Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:20:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Long throw  (Read 2458 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Long throw
« on April 01, 2013, 07:17:17 pm by mushRTID »
How many goals from this tactic? I make it 0.

I hope we drop this in the championship, if it doesn't work in this league it won't there.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Re: Long throw
« Reply #1 on April 01, 2013, 07:24:14 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Never won a single header today from the long throw. Having said that, it does put the opposition under pressure

bigdonnybob

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 01, 2013, 07:42:06 pm by bigdonnybob »
One thing I noticed today was that Rob Jones was nearer the back post for Tommy's long throw, now I know he is good but even he cant get it that far. Surely the better option is for Jones and/or McCombe to 'glance' the ball on to others not so verticallly gifted to get in the onion bag

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 01, 2013, 07:42:52 pm by mushRTID »
I just think with the quality we have we should be able to manoeuvre a throw in, into a position to cross the ball. Hate the long throw.

pubteam

« Reply #4 on April 01, 2013, 07:44:43 pm by pubteam »
I just don't think Tommy's throw is 'long' enough to be effective. It requires Rob Jones to flick it on at the near post with a standing jump. If it was a bit longer and went into the goalmouth, then we'd be able to have players attacking it with a running jump like a corner.

I agree, it's proven to be totally ineffective. Throw it to Cotts and get him to cross it instead.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 01, 2013, 07:45:16 pm by Rios »
One thing I noticed today was that Rob Jones was nearer the back post for Tommy's long throw, now I know he is good but even he cant get it that far. Surely the better option is for Jones and/or McCombe to 'glance' the ball on to others not so verticallly gifted to get in the onion bag

It only works if Jones is up against a centre back who's not as tall as him.  Unfortunately today the Swindon defender was not only nearly as tall, but also pretty handy in the air so someone with a bit of intelligence told Jones to go to the back post, taking the defender out of the game and letting McCombe and Brown go for the near post flick on.  Still didn't work though...

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 01, 2013, 07:47:02 pm by DonnyNoel »

It only works if Jones is up against a centre back who's not as tall as him.  Unfortunately today the Swindon defender was not only nearly as tall, but also pretty handy in the air so someone with a bit of intelligence told Jones to go to the back post, taking the defender out of the game and letting McCombe and Brown go for the near post flick on.  Still didn't work though...

Agreed, I also think the last few months have seen Jones being marked tighter at set pieces in general.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 01, 2013, 07:47:45 pm by IDM »
I think it's ok - another tactic almost as good as a corner.  I would rather we didn't employ it every throw though.  On another thread, some fans have criticised us for not crossing enough, yet the long throws are another form of crossing?

Opinions will change if we score a championship winning goal at Brentford from a Spurr long throw!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 09, 2013, 10:54:03 pm by mushRTID »
Another game passes with no result from this. I wish we'd drop this dreadful tactic, were not Stoke.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 09, 2013, 10:57:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It puts pressure on. I think it works we get a lot of corners from it and we have scored a few from the second cross at least.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 09, 2013, 11:02:48 pm by RoversAlias »
I like that we do it. It is as effective as some free kicks/corners and we've got the flick on from it sometimes. Much better than lobbing it short to a static man (which all of our throw ins have been for the past 6 years) and then that man either loses it or kicks it against an opponent for another throw-in.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 09, 2013, 11:36:24 pm by GazLaz »
Spurr has the shortest long throw ever!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 09, 2013, 11:43:16 pm by donnievic »
At least spurred long throw gets past the 1st man unlike most of cotterills crosses

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 09, 2013, 11:44:45 pm by dickos1 »
It's more likely to work in the championship than in this division

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 09, 2013, 11:46:08 pm by dickos1 »
At least spurred long throw gets past the 1st man unlike most of cotterills crosses

Is that a joke?
Without his shit crosses we'd be midtable at best,

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 09, 2013, 11:49:07 pm by andysly »
Spurr does throw a short long throw, what I fail to grasp is why we don't place someone where it's likely to land rather than where we want it to..
Jones should try and come forward a couple of yards to flick it on

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 09, 2013, 11:51:54 pm by donnievic »
Oh yeah he has 20 assist how could I forget not bad from 500 balls in
Is that a joke?
Without his shit crosses we'd be midtable at best,

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 10, 2013, 01:30:37 am by dickos1 »
The most assists in the country yet u slag him off.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 10, 2013, 02:56:22 am by jonnydog »
The one throw tonight that I liked from Spurr was just short of the half way line in our half, on the east side. He threw it quickly and long down the wing to (I think) Cotterill. Sadly Cotts couldn't control it past their defender, if he had it would have put him clean through to either shoot or square it if necessary.

Possibly one move for the future for a quick counter attack?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:58:45 am by jonnydog »

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 10, 2013, 09:11:14 am by VivaRovers »
Oh yeah he has 20 assist how could I forget not bad from 500 balls in

Can we frame this? Its brilliant.

Yeah, Cotterill leads the country in assists, and has had a hand in more than half of Rovers League goals this season... but what is he really offering us?

That said, I also remain unconvinced that the long throw is an effective tactic for us at present.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:47:30 am by VivaRovers »

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 10, 2013, 09:12:45 am by Norfolk N Chance »
How many goals from this tactic? I make it 0.

I hope we drop this in the championship, if it doesn't work in this league it won't there.

He needs to practice that throw his delivery was very poor today,although with the right pace on it straight at their guys ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012