Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:28:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 29829 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #390 on April 23, 2024, 10:07:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
In those immortal words (and the biggest understatement of all time) We've given it a right good go!

Omg. This thread has to be saved for prosperity. A historic record of all our feelings, hopes, dreams, reality checks,  the emerging of light at the end of a dark tunnel. It's all here. And it's not over....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #391 on April 23, 2024, 10:10:13 pm by roversontheup »
I’m glad I’m not a sports journalist reporting on Rovers at present. Would have run out of descriptions and superlatives to use. Maybe resort to …”just read last report and repeat!”

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #392 on April 23, 2024, 10:26:06 pm by Bills view »
Just reading through this thread from the beginning.

Unfathomable what we are doing.

Everything crossed we keep the run going for a few more games.

The team will gain legendary status.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #393 on April 23, 2024, 10:28:21 pm by drfchound »
I’m glad I’m not a sports journalist reporting on Rovers at present. Would have run out of descriptions and superlatives to use. Maybe resort to …”just read last report and repeat!”

Might get a mention on Calendar and Look North tomorrow seeing as Leeds aren’t playing tonight.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #394 on April 23, 2024, 10:31:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Might get a mention on Calendar and Look North tomorrow seeing as Leeds aren’t playing tonight.
Just reading through this thread from the beginning.

Unfathomable what we are doing.

Everything crossed we keep the run going for a few more games.

The team will gain legendary status.

Yes, I hope someone can find some words, cos I'm really struggling to make sense of all this.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #395 on April 23, 2024, 10:41:24 pm by andy didcott »
I’m finding it hard to believe this is happening.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #396 on April 23, 2024, 10:48:34 pm by Pancho Regan »
One more point guarantees the play offs.

In fact, we only need to better any of crewe, Crawley or Barrow’s results - even if we lost, and Crewe also lost by the same margin, we would be ok. Or if we lost and Barrow didn’t win..

I can’t believe we have come this far so quickly..  it is going to happen, isn’t it.?

I think Barrow have lost it, their morale must be rock bottom.

Of course, the fact we have sneaked into the play-offs at the last minute due to our incredible run of wins, means we still need a point to avoid anyone pushing us out.
But who would ever have imagined we'd be in this position with one game to go?!

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #397 on April 23, 2024, 10:57:36 pm by Fal »
I think what I am loving is the togetherness of our fan base, no longer arguing between ourselves and just living in the moment!

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #398 on April 23, 2024, 10:59:17 pm by Peebles Rover »
If this whole thread was turned into a book, you simply wouldn't believe it! Totally surreal what we've done to this point. Just get it over the line now!

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #399 on April 23, 2024, 11:06:40 pm by turnbull for england »
I think what I am loving is the togetherness of our fan base, no longer arguing between ourselves and just living in the moment!

There's always off topic

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #400 on April 24, 2024, 08:17:05 am by ncRover »

In fact, we only need to better any of crewe, Crawley or Barrow’s results - even if we lost, and Crewe also lost by the same margin, we would be ok. Or if we lost and Barrow didn’t win..

I can’t believe we have come this far so quickly..  it is going to happen, isn’t it.?

Of course, the fact we have sneaked into the play-offs at the last minute due to our incredible run of wins, means we still need a point to avoid anyone pushing us out.

Wild sounds dejected. His team aren’t doing the basics he says.

https://x.com/barrowafc/status/1782890979315298737?s=46

The problem here is that I fear Barrow will drop out and Bradford will sneak in. They have momentum unlike the others. They have an easy home game v Newport on Saturday.

A Bradford play-off final would have a tremendous atmosphere though. All the other clubs have small fanbases.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 08:22:26 am by ncRover »

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #401 on April 24, 2024, 08:25:21 am by colincramb »

Wild sounds dejected. His team aren’t doing the basics he says.

https://x.com/barrowafc/status/1782890979315298737?s=46

The problem here is that I fear Barrow will drop out and Bradford will sneak in. They have momentum unlike the others. They have an easy home game v Newport on Saturday.

A Bradford play-off final would have a tremendous atmosphere though. All the other clubs have small fanbases.

Hmmm, we always appear to struggle against Bradford and their physicality. Would rather they didn’t make it all if I’m being honest. Would be some playoff final though - I reckon between the 2 clubs we’d get close to 60k there

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #402 on April 24, 2024, 08:40:43 am by Upton Rover »
If this whole thread was turned into a book, you simply wouldn't believe it! Totally surreal what we've done to this point. Just get it over the line now!
It’s proper Roy if the Rovers stuff, if someone said you got to win 10 on the trot to get into the playoffs, you would have thought Omg no way can a team do that, I knew we would go on quite a great run, but I’m lost for words with this run.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #403 on April 24, 2024, 08:44:15 am by Upton Rover »
My mate Bob is a builder who is currently doing some work for me.

I asked him that very question & without any further prevarication he simply answered “Yes we can”!”.

I never argue with Bob.
Good old Bob

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #404 on April 24, 2024, 08:48:35 am by drfcsteve »
Has anyone ever done what we’ve done before? Climb from such a low starting point to a play off place?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #405 on April 24, 2024, 08:52:00 am by Barmby Rover »
Has anyone ever done what we’ve done before? Climb from such a low starting point to a play off place?

Sunderland

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #406 on April 24, 2024, 10:16:44 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
It’s proper Roy if the Rovers stuff, if someone said you got to win 10 on the trot to get into the playoffs, you would have thought Omg no way can a team do that, I knew we would go on quite a great run, but I’m lost for words with this run.

But basically, that's what some people did and, put a bet on it. The threads are here for all to see.

The other thing I find remarkable is the timing. The virtual impossible, becoming improbable, to possible, to probable, while others faulted, like the parting of the waves.

If BSTs description of Penney's 'Juggernaut' team is apt, then what describes this team? A Nuclear shock wave? Flattened everything in its  path at an alarming rate, leaving devastation behind. Tsunami even?

It feels like there's an unworldly force at work.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #407 on April 24, 2024, 02:31:29 pm by drfchound »

Sunderland

Barnsley,  Bristol Rovers.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #408 on April 24, 2024, 03:18:38 pm by NickDRFC »

Sunderland

Barnsley,  Bristol Rovers.

I was having a look at some of those turnarounds earlier.

Barnsley were 21st in the table after 22 games and then in their last 24 games, they only lost 3 times. They drew 5 and won 16 - 2.21 points per game. The start of that run was the best bit - 7 consecutive wins - but they actually had a bit of a slow end to the season, winning only 3 of their last 7 games.

Bristol Rovers were as low as 23rd after the 2nd game and 20th after the 10th, but maybe a bit early for comparison. After 20 games they were 16th, but then went on a run that saw them lose only 3 times in the next 26. They also drew 6, meaning 17 wins and a very similar PPG to Barnsley - 2.19. 4 consecutive wins was their best run, and 9 in their last 12 propelled them to 3rd.

Sunderland were bottom of the table after losing their first 4 games, and although they recovered they were still stuttering at game 26, when they were 12th. What followed was the most impressive run of these 3 teams - 3 draws and just the 1 defeat in 20 games. 2.55 PPG and 17 unbeaten at one stage, although a best of only 5 wins on the bounce. What was more impressive was that Sunderland capped it with a title triumph.

These are all more sustained runs than we've had, but none matched the 10 wins on the bounce. Our 13 wins and 2 draws from our last 16 also put us at 2.56 PPG, so just above Sunderland. I'd say that Sunderland's is the most impressive turnaround of those 3, but ours is arguably just as remarkable.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #409 on April 24, 2024, 05:32:28 pm by Upton Rover »
No one as ever been in our position after 36 games, and gone onto make the playoffs

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #410 on April 24, 2024, 05:43:18 pm by Paul Simpson »
Fairytale stuff! I still can’t believe what the club have achieved from such a poor position due to terrible bad luck at the beginning of the season. Hats off to everybody involved including us supporters!! Long may the run continue

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #411 on April 24, 2024, 06:00:05 pm by adamtherover »
I'm not saying I fore saw it, but in about October time, I. Commented that if we are anywhere near the top 7, at game 30, we were in with a chance, as the remaining games had a majority of sides that I thought were not gonna be play off material.  I was wrong about crewe, crawley and barrow, but right about the possibility of picking up a good chunk of points.  Shame I never bet..

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #412 on April 25, 2024, 04:58:26 pm by Upton Rover »
I'm not saying I fore saw it, but in about October time, I. Commented that if we are anywhere near the top 7, at game 30, we were in with a chance, as the remaining games had a majority of sides that I thought were not gonna be play off material.  I was wrong about crewe, crawley and barrow, but right about the possibility of picking up a good chunk of points.  Shame I never bet..
I don’t understand your post, at game 30 we were 20th on 32points close to the drop, so at game 30 we were way off 7th

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #413 on April 25, 2024, 05:30:35 pm by colincramb »
It really is remarkable this run. Should we win on Saturday, we will have won just shy of a quarter of the total 46 league games in one go. Insane

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #414 on April 25, 2024, 05:59:40 pm by adamtherover »
I don’t understand your post, at game 30 we were 20th on 32points close to the drop, so at game 30 we were way off 7th
I was more meaning about from game 30,which I think was Sutton, we had a realistic chance of picking up a large amount of points, which we did, imagine if we were anywhere near mid table at game 30, we would have got autos....

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #415 on April 25, 2024, 07:04:55 pm by Drover »
I remember admiring Cambridge utd in 1989-90 season,they was 16th in the old 4th Division on 1st April and finished the season 6th,after also suffering from a bad fxiture congestion,playing games sat,mon,wed,sun and fri,mon,wed,sat,playing something like 14 games in 5 weeks and then went on to win the play-offs,not quite as low as we was,but it shows there is no surprise for the form team to win the play-offs,now who would you say that is this seasons play-offs?

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #416 on April 25, 2024, 07:20:52 pm by RoversInSpain »
I was more meaning about from game 30,which I think was Sutton, we had a realistic chance of picking up a large amount of points, which we did, imagine if we were anywhere near mid table at game 30, we would have got autos....
After Sutton, game 29 we were 22nd, game 30 we beat Tranmere and shot up to 20th..

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #417 on April 25, 2024, 07:34:14 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I was chatting to one of my West Ham pals about Rovers today. Nobody in the football world can believe what’s we’re doing here, it just doesn’t make sense!

If I’m totally honest though, I feel oddly ambivalent whether we get promoted or not. I think that it’s because I’m just relieved that we’ve turned the season around so I’m quite happy whatever happens. And that’s exactly why I’m not a football manager!!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #418 on April 25, 2024, 08:01:26 pm by ravenrover »
After Sutton, game 29 we were 22nd, game 30 we beat Tranmere and shot up to 20th..
So after game 30, not at game 30?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #419 on April 25, 2024, 09:06:47 pm by Upton Rover »
So after game 30, not at game 30?
confused, but let’s enjoy this remarkable feat,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012