Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:30:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we appeal that red card ?  (Read 3631 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Can we appeal that red card ?
« Reply #30 on April 28, 2024, 12:03:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Watching the video back I think the key question is whether Sterry’s header would have gone in for an own goal. I think there’s a possibility it would have done, but equally it might have been cleared.

There is no way any Gillingham player is getting to the ball to score.

I don’t think any appeal could be considered frivolous given the genuine doubt around whether a goal was denied.

does the goals move at all when the ball gets closer because it would of gone a good 6 yard wide lol 

Fair point, it might have been going wide. Tough to tell.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 28, 2024, 12:08:09 pm by donnievic »
He handled the ball miles out of the area.

The force Sterry put into the header meant no defender was going to catch up to the ball.

It's a stone cold red card. Just accept it and move on
.on wot grounds do you come up with that ???the ball wasn’t going in,don’t really blame the ref he takes one look at it so as soon as lino flags he had a decision to make which I feel was the wrong one
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 12:11:04 pm by donnievic »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 28, 2024, 12:09:50 pm by Filo »

The force Sterry put into the header meant no defender was going to catch up to the ball.

It's a stone cold red card. Just accept it and move on.on wot grounds do you come up with that ???the ball wasn’t going in,don’t really blame the ref he takes one look at it so as soon as lino flags he had a decision to make which I feel was the wrong one

There needs to be evidence it was not going in, not fans opinion, so far I’ve seen no evidence

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 28, 2024, 12:14:29 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Watching the video back I think the key question is whether Sterry’s header would have gone in for an own goal. I think there’s a possibility it would have done, but equally it might have been cleared.

There is no way any Gillingham player is getting to the ball to score.

I don’t think any appeal could be considered frivolous given the genuine doubt around whether a goal was denied.

does the goals move at all when the ball gets closer because it would of gone a good 6 yard wide lol 

Fair point, it might have been going wide. Tough to tell.

But then it isn't DOGSO and thus based on the FA's rule book not a red card but a caution.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 28, 2024, 12:17:56 pm by pib »

It's a stone cold red card. Just accept it and move on.

I thought that too. He got a fair bit on the header. Fair chance it would’ve gone in if on target, which was difficult to say from where I stood.

Maybe in hindsight it would’ve been better to keep TLT on and concede given it went to 1-2 straight away anyway, but I don’t even think TLT thought about it, looked instinctive to me.

No harm done on the day as we got what we needed. Let’s hope Jones can pull out a performance in the first leg. I wonder if there’s any prospect of an emergency loan if Lawlor is still unavailable? Or can you only do that in the event of injuries to all your keepers (ie not a suspension in TLT’s case)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 28, 2024, 12:26:24 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
good suggestion pib

i was going to say - doing the he says she say lark will get us nowhere and the only chance is down

the direct or indirect thread route  definition of a player does the goalkeeper become a player outside the area because his special privileges are rescinded

can we concentrate on

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=290999.0

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 28, 2024, 12:50:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I thought that too. He got a fair bit on the header. Fair chance it would’ve gone in if on target, which was difficult to say from where I stood.

Maybe in hindsight it would’ve been better to keep TLT on and concede given it went to 1-2 straight away anyway, but I don’t even think TLT thought about it, looked instinctive to me.

No harm done on the day as we got what we needed. Let’s hope Jones can pull out a performance in the first leg. I wonder if there’s any prospect of an emergency loan if Lawlor is still unavailable? Or can you only do that in the event of injuries to all your keepers (ie not a suspension in TLT’s case)

Emergency keepers are if the only keeper available have under 3 first team appearances or something like that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 28, 2024, 02:48:44 pm by Campsall rover »
It seems wrong to have to appeal to get the decision reviewed because appeals open the door to aggravated punishment . The referee's committee should automatically review all red card incidents after the game and rescind or confirm irrespective of appeals.
Why do football football regulators not understand that rugby is more dynamic from this point of view and take the example into football?
Because most of the the people running professional football have never played the game and in a word
( just so I don’t waffle ) are useless, 2 words, incompetent.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 28, 2024, 02:54:49 pm by Campsall rover »

About 2 foot I reckon. It’s not a stone cold 100% red card.
But yes we should move on. Get on with it and give Louis Jones massive support before the kick off at Crewe.
Sing his name proud and loud.
Yes he may not be as good as TLT, he isn’t as good we all know that but he is a DRFC goalkeeper and he deserves our backing. Give him as much confidence as we can. It’s a lonely place being a keeper when your confidence is down.
The outfield players have got 9 others on the field. The keeper has no one just himself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:00:17 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 28, 2024, 02:57:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Maybe VAR could have defined if it was in/out of the penalty area, but alas…..
really!!!!!! Wasn’t even close at least 2 yard outside
His feet were. His arm touching the ball is a lot further back.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 28, 2024, 03:16:05 pm by donnievic »
like I said still at least 2 yard out it isn’t even close

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 28, 2024, 04:05:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
in hindsight, TLT should have let the ball go past him. It was going miles wide.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 28, 2024, 05:15:29 pm by i_ateallthepies »

The line marking the D isn't part of the penalty area it is simply an arc ten yards from the penalty spot to define the closest that players can stand when a penalty is to be taken.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 28, 2024, 05:40:53 pm by donnievic »

The line marking the D isn't part of the penalty area it is simply an arc ten yards from the penalty spot to define the closest that players can stand when a penalty is to be taken.
I know because if it was it would of been close

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 28, 2024, 06:08:24 pm by i_ateallthepies »
apologies, donnievic.  My remark wasn't aimed at you but was simply to add a bit of detail to your already correct remark.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 28, 2024, 07:05:26 pm by Drover »
It's unfortunate,but we have to move on,Last time we played Crewe over a 2 legged semi-final we had half a squad down with a bug and we still got through it and won,Im sure we can cope without TLT for 1 leg,we need to give whoever is in nets our fullest support.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 28, 2024, 07:09:47 pm by drfchound »

Irrespective of how much power was in Sterry header, the ball was not going into the goal.
It would have gone for a corner had a defender not got there first.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 28, 2024, 07:14:08 pm by Filo »

Irrespective of how much power was in Sterry header, the ball was not going into the goal.

That may well be true, but is there any evidence it was going wide apart from hearsay from a few fans?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 28, 2024, 07:24:13 pm by danumdon »

That may well be true, but is there any evidence it was going wide apart from hearsay from a few fans?

Unfortunately without the aid of video to prove the point, Filo is correct.

A panel would agree that someone in the middle of the pitch looking at this issue head on would have the best angle to judge this. They would conclude that the Ref would be that person.

Very difficult to argue against this.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 28, 2024, 07:29:47 pm by drfchound »
I was right in line with Sterrys header and I can categorically say it was NOT Going in.

Maybe some people might think that Prez is fibbing then.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 28, 2024, 07:30:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The evidence from the clip suggests that the header was going miles wide of the goal.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 28, 2024, 07:31:37 pm by drfchound »
The evidence from the clip suggests that the header was going miles wide of the goal.

In real time, live, on Saturday I thought it was going wide.
Having watched the highlights I haven’t changed my mind.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on April 28, 2024, 07:36:42 pm by Filo »
I was right in line with Sterrys header and I can categorically say it was NOT Going in.

Maybe some people might think that Prez is fibbing then.

No one is saying that including me, what I’m saying is to go to an appeal you need conclusive evidence

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on April 28, 2024, 07:42:03 pm by danumdon »

You know just looking at it again i agree, if you freeze the point where TLT gets his hand on it you can see he is positioned to the left of the penalty spot in a straight line (BST could do some geometry for us again and prove it) with this being the case and from the position that Sterry heads it (he's to the left of TLT as we look)couple with the distance he is out from the goal line then compounding the balls flight trajectory back would have it missing the left hand post by a good distance.

Maybe we should of appealed it.

BST get your slide ruler out.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on April 28, 2024, 07:45:04 pm by drfchound »

You know just looking at it again i agree, if you freeze the point where TLT gets his hand on it you can see he is positioned to the left of the penalty spot in a straight line (BST could do some geometry for us again and prove it) with this being the case and from the position that Sterry heads it (he's to the left of TLT as we look)couple with the distance he is out from the goal line then compounding the balls flight trajectory back would have it missing the left hand post by a good distance.

It’s a shame we can’t use something like they do in cricket when looking to see whether a ball would have hit the stumps.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 28, 2024, 07:59:51 pm by StocktonRover »
I watched a couple of Gillingham vlogs of the game.
One was filming from behind the goal. Unfortunately he didnt film the handball but did cover the resulting freekick

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 28, 2024, 09:36:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Not sure what the point is in doing that again. I was correct in the analysis of Dahlberg's position  for that goal at Hillsborough and all that resulted in was decision from folk who didn't understand it. I'll let it pass this time, ta very much.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 28, 2024, 09:41:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The problem with trying to make any definitive assessment on yesterday's incident is twofold.

1) There was little distance between Sterry's header and the ball hitting TLT's hand, and from a single, non-optimal video angle it's difficult to be certain what the trajectory of the ball was.

2) We've no idea what spin there might or might not have been on the ball, and therefore what direction it might have gone when it bounced.

All in all, there's not enough clear data to say that the ref definitely got the decision wrong. He might have done, but no panel is going to reverse the decision based on the info we've seen.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 28, 2024, 10:11:10 pm by drfchound »

Not sure what the point is in doing that again. I was correct in the analysis of Dahlberg's position  for that goal at Hillsborough and all that resulted in was decision from folk who didn't understand it. I'll let it pass this time, ta very much.

Let’s be honest, you were right about the Dahlberg thing, in your own opinion.
I posted pictures which clearly proved that from the angle you showed that things are not what you wanted us all to believe.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 29, 2024, 12:57:38 am by andysly »
I think the ref knew he'd dropped a clanger with the red card and it affected his decision making from then on...but usually a ref will try and even things up this guy seemed intent on giving nothing to us 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012