Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:06:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brian Stock.....  (Read 4223 times)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Brian Stock.....
« on August 25, 2014, 08:16:06 pm by Draytonian III »
.....is he under contact / playing anywhere?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: Brian Stock.....
« Reply #1 on August 25, 2014, 08:18:46 pm by keith79 »
injured still. bad back

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2014, 08:19:37 pm by Donnybax »
Was a player we were interested in despite what dickov says. He actually went to Portugal to train with us. If this has to be moved to rumour mill so be it. But yes he's a free agent and i believe he'd be a quality signing

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2014, 08:31:33 pm by keith79 »
i would love him back. not because he played for us in the past but because i think we would be a top signing for league 1

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2014, 08:36:44 pm by Donnyrovers »
Don't get me wrong he was great for us them years ago but I wouldn't want us to sign him again.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2014, 08:40:26 pm by GazLaz »
It's Wellens that should have the bad back for carrying him for about 3 years.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2014, 08:58:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
We can't sign a biscuit back like Stock and then wonder why we've got so many injuries.

Wello

• Forum Member

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2014, 10:57:49 pm by Draytonian III »
If we had the choice of the two of them Wellans or Stock,both at top of their game,I would take Stock over Wellans every time. So how I can't imagine Stock doing a mardy like Wellans has done for the last few weeks

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 25, 2014, 11:17:50 pm by dickos1 »
Why has wellens done a mardy?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 26, 2014, 06:34:13 am by GazLaz »
If we had the choice of the two of them Wellans or Stock,both at top of their game,I would take Stock over Wellans every time. So how I can't imagine Stock doing a mardy like Wellans has done for the last few weeks

There's absolutely no contest in ability. Wellens in his prime was a very special player.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 26, 2014, 08:46:49 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I'd love to see him back in a Rovers' shirt and I think he'd certainly do a job, injuries permitting.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 26, 2014, 08:48:31 am by Donnyrovers »

Wellens is a far better player than Stock now and when they were both in their prime he was the better player.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 26, 2014, 08:51:22 am by boro_rover »
They are/were like chalk and cheese though Gaz. Both brought completely different styles and strengths to the team. Stock had the technical ability to pass accurately wth ease, and had a dangerous right foot anywhere within 30 yards of the opponents goal. He was a classy player for us.
Wellens was the industrious box to box player, who would put himself about, win a tackle, then drive on thirty yards.

I think Richie was in the game more because of his physical presence, but Stock brought another dimension. Both special players in their prime, but for different reasons.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 26, 2014, 08:56:00 am by Donnybax »
They were the perfect partnership for us. Complimented each other's styles very well. But they really didn't get on. I remember them both being subbed at half time in a game against Birmingham that was on sky for fighting with each other at half time. Good job they respected each other's ability and didn't take it into the pitch

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 26, 2014, 09:04:11 am by DonnyNoel »
I have a running debate with a Rotherham fan I know - is Richie Wellens the best ever Englishman never to play in the Premiership? I think he is. We exclude young players at the top of the championship like Will Hughes as we work on the assumption they have plenty of time to get there but certainly of players around the 30+ age bracket I'd be interested if anyone can come up with anyone better than Lee Trundle which was all my mate could counter with...?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 26, 2014, 10:00:01 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I have a running debate with a Rotherham fan I know - is Richie Wellens the best ever Englishman never to play in the Premiership? I think he is. We exclude young players at the top of the championship like Will Hughes as we work on the assumption they have plenty of time to get there but certainly of players around the 30+ age bracket I'd be interested if anyone can come up with anyone better than Lee Trundle which was all my mate could counter with...?

Leo Fortune-West.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 26, 2014, 10:39:55 am by GazLaz »
Wellens made Stock, who was a good player, look better than he was, in the same way Keegan looks a good player when he plays along side him and less so when he doesn't.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 26, 2014, 04:07:03 pm by graingrover »
Alick Jeffrey ... on a different plane to any other Rovers player  I have ever seen. Never played in the old First Division though was a target for Matt Busby .. before he broke his leg the first time.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 26, 2014, 04:59:09 pm by Dutch Uncle »
 :that:

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 26, 2014, 05:56:37 pm by arkseyrover »
totally agree graingrover. Alick is the best player I ever saw. Would have been a fixture in the England team. And England with him and the Munich Man U players would have been unbeatable.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 26, 2014, 07:07:30 pm by silent majority »
I have to agree. The best player I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 26, 2014, 07:20:57 pm by Wellred »
and one player who laid the goals on for him and was very underrated.
The best left footed player to play for Rovers the one and only Yogi Broadbent.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 26, 2014, 11:06:10 pm by BobG »
I was accosted in the shop at the Vetch that night we drew 1-1 in the 4th Div championship season. An older guy, wanted to know if I was a Donny supporter. When I told him I was, he was off. He spent the next 10 minutes telling me what a fabulous player Alick Jeffrey was. He'd seen him play. He said people of his generation would never forget Alick. My dad never did. Best player ever to grace a togger pitch in his eyes.

I did see him play. But only in the 4th div when he came back. Bloody stonkingky good even then though. I can't imagine what a young, slim, fit Alick must have been like.... Charlie Williams was often quoted as saying that this young kid came to BV, and the kid thought he was a bit good. So Charlie decided to show him reality. Only the kid danced past him and sent 40 yard guided missiles right into the stride of whoever it was he was aiming for.

I saw Alick play a testimonial match at the Plant Works Ground. He must have been way over 40 by then. Stan Anderson played. He was no mug. Kitch and Bren played. And there was a monster crowd. This fat bloke, enormous he was, stood there in the middle of the pitch, demanding the ball, pointing imperiously, telling every bugger, including the ex England midfielder, where to run. And then he sent pin point guided missiles to where he sent them. He was awesome. Simply awesome.

I remember Bobby Charlton playing at BV in a testimonial for Alick years before. Big crowd that night too. Alick played - but he couldn't move fast by then either. Bobby trapped the ball right on the goal line he was was attacking. And he stopped. Looked for Alick, beckoned him over. But Alick couldn't get there in time. So Bobby smacked it. Lol. When he smacked a ball it stayed smacked.

Alick is the best player, bar none, never to have played in the top flight.

BobG
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:23:03 pm by BobG »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012