Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:12:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: League One January transfers thread  (Read 27435 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: League One January transfers thread
« Reply #180 on January 21, 2020, 08:52:36 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think this summarises DM's position on the possibility of new faces arriving at the building...

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/darren-moore-talks-being-it-long-haul-doncaster-rovers-1370685

I think his references to the long haul, succession planning, continuation and building, suggest that he intends to wait until the right player/s are available.  It may not sit right with some of our more needy/desperate fans, but I think we need to accept this and wait for developments... 

I take that as a really strong position actually.  One thing I noted is looking at how the success of a short or long term approach has gone for us and what have we achieved when working on a short term basis?  Ferguson for all his faults did actually build something, he may have poorly managed it in some ways but he did build a side.  Mccann started to but didn't stick around.  SOD was the most successful at it, when he built a side it became very strong, let's see if DM can do the same over a few years.  If we don't do that we'll just come straight down again as we did after the Saunders/Flynn promotion as it had no long term substance behind it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on January 21, 2020, 08:55:31 am by Metalmicky »
I think this summarises DM's position on the possibility of new faces arriving at the building...

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/darren-moore-talks-being-it-long-haul-doncaster-rovers-1370685

I think his references to the long haul, succession planning, continuation and building, suggest that he intends to wait until the right player/s are available.  It may not sit right with some of our more needy/desperate fans, but I think we need to accept this and wait for developments... 

I take that as a really strong position actually.

So do I....

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on January 21, 2020, 09:07:30 am by Campsall rover »
Just done a tot up.
There’s have been 29 transfers involving a fee regarding incomings to the 71 FL Clubs up to & including yesterday.
Yes all of 29
All the others are Free transfers, unattached or Loans which the latter is the largest majority.
I would suggest any Free Transfers would be players other clubs don’t put a value on and are happy to off load in January to get them off the wage bill.

I am sure DM could bring in 3/4 of those but is that what we want or need.

Think we should just let DM deal with the recruitment as he sees fit.
He has a long term plan for this Club and he has my confidence to achieve the goals he will have set.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:13:53 am by Campsall rover »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on January 21, 2020, 09:16:42 am by the vicar »
Just done a tot up.
There’s have been 29 transfers involving a fee regarding incomings to the 71 FL Clubsup to & including yesterday.
Yes all of 29
All the others are Free transfers, unattached or Loans which the latter is the largest majority.
I would suggest any Free Transfers would be players other clubs don’t put a value on and are happy to off load in January to get them off the wage bill.

He has a long term plan for this Club and he has my confidence to achieve the goals he will have set.
Campsall mate, free transfers doesn't always mean that they are not much good, it also means the player does not add uo to the managers way of playing or he does not like his style of play

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on January 21, 2020, 09:28:34 am by dickos1 »
People keep saying he’s going to wait until he finds the right player
But he’s found them and put the offers in.

So that’s not the issue

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #185 on January 21, 2020, 09:33:04 am by Retdon1 »
People keep saying he’s going to wait until he finds the right player
But he’s found them and put the offers in.

So that’s not the issue

Yep the issue is that the players he wants don’t want to join us for what ever reason

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on January 21, 2020, 09:43:03 am by IDM »
Or negotiations take longer, or there are several teams looking at the same player, or their manager isn’t sure they want to sell/loan.. etc etc..

Wasn’t our loan of sterling delayed because he was being considered for Spurs’ first team squad.?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on January 21, 2020, 09:47:32 am by silent majority »
Deals are done, agreement has been reached. Now it's just a matter of timing, e.g. who comes in first will affect the deals that follow.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #188 on January 21, 2020, 09:49:20 am by IDM »
Is that a general comment on transfer proceedings, or a hint about our actual activity.?

Hopefully the latter and I noted “deals” being plural.!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on January 21, 2020, 09:49:57 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
DM will be considering short term on longer term, just as most managers do. He may have targets on his list who are not currently available but will be in the summer perhaps. In addition, say an opportunity came up to get one of those players on loan before his contract runs out, then I'm sure he would explore that.

Just as SO'D and others tracked his former players, like Brian Stock on loan from Preston, I'm sure they'll continually assess and reassess the right time to make moves depending on needs.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on January 21, 2020, 10:04:41 am by DRNaith »
Deals are done, agreement has been reached. Now it's just a matter of timing, e.g. who comes in first will affect the deals that follow.

Sorry to risk sounding thick here, SM, are you referring to Rovers with this, or just generally?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on January 21, 2020, 10:10:43 am by IDM »
I get the impression he means actual Rovers business, if only because he uses “now”..

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on January 21, 2020, 11:00:37 am by Alan Southstand »
‘Deals’ could be outgoing, not just incoming!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #193 on January 21, 2020, 11:05:00 am by dickos1 »
SM wouldn’t be posting something like that if it was about players leaving

Anyhow he said “who comes in first”

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on January 21, 2020, 11:07:20 am by steve@dcfd »
Yes we bring someone in first to replace an outgoing then we bring in other deals.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #195 on January 21, 2020, 11:11:04 am by IDM »
SM wouldn’t be posting something like that if it was about players leaving

Anyhow he said “who comes in first”

Agreed Dickos.. that and we have already suffered outgoings..

There is always going to be a worry that our better players (such as Whiteman) could be sold, we can’t avoid that fear - but it doesn’t mean there are going to be any more outgoings..

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on January 21, 2020, 11:14:42 am by SydneyRover »
It sounds good to me, happy to wait  :scarf:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on January 21, 2020, 11:32:06 am by Campsall rover »
Just done a tot up.
There’s have been 29 transfers involving a fee regarding incomings to the 71 FL Clubsup to & including yesterday.
Yes all of 29

Campsall mate, free transfers doesn't always mean that they are not much good, it also means the player does not add uo to the managers way of playing or he does not like his style of play
No Vicar you are correct, it doesn’t always mean that they are not much good. But obviously DM has his personal targets and up to press none of these freebies are on his list or so it would seem. If they are then either they or their agents are asking for unrealistic wages or surely we would have brought someone in by now.

We just have to be very patient and what will transpire will transpire. There really is no panic.
I think DM is looking further ahead than this season. That’s not to say we will not be going for a play off place this season and the possibility of promotion that scenario would bring.
Yes we will de going for it, of course we will, but as we all know that possibility is massively diminished without a couple of additions this month.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:37:03 am by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on January 21, 2020, 11:43:03 am by Campsall rover »
The other thing we should remember is something like 25% I think it is of the deals done in January are done on the very last day.

Who knows we might have 3 new players on Saturday 1st Feb.
On the other hand we might have none.

But i tell you what i ain’t losing any sleep over it, that’s a certainty.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on January 21, 2020, 12:37:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I think we're wisely waiting for the July sales, go hungry for a litte while, then snap up the bargains sharpish.

This season we will have no psycho take over bids, a settled board, all our best players sorted with contracts, and a continuity manager in place safe and secure. What could go wrong?  :scarf: :unsure:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on January 21, 2020, 01:33:50 pm by steve@dcfd »
But BRR GB says we are looking at players in high demand so we won’t be looking at bargains in July. Those players will still be in high demand in the summer with more competition for their services.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on January 21, 2020, 03:33:54 pm by scawsby steve »
I think we're wisely waiting for the July sales, go hungry for a litte while, then snap up the bargains sharpish.

This season we will have no psycho take over bids, a settled board, all our best players sorted with contracts, and a continuity manager in place safe and secure. What could go wrong?  :scarf: :unsure:

The board's objective for the season will have failed, most of our good players will leave, just as they did last year, and attendances will drop off, that's what could go wrong.

What makes you think we'll find it any easier to get deals over the line next Summer?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on January 21, 2020, 04:03:20 pm by DearneValleyRover »
There will be signings this summer and possibly one before Friday

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on January 21, 2020, 04:07:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Before Friday? Bloody Hell, I hope we're not being too hasty!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #205 on January 21, 2020, 04:09:25 pm by DearneValleyRover »

It’s causing indigestion

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #206 on January 21, 2020, 04:26:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You know wise men say only fools rush in? I wonder if DM  still wants Teddy Sheringham for the U23 squad?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on January 21, 2020, 04:31:21 pm by DearneValleyRover »
You know wise men say only fools rush in? I wonder if DM  still wants Teddy Sheringham for the U23 squad?

Only if he can get Alan Shearer to hold his hand

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on January 21, 2020, 04:34:33 pm by South East Rover »

Think most of us would like signings this winter  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on January 21, 2020, 06:49:12 pm by drfchound »

Yeah but please note that he only said “possibly”.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012