Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:17:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Do you want a 'take it outside' section of the forum?

Yes
No
There must be a better/different solution

Author Topic: Take it outside  (Read 4010 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Take it outside
« on June 08, 2014, 06:28:26 pm by Copps is Magic »
Every thread is descending in to petty points scoring battles between a handful of posters. The summer (sic) heat must be getting to all of us. But the variety of users posting on the forum is going down.

The admin team have threatened to come down hard but people are just coming back saying this closes down free speech.

I believe it was Vivarovers who put forward the idea of a 'take it outside' section. A serene place where any thread that descends into egos clashing with other gets moved. Thus, certain posters get a place to play and the main forum can stay clutter free. It seemed like a good solution to the problem to me. Do people support it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Take it outside
« Reply #1 on June 08, 2014, 06:39:47 pm by The Red Baron »
I thought there was a "Take it Outside" thread already- the one started by Forum Admin today. People seem keen to fight their battles on there rather than spilling over to the other threads.  ;)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 08, 2014, 06:51:11 pm by Copps is Magic »
Threads to pin to the the top of the take it outside section.

Was Sean O'Driscoll Rovers' best ever manager? (All discussion here)
Do you like John Ryan? (the definitive answer)
BillyStubbsTears vs. BigColSutherland (are they secretly the same person?)
Is Paul Quinn a good football player?

etc. etc.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 08, 2014, 06:56:50 pm by BigColSutherland »
Threads to pin to the the top of the take it outside section.

Was Sean O'Driscoll Rovers' best ever manager? (All discussion here)
Do you like John Ryan? (the definitive answer)
BillyStubbsTears vs. BigColSutherland (are they secretly the same person?)
Is Paul Quinn a good football player?

etc. etc.

60 years ago 3 triplets were separated at birth. Their names?

William, Colin and Michael.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 08, 2014, 07:25:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye. And two of them are reight Kitsons.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 08, 2014, 07:28:24 pm by PDX_Rover »
Is that Outside in the George Michael sense?

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 08, 2014, 08:06:29 pm by BigColSutherland »

The skill is working out which two.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 08, 2014, 08:23:42 pm by idler »

The skill is working out which two.
We could always run a poll on it.  ;)

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 08, 2014, 08:32:35 pm by sheffield exile1 »
If we have to resort to a "take it outside" initiative then I think we should seriously look at what we are ...."All fellow Doncaster Rovers fans"......or NOT....even discussing this concept is depressing.
Its a sad reflection of the digital age gone wrong.
In days gone by you turned up in a pub outside an away ground, spotted someone or a group with Rovers colours on or Donny accents and joined in as one....now it seems like points scoring is all important as is pedantic comments...and behaviour which would likely get you chinned in said boozer! Very sad.....

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 08, 2014, 08:33:24 pm by MachoMadness »
Good idea on paper, sadly all it will do is encourage certain members to act like Kitsons to one another which will bleed over into the main forum and make it worse than ever. The current strategy of stricter modding should be fine. At the end of the day, it's a forum for discussing all things DRFC, not a therapy session, people should be mature enough to face the consequences if they're being pricks towards other posters without crying about police states and free speech.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 08, 2014, 08:39:56 pm by RobTheRover »
If we have to resort to a "take it outside" initiative then I think we should seriously look at what we are ...."All fellow Doncaster Rovers fans"......or NOT....even discussing this concept is depressing.
Its a sad reflection of the digital age gone wrong.
In days gone by you turned up in a pub outside an away ground, spotted someone or a group with Rovers colours on or Donny accents and joined in as one....now it seems like points scoring is all important as is pedantic comments...and behaviour which would likely get you chinned in said boozer! Very sad.....

Spot on Sheff. Twitter and Facebook have an awful lot to answer for. Reading the Doncaster Rovers Facebook page usually ends up with me shaking my head n disbelief. I don't know how people can sometimes be so awful to one another on there.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2014, 09:09:31 pm by jucyberry »
Because they are faceless Rob, pure and simple. The net gives the perfect opportunity to let self censorship lapse. Lord knows sometimes it is hard to sit on your hands when people are being vile to one an other. Usually it goes in and out without too much notice being taken but speaking for myself when I see something posted that is patently unfair it does bring out the tenacious commentator in me. I don't like this whole wriggling over to another site and name calling that seems to be happening more and more just lately.

At the end of the day this isn't life and death, it isn't war, it is supposed to be a shared interest that for the majority of posters is as local as it can be. You will never obtain total harmony, human nature doesn't allow it but a little respect goes a lot further than the meanness and spite that wouldn't be out of place amongst a bunch of pre schoolers who haven't yet learned any better.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2014, 09:16:33 pm by IDM »
Simple answer to the OP, no, if folks want to have petty arguments for the sake of it, have them on some other forum...

drfc-steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2014, 09:26:19 pm by drfc-steve »
Facebook is faceless? People use their personal accounts on there so I don't think it is tbh.

Certainly not as faceless as having a username on here/a forum (although most know who each other are).

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2014, 09:37:41 pm by BigColSutherland »
Facebook is faceless? People use their personal accounts on there so I don't think it is tbh.

Certainly not as faceless as having a username on here/a forum (although most know who each other are).
Agreed Steve. Sad was seen as the main protagonist, but most on here know who he is. To trot out this "anonymous" line is a lazy soundbite and ignores the points being made.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 08, 2014, 09:45:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's not so much about whether someone is anonymous, it's more the de-personalising nature of on-line interaction. Even if you know who someone is, you've no way of judging whether an apparently nasty comment was meant in good humour, or how someone is really responding to an interaction. The lack of non-verbal hints effectively makes us all autistic in the way we interact with each other.

I tried explaining to a Russian colleague a few years ago (who was mildly autistic too, as it happens) that in Yorkshire, calling someone "pal" can be bone-chillingly threatening and calling someone a Kitson can be a friendly salutation. It all depends on the (mostly non-verbal) delivery.

Strip that away and folk read what they want to read into both other people's posts and other people's reactions.

'Course, there are also some bell-ends who genuinely like winding people up, but there are in real life too. The issue there I guess is that they have less chance of getting chinned when they do it on-line.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2014, 09:52:41 pm by BigColSutherland »
Arguably the online world has got it right in some regards. It baffles me that some people think that because someone is annoying you it's acceptable to physically attack them.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2014, 09:54:37 pm by jucyberry »
Ok, I'll put it another way, there are those on every forum, every site who will be as close to being anonymous as it is possible to be, some people might have more than one name.. It happens, we all know that. And yes you might know a good few of the people, but can you say honestly that you know every one?

That is what I mean by it being faceless. We read the posts, look at the photos, but how many people know each and every person on their friends list, and every one else's  intimately?

And surely those posting horrible things about people they do know really over step the mark.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2014, 10:25:38 pm by bpoolrover »
I don't no sad rovers but to be fair to him he has made some very good points and certain people have jumped on his back very quickly,well red makes plenty of good points to and as soon as he posts it does seem like people look to talk down to him ,this forum is no different to any other clubs and I can only see what the mods are doing making it very clicky,I've not seen any threats made so can't really see a problem

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 08, 2014, 11:20:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Arguably the online world has got it right in some regards. It baffles me that some people think that because someone is annoying you it's acceptable to physically attack them.
Colin

I didn't say it was acceptable.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 08, 2014, 11:22:07 pm by BigColSutherland »
Apologies William if you felt I inferred you personally believed that. I meant in a broader sense.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 08, 2014, 11:31:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No offence taken Colin (we'll stop this love in eventually - should be implicitly accepted that no offence is meant or taken, but there you go).

There is a point though. Barbed banter is a kind of psychological bullying if it is done with the express intention of winding people up. Psychological bullying is probably preferable to a punch in the face, but it's still anti-social. I've done it and I cringe when I go back and read some of the stuff I've written. I'd consider someone else who wrote some of the things that I've written to be a reight toss pot.

I suppose the issue is that in the real world, folk tend to gravitate to those with a similar outlook on life - if you enjoy a bit of robust humour, your mates are likely to enjoy the same and to take it in the spirit it's intended. If you're a gret jessie, you'll prefer to be around sensitive souls. Problem here is that the lot of us are lumped together.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 08, 2014, 11:37:44 pm by donnybel »
BST that makes  a lot of people on here look like miserable, moaning, argumentative old gits.  :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 09, 2014, 10:16:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Good job our distant ancestors didn't have the same hang ups chinning folk, otherwise my exquisite fizhog would never have come to pass.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27720617

TinyPortal © 2005-2012