Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:33:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Man Utd  (Read 3769 times)

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
Man Utd
« on October 03, 2019, 07:47:46 pm by 5 on Tour »
I’m 33. I haven’t seen a United team as awful and lacking soul as this in those years. They are truly shocking to watch. They’ve got no passion or drive outside of McTominay and Greenwood.

Can anyone remember them this bad since the Premiership era started?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Man Utd
« Reply #1 on October 03, 2019, 07:54:16 pm by Filo »
Awful truly awful, not sure how Ole is going to defend that performance

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 03, 2019, 07:59:40 pm by adamtherover »
I’m 33. I haven’t seen a United team as awful and lacking soul as this in those years. They are truly shocking to watch. They’ve got no passion or drive outside of McTominay and Greenwood.

Can anyone remember them this bad since the Premiership era started?
worst start to a season in 30 years, so no, this is as bad as it gets...

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 03, 2019, 08:05:29 pm by no eyed deer »
My heart bleeds....not !

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 03, 2019, 08:12:41 pm by drfcsteve »
Maybe youngsters in donny won't be glory supporting them anymore now and will get behind rovers, or will they all be Liverpool and Man City fans all of a sudden.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 03, 2019, 08:34:48 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Was "lucky" enough to get hospitality tickets to the Arsenal game the other day and the fans i spoke to still aren't questioning Ole that much which i find hard to believe. Think that Woodward has to be sacked before another manager goes imo

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 03, 2019, 08:44:02 pm by adamtherover »
Maybe youngsters in donny won't be glory supporting them anymore now and will get behind rovers, or will they all be Liverpool and Man City fans all of a sudden.
it will happen, I remember seeing a few leicester shirts knocking about a few years ago, tragic!!!!

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 03, 2019, 09:18:51 pm by DaveDRFC »

Liverpool haven't won the league for over 30 years but it doesn't seem to stop half of Donny supporting them, and sadly passing it onto their kids too.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 03, 2019, 10:05:43 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Some bellend in the middle of the south stand was in a Liverpool shirt the other week

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 03, 2019, 10:07:22 pm by drfchound »
It could have been much worse mate........a Leeds shirt.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 03, 2019, 10:46:59 pm by Superspy »
Some bellend in the middle of the south stand was in a Liverpool shirt the other week

Don't particularly give a shit what they're wearing if they're in the stadium....their ticket money has gone into the club after all.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 03, 2019, 11:57:23 pm by selby »
  Why should it bother anybody what shirt anybody wears to any game as long as they are acting responsibly, it is like the colour of their skin, it shouldn't matter at all, I know it does to some people, but it is bloody sad.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 04, 2019, 01:02:21 am by The Beast »
  Why should it bother anybody what shirt anybody wears to any game as long as they are acting responsibly, it is like the colour of their skin, it shouldn't matter at all, I know it does to some people, but it is bloody sad.
It’s a very fair valid point but to my detriment I have to admit that every time I see someone in Donny in a Leeds shirt I can’t help but wanting to show them the back of my hand!

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 04, 2019, 07:17:05 am by Padge_DRFC »

What a stupid comparison

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 04, 2019, 07:21:57 am by idler »
It’s a very fair valid point but to my detriment I have to admit that every time I see someone in Donny in a Leeds shirt I can’t help but wanting to show them the back of my hand!
What if somebody was walking around Leeds in a Donny shirt?
I personally can't understand anybody who is born in Donny wanting to support a team from another town or City. The thing is that we live in a society where we have a choice and if people want to throw money away on travelling to another venue let them. I know that I have spent more on getting to and from Donny in the last 41 years than on match tickets but they are my team and I am still proud to tell everybody that I am DONNY born and bred. The defectors don't know what they are missing.🙂

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 04, 2019, 07:42:14 am by Donnywolf »
My heart bleeds....not !

Me neither - but remember they DONT agree with buying Titles so they will have to "fight" their way back up the League on merit

Good Luck with that especially with the current squad and OGS. I hope they give him as long as he needs to get this right

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 04, 2019, 08:43:34 am by The Red Baron »
Was "lucky" enough to get hospitality tickets to the Arsenal game the other day and the fans i spoke to still aren't questioning Ole that much which i find hard to believe. Think that Woodward has to be sacked before another manager goes imo

They are right. They have had four managers since Fergie left and they've been on a steady downward curve. The problems are above Ole. If they don't sort those out they have the potential to be another Leeds United.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 04, 2019, 09:01:37 am by RoversAlias »
I don't think it's that drastic, Leeds were paying inflated wages that they couldn't afford and spending money they didn't have. Man Utd are just about the richest football club on the planet, they aren't going anywhere.

The better comparison is with Liverpool. They struggled (relatively) for years after 1990, after the end of their era of dominance and they became a team who would occasionally challenge for the title but mostly flitted around between 3rd and 8th. This went on for 20 odd years before Fenway took over and Klopp was allowed to build what he has. Only now, almost 30 years later, are they truly a very top side contending for all the trophies again.

Fergie casts a long shadow at Man Utd, they were always going to struggle to come close to that period of their history again and mismanagement and bad decisions largely above the manager's seat, but also from those employed to be the manager, have sunk them down the league.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 04, 2019, 09:15:22 am by GazLaz »
I don’t know what they expected setting a manager on with no history of ever being and good.

Woodward and the club structure is the biggest issue there though.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 04, 2019, 09:27:55 am by Colin C No.3 »
Fergie was always going to be a hard act to follow, as was Sir Matt. When he stepped down they tried for ‘continuity’ by appointing Wilf McGuinness who was followed by Frank O’Farrell, Tommy Doc, Dave Sexton then Big Ron. During that period they suffered relegation, won a couple of FA Cups but it wasn’t until Fergies appointment some 16/17 years after the glory days under Matt Busby that the club was eventually turned around.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 04, 2019, 09:58:03 am by selby »
  I have seen it all before, Wolves in the 50's Tottenham in the 60's,  Everton later 60's all known as the Bank of England sides at the time.
  Manchester United have lasted the longest of the lot, gained a country wide support as the result of the unfortunate to the victims in the Munich plane disaster, but the club getting months of back page publicity, and a groundswell of support all over the country and the other clubs especially Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa giving them players to get going again.
   They were successful just as cars became accessible to  the working man and road infrastructure became better from nearby towns such as Burnley, Barnsley, Doncaster, York, Bury, Bolton, Preston, Blackpool, Huddersfield and coincided with the poor form and lack of success in all those towns within now travelling distance . In the case of Huddersfield, Blackpool,Bolton and Preston all fell from the top division right through the leagues, and even Manchester City fell into the third division after a period of success.
   Now Manchester United have other problems. Manchester City are by far the best side along with Liverpool. Players from abroad want to go to London clubs, or they will only go to Champions League sides.
   TV and the money it makes has made crowd income secondary to the club, and only successful clubs get the big bucks, of course they are a draw, but it is slowly waning, as Leeds found out, their owners funded buying the club with massive debt and take big bucks out, and their last big player buys have been a disaster.
  They are now an average side, other clubs have caught them up on the field of play, and attracting and training facilities for youngsters in the academies, and no longer suck up all the best youth players, and foreign youngsters wanting to go to the London clubs.
   It is going to take some getting back, They could end up another Leeds.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 04, 2019, 10:35:01 am by drfchound »
I don’t know what they expected setting a manager on with no history of ever being and good.

Woodward and the club structure is the biggest issue there though.

There was the false dawn last season when OGS joined them.
He couldn’t have had a better run of “easy” games and when he won them all there was the usual rise of expectations.
Since then of course reality has set in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 04, 2019, 10:47:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Once upon a time, it used to be expected that clubs had periods of being shite after periods of being very good.

In a sensible football world, there'd be nothing to discuss here. It's only news because we've been lobotomised over the past generation and had that part of our brains replaced by a Murdoch-fashioned USB drive that tells us there are only 5-6 Big Clubs.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 04, 2019, 11:37:37 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I personally can't understand anybody who is born in Donny wanting to support a team from another town or City. The thing is that we live in a society where we have a choice and if people want to throw money away on travelling to another venue let them. I know that I have spent more on getting to and from Donny in the last 41 years than on match tickets but they are my team and I am still proud to tell everybody that I am DONNY born and bred. The defectors don't know what they are missing.🙂

I wasn't born in Donny but I support Rovers!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 04, 2019, 11:40:19 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It makes you wonder how long those Man Utd fans moaning about not getting instant success from a manager would have given Fergie when he first took over...!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 04, 2019, 12:25:24 pm by Axholme Lion »

I'm not technically in Donny but I take your point. I don't get what people get out of 'supporting' a PL team from their armchair and buying a shirt. I follow Millwall for the unique atmosphere, the crap football, the friendly reception we get everywhere, the busted bogs at the Den and most of all the glory. Ha ha. :) :) :)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 04, 2019, 04:26:36 pm by the vicar »
I'm sure he has been brought in to cut down on outlay and bring the youngsters through over a period of time, we will see how good they are when we play them in a few weeks

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 04, 2019, 05:46:20 pm by bedale rover »
The sooner the (so called ) premier League implodes the better
Worst thing that has ever happened to English football

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 05, 2019, 10:06:43 am by redwine »

I've been spotted then. Often wear the hoops when I'm out in Leeds and want them to see a bit of class.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 05, 2019, 10:26:07 am by coventryrover »
Why done have a man utd thread on here?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012