Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:59:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Partygate probe chief Sue Gray offered top job by Labour leader Starmer  (Read 3284 times)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
Partygate probe chief Sue Gray offered top job by Labour leader Starmer ...

By Chas Geiger
BBC News

Senior civil servant Sue Gray, who investigated lockdown gatherings in Downing Street, has been offered a job as Sir Keir Starmer's chief of staff.

A Labour spokesman said Sir Keir was "delighted" that "she hopes to accept the role subject to the normal procedures".

But allies of Boris Johnson reacted with anger to the news.

Former minister Jacob Rees-Mogg said Ms Gray's Partygate conclusions now looked "like a left-wing stitch up".

"So much for an impartial Civil Service, the Gray report now looks like a left-wing stitch up against a Tory prime minister," the former business secretary and Brexit opportunities minister tweeted.

A friend of Mr Johnson said Ms Gray's job offer undermined the validity of her investigation into parties held in Downing Street when Covid-19 restrictions were in force.

"What was supposed to be an investigation by independent civil servants is now revealed to have been carried out by someone who ultimately would go on to work for Keir Starmer," they said.

WELL I DID WARN YOU ALL ABOUT THE CIVIL SERVANT SABATEURS
  A WHILE AGO AS THE POST BELOW SHOWS

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

...Brexit Benefits list?

They've spotted one in the wild.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1620343142364106752

Well done lads.

Sorry i don't read twitter posts but perhaps it should be retitled "the one that got away" and the civil servants didn't sabotage

We used to have hunt saboteurs as we all know now we have the "Britex Civil Servant Saboteurs "

Beware the BCSS

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Too right, there were no parties and all the scenes were photoshopped, the cleaners made it up that they were abused no booze in a suitcase and johnson is the most honest person in politics.

ncRover

• Forum Member
Too right, there were no parties and all the scenes were photoshopped, the cleaners made it up that they were abused no booze in a suitcase and johnson is the most honest person in politics.

Not defending Johnson, but you’d be outraged and screaming institutional Tory bias were the political parties reversed here.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
What political bias?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
''Necessary to ‘get heavy with police’ over Covid lockdown, Matt Hancock said
Leaked WhatsApp exchanges from then health secretary to top civil servant in 2020 reveal concerns over enforcement of rules''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/02/matt-hancock-whatsapp-messages-simon-case-police-covid-lockdown

The cop on the door of No 10 didn't get heavy aye?

albie

• Forum Member
Very poor decision to employ Gray, as it gives the Tories an easy out on the findings of her report.
Reputation as being secretive, and opposed to freedom of information.....not a welcome development.

The revolving door is still well oiled, isn't it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Only if any want to listen to johnson, that argument says that all civil servants can't be employed because they may be biased, I have colleagues that have worked for liberal ministers that are activists.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Very poor decision to employ Gray, as it gives the Tories an easy out on the findings of her report.
Reputation as being secretive, and opposed to freedom of information.....not a welcome development.

The revolving door is still well oiled, isn't it?

Only if we ignore the facts that they had the parties while we were all locked in doors does it give them an out.

What Sue Gray does in her life after the investigation doesn't excuse what was happening in number 10.

idler

• VSC Member

Not defending Johnson, but you’d be outraged and screaming institutional Tory bias were the political parties reversed here.
I would bet money that it would have been played as she was so disgusted with the antics of the government that she wanted to work with a more honest party.
I could imagine that headline in the Mail.
Her move does muddy the waters a bit though and leave an opportunity to throw doubt on her impartiality though.

albie

• Forum Member
DO,

You only have to see how the Tory press have swooped on this to see it is a major political error of judgment by Keith.
It muddies the waters, which suits the Johnson narrative that he has little to account for.

I disagree with that story, but others will use it to discredit the Gray Report and its findings....they are already doing so!

In the same way that politicians should not be allowed to work for industries that they once supervised, civil servants should not move from that neutral advisory role to explicitly political employment.

It is a basic safeguard against corruption, or the perception that interests may be conflicted.
Clear lines of responsibilities need to separate the duties of a public servant from the political domain.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Would it be the same or worse or not an issue to appoint those that have worked for a party into top civil service roles?

albie

• Forum Member
That would be appalling, Syd.

It would be the end of the civil service as an independent profession.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
And yet the civil service survives .......

''The government was warned today against politicising the civil service "by the back door" as the number of named individuals who advised the Tories in opposition and have since been appointed to civil service positions rose to 10.

Last week a sequence of political appointees to the civil service surfaced, including Cameron's one time personal photographer, party videographer, internet guru, and image consultant.

Now it has emerged that two members of the implementation unit – an official team of civil servants in charge of the business plans announced by each department yesterday – also advised the Conservatives before the election''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/nov/08/labour-government-tory-civil-service

albie

• Forum Member
Precisely the point, Syd.

A two way street between civil service appointments and political roles is deeply corrosive of the democratic system of governance.

No-one is saying that it did not occur in other forms, but it should be removed from the operation of government. What starts as a trend to interchange in lower ranking posts becomes the norm at the top end.

There is a big problem with high ranking officials jumping from poacher to gamekeeper, and back again.

That is true whether done by the Tories or by Labour.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
I know you don't wish to accept it Albie (and others) but I think Starmer is totally different to  the tories that have ruled for 13+ years.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
I think we all know what the accusations would be if she went to work for the tories.

She's quite entitled to the job but I'm surprised Labour have gone down this route given it opens them up to criticism for the things they've been complaining about.

danumdon

• Forum Member
Sound's to me like very poor timing again from Starmer, giving Johnson's cohort an easy out again.

Im sure this appointment could of been communicated at a much later date, Starmer seems to have a gift of looking a gift horse in its mouth!

drfchound

• Forum Member
I know you don't wish to accept it Albie (and others) but I think Starmer is totally different to  the tories that have ruled for 13+ years.

Predictable that you would say that Syd.
We shall see when they win the next GE.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
There's a really, really simple response to all the people who are outraged at the bias of Sue Gray.

If you're certain that her political beliefs (which everyone has) caused her to produce a biassed report, you'll have no trouble pointing out precisely which statements of fact that she made in the report are untrue.

Off you go, Rees-Mogg et al.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 04:26:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
I don't think the report is an issue actually, granted there may have been discussions prior to that but feels unlikely.  It gives Johnson an open goal though which many may well agree with.  Again, if she was appointed head of staff for Rishi Sunak in the conservatives what would the outcry be?

I think the bigger point is that she knows a lot of detail about things that may be confidential to the conservative party and policy plans not yet announced which she shouldn't then be allowed to share.  Typically there should be an element of gardening leave or something like that like in most organisations?  I can't remember many high profile civil servants taking on a high profile political job for the other party such as this.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
She cannot take up the post for several months even though she has resigned her position

ncRover

• Forum Member
''Necessary to ‘get heavy with police’ over Covid lockdown, Matt Hancock said
Leaked WhatsApp exchanges from then health secretary to top civil servant in 2020 reveal concerns over enforcement of rules''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/02/matt-hancock-whatsapp-messages-simon-case-police-covid-lockdown

The cop on the door of No 10 didn't get heavy aye?

Horrible little man who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near public office ever again.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Partygate probe chief Sue Gray offered top job by Labour leader Starmer ...

By Chas Geiger
BBC News

Senior civil servant Sue Gray, who investigated lockdown gatherings in Downing Street, has been offered a job as Sir Keir Starmer's chief of staff.

A Labour spokesman said Sir Keir was "delighted" that "she hopes to accept the role subject to the normal procedures".

But allies of Boris Johnson reacted with anger to the news.

Former minister Jacob Rees-Mogg said Ms Gray's Partygate conclusions now looked "like a left-wing stitch up".

"So much for an impartial Civil Service, the Gray report now looks like a left-wing stitch up against a Tory prime minister," the former business secretary and Brexit opportunities minister tweeted.

A friend of Mr Johnson said Ms Gray's job offer undermined the validity of her investigation into parties held in Downing Street when Covid-19 restrictions were in force.

"What was supposed to be an investigation by independent civil servants is now revealed to have been carried out by someone who ultimately would go on to work for Keir Starmer," they said.

WELL I DID WARN YOU ALL ABOUT THE CIVIL SERVANT SABATEURS
  A WHILE AGO AS THE POST BELOW SHOWS

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

...Brexit Benefits list?

They've spotted one in the wild.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1620343142364106752

Well done lads.

Sorry i don't read twitter posts but perhaps it should be retitled "the one that got away" and the civil servants didn't sabotage

We used to have hunt saboteurs as we all know now we have the "Britex Civil Servant Saboteurs "

Beware the BCSS

"A friend of Mr Johnson..." (Well that narrows down the field) "...said 'What was supposed to be an investigation by living civil servants is now revealed to have been carried out by someone who ultimately will go on to die.' "

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Partygate probe chief Sue Gray offered top job by Labour leader Starmer
« Reply #24 on March 03, 2023, 04:48:43 pm by Filo »
"I know Sue Gray will be thorough and professional about her work... She is professional and formidable... She is known to be independent" - Nadine Dorries, January 2022

Sue Gray move to Starmers  office not surprising. Whilst writing report, she used QC who tweeted out pro Labour anti gov tweets whilst Alistair Campbell heaped praise upon her. Her comms assistant briefed against Johnson from day 1. The Gray report was a stitch up of PM and CSs - Nadine Dorries March 2023

How people flip when it doesn’t suit them eh?

ncRover

• Forum Member
I haven’t shared a political take with Owen Jones for a while

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1631674218499719169?s=46&t=Uj9lS9cW2ksdznjWwHqrkQ

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Sue Gray is independent and is known to be independent - Nadine Dorries to Sky News

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1631690590176813057

Sue Gray is independent & has the highest integrity and greatest reputation - Jacob Rees-Mogg to ITV News

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1631602583155490817

I'm not sure it is a particuarly good move by Starmer btw but what exactly did she do wrong in the Partygate enquiry? Were there not eye witnesses admitting that suitcases of wine smuggled into Downing Street and photos published of gatherings of people with drinks? What is the actual 'political bias' here?

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1631629041940791297
https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1631645505364140032

danumdon

• Forum Member

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1631674218499719169?s=46&t=Uj9lS9cW2ksdznjWwHqrkQ

I'd be a bit dubious to have to share anything with this fella, but in this instance he's right.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

Jones, as usual, in his rush to have a pop at Starmer is missing the bleeding obvious point.

If Gray had been appointed to run an investigation by Party X, had found that there was no case to answer against Party X or its members and then had been given a job by Party X, THAT would fail a "Would you think this bad if done by Party Y?" test.

But that's not the situation we have here. Gray was appointed by Johnson to investigate Johnson. No-one raised any issues whatsoever at the time that questioned whether she would be biassed against Johnson. No-one raised any issues about the factual conclusions that she came to. The biggest criticism was that she failed to investigate what looked on the surface to be the biggest breach of the lockdown rules (the party in his private flat) because The Met were looking into it, when in fact they didn't look into it. So it appears that Johnson got a free pass on that one.

In the absence of any evidence whatsoever that Gray was biassed against the Tories when conducting that investigation, the claims by Starmer's enemies (who, left or right, are starting to sound very much like each other) that there is something morally wrong about this, ring hollow. It's people who have made up their minds that they don't like Starmer deciding that this justifies them in not liking Starmer.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Happy for anyone of any political persuassion to answer my question above - What actual political bias did Sue Gray publish in her inquiry?

It wasn't her inquiry that saw Johnson & Sunak fined of course. That was a separate Met Police inquiry.

Although from Hancock's texts it appears that both were mislead and evidence withheld from them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012