Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:49:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: main and robinson  (Read 5499 times)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
main and robinson
« on January 20, 2015, 11:06:52 pm by watto-drfc »
Send them both out on loan and get a striker in from one of Dickov's contacts

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
Re: main and robinson
« Reply #1 on January 20, 2015, 11:08:02 pm by BobG »
Oh God..... Another one.

BobG

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 20, 2015, 11:09:12 pm by watto-drfc »
Another what????

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 20, 2015, 11:11:39 pm by swintonrover »
Another thread of you spouting negative b*llocks. Even though (on this point only) I agree we need a striker. Try to keep it to one thread next time lad. Cheers.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 20, 2015, 11:20:00 pm by belton rover »
Oh God..... Another one.

BobG

Bob. I don't think even God commands more than three dots for ellipsis. Let's keep things grammatically correct.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 20, 2015, 11:34:11 pm by bobjimwilly »
Starting 5 new whinging threads in an hour has got to be some sort of record?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 20, 2015, 11:37:47 pm by DRNaith »
I know Robinson didn't score tonight but he played excellently.

Even got in on the defending side of things on occasion.

As for Main though, yeah, maybe it's a confidence thing and needs more game time, I'm not sure we can give him that place in the starting eleven.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 21, 2015, 12:17:18 am by IDM »
Main had 4 shots - all were on target, and all were blocked by their desperate defending.  I can't see what folks have got to moan about Main tonight!

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 21, 2015, 06:53:28 am by LincsRover »
Because for 2 games in a row Main has had 5 or 6 chances to score and has either missed the target or, as you've reminded us in least 6 responses on different threads, get it on target, but with the venom of a small fruit fly!

I understand that at our level he can be forgiven for missing a few chances, but all of them? I know last gasp defending/good goalkeeping may be responsible, lack of confidence etc.... But surely at least one of them should go in? Not good enough when you're paid to score goals.

Of course, he may get a hat trick in the next game (we all hope!), and all will be forgiven, but all these misses could come back and bite us on the arse at the end of the season - points dropped tonight and how many more games?

:rolleyes:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 21, 2015, 07:54:35 am by Metalmicky »
Because for 2 games in a row Main has had 5 or 6 chances to score and has either missed the target or, as you've reminded us in least 6 responses on different threads, get it on target, but with the venom of a small fruit fly!

I understand that at our level he can be forgiven for missing a few chances, but all of them? I know last gasp defending/good goalkeeping may be responsible, lack of confidence etc.... But surely at least one of them should go in? Not good enough when you're paid to score goals.

Of course, he may get a hat trick in the next game (we all hope!), and all will be forgiven, but all these misses could come back and bite us on the arse at the end of the season - points dropped tonight and how many more games?

:rolleyes:

I agree that Main should have scored at least 1 last night; however, we should also praise him for finding the space or being in the right position to have these chances.  OK, he isn't the finished article, but he's still young and learning and I am prepared to cut him some slack....

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 21, 2015, 07:57:58 am by GazLaz »
Main has never been a finisher. We knew that when we signed him, we can't complain about that now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 21, 2015, 08:05:45 am by IDM »
Yes Lincs I made a big point of my opinions on Main last night, because driving away from the ground I knew what the reaction on here would be.

Yes on Saturday he missed the target, but last night he didn't..  I said after Saturday he needs more game time to generate the chances and to get the confidence boosting goal.

Anyone remember Malcolm MacDonald at Newcastle in the 70's?  What you would call an old fashioned number 9.  Once said something about scoring if he had 6 chances in a game?

As Metalmicky says, Main is getting into the positions we want a striker to get into.  I agree he should be scoring more, but both Barnsley and Notts both threw everything bar the kitchen sink at us in defence.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 21, 2015, 08:15:53 am by RJHeader »
The thing is with all 3 strikers (now Theo has started working harder) they;re all too similar. You cant have 2 of them playing up top together

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 21, 2015, 08:17:26 am by IDM »
I would like to see a Tyson/Main combo given a go?  Take the pressure to score off Theo, and he becomes a better player out wide or attacking from midfield?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 21, 2015, 08:19:20 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think Main can and will come good, we just need to be that bit patient with him.  Masses of potential there though as he gets in some great positions and is getting chances, it's a matter of time before he starts to score regularly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 21, 2015, 08:20:53 am by IDM »
Have a look at what Notts County are saying:

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/greg-abbott-on-doncaster-rovers-v-notts-county-2216596.aspx

..particularly about their defending!

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 21, 2015, 08:39:37 am by firestarter »
Am left wondering just what Shaun Goater is teaching them... So much for his influence!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 21, 2015, 08:42:43 am by DonnyNoel »

http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/greg-abbott-on-doncaster-rovers-v-notts-county-2216596.aspx

For how weak they looked in midfield I thought their centre backs were very good. Both appeared your usual lumbering centre halves but we rarely got the pace of Robinson and Tyson in behind them. Our joy in the second half came from when we started to get it wider and target the full backs.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 21, 2015, 09:04:34 am by Filo »

That bit where abbott said the ref would n't have given a second yellow if he'd realised that it was a second yellow, I can't agree with that, time wasting is time wasting wether you're on one yellow or not

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 21, 2015, 09:06:12 am by IDM »
Excactly Filo, and as their time wasting started from the first minute, I am surprised it took so long to book someone for it.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 21, 2015, 09:25:02 am by drfc1951 »
I thought some of the balls played up to Theo were absolutely dreadful.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 21, 2015, 09:30:32 am by Alan Southstand »
I think Main can and will come good, we just need to be that bit patient with him.  Masses of potential there though as he gets in some great positions and is getting chances, it's a matter of time before he starts to score regularly.

According to a Middlesbrough supporting friend of mine, they levelled exactly the same faults with him as we're seeing with him. If you think he's going to come good, don't hold your breath while waiting!

We have needed a goal scoring forward all season and all we've got are 'workers', which is what PD wants. I think he needs to check the specification for what a 'striker' is supposed to do. We have not got the right tool in the box.......yet? If he continues with what we have then we stay where we are - if he finds someone or even tries one of the youth players, then we may still have a say in the top 6 places. It's that simple.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 21, 2015, 09:40:03 am by DonnyNoel »
I remember the 0-0 with Boro when Main played up front on his own before they brough Danny Graham on. I said to my mate at the time he was easily the least threatening striker we'd faced in a long time, albeit not helped by poor service. It worried me when we signed him.

That said, the goals he scored early in the season gave me hope, not just the number but the quality and variety of them. He has youth on his side and is a willing worker. Sadly, he's started to look lifeless outside the box and he's currently missing/not converting chances - not a good situation for a striker to be in. I can't help but think the chances he had on Saturday and last night should have yielded 2 goals to a decent finisher at this level. Still time for him to come good but given our situation with overall lack of goals I think we at least need to be looking tentatively at the loan market.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 21, 2015, 10:52:15 am by Cramby10 »
I know Robinson didn't score tonight but he played excellently.

Even got in on the defending side of things on occasion.

As for Main though, yeah, maybe it's a confidence thing and needs more game time, I'm not sure we can give him that place in the starting eleven.
i know opinions are like arseholes. We've all got one. And you're entitled to yours but how you've  come to the opinion that Robinson was excellent last night has taken my breath away! In mine, he was beyond absolutely f**king awful! Couldnt control the ball. Totally static movement, meaning our only attacking threat of forrester had nothing to pick out. He neshed out of at least three challenges, two of which could have been goal scoring opportunities. He can't finish when he does get a chance. He passed the ball straight into touch at least twice. And I'm fairly sure he didn't win a single header all night.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 21, 2015, 11:47:14 am by Dare to dream! »
Whats the harm in starting young Mckay? Our first choice options aren't in great form! Give him 90 mins and see what he can do at this level

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 21, 2015, 11:52:28 am by RedRover45 »
Whats the harm in starting young Mckay? Our first choice options aren't in great form! Give him 90 mins and see what he can do at this level

I suggest that the supporters are the main problem. If he has a bad game, a lot will get on his back and it could set him back immeasurably.
 I agree with you though, give him a crack and just tell him to go out there and enjoy it and ignore any negative crowd reaction if it happens.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 21, 2015, 12:43:16 pm by The Red Baron »

I suggest that the supporters are the main problem. If he has a bad game, a lot will get on his back and it could set him back immeasurably.
 I agree with you though, give him a crack and just tell him to go out there and enjoy it and ignore any negative crowd reaction if it happens.

That old one is always wheeled out as a reason for not giving young players a chance. If the crowd sees that he's trying they will get behind him.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 21, 2015, 12:47:04 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

That old one is always wheeled out as a reason for not giving young players a chance. If the crowd sees that he's trying they will get behind him.

They don't with Robinson and Main though....  Their problem isn't effort but a mix of ability, bad luck and poor form.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 21, 2015, 12:49:11 pm by The Red Baron »
I can understand why McKay - and Mandeville for that matter - were not involved. The Youth team have a very big game at Swansea tonight. Normally I would argue that first team football takes precedence over everything but in this case I'd make an exception as they will be up against players from a PL Youth Academy.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 21, 2015, 02:29:24 pm by The Red Baron »
The youth team stayed overnight in South Wales last night so none of them was available for the first team.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012