Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:05:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Budget talks  (Read 26177 times)

Brian Young

• Forum Member
Re: Budget talks
« Reply #120 on May 04, 2018, 04:21:15 pm by Brian Young »
DF talks about a small squad again next season and as a result, wanting to put a better training/ medical services to help with this . IMO DF is expecting a similar budget when talking about Copps and his contract as it would be dependent on what the budget is .I would have thought Williams leaving should have given DF more available funds as he was on a high wage , yet he hesitates to commit and just said ‘ I don’t know’ which he possibly thinks his budget could be reduced or Williams wages being removed from the total altogether. But one thing looks certain and that there isn’t going to be any contract protractions like he had over Marquis . Players coming in imo only one or two . Or maybe because he didn't know.

yes that’s possibly true , but listened to the interview and it was evident he was embarrassed that he didn’t .

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:24:00 pm by Brian Young »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on May 04, 2018, 04:23:03 pm by silent majority »
Ive never met sm but I’ll take my hat off because of the grief which is possibly over the top, but the majority of fans are now clearly pointing the finger at the board, I think it’s in there best interests to either say yeah or neh... personally I think tb as had enough and that’s it’s it tbf, I might be miles away from the truth but I think it’s a sinking ship

We're not a sinking ship, far from it. The business model currently being employed is turning out to be so successful that other clubs are taking a closer look.

TB has always said that if somebody came along that could do a better job for DRFC then he would relinquish control, and, as a man of his word, I believe him. However I don't think that time is right just now.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on May 04, 2018, 04:27:18 pm by Cantley Rover »
Ive never met sm but I’ll take my hat off because of the grief which is possibly over the top, but the majority of fans are now clearly pointing the finger at the board, I think it’s in there best interests to either say yeah or neh... personally I think tb as had enough and that’s it’s it tbf, I might be miles away from the truth but I think it’s a sinking ship

We're not a sinking ship, far from it. The business model currently being employed is turning out to be so successful that other clubs are taking a closer look.

TB has always said that if somebody came along that could do a better job for DRFC then he would relinquish control, and, as a man of his word, I believe him. However I don't think that time is right just now.

The business model is probably successful as you say. But is it a business model for a league 1 club which needs to stay in league 1 for it to continue to be successful?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on May 04, 2018, 04:28:42 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Dickos??? You’re a dick!! Tell me how the board of drfc are taking us forward and not fixing attendances?????

Apologies, but I am becoming more and more confused by your arguments Raggy.

Fixing attendances would be UNDER-reporting them to avoid tax. Some of the figures being reported by the club 'seem' HIGH because they are required to report all season ticket holders for a home match, and clearly many STH's have not been attending of late. That is not fixing in any sense, either legally or mathematically.

We are currently 14th in League 1. In the 46 seasons from 1958-59 to 2003-04 we achieved that only 3 times with a highest of 11th in the third tier. Given the hyper-inflation of football it can be argued that the current board are subsidising the club (in my mind a better term than investing because they do not seem to want to make any profit from the money they put into the club) relatively more than at any time since 1958 with the exception of the one-off JR period which was clearly non sustainable.

In my eyes this board are doing a good job, and I would fear the worst if they left.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:37:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on May 04, 2018, 04:35:16 pm by silent majority »

The business model is probably successful as you say. But is it a business model for a league 1 club which needs to stay in league 1 for it to continue to be successful?

Not at all. Why would it be? . Lg1 is the hardest league to try and maintain some form of sustainability, rather Lg2 or the Championship if that was the objective.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on May 04, 2018, 04:38:29 pm by Cantley Rover »

Not at all. Why would it be? . Lg1 is the hardest league to try and maintain some form of sustainability, rather Lg2 or the Championship if that was the objective.

I think one word you have used songs up many fans fears. "IF" THE CHAMPIONSHIP WAS THE OBJECTIVE.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on May 04, 2018, 04:41:48 pm by silent majority »

I think one word you have used songs up many fans fears. "IF" THE CHAMPIONSHIP WAS THE OBJECTIVE.

But it is, and has been stated publicly. But you've misread my post. Have another go.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on May 04, 2018, 04:44:59 pm by silent majority »
   If they are putting the effort in quietly behind the scenes then I applaud that public or not.After all they are pretty safe in the knowledge that SM is the mouthpiece and point of contact for the fans and he also has direct access to the powers that be..
   It's a thankless task full stop,because SM cant always give you the answers you want and sometimes when he does you don't always agree with him..Over the years there are many things I have agreed with him on and one or two which I don't but that's life..But I would never criticise any of them whether they declare it publically or not who work behind the scenes,donating lots of time for free with the aim of making it better for us all....

Not sure how a supporters representative can be anonymous. If nobody knows who they are, how can they represent anyone?

Agree fully. I don't understand how we can have anonymous supporter representatives. Where have these people come from? I don't always agree with SM on here but at least I know who he is, know his role and can ask him something if I have an issue or grievance or query.

I didn't mean that they were attempting to be anonymous, more that they have chosen to be low key, which is surprising for some of them as they are extremely well known in the Rovers community.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on May 04, 2018, 05:28:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think most people forget that the vast majority of clubs don't work the way we did under John Ryan.

What's wrong with being different, especially when it proved to be so successful?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on May 04, 2018, 06:22:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
We weren't different. John Ryan took us to 11th in League one on his own, which is more or less where we are now. It was their collective financial clout and some good footballing decisions that took us further. Not John Ryan alone as deity of Doncaster.

I don't have a problem with Fergie sending the message that the budget next year is going to be bog-standard. As long as that's all he's doing and not taking the piss, because we can quite easily find a manage who wants to work for this club with the means he's given.

The board can undoubtedly give a push if they wanted. A 5 year plan can't be 5 consecutive years of trying to get in the championship because thats the plan of everyone and therefore not a plan. We have to see incremental improvement or they should re-state their aims.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on May 04, 2018, 06:32:10 pm by Cantley Rover »
We weren't different. John Ryan took us to 11th in League one on his own, which is more or less where we are now. It was their collective financial clout and some good footballing decisions that took us further. Not John Ryan alone as deity of Doncaster.

I don't have a problem with Fergie sending the message that the budget next year is going to be bog-standard. As long as that's all he's doing and not taking the piss, because we can quite easily find a manage who wants to work for this club with the means he's given.

The board can undoubtedly give a push if they wanted. A 5 year plan can't be 5 consecutive years of trying to get in the championship because thats the plan of everyone and therefore not a plan. We have to see incremental improvement or they should re-state their aims.

So a 5 year plan isn't for 5 years? When is 5 year plan not a 5 year plan? When is spread over 10 years? Stupid post.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on May 04, 2018, 06:35:09 pm by godlike1 »
Hope I'm wrong but told that a good win tweet has stated Ferguson will have a smaller squad next season, not looking good , sèms very worrying ,?
Doesn't even look like where investing the money with the players where realising ?

I saw that, he either knows something or has heard a rumour. He's trying to spread unrest with the tweet he made

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on May 04, 2018, 06:37:05 pm by Copps is Magic »

So a 5 year plan isn't for 5 years? When is 5 year plan not a 5 year plan? When is spread over 10 years? Stupid post.

You've not read or understood the post.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on May 04, 2018, 06:43:40 pm by steve@dcfd »
Hope I'm wrong but told that a good win tweet has stated Ferguson will have a smaller squad next season, not looking good , sèms very worrying ,?
Doesn't even look like where investing the money with the players where realising ?

I saw that, he either knows something or has heard a rumour. He's trying to spread unrest with the tweet he made

The tweet from Paul Goodwin was relating to a radio Sheffield interview with DF it said
Spot the reference (at 04:15) to "possibly it is going to be a smaller squad".
Then Paul’s inference That's not quite the "two players for each position" we heard a couple of weeks back. #drfc
But as SM said before until today nothing was certain until the feedback from meeting, it was only a possibility it may have been different or the case.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on May 04, 2018, 06:59:30 pm by Cantley Rover »

No I obviously don't understand it. What is this 5 year plan then

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on May 04, 2018, 07:01:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Dickos??? You’re a dick!! Tell me how the board of drfc are taking us forward and not fixing attendances?????

Apologies, but I am becoming more and more confused by your arguments Raggy.

Fixing attendances would be UNDER-reporting them to avoid tax. Some of the figures being reported by the club 'seem' HIGH because they are required to report all season ticket holders for a home match, and clearly many STH's have not been attending of late. That is not fixing in any sense, either legally or mathematically.

We are currently 14th in League 1. In the 46 seasons from 1958-59 to 2003-04 we achieved that only 3 times with a highest of 11th in the third tier. Given the hyper-inflation of football it can be argued that the current board are subsidising the club (in my mind a better term than investing because they do not seem to want to make any profit from the money they put into the club) relatively more than at any time since 1958 with the exception of the one-off JR period which was clearly non sustainable.

In my eyes this board are doing a good job, and I would fear the worst if they left.
Another great post Dutch Uncle. Thank heavens we have some supporters who understand the big picture.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on May 04, 2018, 07:19:36 pm by Copps is Magic »

No I obviously don't understand it. What is this 5 year plan then

I'm still not sure what you're asking me?

The 5 year plan was something the people running the club with came up with a a year and half ago. The whole idea of a 'plan' is you sit down at some point in time and set targets and a road map for how you are going to achieve those targets measured against the moment you formed the plan. That's how organisations have been doing it for centuries.The club have done this (presumably).

What is absolutely not a plan is saying 'we go again lads' because that's not measuring progress against the plan you originally planned. That's just starting again. In any case, the management of the club said the plan was mostly about increasing revenue, which they have said they've done/being doing successfully. Which makes these issues of budget quite peculiar.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on May 04, 2018, 07:22:44 pm by scawsby steve »
By God, I opened up a can of worms with this thread; mischievous eh?

Seriously though, I honestly don't know what to make of the situation other than to just wait and see. Baudry leaving us isn't ideal, but maybe we'll get Boyle and Anderson; as long as we have 4 centre backs next season, and another right back, with Amos covering for Andrew, then the defence should be fine. That would probably leave us with just a midfielder and a striker to get.

I'm sure Terry and Andy are quite aware of what we need, particularly as we enter the 3rd year of the 5 year plan, and I doubt if they'll come up short of what Fergie needs. If they do, however, we may be in for a bumpy road ahead.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on May 04, 2018, 07:30:55 pm by mushRTID »
So any actual incline how today’s budget talks went?

I don’t think Baudry going reflects them, sounds like this was already decided either way.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on May 04, 2018, 08:05:38 pm by RedJ »
I think most people forget that the vast majority of clubs don't work the way we did under John Ryan.

What's wrong with being different, especially when it proved to be so successful?

Nothing wrong with it. But it doesn't mean people have to f**king squawk and flail limbs around in outrage when the man who's a bit different moves on and the club goes back to acting like the majority of football clubs.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on May 04, 2018, 08:50:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Who's f**king squawking and f**king flailing f**king limbs? f**king f**king.......

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on May 04, 2018, 09:49:05 pm by colincramb »
I don’t understand why people think we need to spend above and beyond our means to compete next year. Shrewsbury appear to have done ok this year and I bet they don’t have a budget any different to ours, if not smaller. All we need to do is recruit well, make ourselves hard to beat and who knows?

The days of throwing good money after bad are gone. I don’t know why people find that so hard to believe. Just try accepting it and enjoy watching a club that you support, regardless of the budget!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on May 04, 2018, 09:59:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Has anyone thought, that DF might have more at his disposal to spend on wages than last season?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on May 04, 2018, 10:13:39 pm by Campsall rover »
Has anyone thought, that DF might have more at his disposal to spend on wages than last season?
Well i think he almost certainly will have. I honestly don’t know what all this budget is ‘rubbish’ nonesense is all about.  The owners want Championship football and will help the manager with a budget that is not going to put the club in financial trouble.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM. As just been mentioned look at SHREWSBURY TOWN.
Good managers can get success without massive budgets. ACCRINGTON STANLEY, second smallest budget in League 2 and they are Champions.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on May 04, 2018, 10:17:19 pm by RedJ »
Who's f**king squawking and f**king flailing f**king limbs? f**king f**king.......

There's plenty of websites you'll see people doing that as well but this isn't one of them. :P

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on May 04, 2018, 10:18:37 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
....The attendance figures are unreal 8000??? 7500??....

OooH! A chance for my mantra....
This season's average attendance is 8,038 and is likely to get a hundred or so bump on that this weekend. That's the best average at this level we've had in 50 years, better than all the penney, SOD and Little years. THAT, right there, is a measure of the club gaining support and going forward.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on May 05, 2018, 07:15:17 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Aye, 'the experiment' was a resounding success.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on May 05, 2018, 07:53:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
We were doomed anyway.

Had it worked, Bramall, Watson and Ryan would have shared the credit. Strange how when it proved unsuccessful Ryan took the brunt alone!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on May 05, 2018, 08:21:48 am by DonnyOsmond »
Didn't Bramall briefly step down during that time?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on May 05, 2018, 08:33:58 am by roversdude »
So we go on record and say we have the biggest budget ever seen in league one on a par with Man City- wonder what would happen when Fergie showed interest in a player
A smaller squad with players less prone to injury would work. Think how big our squad is now with players we have had to take on to cover
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:29:42 am by roversdude »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012