Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:29:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalty shout?  (Read 2095 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Penalty shout?
« on August 30, 2023, 11:09:13 pm by mushRTID »
I don’t recall many appeals but Grant has mentioned it in his interview.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Penalty shout?
« Reply #1 on August 30, 2023, 11:10:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Clear pen no doubt.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 30, 2023, 11:12:56 pm by Filo »
Can’t really complain, our goal was offside

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 30, 2023, 11:30:20 pm by RobTheRover »
I thought the ref was poor. Made a number of puzzling decisions

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 30, 2023, 11:35:01 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought the ref was poor. Made a number of puzzling decisions

I was fuming when he booked Roberts up the other end after letting them away with kicking the ball away or carrying it off frequently.  So inconsistent.

But I do like that rule.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 30, 2023, 11:35:26 pm by danumdon »
It was noticeable how he gave Lawler the hurry up but later on neglected to do the same for Pickford.

Seemed to want to give them every decision in the second half, happens every time we play a "top" side.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 30, 2023, 11:37:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was noticeable how he gave Lawler the hurry up but later on neglected to do the same for Pickford.

Seemed to want to give them every decision in the second half, happens every time we play a "top" side.

The only way Keane got close to beating Ironside was by shoving him in the back or wrestling him. Not a single one given as a foul.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 30, 2023, 11:46:47 pm by drfchound »
Agreed.  Hard to believe that no Everton player saw yellow tonight after the persistent fouling and shirt pulling that they did.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 31, 2023, 06:40:57 am by Upton Rover »
Sure was a pen, but our goal was offside, so evened itself out

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 31, 2023, 06:43:46 am by Donnywolf »
28 did a left foot in challenge early on and followed it with 2 more fouls within the next 5 minutes .

All ignored.

2 glaring pulls back on our players around half way , so is that a contact allowed area now

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 31, 2023, 08:37:34 am by donnievic »
50/50 one looking at them at pic for me fairly close to the shot and not sure if arm is outstretched but deffo not fully so sum could say it’s in a natural position when going to ground nowadays with the laws and the ref can’t see from his position and woukd be bit disappointed if given against us,also few rose tinted glasses on buy fans aswell as there was a couple of pull backs from rovers players aswell that went unpunished aswell,didn’t think the ref was too bad really

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 31, 2023, 08:42:07 am by Filo »
50/50 one looking at them at pic for me fairly close to the shot and not sure if arm is outstretched but deffo not fully so sum could say it’s in a natural position when going to ground nowadays with the laws and the ref can’t see from his position and woukd be bit disappointed if given against us,also few rose tinted glasses on buy fans aswell as there was a couple of pull backs from rovers players aswell that went unpunished aswell,didn’t think the ref was too bad really

I thought as the game went on the ref increasingly gave Everton more, and the whole game ignored Ironside getting pulled all over the place

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 31, 2023, 08:47:06 am by Dabbermoo »
Not a penalty for me, too close and arms not outstretched in an un natural position, donny goal clearly offside but will happily take the slice of fortune we were served. I thought the ref was generally good although was just waiting for Beto and Keane to be booked for accumulation of fouls which never came and Roberts showed a bit of immaturity with his yellow card. All in all what a great game of football, was a joy to watch and special mention to the South stand, full of cheers and singing and showed class at the final whistle to applaud a great team performance. Hopefully stays the same on Saturday and all future home games.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:52:07 am by Dabbermoo »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 31, 2023, 10:54:53 am by normal rules »
I thought it was a pen but then our goal was half a yard offside which var would have seen if it was a prem game. So a bit of balance . Take the goal and not the pen given the choice .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 12:56:10 pm by normal rules »

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 31, 2023, 11:36:44 am by rich1471 »
The goal when you look really is not clear cut offside there is a player not in the picture who looks like he played him inside ,but was a penalty

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 31, 2023, 12:27:37 pm by drfchound »
Our goal was not clearly offside.
Possibly marginally but inches not feet.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 31, 2023, 03:05:35 pm by Drover »
28 did a left foot in challenge early on and followed it with 2 more fouls within the next 5 minutes .

All ignored.

2 glaring pulls back on our players around half way , so is that a contact allowed area now

Yep,the first 10 mins the ref was giving everything to Everton,but after that,I think he started to realise we was playing much better than them and became fairer,until later on in the game and switched back to being lenient on them.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 31, 2023, 08:07:07 pm by Petche »

The only way Keane got close to beating Ironside was by shoving him in the back or wrestling him. Not a single one given as a foul.

How on earth has he got England caps?

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 31, 2023, 08:13:15 pm by RoversInSpain »
Yes .. this, look very closely and there is a leg in a blue sock … it’s incredibly tight.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 31, 2023, 08:24:38 pm by Filo »
Yes .. this, look very closely and there is a leg in a blue sock … it’s incredibly tight.

Yes looked again, you are correct, not the 3 yards off that Dyche claims, and not the miles offside Everton fans claim, in fact if you put the VAR lines on that probably would be level and onside

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 31, 2023, 09:34:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Yes looked again, you are correct, not the 3 yards off that Dyche claims, and not the miles offside Everton fans claim, in fact if you put the VAR lines on that probably would be level and onside

It's one that VAR couldn't (or at least, shouldn't try to) adjudicate on.

If you watch the replay, the players are moving relative to each other very quickly. In one frame, Rowe's foot has clearly not made contact with the ball and Ironside is clearly onside. In the  next frame, the ball has clearly left Rowe's foot, and Ironside's knee is maybe 3 inches beyond the defender's heel. On that evidence, it's impossible to judge.

VAR would no doubt be used to give a faux authoritative judgement. But it's a delusion of certainty. The truth is that was literally too close to call. Dyche made himself look stupid and very mean spirited with his "3 yards" comment. It's what a man under very great pressure would do. Ignore the fact and paint an alternative truth.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 01, 2023, 10:23:54 am by Alan Southstand »
If there’s any doubt, and there clearly is in this case, then the on-field decision stands, I.e. no offside, goal awarded.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 01, 2023, 11:39:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
If there’s any doubt, and there clearly is in this case, then the on-field decision stands, I.e. no offside, goal awarded.

I don't think they are applying that principle to offsides are they? I've seen a bunch of ridiculously marginal decisions adjudicated on by VAR - literally an inch of toe or shoulder either way.

It's ridiculous because it's based on an entirely false premise - that there is a defined moment in time when the pass occurs, and therefore there is a defined moment in time at which the player is or isn't in an offside position. But that's fundamentally wrong. The contact between. Foot or head and ball lasts from several hundredths of a second and in that time, parts of players' bodies can move by inches.

The only logical decision if VAR says there are only 2-3 inches in it is to adjudicate that it's too close yo definitively call. And then the on field decision SHOULD stand. But no-one wants to do that because for decisions like offsides, VAR has been given a cloak of faux certainty.

On our specific example from Wednesday, it's clear to me that the call of offside or not cannot be definitively made from the video evidence. Anyone saying it was an obvious mistake is flat wrong. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 01:51:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 01, 2023, 11:44:53 am by Donnywolf »

VAR would no doubt be used to give a faux authoritative judgement. But it's a delusion of certainty. The truth is that was literally too close to call. Dyche made himself look stupid and very mean spirited with his "3 yards" comment. It's what a man under very great pressure would do. Ignore the fact and paint an alternative truth.

Sacked soon one morning, he'll get sacked soon one morning , sacked soon one morning !

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 01, 2023, 12:03:55 pm by Filo »

I don't think they are applying that principle to offsides are they? I've seen a bunch of ridiculously marginal decisions adjudicated on by VAR - literally an inch of toe or shoulder either way.

It's ridiculous because it's based on an entirely false premise - that there is a defined moment in time when the past occurs, and therefore there is a defined moment in time at which the player is or isn't in an offside position. But that's fundamentally wrong. The contact between. Foot or head and ball lasts from several hundredths of a second and in that time, parts of players' bodies can move by inches.

The only logical decision if VAR says there are only 2-3 inches in it is to adjudicate that it's too close yo definitively call. And then the on field decision SHOULD stand. But no-one wants to do that because for decisions like offsides, VAR has been given a cloak of faux certainty.

On our specific example from Wednesday, it's clear to me that the call of offside or not cannot be definitively made from the video evidence. Anyone saying it was an obvious mistake is flat wrong. 

The equivalent of Umpires call in Cricket

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 01, 2023, 04:34:36 pm by EasyforDennis »
Offside - NO
Penalty - YES

TinyPortal © 2005-2012