Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:00:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Patrick Collins- MoS  (Read 2859 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Patrick Collins- MoS
« Reply #1 on October 23, 2011, 10:18:25 am by GazLaz »
When have we ever had a FA cup run?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 23, 2011, 10:23:22 am by Wiltshire Exile »
Patronising? I don't think so. I, for one, am very concerned about the future of my club. Collins has got it spot on when he says: \"They [i.e.the players] will have no feeling for the club, no obligation to the fans, no loyalty to anything except the thought of making real money for themselves, and for the man who took them to Doncaster. In the short term, at least, we won't be seeing anyone sign for the Rovers on 1, 2 or 3 year deals..........although I hope that I'm proved wrong.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 23, 2011, 10:28:54 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Wiltshire Exile\" post=193572
Patronising? I don't think so. I, for one, am very concerned about the future of my club. Collins has got it spot on when he says: \"They [i.e.the players] will have no feeling for the club, no obligation to the fans, no loyalty to anything except the thought of making real money for themselves, and for the man who took them to Doncaster. In the short term, at least, we won't be seeing anyone sign for the Rovers on 1, 2 or 3 year deals..........although I hope that I'm proved wrong.

Or it may work?

I want a top move so play my best for scouts to watch me so we have a win win situation dont we?

The key fact is the players at the club love football not Doncaster Rovers, the players brought in no different to the Stock / Copps of life they look after number one - totally simple as!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 23, 2011, 10:42:03 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Brilliant quotes stand out from that article:

\"McKay is a football agent. He is well-connected, apparently wealthy and typical of his trade. Some find it deeply objectionable that agents should take so much from the game. Others regard it as a regrettable fact of life; monkeys climb trees, pickpockets lift wallets, football agents make unspeakable piles of easy money. It’s what they do.\"

\"In his place came Dean Saunders, whose managerial talents are less than obvious. It is said that Saunders will have the power of veto over these comings and goings. Since Saunders is himself represented by McKay, this may not be an insuperable problem.\"

\"In fairness to McKay — which is not a phrase that trips from the keyboard — he is candid about his motivation.
‘I’ve been honest enough to admit I’m only here for the money,’ he says. He is being paid a token £100 a week for his efforts but, as he admits: ‘I don’t need the £100 and I probably won’t even invoice for it.’
Don’t you just love that ‘probably’?\"

And the nail on the head......

\"On one level it is almost laughable, a bizarre and cynical distortion of all the values that the game is supposed to embody.
But if I were a fan of Doncaster Rovers, I shouldn’t find it funny. For I suspect it will all end in tears. And Willie McKay will not be shedding them.\"

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 23, 2011, 10:43:05 am by RoversAlias »
It bloody well isn't though Norfolk! It is not the same in the slightest. I've already made this point about three times to different people currently drinking the McKay kool-aid, a player like Stock coming to this club, investing in the LONG TERM philosophy of the club, moves his family into the area and commits to staying for 2, 3, 4 years or whatever, is most definitely, 100% undeniably different to somebody who comes in for three months because their agent has said \"hey, look Herita/Pascal/Mahamadou/Whoever is on the books but can't find a club, come and play at this club for 10 games and we'll see if it gets you a move to Switzerland\". It is so different on every level. How many times under SOD did we hear players in their interviews after signing say \"I believe in the long term plans and philosophy that this club has\". They have signed partially because the future vision of the club has been sold to them. Sure, they don't stay for the 3 years of their contract sometimes, and sometimes, like the two you highlighted - Stock and Coppinger - they do indeed stay for three years and beyond, because they believe in the club, have an affinity with it and want to see both themselves AND THE CLUB do well.

For crying out loud, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people on this forum do not seem to grasp that at all.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 23, 2011, 10:43:07 am by Wellred »
Does anyone actually take anything serious written in the Daily Mail?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 23, 2011, 10:44:07 am by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"GazLaz\" post=193568
When have we ever had a FA cup run?

Exactly- typical of Collins' \"journalism by numbers.\" We're a small club so we have FA Cup runs.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 23, 2011, 10:50:29 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=193591
It bloody well isn't though Norfolk! It is not the same in the slightest. I've already made this point about three times to different people currently drinking the McKay kool-aid, a player like Stock coming to this club, investing in the LONG TERM philosophy of the club, moves his family into the area and commits to staying for 2, 3, 4 years or whatever, is most definitely, 100% undeniably different to somebody who comes in for three months because their agent has said \"hey, look Herita/Pascal/Mahamadou/Whoever is on the books but can't find a club, come and play at this club for 10 games and we'll see if it gets you a move to Switzerland\". It is so different on every level. How many times under SOD did we hear players in their interviews after signing say \"I believe in the long term plans and philosophy that this club has\". They have signed partially because the future vision of the club has been sold to them. Sure, they don't stay for the 3 years of their contract sometimes, and sometimes, like the two you highlighted - Stock and Coppinger - they do indeed stay for three years and beyond, because they believe in the club, have an affinity with it and want to see both themselves AND THE CLUB do well.

For crying out loud, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people on this forum do not seem to grasp that at all.

For goodness sake get a grip man.

You are hardly likely to hear a player say. Yes I have been offered a good deal at Doncaster much more than I was getting at my previous club and I didn't like the Manager anyway.
The place is a dump but I guess I can put up with it if they are prepared to pay me a good wedge each week.

as you rightly say. \"For crying out loud, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people on this forum do not seem to grasp that at all\"

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 23, 2011, 11:04:17 am by RoversAlias »
Second time you've told me to \"get a grip\" in the last 24 hours Wellred if I remember rightly. I think we can both accuse the other of being naive here and I feel we're just going to keep going around in circles until the league table shouts the loudest at the end of April.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 23, 2011, 11:04:57 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193595
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=193591

For goodness sake get a grip man.

You are hardly likely to hear a player say. Yes I have been offered a good deal at Doncaster much more than I was getting at my previous club and I didn't like the Manager anyway.
The place is a dump but I guess I can put up with it if they are prepared to pay me a good wedge each week.

as you rightly say. \"For crying out loud, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people on this forum do not seem to grasp that at all\"

Must be a Donny thing really must be Jr always said people did not believe they would get new stadium until they were sat in it!!

I think fundermentally there are people on here that think the board are not being straight with them which I think is very danagerous cos without JR and the boys there is no Rovers!

You will push this too far and you have been warned......The club are being extremely transparent and all approved by the FA and of course its might not work but was the previous way the club run? Losing millions, have no youth structure and still losing week in week out?

Or of course if you lot were in charge you would just throw money after bad wont you lose millions year on year cos a fool and his money and all that!

But hey the board are making all this up, as they are creaming it in arent they? NOW YOU LISTEN!!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2011, 11:20:37 am by RoversAlias »
Perfect example of what I've been talking about Norfolk. You are just accepting John Ryan's word as gospel which once upon a time would be fair enough, he's given us no reason up to a point to ever distrust him.

But the manner in which he unequivocally backed Sean O'Driscoll only to make it apparent hours later that he did not at all back him, didn't sit right with me and I have no doubts at all that John Ryan is a very handy media player who knows exactly what he's doing when he says what he says to the press and to all of us fans.

I don't for a second believe Saunders coming in was such a last minute, middle of the night occurence. And because of that I struggle to fully trust everything that comes out of the club now. With Sean gagged on gardening leave and an agent now with his many grubby finger in the DRFC pies, I just am not going to blindly follow the club in it's actions without questioning them. I will still be at every home game this season (bar the Watford match because I have somewhere else to be unfortunately) and I will still make it to the away games that I can. I'll come in full voice to cheer on the Rovers but to do so without for one second stopping to say \"well...this doesn't sit with me too well\" would be foolish in my opinion.

The argument \"without JR there'd be no Rovers!\", whilst extremely true, cannot just be wheeled out in every single club related debate from now until the end of time. It has been a very tiresome way for some fans to try and win a debate for a couple of years now and it doesn't hold up anymore because that is irrelevant to how he runs the club today. I love JR for everything he has done for thie club, I admire the man and I know as we all do that he is a true supporter who always wants to achieve the best for Doncaster Rovers Football Club. But it doesn't mean the man can't make mistakes. It doesn't mean that everything he has done within the club between 1998 and today is brilliant and a masterstroke (Steve Wignall anybody?). He is only human like all of us despite our cries that he is the second coming, a saviour etc. Not disputing the claim that he is a saviour to this football club at all by the way.

Some people seem to have gotten it into their heads that the naysayers to McKay's regime are suddenly just against the whole club and everything about it. I certainly am not, I am just against the manner in which the SOD-to-Saunders situation has been handled and made to look, and how Willie McKay has been brought in to 'help' us which I don't think is neccessary.

As for \"You will push this too far and you have been warned\"...what the hell does that even mean Norfolk? Please explain what kind of bizarre threat that is?

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2011, 11:28:41 am by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"Norfolk N Chance\" post=193603

You will push this too far and you have been warned

Or of course if you lot were in charge you would just throw money after bad wont you lose millions year on year cos a fool and his money and all that!

But hey the board are making all this up, as they are creaming it in arent they? NOW YOU LISTEN!!!

Bit early in the day to be drunk isnt it??. Warned of what?? Listen to what?? Enlighten us.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 23, 2011, 11:38:21 am by DonnyOsmond »
It works - We end up in the Premier League with £70M.

It doesn't work - We end up in League One without a crippling wage bill and with a bit of spare cash to add some depth to the squad.

Neither are that bad really.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2011, 02:00:11 pm by Standanista »
Quote from: \"DonnyOsmond\" post=193616
It works - We end up in the Premier League with £70M.

It doesn't work - We end up in League One without a crippling wage bill and with a bit of spare cash to add some depth to the squad.

Neither are that bad really.

Well said.  Or we end up somewhere halfway, i.e. stay in the Championship.  But personally I prefer the Premier League/£70M bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012