Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:36:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Germany calling  (Read 2881 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Germany calling
« on July 04, 2014, 07:04:15 pm by River Don »
Looked efficient and organised again, didn't really sparkle. Got the goal and killed the game.

I hadn't realised it's now 24 years since they won it. Fail this time and they're getting on towards 30 years of hurt territory.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Re: Germany calling
« Reply #1 on July 04, 2014, 07:15:36 pm by Copps is Magic »
Let's be fair. Although they haven't won it for 30 years they've finished 2nd and 3rd (twice) since then. They have also won a European championship and again come 2nd twice. It is hardly 30 years of hurt. No team has consistently come close to Germany and Brazil over the last (must be) 80 years now.

Germany are not just efficient and organised, they're also quality. The winners of their semi will win the title IMO.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 04, 2014, 09:48:56 pm by BobG »
And what's really interesting about the quality of the Germans is all that comment some years ago (early 2000's?) about how poor they were. The big question then has to be 'What did they do to get from where they were to where they are?'

BobG

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 04, 2014, 09:54:14 pm by TheFunk »
And what's really interesting about the quality of the Germans is all that comment some years ago (early 2000's?) about how poor they were. The big question then has to be 'What did they do to get from where they were to where they are?'

BobG
A major part of it was by stealing other country's players.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 04, 2014, 09:55:54 pm by BobG »
Cool! Why didn't we think of that then?

BobG

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 04, 2014, 09:57:34 pm by TheFunk »
We tried it with Owen Hargreaves so we can't even that bit right  :)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 04, 2014, 10:03:23 pm by River Don »
Do you get the feeling international football is steadily heading towards irrelevance because of the mass movement of populations and players playing for various grandparents countries?

Owen Hargreves ought to have been Canadian, chose England and might have been German. Bit of a joke really.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 04, 2014, 10:04:39 pm by BobG »
Lol! Forgot about him! Can't we sign up some Taffies and some Scotties cos their great grandads were english?

Oh. Hold on a minute.....

Bob

PS And yes RD. 'International' is well on the way to being a meaningless noise.

Bob

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 04, 2014, 10:21:29 pm by River Don »
If my best mates lads turn out to be decent footballers they will be eligible for England, Scotland and India.

I have another good friend from school whose kids are eligible for England and India. Another England and Jamaica. If I get around to it, the lad would be eligible for England, Holland and Sri Lanka.

That's just four of us from the same year at Adwick school.

Hag

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 04, 2014, 11:50:30 pm by Hag »
 :that: Agree 100%
Silva out,and  Neymar must be half dead the way he went off.... c'mon Germany.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 05, 2014, 06:27:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well Neymar's out for the rest of the tournament apparently. Won't miss him falling over when anyone infringes his airspace.

Brazil are like Germany in 1990. Average, poxy, cynical, win at all costs, lots of spoiling, kicks and pushes, and a prima donna up front.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 05, 2014, 06:36:03 pm by aidanstu »
Germany
Looked efficient and organised again, didn't really sparkle. Got the goal and killed the game.

I hadn't realised it's now 24 years since they won it. Fail this time and they're getting on towards 30 years of hurt territory.

Germany have never won it. It's been that long since west Germany won it. Sorry to be pedantic buts it's the equivalent to. GB being formed and they claiming to have won it in 66'

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 06, 2014, 12:53:34 pm by RedRover45 »
Before a ball was kicked in this tournament I said that Argentina would beat Germany in the final. Nothing I have seen thus far changes my opinion.
Brazil will be found wanting by Germany, they have stuttered under the weight of local expectation throughout the tournament.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 07, 2014, 06:45:24 am by GazLaz »
Brazil will beat Germany won't they? Neymar is a big miss but Willian is some player if he is the one to replace him.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:29:56 am by GazLaz »

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 07, 2014, 07:20:29 am by Sad-Rovers »
My lad would be eligible for England, Scotland, RoI and NI.

To be fair he's 5 and he'd already get a game for the Jocks...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 10, 2014, 11:38:49 pm by hoolahoop »
Brazil will beat Germany won't they? Neymar is a big miss but Willian is some player if he is the one to replace him.

Good call Gaz, good job you're not a punter.....least I hope not.
It just shows how very wrong we can be going on gut instinct. Lol

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 11, 2014, 06:48:13 am by GazLaz »

One thing I've learned from punting is never over react to one result. That's why Germany are such a big price in the final. There's definitely value about the Argies. I'm on at 5/1 pre tournament, but 5/4 to lift the trophy is a big price.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 11, 2014, 07:44:11 am by hoolahoop »

One thing I've learned from punting is never over react to one result. That's why Germany are such a big price in the final. There's definitely value about the Argies. I'm on at 5/1 pre tournament, but 5/4 to lift the trophy is a big price.

Not sure 5/4 represents that good a value given how good Germany have been in most of their games . One thing is for sure the Argies are playing at home , however I'm sure the Brazilians in the crowd will be trying to bolster the German support. How Brazil must be hating this situation ......it could turn nasty in Rio. I hope not.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 11, 2014, 07:51:55 am by GazLaz »
Before the semi finals Argentina would have been jollys to beat Germany. It's a massive swing on just one set of games.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 11, 2014, 08:06:53 am by PDX_Rover »
After Germany's relatively poor showing at France '98 and Euro 2000, they went back to the drawing board and put a lot of resources into youth development with an emphasis on control, spatial awareness and skill. They also made massive developments in getting more UEFA 'A' qualified coaches (I believe around 3000 or so - but it may have been more) and they have been building since then.

The results speak for themselves not only at club level but also in the national team. They have got many things spot on in the German game - from the way clubs are run and up and down the 'food chain' so to speak.

Ok, Mueller is a bit of a diver, but apart from that, I can't see anything negative in their approach.

Sad thing is it will take a long long time for England to do something similar. Premier League will resist it. It will take some balls by the FA to go back to brass tacks and coach kids correctly in all aspects of the game.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 11, 2014, 11:41:53 am by graingrover »
How many English professional footballers play in top leagues elsewhere in Europe .. I can't think of a single one.  English being such a global language...lack of foreign language skills is not the main impediment .. I don't really understand why more don't go abroad . Maybe the rewards for just being a non playing squad member in the Premiership are too great.   

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 11, 2014, 11:44:10 am by Filo »
How many English professional footballers play in top leagues elsewhere in Europe .. I can't think of a single one.  English being such a global language...lack of foreign language skills is not the main impediment .. I don't really understand why more don't go abroad . Maybe the rewards for just being a non playing squad member in the Premiership are too great.   

He hasn't played yet, but Ashley Cole is at Roma

We weren't even a international superpower when we had the likes of Hateley, Gasgoigne, ince, Lineker, Hoddle etc. playing in the top leagues in Europe
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:50:34 am by Filo »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 11, 2014, 11:52:49 am by GazLaz »
The wages in this country are so high why would they want to move?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2014, 01:14:24 pm by Donnybax »
Michael mannciene

TinyPortal © 2005-2012