Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:55:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Leicester's goal  (Read 4446 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Leicester's goal
« on February 25, 2010, 08:05:43 am by Wellred »
I am surprised nobody has commented on how Leicester scored their goal on Tuesday as it is something that we will never be able to do.
We have a corner and Leicester leave one player up around the half way line. Keeper collects the ball and fires it straight forward for him to chase.
Forget the fact that Gaz Roberts made a mistake by letting the ball bounce, the point I am making is we NEVER leave a player up when defending corners.
Why does SOD always bring everyone back for corners/free kicks leaving Sulli no options but to hang onto the ball.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re:Leicester's goal
« Reply #1 on February 25, 2010, 08:20:08 am by The Red Baron »
Don't forget, though, against Blackpool we left two or three men up at a corner and they scored.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 25, 2010, 08:40:43 am by Wellred »
Also don't forget that whether we bring 11 men back or 9 men back we tend to concede more goals from corners than any other team.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 25, 2010, 09:53:51 am by DRNaith »
Wellred wrote:
Also don't forget that whether we bring 11 men back or 9 men back we tend to concede more goals from corners than any other team.

I don't watch other teams enough to be able to form that opinion.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 25, 2010, 10:47:40 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
And but for a better finish the same would have happened for us against Sheff Wed from Sharp.  We do it, but not every time, we have to be more careful due to our lack of height, so packing the box makes it easier to block the second ball, where statistically we concede the most.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 25, 2010, 10:56:28 am by 5minstogo »
This is one of footballs age old arguments, like short corners.

If we leave 2 of our midgets on the halfway line, then the oppo has to leave 3 back and probably one between halfway and our box.  I'd always go for this and look for the breakaway.  With our lack of height I'm more worried about the initial header/shot from the corner than the second ball and with nine players back we should have enough there to get a clearance away.

Short corners- by having two players around the corner it draws one or two of the opposition out of the box.  Again I'd use this more than we do as with our lack of height we are more likely to create something this way rather than hoofing it to the first defender.

Just my observations and the opposite can quite easily be argued I'm sure.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 25, 2010, 11:17:59 am by Wellred »
DRNaith wrote:
Wellred wrote:

I don't watch Chelsea but I think its fair to say they are top on the Premiership....................but thats only my opinion.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 25, 2010, 11:34:59 am by DMnumber4 »
Short corners- by having two players around the corner it draws one or two of the opposition out of the box. Again I'd use this more than we do as with our lack of height we are more likely to create something this way rather than hoofing it to the first defender.

We play so many short corners and how many of them work? All we do is waste our own centre halves times by faffing around with it somewhere the near corner flag hoping to one day get a cross in. We need someone at the club who is capable of whipping the ball time and time again on to Billy's head!

The reason we conceded had little to do with Leicester leaving one player upfield. It was Rovers not thinking that cost us. After what I'd say was a constant barrage of Leicester attacks in the first ten minutes (1 free kick, 4 corners?) we win a corner and rush it! WHY OH WHY? Take the pressure off, get set and relieve the pressure with a decent set-piece.

I know Mutch nearly scored but there was no Rovers player around him for a rebound or anything, the defence had no time to catch their breaths and consequently we paid the price for bad decision making. It's not the first time and won't be the last this season unfortunately  :unsure:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 25, 2010, 12:10:30 pm by Filo »
DMnumber4 wrote:
Short corners- by having two players around the corner it draws one or two of the opposition out of the box. Again I'd use this more than we do as with our lack of height we are more likely to create something this way rather than hoofing it to the first defender.

We play so many short corners and how many of them work? All we do is waste our own centre halves times by faffing around with it somewhere the near corner flag hoping to one day get a cross in. We need someone at the club who is capable of whipping the ball time and time again on to Billy's head!

The reason we conceded had little to do with Leicester leaving one player upfield. It was Rovers not thinking that cost us. After what I'd say was a constant barrage of Leicester attacks in the first ten minutes (1 free kick, 4 corners?) we win a corner and rush it! WHY OH WHY? Take the pressure off, get set and relieve the pressure with a decent set-piece.

I know Mutch nearly scored but there was no Rovers player around him for a rebound or anything, the defence had no time to catch their breaths and consequently we paid the price for bad decision making. It's not the first time and won't be the last this season unfortunately  :unsure:

Agree with that, both centre halfs were in no mans land when the corner came in because it was rushed. We do piss about at times!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 25, 2010, 12:14:24 pm by Donnywolf »
DMnumber4 wrote:

Thats the irony here - whether we have men back or not .... just unlicky that Mutch did not score / hit bar / force a corner / force Keeper to dive to save it .... then they would not have been in a position to thump it long !

I do know one thing though. If 3 GR had tripped their bloke whether accidentally or deliberately that prat in Sickly Green would have been showing him RED from 80 yards back !

Puskas

« Reply #10 on February 25, 2010, 01:20:18 pm by Puskas »
A lot of clubs fetch everyone back for corners. I think it is a modern coaching development. The goal itself was badly defended, firstly that no one took the responsibility to mark the keeper to prevent a quick release and secondly GR should have been stronger and at least stayed on his feet.

I know we were very weak last season at defending set pieces but I think we have got a lot better this season.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 25, 2010, 01:31:44 pm by scuzzer »
Couldnt agree more Puskas, one thing caused that goal 'rank bad defending'.

It was bloody shocking the way Roberts let the ball bounce like that, heading it anywhere would have been better than neshing it and that being the outcome.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 25, 2010, 01:37:42 pm by Filo »
If you watch the video, you can see that Much looks at the Keeper when he`s trying to get the ball upfield quickly, if he had just stood his ground that ball would never have been played, still piss poor defending from Roberts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8535411.stm

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 25, 2010, 02:20:26 pm by DRNaith »
Wellred wrote:
DRNaith wrote:
Wellred wrote:

I don't watch Chelsea but I think its fair to say they are top on the Premiership....................but thats only my opinion.

I fail to see what point you trying to make about other teams by saying you don't watch Chelsea.

You say we concede more goals from corners than any other team, I was merely stating that you must be very well informed to say that.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 25, 2010, 02:33:19 pm by Wellred »
Don't be so pedantic and nit picking. You know exactly the point I was making.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 25, 2010, 02:39:28 pm by DRNaith »
I know the point that you think you were making, yes, but I'm tired of people making wild statements just because they're a bit disgruntled.

Those statements soon become folklore and acheive nothing but dishearten support.

I was wondering if you had some stat hidden away that showed that we were the least successful league team at defending corners, but no.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 25, 2010, 02:50:25 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Apologies if I'm being thick, but I thought the Sharp red card incident came form a corner and he was stood a few yards away from the halfway line when the ball was cleared.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 25, 2010, 04:49:15 pm by DMnumber4 »
Snods Shinpad wrote:
Apologies if I'm being thick, but I thought the Sharp red card incident came form a corner and he was stood a few yards away from the halfway line when the ball was cleared.

If it did then that just shows the tactical inconsistancy when defending!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 25, 2010, 05:30:55 pm by Wellred »
DRNaith wrote:
I know the point that you think you were making, yes, but I'm tired of people making wild statements just because they're a bit disgruntled.

Those statements soon become folklore and acheive nothing but dishearten support.

I was wondering if you had some stat hidden away that showed that we were the least successful league team at defending corners, but no.

1st lesson in trying to be a smart arse. Learn to spell!!!!
Its ACHIEVE

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 25, 2010, 05:42:29 pm by DMnumber4 »
Wellred wrote:
DRNaith wrote:

Its ACHIEVE

Second lesson in trying to be a smart arse: The correct use of apostrophe. Its as you said (incorrectly) should actually be it's, short for it is.

Next...

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 25, 2010, 05:50:03 pm by Wellred »
Touche but then I wasn't initially trying to be the smart arse.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 25, 2010, 05:53:47 pm by DRNaith »
Wellred wrote:
DRNaith wrote:

Its ACHIEVE

It's a shame when people feel the need to change the argument.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 25, 2010, 07:51:10 pm by i_ateallthepies »
DRNaith wrote:

It's a shame when people feel the need to change the argument.

Not a shame Naith, goes down as a win to you, and he's gone away.  Double win.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 25, 2010, 10:02:32 pm by BobG »
It's the incessant negativity that gets me. Wild statements are one thing - I can usually spot them and therefore ignore the supposed messaage being delivered. But I really cannot recall a single positive, or even neutral, post from that bloke. I don't know why he bothers tbh. He must be a complete nightmare to live with!

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012