Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:51:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Big team...Little team  (Read 2812 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Big team...Little team
« on April 22, 2014, 01:58:31 pm by wing commander »
   I have always believed that descisions even themselves out over a season but I'm genuienly starting to wonder if they really do...Of course every team in the country thinks they get the worst of it but it really feels like we do.....

There has been so many this year compared to only the odd slice of luck coming back our way...It makes you wonder whether its worth putting them all on dvd and sending them to the man in charge of the refs...That may do more harm and maybe even mark us out even more for special attention but if all the descisions both good and bad were given correctly at the time,ive no doubt we would already be safe....

Is it just my perception fuelled by disappointment or is there really miles in the notion that big teams are favoured over smaller ones...??

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Big team...Little team
« Reply #1 on April 22, 2014, 02:00:48 pm by Filo »
Why don't we try and recall all the ones that have gone against us and all the ones that have gone for us this season in this thread and see if they really do even themselves out

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 22, 2014, 02:06:24 pm by Filo »
Here's a few to start off with

Against us

Watford pen a yard outside the box
Stonewall pen denied at QPR
Stonewall pen denied at home to Barnsley
Foul on Tamas leading to Ipswich winning goal
Miete red card Yesterday
Robinson goal ruled offside when clearly on, can't remember who against

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 22, 2014, 02:14:31 pm by BigColSutherland »
Barnsley goal disallowed
Watford penalty not given

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2014, 02:41:44 pm by IDM »
Stonewall penalty vs Bolton

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 22, 2014, 02:53:20 pm by GazLaz »
People won't remember the things that went for us. That's not how human nature works.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 22, 2014, 02:56:17 pm by pib »
I remember when we were awarded a penalty against Wigan even though Husband toppled over under little more than a light breeze.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 22, 2014, 02:58:29 pm by Donnybax »
Turnbull not sent off at home to Stevenage.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 22, 2014, 03:12:13 pm by BigColSutherland »
7-4 to Victim Complex United.

Come on Evenouters - where else have we got away with one?

Hang on, Filo has gifted us two "Decent ref, missed a knocked on pen for Forest and got conned when he booked Jones, best this season by a mile!"

7-6!!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2014, 03:17:34 pm by pib »
I didn't think the penalty claim vs Bolton was one. If you agree, then VCU will have one of their seven goals disallowed, I suppose.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2014, 04:51:41 pm by Filo »
7-4 to Victim Complex United.

Come on Evenouters - where else have we got away with one?

Hang on, Filo has gifted us two "Decent ref, missed a knocked on pen for Forest and got conned when he booked Jones, best this season by a mile!"

7-6!!

I only see one there, Jones is our player

7-5 ;)

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2014, 05:43:28 pm by BigColSutherland »
VCU disallow one! I can't decide if that's good or bad.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2014, 05:48:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
The push on husband - clear penno.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2014, 05:49:43 pm by PDX_Rover »
Anyway, we got away with a huge one last season.... Copps was offside for the tap in...

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2014, 06:18:54 pm by phil o sophical »
Which was the game at the Keepmoat when Sam virtually sat on their striker after a bit of a defensive mix up

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 22, 2014, 06:40:12 pm by eastender »
Which was the game at the Keepmoat when Sam virtually sat on their striker after a bit of a defensive mix up

Watford's Troy Deeney

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #16 on April 22, 2014, 06:54:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So at least a quarter of games are determined by refs errors. Does any other sport tolerate such a high rate of poor officiating. Not blaming the refs but they need help when the game is being ruined and fans feel cheated when results are influenced so badly.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 22, 2014, 08:56:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Let me get this right. Are there people who actually believe that referees aren't intimidated by 'bigger' teams or teams with the loudest support? If so I find that astonishing after witnessing Donny being on the receiving end of this in just about every game in five years of Championship football.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 22, 2014, 09:03:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't think there is systemic bias and I certainly don't think there is conscious bias. But I do think there are some examples of unconscious bias by refs against us.

A few days ago, I gave the example if the way the ref dealt with perceived time wasting when we played QPR at home. It was clear that the ref was working on the assumption that we would be playing for a draw at 1-1, whereas QPR wouldn't. And the fact that he booked Quinn for time wasting after scoring, but didn't speak to Austin after he spent significantly longer getting back to the halfway line after scoring was illuminating.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 22, 2014, 10:18:55 pm by albie »
Sub conscious bias is still bias nonetheless.

I do think it is harder for smaller clubs to get the marginal decisions, the ones that are in the gift of the officials. A stand out error will usually draw comment and attention, and that comment is usually louder when the big boys are involved...controversy is what the media sell after all.

Truth is the football authorities could get rid of a lot of the poor decisions by just allowing a video ref, like in rugby, for the crucial calls. The fact that they havent tells you everything... they want the column inches that keeps the debate raging.

If a smaller club like Rovers is disadvantaged, they don't care. The Championship is easier to sell to TV and advertisers if you replace Yeovil and TLOD with Wolves and the Blunts. That's the footy business these days!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 23, 2014, 05:06:34 pm by PDX_Rover »
Big John Little john, what a way to grow.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 23, 2014, 07:38:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's the responsibility of everyone involved in the game to improve things and that will include a bigger responsibility from the players.

If we go back to refs being allowed to play on when it's unclear who fouled who, instead of feeling pressured in to making a decision, a lot of the antics from players will stop as they'll just have to get up and get on with it. Less pressure on refs just may give them more breathing space to get the big decisions more right than wrong.

If they can be backed up by video/replay evidence on big calls, then surely it's got to improve the game.

Having said all that, as we can't count up to 90 minutes accurately what chance of we got. Timekeeping is the first thing I'd take out of referees hands which will also kill many conspiracy theories. 

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 29, 2014, 07:50:04 pm by turnbull for england »
On the tlo...  big club debate  2 of tonight bottom 3 are playing and bbc reports thus

Birmingham manager Lee Clark welcomes back Hayden Mullins from his loan spell with Notts County to boost their Championship survival hopes

Relegation-threatened Charlton will assess Chris Solly after the defender returned to action following a spell on the sidelines with a knee problem.

Might be just a turn of phrase but which side would you think is two points behind the other one with same games played?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 29, 2014, 08:07:11 pm by RobTheRover »
Big John Little john, what a way to grow.

Loved that show.  "Big John found the fountain of youth, he had a little drink, and that magic water is the thing that made him shrink"

Quality 70s kids telly.  That and The Red Hand Gang were my favourites.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012