Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:28:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Physical attributes  (Read 3648 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Physical attributes
« on July 30, 2014, 06:00:35 pm by Copps is Magic »
We shouldn't underrate physical attributes in this league.

It basically won it us last time. All opposition fans would say is 'Donny are the biggest team in the league'. If we can keep Quinn and get Jones and Boom Boom fit - then that's three massive giant roman pillars at the back to start with! We have just signed the Main man who we are told is a stocky, strong center forward.

We now have Evina, Tyson and Robinson who are faster than a cheetah on ecstasy.

Then you sprinkle in a little bit of football, T.L.O Coppinger, Forrester et al. and what do you get?

My point is our team, thus far, might not have the footballing pedigree or goal scoring records we might have hoped for, but maybe it counts less when you've got the physicality we now have?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Re: Physical attributes
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2014, 07:39:15 am by andyst79 »
As I've mentioned in another thread not many teams will fancy playing us. I believe we have a lot of attributes to hurt teams, especially on the counter attack. Also Rob Jones head is a ball magnet especially when teams are void of ideas & just lump it long.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 31, 2014, 08:01:39 am by PDX_Rover »
Shaping up nicely IMO.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2014, 08:50:10 am by southwestexile »
Agreed

But I hope we show a bit more footballing magic than our last spell in league 1

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2014, 09:11:03 am by RobTheRover »
I'm sure we will

We might have won the league 2 years ago but it's not a season that I will remember fondly for scintillating football.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2014, 09:32:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm sure we will

We might have won the league 2 years ago but it's not a season that I will remember fondly for scintillating football.

Christ but we've become a bunch of spoilt jessies.

We won Tier 3 but we didn't do it by playing like Barcelona. We bullied opponents and overwhelmed them with tenacity. How distasteful! How crude! I demand that we win the title with a bit if Tika-Taka this time round, otherwise I'll thcream and thcream and thcream until I'm thick.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2014, 10:49:44 am by River Don »
I thought we'd moved from being the Arsenal of the North to the Dortmund of Division 3?

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2014, 11:05:44 am by southwestexile »
I'm sure we will

We won Tier 3 but we didn't do it by playing like Barcelona. We bullied opponents and overwhelmed them with tenacity. How distasteful! How crude! I demand that we win the title with a bit if Tika-Taka this time round, otherwise I'll thcream and thcream and thcream until I'm thick.

Did you go to Swindon away? All I'm asking for is at least one shot per match (on or off goal will do)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2014, 11:33:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We barely got out of our half at Bramall Lane two years ago and that was one of the most thrilling matches I have seen in years. Proper mesters backs against the wall stuff. The sort of performance that demoralises opponents and wins you titles.

I'll be happy with more of that rather than a season of Tika-Taka and bubbling around mid-table.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2014, 11:44:23 am by River Don »
We barely got out of our half at Bramall Lane two years ago and that was one of the most thrilling matches I have seen in years. Proper mesters backs against the wall stuff. The sort of performance that demoralises opponents and wins you titles.

I'll be happy with more of that rather than a season of Tika-Taka and bubbling around mid-table.

I understand what your saying but it bugs me that it's so often presented as a choice, you can either have nice football or winning football but not both.

I think you can have both, even on a budget in League 1.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2014, 11:48:40 am by RedArmy »
If anyone went to tranmere 2 years ago they will all know that's how you win a game, never seen rovers dominated by another team as much we must of had 2 shots and scored 2 goals. Really was a robbery!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 31, 2014, 11:55:22 am by River Don »
If anyone went to tranmere 2 years ago they will all know that's how you win a game, never seen rovers dominated by another team as much we must of had 2 shots and scored 2 goals. Really was a robbery!

Is that better than Rovers dominating possession and winning by two goals though?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 31, 2014, 11:55:42 am by eastender »

Very much like the Brentford home game.  :)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 31, 2014, 11:59:43 am by IDM »

At the time, if I remember rightly, Tranmere were top of the league and in decent form.  Keepingthem at bay and nicking a win was an ideal result.  I too would like more entertainment than last time around, but wouldn't mind a few more moments like the Jones winner at Stevenage for example...

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 31, 2014, 12:02:00 pm by RedArmy »

Is that better than Rovers dominating possession and winning by two goals though?

Not at all. Just we can't dominate and win every game

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 31, 2014, 12:03:31 pm by RedArmy »

At the time, if I remember rightly, Tranmere were top of the league and in decent form.  Keepingthem at bay and nicking a win was an ideal result.  I too would like more entertainment than last time around, but wouldn't mind a few more moments like the Jones winner at Stevenage for example...

Yeah was a brilliant night with its own entertainment of Hume getting an injury time winner. We surely scored more 85+ goals than anyone in England that year? Oldham Stevenage Brentford Hartlepool just a few, there's loads more I'm sure.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 31, 2014, 12:31:08 pm by RobTheRover »
I'm sure we will

Cool yer jets, Bilston!  That season was a struggle, especially at home.  There arent many teams that can go a full season of "winning ugly" but by God we managed it.  That doesnt demean the acheivement, it just means we had the players to play football with more flair and the manager chose not to.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 31, 2014, 02:57:05 pm by andyst79 »
Beats the SOD method of playing teams off the park & losing 1-0 from a set piece that's for sure!

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 31, 2014, 04:45:28 pm by Iberian Red »
I'm sure we will

Did you go to Swindon away? All I'm asking for is at least one shot per match (on or off goal will do)
No. I watched it with a mate from Swindon on Al jazeera.  We got a draw. They all count

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 31, 2014, 05:18:42 pm by River Don »
Beats the SOD method of playing teams off the park & losing 1-0 from a set piece that's for sure!

Turn that around though, is that worse than playing shit and being beaten 1-0?

I think we tend to forget and forgive those games more easily. They had an off day. They were deservedly beaten. Move on.

It really sticks in the craw, playing well and still getting beaten.

It shouldn't because they can take something from the game and hope to build on it in future.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 31, 2014, 08:16:05 pm by bedale rover »

Turn that around though, is that worse than playing shit and being beaten 1-0?

I think we tend to forget and forgive those games more easily. They had an off day. They were deservedly beaten. Move on.

It really sticks in the craw, playing well and still getting beaten.

It shouldn't because they can take something from the game and hope to build on it in future.

There is nothing worse than being one down and watching your team huffing and puffing and not even creating a chance!
Notts county at home 2013 a goal would have promoted us and we were s***!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 31, 2014, 11:13:34 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Football is all about playing to your teams strengths not the other teams,if your major strength is in attack you go for it and try and outscore teams.
If it's defence where you are best,you draw them in and try nick one on the counter attack,the successful teams can do both,and looking at our squad plus a few additions i see us being a successful team capable of adapting to whatever we face.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 31, 2014, 11:38:40 pm by southwestexile »
I agree with the post which highlights that it's not just a choice between all out attack and all out defence. I wants wins but would be happier if I saw a bit of nice attacking footy now and again. I actually think we'll get some with the added pace. And while I'm at it, the old style Barca footy is a bit boring after 20 minx anyway. Just want a belief and our players to share that. Half as entertaining as Bournemouth and I'll be smiling

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 31, 2014, 11:50:12 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I agree with the post which highlights that it's not just a choice between all out attack and all out defence. I wants wins but would be happier if I saw a bit of nice attacking footy now and again. I actually think we'll get some with the added pace. And while I'm at it, the old style Barca footy is a bit boring after 20 minx anyway. Just want a belief and our players to share that. Half as entertaining as Bournemouth and I'll be smiling

Different games call for Different measures,adaptability of the squad you have is the key to being the best.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012