Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:08:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalty shoot outs ...  (Read 1641 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Penalty shoot outs ...
« on May 26, 2012, 08:26:26 pm by Donnywolf »
... are a necessary evil

BUT when it gets to sudden death like today HTFC V SUFC why can they not alternate the kicks to make it a bit fairer

.......... I will elaborate.........

If it is 5-5 or 2-2 and it then goes to sudden death then team A Hudds T today takes the 6th and scores and The Blades then equalise .

I say to be fair Team B then take the next one and Team A then attempt to equalise )or win of course)

I wanted HTFC to win but as they kept knocking in one after the other it just kept pressure on Sheff U to score or go out and if they Sheff U got chance to score and take the lead with the next kick that just would seem so much fairer

Pens are a Lottery for sure and I am sure others will say f*** it whichever way you decide it , it will still be crap

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Penalty shoot outs ...
« Reply #1 on May 26, 2012, 09:35:03 pm by nice one rovers »
I've had some wine , but isn't that what happens already?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 26, 2012, 09:44:30 pm by Donnywolf »
No ....

cos after a shit first 5 penalties HTFC scored their 6th penno meaning The Blades HAD to score to stay alive (and they did) but then the Town scored their 7th 8th 9th 10th and 11th and Sheff U had to score each one to stay alive BUT I think ot would be better if they swapped every time a new round was completed

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 26, 2012, 11:28:31 pm by RoversAlias »
Nature of the coin toss I'm afraid. Your suggested way of doing it is going to be quite confusing under such high pressure circumstances, plus I think you could argue that the momentum shift it could cause is unfair.

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 27, 2012, 10:20:15 am by Woodhead Passer »
to be fair, i think Sheff Utd decided to take the last penalties as seen as the penalties were taken in the Huddersfield end

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 27, 2012, 12:10:25 pm by Superspy »
to be fair, i think Sheff Utd decided to take the last penalties as seen as the penalties were taken in the Huddersfield end

There were 2 coin tosses, Hudds won them both and chose to kick first.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 27, 2012, 01:24:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If we must have play –offs I think the team who finished highest in the league table should at least be given some kind of advantage as a reward.

The team who finished 6th should play away at the team who finished 5th  in a one match decider. The winner of that game would then play away against the team who finished 4th. The winner of that would then play at the team who finished 3rd in the play off final.

All games that finish level could be decided on the most corners awarded in the game, and if necessary the least fouls conceded.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 27, 2012, 01:36:47 pm by RoversAlias »
They do get an advantage - they play the lowest placed qualifier and get the second leg at home. What more to do you want?

There is nothing wrong with the play-off set-up. It is simple enough, it works and always has. Look at the mess created in Rugby (both League and Union) because of trying to over-complicate the damn play-offs.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 27, 2012, 08:22:18 pm by hoolahoop »
No ....

cos after a shit first 5 penalties HTFC scored their 6th penno meaning The Blades HAD to score to stay alive (and they did) but then the Town scored their 7th 8th 9th 10th and 11th and Sheff U had to score each one to stay alive BUT I think ot would be better if they swapped every time a new round was completed

I can't see what difference it makes going first or second had the Udders missed their 7th. the Blunts could then take theirs in the knowledge that even if they missed it ..........things would still be even.
Am I missing something here ? If both teams had really gone for it  then penalties shouldn't have been needed in a 2 hour game usually.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012