Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:21:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers In the Race For Alfie May  (Read 5954 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Dav

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers In the Race For Alfie May
« Reply #1 on May 11, 2022, 04:24:55 pm by The Dav »
I wonder if we have a sell on clause ?

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 11, 2022, 05:14:28 pm by Goole Rover »
It was as plain as the nose on your face that Alfie had potential yet I was shouted down. The Marquis loving crew have seen their hero go the opposite way.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 11, 2022, 05:26:37 pm by turnbull for england »
'Marquis loving crew? ' that sounds like appreciating the most successful striker we've had in years at goal every other game  who played most every game is a bad thing

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 11, 2022, 05:40:12 pm by selby »
  A lot of football people in the division rated Marquis the best in the division at the time GR, that is why one of the biggest clubs in the division paid the money they did for Marquis at the time and Alfie went to a division 2 side for a nominal or nothing fee and our manager at the time was happy for him to go.
  He has done well at Cheltenham and well done to the lad, but if he moves the team will have to suit his stile and he is still a big risk to pay any substantial fee for.
  I hope if he moves he does well again at another club, but they will have to play to his strengths to do so like Cheltenham have, if he stays there it is questionable whether he would do as well again and I can see Cheltenham wanting to cash in while the going is good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 05:59:09 pm by selby »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 11, 2022, 05:44:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It was as plain as the nose on your face that Alfie had potential yet I was shouted down. The Marquis loving crew have seen their hero go the opposite way.

One scored loads of goals for rovers, one didn't.  Leaving rovers was right for Alfie and right for us. No guarantee he'd have worked out here longer term just as Marquis (apparently) didn't elsewhere.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 11, 2022, 05:51:04 pm by Colin C No.3 »
If only he’d got rid of that ponytail earlier.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 11, 2022, 06:21:04 pm by Chris the Rover »
I always rated Alfie - he gave his all in every game he played. I dont think he was given enough opportunity when he was with us and has shown at Cheltenham what he can do if given a run in the team. Good luck to the lad.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 11, 2022, 06:37:29 pm by drfchound »
I always rated Alfie - he gave his all in every game he played. I dont think he was given enough opportunity when he was with us and has shown at Cheltenham what he can do if given a run in the team. Good luck to the lad.

My opinion too Chris.
I wonder whether PNE asked Ben Whiteman for an opinion on Alfie.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 11, 2022, 06:38:28 pm by Daniel_Smith »

I thought he was given plenty of chances for us personally. He just didn't score enough. Ran around. Showed some promise. But wasn't the player he is now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but let's not rewrite history.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 11, 2022, 06:45:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »

One scored loads of goals for rovers, one didn't.  Leaving rovers was right for Alfie and right for us. No guarantee he'd have worked out here longer term just as Marquis (apparently) didn't elsewhere.

This was supposed to be a light-hearted thread, but....

You cannot compare a player who was immune from being dropped or even subbed to another who was lucky to get on the pitch let alone stay on it.

But, hey-ho, we're all Donny, Ain't we!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 11, 2022, 07:08:31 pm by Jonathan »
“The Marquis loving crew”…. otherwise known as supporters.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 11, 2022, 07:59:30 pm by PDX_Rover »
I always rated Alfie too. Delighted for him - has proved what he can do given a run.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 11, 2022, 08:16:17 pm by ravenrover »
We persistrd on playing Alfie wide when he was potentially a fox in the box.
And he was a lovely polite lad when I met  him in a bar and had a chat with him after the Grimsby game

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 11, 2022, 08:27:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »

We persistrd on playing Alfie wide when he was potentially a fox in the box.
And he was a lovely polite lad when I met  him in a bar and had a chat with him after the Grimsby game
Absolutely

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 11, 2022, 08:37:19 pm by Plumbster »
He’s got sh1t hair but we don’t care, Alfie, Alfie May

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 11, 2022, 08:46:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Fergie identified him and may well have done a better job developing him. I think Alfie saw Marquis as his role model - and he wasn’t, so all credit to Cheltenham for shaping him into a finished product now comparable to Marquis, but in his own style. Who knows, he may well succeed at the level above Marquis.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 11, 2022, 11:13:25 pm by since-1969 »
I wonder if we have a sell on clause ?
No he had a gift card apparently!!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 11, 2022, 11:21:02 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I sound like a broken record but I couldn't be happier for him that he's done well. Just a really lovely kid. Deserves this through all his hard work.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 11, 2022, 11:50:56 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Fergie had a lot of good players back then, but he got it wrong with Alfie. Football is all about opinions, his opinion at the time was to let him go. We don’t know if he would have developed as well at our club.

I think he would have, just needed time.
It’s cost the club a lot of money. That’s why having the right manager is the first priority. The decision’s they make, can make or break the club.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 12, 2022, 06:47:26 am by roversdude »
It wasn’t Fergie who let him go

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 12, 2022, 07:45:22 am by phil old leake »
Daniel. Are you suggesting his current coaching staff have improved him from when he left us

I always rated him. He just needed a run of games and we would have seen more goals

Good luck to the lad I hope he makes a real success of it

I’ve never understood the Alfie knockers on here he always gave 100% which is something that can’t be said about this current squad if half of what’s written on here is true

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 12, 2022, 09:09:14 am by Reg of the Rovers »
It wasn't an issue of May vs Marquis though, we got rid of May who was an asset with a very good chance of increasing in value, and Moore brought in temporary loans to cover with no chance of increasing in quality or value (to our benefit). A bit like renting if you can afford to buy a house. See John-Jules and Simoes, I'd have happily played May of 2 seasons ago over that type of player, knowing he was ours and would give 100% every chance he got, and was likely to improve to our future benefit.  We'd have also avoided the need for the annual rebuild and lack of 'identity' which is caused in part by having loads of loan players who aren't committed to Donny.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 12, 2022, 10:13:32 am by Draytonian III »
Alfie is big mates with Bradley Dack who plays at Blackburn

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 12, 2022, 10:49:58 am by selby »
  The only question we should be bothered about is have we got a sell on clause in the contract he signed when he left, and if we have hope that somebody pays a lot of money for him.
   What he and the club he might go to do after that is completely up to them, and not a lot to do with us apart from the few who are interested.  It's a hard game and now the interest should be what is in it for us if there is anything at all, and if any other clubs are actually interested.
  And that goes for Whiteman as well as he could well interest other clubs after the good season he has had, and could go for decent money.
  As for Marquis the last I saw the Charlton fans are doing cartwheels at signing such a good player for free from Lincoln who look like they have begun a fire fighting exorcise.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 12, 2022, 09:37:06 pm by Upton Rover »
Football a funny old game

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 13, 2022, 09:40:30 am by The Beast »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, he had chance after chance to prove himself at Rovers and didn't.
Marquis delivered for Rovers, no comparison.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 13, 2022, 10:09:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Strikers need to be given a decent run in the side without fear of being dropped. Marquis was given that guarantee at Rovers and flourished. At all his other clubs Marquis wasn't given that guarantee and was mediocre.

Alfie May was lucky to get on the pitch with us, let alone stay on it!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 13, 2022, 10:16:01 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 13, 2022, 10:35:48 am by selby »
  Looking at the career stats in league games it looks like we were one of the teams to miss out in his hit one miss one career, and his next club if he is on the move will be taking a risk he can change that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012