Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:43:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joey Barton  (Read 4672 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Joey Barton
« on March 24, 2010, 11:22:44 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:Joey Barton
« Reply #1 on March 24, 2010, 11:42:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He wants to be a good man?

Piece of piss.

Be a good man.

Easy as that.

Start by not acting like a t**t when you get the tiniest bit of banter from fans at a football match when you're warming up on the touchline.

A load of PR-man's ballacks. The lad is a cossetted, over-paid, nasty, obnoxious little Kitson and always will be. If he wants to be something else, it's entirely in his hands to do it. So stop bleating about wanting to be good and get on with being a decent member of society.

The rest of us do it every f**king day of our lives.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 25, 2010, 12:13:32 am by BobG »
He's an odd mixture actually. He can, regularly, be a real pleasant, interesting and interested sort of bloke. But he can, also, let the red mist come down and be a total arse. I suspect that's his problem - a fair enough guy who sometimes can't control his temper. Get that sorted and he'd be sound as a pound. I hope he manages it.

Cheers

BoBG

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 25, 2010, 09:07:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Rigo. It's perfectly simple. You can sign as many autographs as you want, but you are not a good man if there's a side of you that responds to every minor provocation with bristling come backs, punches or cigars stubbed out in someone's face. He wants to be a good man now? Brilliant. I'm chuffed to bits for him. I would simply prefer that he got on without rather than bleat on about how he wants to be good.

Barton and Carrol are symptoms of how value-free football has become. If I had stubbed a cigar out in a colleague's face, of broken the jaw of my line manager, no matter WHAT the provocation, I would have been sacked on the spot and arrested as soon as the coppers could gave been summoned. They live in a world where their perceived value gives them the right to commit criminal assault and get away with it.

If Barton has accepted his sins then grand. What he should now do is demonstrate that by keeping his nose clean fir 5 years. The fact that he couldn't even resist rising to the bait when a few hundred Donny fans came out with a standard chant doesn't bode well.

redflag

« Reply #4 on March 25, 2010, 12:50:21 pm by redflag »
Rigoglioso wrote:
So Joey Barton is greeted with a chant of \"Joey Barton is a wonker\" when he's warming up, he sarcastically smiles and claps to the people singing it and that makes him a t**t. Hmmm, yeah okay!

Agree with you on this Rigo I thought he handled the situation in the right spirit. Hence no more further abuse from the fans during the match that I could hear from my lofty perch.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 25, 2010, 01:02:44 pm by The L J Monk »
February 2004: Picks up the first red card of his career during Manchester City's FA Cup fourth-round tie at Tottenham Hotspur, sealed with a second yellow for arguing with the referee at half-time.

April 2004: Leaves Eastlands Stadium before kick-off - and without manager Kevin Keegan's permission - after being left out of the team to play Southampton.

July 2004: Incites a 10-man brawl during City's pre-season friendly at Doncaster after a violent challenge on Rovers' player Paul Green. Barton is substituted for his own safety by Keegan, who says: \"I don't want to stop him being tenacious, but I want him to remember what football is all about.\"

December 2004: Stubs a lit cigar in the eye of City youth-team player Jamie Tandy at the club Christmas party, after apparently discovering Tandy attempting to set fire to his shirt. Barton apologises and is fined six weeks' wages. Last month Tandy, now 24, revealed he was suing Barton after suffering \"a major psychiatric deterioration\" following the incident.

May 2005: Breaks the leg of a 35-year-old pedestrian while driving his car through central Liverpool at 2am.

June 2005: Sent home from City's pre-season tour of Thailand after a brawl in the team hotel, in which Barton slaps a teenage Everton fan and bites team-mate Richard Dunne's finger while being restrained. Fined £120,000 and ordered to seek counselling for drink and anger problems.

September 2006: Drops his shorts in front of Everton fans at Goodison Park. Merseyside Police investigate but take no action. Barton is fined £2,000 by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.

December 2006: Causes a stir by criticising England players for publishing autobiographies after the 2006 World Cup, saying: \"England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like shit. Here's my book.' Who wants to read that?\"

March 2007: Arrested on suspicion of vandalising a taxi after the driver refused to wait at a McDonald's in Liverpool. Later cleared when his cousin Joshua Wilson confesses.

April 2007: Criticises his club's performances and recruitment policy. \"It just feels like this club is praying to get the right players this summer,\" he says. \"We can't gamble on players who have scored six goals in six games in the Pontins League or in Belgium.\" City manager Stuart Pearce bans him from speaking to the media.

May 2007: Assaults team-mate Ousmane Dabo during a City training session. Dabo is admitted to hospital with a damaged cornea and retina in his left eye.

October 2007: Marks his Premier League debut for Newcastle by appearing to raise his foot dangerously in a challenge with Sunderland's Dickson Etuhu, an incident overlooked by the referee. Barton later apologises.

December 2007: Attacks a 16-year-old boy outside a Liverpool city centre branch of McDonalds in the early hours of the morning after drinking 10 pints and five bottles of lager.

May 2008: Jailed for six months for assault. \"You drank to excess and behaved in an aggressive, disgraceful manner,\" says the sentencing judge.

November 2008: In his fourth game back playing for Newcastle following release from prison, Barton becomes involved in an incident with Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor.

May 2009: Sent off on his return from long-term injury for lunging into Xabi Alonso during Newcastle's 3-0 defeat to Liverpool. Suspended by the club two days later following an alleged row with manager, Alan Shearer.

Oh well, at least he interviews well.

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 25, 2010, 01:27:04 pm by keyser_soze »
December 2006: Causes a stir by criticising England players for publishing autobiographies after the 2006 World Cup, saying: \"England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like shit. Here's my book.' Who wants to read that?\"

Fair enough that one.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 25, 2010, 02:40:05 pm by Superspy »
i thought that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2010, 02:47:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A t**t calling other t**ts, \"t**ts\" doesn't become less of a t**t by so doing.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2010, 03:09:19 pm by en aitch »
It's all done publicly though.

He should shut the f**k up and get on with his job.

Reacting to people chanting at him should be water off a ducks back, he will have heard it hundreds of times.

I can't see any reason to defend a highly paid attention seeker - if he wants to be \"normal\" he should try behaving normally, keeping his gob shut and letting his footbsll do the talking. Footballers are not reputed to be intelligent. Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney etc. appear to be nothing other than rich arrogant chavs, so why wouldn't they splash their cash on changing their cars as often as they change their Calvin Klein boxers.

Shut yer gob Joey, rise above it and get on with earning your particularly nice salary.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2010, 03:11:42 pm by The L J Monk »
Interesting that in amongst: inciting a brawl in a friendly, assaulting a team-mate, breaking a pedestrian's leg, brawling on a pre-season tour, being arrested for suspected vandalism, assaulting a team-mate, assaulting a minor and serving prison time....you focus on his skill for speaking candidly.

Let's say he put out a cigar in your eye, assaulted someone in your family, or put your friend in hospital needing surgery on a damaged retina...would you still praise his ability to \"tell it how it is\"?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2010, 03:17:34 pm by Filo »
If he tried putting a cigar out in my eye, he would end up comparing x rays with Steven Taylor  :laugh:

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2010, 03:22:56 pm by en aitch »
if he was an attention seeker trying to make the nation warm to him, he'd say \"Look at me, I'm doing all this charity work... aren't I a goody two shoes\".

He seems to have made you aware that he's doing lots of good work for charity!

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 25, 2010, 03:30:08 pm by The L J Monk »
Barton, 25, was captured on CCTV in Liverpool on 27 December 2007 punching one man 20 times before an attack which left a teenage boy with broken teeth.

Sentencing him to six months in jail, Judge Henry Globe QC said it was a \"violent and cowardly act\".

Judge Henry Globe QC continued: \"Without doubt, the most serious of the three offenders is you (Barton).

\"You were restrained by others but ignored them and acted in an extremely violent and aggressive manner.

\"You have a high profile as a footballer and you know that draws attention to you. Yet you drank to excess and behaved in an aggressive, disgraceful manner.\"

My view that Barton is a thug is based upon research.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 25, 2010, 04:26:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Rigoglioso wrote:
was he provoked in some of them situations by people who knew they could get a reaction out of him?

Totally and utterly irrelevant.

As I said earlier up the thread, if you, I or any normal person responded to provocations at work by near-blinding someone or kicking the f**k out of them, we'd be sacked on the spot and prosecuted, REGARDLESS of the nature of the provocation.

You are implicitly arguing that normal law and morality doesn't apply to footballers.

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 25, 2010, 05:20:05 pm by stockyboy »
He's done his time, he seems to have learnt from it now wants to get on with what he's best at, football (and a very good player at that). I thought he handled it very well Tuesday, giving us a cheeky smile and clap, he's heard it all before.

He also had a tough childhood with his uncle I think going jail with murder. He's done his time, seems sorry, wants to put things right. Good luck to him is what I say.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 25, 2010, 05:32:31 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Obviously not, but was he provoked in some of them situations by people who knew they could get a reaction out of him? I'm not saying he was/wasn't, but either way I've never had a problem with Barton.

People go along saying Barton makes public interviews and uses the media to paint himself as some kind of born again christian, but what barely ever gets publicised is his work for charity and the endless hours he spends supporting them! Now I know the obvious comeback from some people will be he does it because he's loaded and can afford to, but does he have to do it? No. And surely if he was an attention seeker trying to make the nation warm to him, he'd say \"Look at me, I'm doing all this charity work... aren't I a goody two shoes\".

Eh? Whats kicking someone 20 times, got to do with adequate retribution for provocation? Guess what? Most grown adults can rise above provocation and actually, therefore, maintain the moral high ground.

I know one thing, if my Daughter was in Hospital with some life threatening illness...god forbid, and Barton turned up doing some 'Charity Work/ Visit' - Id tell him to bugger off frankly. What right minded charity would want that common thug as a patron?

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 25, 2010, 06:58:38 pm by mushRTID »
out of curiosity, what charity work has the tosser done?

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 25, 2010, 08:18:57 pm by en aitch »
Rigo will be able to tell you because he is so interested in this \"allegedly reformed thug\" who has been badly misrepresented that he has been \"digging beneath the ugly exterior\" .....

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 25, 2010, 09:09:28 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Rigoglioso wrote:
And surely if he was an attention seeker trying to make the nation warm to him, he'd say \"Look at me, I'm doing all this charity work... aren't I a goody two shoes\".

So the interview wasn't stage managed Rigo?  If he truly didn't want his charity work talked about do you think the question would have been asked?

Being a bit naive mate if you ask me.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 25, 2010, 09:18:35 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Bartin is patron of the Tamsin Gulvin Fund
[/quote]

More fool the Tasmin Gulvin Fund for having a Thug representing them then.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 25, 2010, 11:21:08 pm by Lesonthewest »
Here's my take on him, he's a t**t.

Every time I see his face how I wish Brighty would have finished the job. He can do as much charity work & play i'm a good guy now as much as he wants, it's the least he can do. But the result is the same for me & nothing will change my mind, he's had too many chances. Overpaid tosser is what he is.

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 26, 2010, 06:26:18 am by en aitch »
So, not a problem Rigo, take people as you find them and form your own opinions.

A large number of people will be swayed by press reporting of incidents which can be filtered to suit the story, but court reports and police incidents are often reliable.

The gist here is that most of the responders in this thread (who have possibly not met Mr B & probably feel that their life is no worse for that) think that the highly paid t**t, Joey Barton, should have started to behave like a responsible adult years ago.
I understand that people who have done their time are entitled to show themselves as improved people, but if they live in the glare of publicity and utilise it to \"prove\" that they can be personable, generous & caring they should also accept that opposition fans will attempt to find the chink in their armour.

However, if you think that you have many of the traits of a young Joey Barton I would suggest that you seek help now.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 28, 2010, 04:22:40 pm by Sandy Lane »
Just catching up on posts and wanted to added my two cents worth. (This is not to heap it further on Rigo...).  

We all have tempers and some trigger faster than others (I'm very slow to anger, but then get very mouthy - usually to my chagrin) and a one-off incident is certainly understandable and forgivable!  But with Joey Barton, he has a history of violence and in the case of him burning someone with a cigar, it can be a sadistic sort. The sort which makes you wonder if any of his neighbors' small pets have gone missing!  Plus, and I don't know his on the pitch record of red cards, this character trait must carry over onto there as well.

P.S.  I think Rigo is too intelligent to ever be like Joey Barton.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012