Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:30:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game  (Read 7694 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« on January 10, 2021, 11:27:59 pm by selby »
   It will be great to be back in League1 action if the game goes ahead, and waiting for us will be our old friend John Sheridan the manager fresh from a great away win at Ipswich Town, an indication of him starting to bring things together down in Swindon, and how dangerous and unpredictable this division can be.
  Two goals from former Norwich winger Diallang Jaiyesimi and one from Scott Twine bringing home the points for them and moved them a point outside the relegation places after their promotion last season.
  I am always wary of any team that Sheridan heads, if given time he moulds them into decent sides that are always very competitive and hard to beat and have given us some hard games in the past.
  The transfer or no transfer of our talisman Ben Whiteman hopefully will be resolved one way or the other early in the week before becoming a boil that needs lancing and a distraction that we can well do without at this juncture of the season, the only comments I will make is I don't want him to go, but even more I want us to get decent  value for a player that we gave the opportunity  to showcase his ability and earn a move to a higher placed club on better terms for himself and his family in what is a short career, if he goes I wish him well although I think he is better than a move to Preston.
  Which brings us to what team we will field? would anyone like to hazard a guess? naming it is now becoming harder than the Times crossword, in what positions players will play even harder, who would bet that before the end of the season Balcombe or Jones don't have a run out on the wing.
 Hopefully some of our walking wounded and Covid casualties will have had time to come back into the reckoning for this game and will give us more balance to the side although the team did perform admirably at Blackburn I feel we got away with one and should let's say put it to bed and not get carried away.
  One thing that is getting to me a little is the in some quarters  criticizing of our two strikers, who to me are defending from the front, working very very hard, and are a physical and dangerous pair to come up against, and yesterday suffered from some very poor final balls into the danger area when well placed, a feature of our game that was poor on the day, when our play off the ball was excellent and our back four and keeper outstanding which won us the game.
  So what do you think?
  Will Ben still be here and play?
  If not, are we likely to have signed a replacement?
  Just what side would you pick if we assume everyone is available?
  If we do sign a replacement assuming Ben goes, would you want a loan or someone more permanent?
  Absolutely lots to discuss about this game, which is taking on a lot of importance for more than one reason, please have your say.     
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:56:17 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Swindon Town game
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2021, 08:00:14 am by Chris Black come back »
They have lost 2/3 of all their games this season and have kept 1 clean sheet in 15 home games.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2021, 08:25:24 am by Alan Southstand »
Some of the questions posed there, Selby, are, quite simply, unanswerable. I defy anyone to come up with explanations about BW or anyone else in the squad. My gut feeling, despite Saturday’s tremendous result, our season just might be going into a slow but sure meltdown, if we’re not careful.

The players that are fit and able are turning in Herculean efforts to keep our season competitive, but I ask for how much longer? The news about Gomes not being ready for first team action (yet) must be absolutely galling to the manager, as he’s been out way too long already. The distraction of BW will not be helping matters (certainly for supporters), despite the manager claiming he only deals with truths and realities and BW is still our player. Well, yes he is, but mentally it must be having some sort of impact on him!

I sincerely hope all our midfield is back together again, but how does anyone answer that right now? The only guy who can truly shed any light on BW’s status is remarkably quiet right now and rightly so if negotiations are still ongoing.

What’s really baffling to me is the mixed messages coming out of the Club:

Get in and around the top 6 and we’ll back you, which was followed later by one out, before one in. Then we get ‘sources from the Club’ which hasn’t happened for many months over any transfer dealings. Just what is going on right now? Are we losing our nerve?

The message should be loud and clear - BW is our captain and leader and is going nowhere. We are in a very strong position and will only get better as this squad gels further. Clear, concise. What we’re getting is hardly that and, quite frankly, it’s not helping the manager, the squad or the supporters.

This is when we should be starting to press the accelerator but it seems someone or something is trying very hard to hold us back.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2021, 08:31:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No matter what happens off the pitch, a win would be a great tonic for everyone as we get back to the bread and butter of the league programme.

Hopefully, we'll see a return of the players affected by the Covid outbreak and Gomes following his extended lay off.

Hopefully a case of normal service is resumed.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2021, 09:21:13 am by steve@dcfd »
Looking at what’s been said in the free press this morning about transfer business we will look to replace Sims if he doesn’t return either with a winger or striker so can’t see that happening this week as the decision on Sims will not have been made. BW scenario is there could be 3/4 Championship clubs in the mix so we will have wait if he goes he will be replaced the free press believe. So for this Saturday as long all others are fit the only question mark is BW.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2021, 10:43:28 am by graingrover »
If this is meltdown I have a vat you can pour the molten gold into please .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2021, 10:50:42 am by Alan Southstand »
Read it again Graing, rather than just idly pulling one word out to suit whatever it is you’re trying to say. Context is everything.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2021, 11:14:04 am by rover-n-out »
I read a piece from Google News where DM said Gomes will not be ready for selection til the end of Jan due to this isolation period stopping his training progress.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2021, 11:18:46 am by the vicar »
They have lost 2/3 of all their games this season and have kept 1 clean sheet in 15 home games.
it might seem like I’m picking on our club but I’m not. We are the club that could change them stats for them, just off a good win there spirits will be high, and we don’t seem to perform too well against the bottom sides , but I hope I’m wrong with my thinking as we need this win along with most of the other games

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 11, 2021, 02:01:03 pm by POD »
I watched the extended highlights of the Ipswich v Swindon game on Quest at the weekend.  I know that it was only highlights but they looked quite impressive in knocking the ball around and making chances.   It will be a tough game - many of the teams at the bottom have changed manager recently and in Swindon’s case it seems to be paying off.   I’m sure that DM will have a plan and I’m expecting a win or at least a draw.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 11, 2021, 02:59:25 pm by selby »
  £37% possession only POD so must have used it when they had it, but is the Ipswich defence as good as ours, I doubt it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 11, 2021, 09:33:55 pm by drfchound »
I watched the extended highlights of the Ipswich v Swindon game on Quest at the weekend.  I know that it was only highlights but they looked quite impressive in knocking the ball around and making chances.   It will be a tough game - many of the teams at the bottom have changed manager recently and in Swindon’s case it seems to be paying off.   I’m sure that DM will have a plan and I’m expecting a win or at least a draw.

TBF, when we played Swindon at home I was quite impressed with the way Swindon played.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2021, 12:21:11 pm by selby »
  As the season progresses every game is taking on more and more importance, especially with the teams around us in the league with the exception of Accrington having the occasional blip while we have not played a league fixture.
  With talk of a break because of Covid and even again the season being curtailed all together the importance of collecting as many points per game is being highlighted.
  This game is the most important of all being the next one, and will not be easy and one if we do win will set us up nicely to be confident for a big challenge in the FA Cup.
  We are in a position where anything can happen this season so should be throwing everything in our power at the next game to be played as it could be the last, hopefully not but who knows, and must try to reach the best position we can possibly be in if it happens.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2021, 12:35:39 pm by i_ateallthepies »
  As the season progresses every game is taking on more and more importance, especially with the teams around us in the league with the exception of Accrington having the occasional blip while we have not played a league fixture.
  With talk of a break because of Covid and even again the season being curtailed all together the importance of collecting as many points per game is being highlighted.
  This game is the most important of all being the next one, and will not be easy and one if we do win will set us up nicely to be confident for a big challenge in the FA Cup.
  We are in a position where anything can happen this season so should be throwing everything in our power at the next game to be played as it could be the last, hopefully not but who knows, and must try to reach the best position we can possibly be in if it happens.

Are you thinking DM doesn't already throw everything in his power at the next game?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2021, 12:43:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

TBF, when we played Swindon at home I was quite impressed with the way Swindon played.

Yes, the teams were very evenly matched, both playing similar good football with the only difference being James' excellent runs into goalscoring positions and applying the finishes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2021, 04:42:37 pm by selby »
  Pies I am sure he does, I was tying to make the point that because of what might happen league fixtures take on more importance, and that the cup game could become a distraction, as has happened to many teams of lot's of clubs in the past, obviously I have not made the point very clear, questioning our clubs intensions was the furthest thing from my mind, but experience of what has happened both to fans and players in the past with the prospect of a very attractive fixture against a top team make me wary of the situation.
  Hopefully that will not be the case, but I like you am confident that our manager will be well aware of the dangers and will be pointing them out.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2021, 05:43:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
If today’s news is correct, we’ll be one very special player down. I don’t think there’s time to get a suitable replacement, so we are weaker than the last time we played them.

Not good preparation for a very hectic run of games.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 13, 2021, 11:09:51 am by selby »
  Alan, we will get over him leaving no matter who they are one man does not make a team, and this season that has been the outstanding feature to me, that like the last team we had that won this division the sum of the parts is greater than the individuals.
  We have a game plan that suits the players at our disposal, we have adaptable players that play in more than one system, we change systems within a game which some teams find difficult, and importantly we have players with attitude and guts, willing to work hard for each other and a manager and staff who know the game inside out and have the respect of the players, and a board of directors with the good of the club at heart.
  Compare that to lots of other sides both in our division and above us, as supporters I think we should be thanking our lucky stars.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2021, 12:28:39 pm by Campsall rover »
  Alan, we will get over him leaving no matter who they are one man does not make a team, and this season that has been the outstanding feature to me, that like the last team we had that won this division the sum of the parts is greater than the individuals.
  We have a game plan that suits the players at our disposal, we have adaptable players that play in more than one system, we change systems within a game which some teams find difficult, and importantly we have players with attitude and guts, willing to work hard for each other and a manager and staff who know the game inside out and have the respect of the players, and a board of directors with the good of the club at heart.
  Compare that to lots of other sides both in our division and above us, as supporters I think we should be thanking our lucky stars.
Great post Brian.
Every time one of our best players leave it creates a negative vibe, that’s natural.

But the Club moves on. We are never a one player team and no one is irreplaceable.
Look at this season for example, most thought it was impossible to be successful without Copps but he has had very few starts this season and we are 4th in the league with games in hand.
I think I would probably be right if I said we would be top 2 on PPG if the season ended now.

So let’s wish Ben all the best for his future career at Preston and wherever else he ends up in the future.
We move on and I am quite certain we can compensate for his absence. We have a very versatile & adaptable squad and DM will have plans in place.

It’s also money in the bank which should ensure the financial stability the club needs right now.
Don’t forget the Board don’t know yet how much they are going to have to repay to all those season ticket holders who will be asking for refunds. There is inevitably going to be many due to Covid which has created Job losses and reduction in incomes who will require refunds.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2021, 05:22:04 pm by Janso »
What gets me is people want us to follow the "Barnsley model", but don't want us to ever sell any of our best players. Is that not pretty much what Barnsley did?...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2021, 06:55:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
They drive a hard bargain at Barnsley. Very tough operators. Count your fingers after you shake hands with anyone from Barnsley, guarantee they will have more than you.

International Robin

« Reply #21 on January 14, 2021, 01:36:19 am by International Robin »
Swindon fan coming in peace, wanting to hear your thoughts ahead of the big game this weekend!

We’ve had a tough season so far with a lengthy injury list for the majority of the season, ol’ Ritchie Wellens throwing in the towel to be friends with the Class of 92 compounded by 2 players leaving by mutual consent (Michael Doughty right at the start of the season that left us with 2 CMs until the last few weeks and our only fit LB, Dion Donohue, a couple of weeks back) and poor performing players with not enough fit players to rotate in this intense fixture rich season!

However, the Ipswich game felt like we’re just starting to turn the corner and start performing to some of the ability we’ve seen flashes of this season. From beating Hull at home, dominated Peterborough until our best performing CB got injured, beating local rivals Oxford (which was a poor game but first time in 20 years beating them!) and Bristol Rovers being some of the highlights of our season.

We’ve shipped out a few of the main culprits for the teams underperformance, sending Kovar back to Man Utd, Jordan Stevens back to Leeds and got our better CB’s back from injury whilst Baudry and Grounds sit out.

Since then, we’ve brought in a GK from Bournemouth, Travers, and a left back that is easily Championship standard from Brentford, Thompson. Hoping to sign 2 strikers before the weekend too, although that looks unlikely - who knows we could get a surprise..

Personally, I’m looking forward to the game of Saturday. Most teams tend to look at the league table and presume we’re deadwood but without trying to be too bias here, if we turn up - we’ll give you a damn good game. We like surprising those at the top this season, especially at home!

Players to watch out for on our side..

Thompson at left back, got 3 assists against Ipswich. Killer crossing ability too
M. Smith - on loan from Arsenal and impressed this season. Sprays the ball around and breaks up play
Jaiyesimi - signed for us from Norwich this season after impressing on loan last year. Cracking player and deffo one to watch for the future. Linked up really well on that left hand side against Ipswich with Thompson. Certainly a threatening area
Scott Twine - topped the assist charts in League Two having earned 7 assists and 6 goals on loan at Newport before returning for his first game back against Ipswich. If you haven’t seen his goal yet. Go watch - if it was Ronaldinho scoring that, everyone would be raving and he’s scored a few of those this season for Newport too!

How are you boys shaping up for the game?
Sorry to hear about Ben Whitehead but the fee sounds decent at least?
Thoughts/ predictions on the game?
Who should we be looking out for?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2021, 09:21:08 am by drfchound »
Swindon gave a good account of themselves in our game against you recently.
I was quite impressed with the way you played and was very impressed with Jaiyesimi.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2021, 10:49:12 am by selby »
  IR, great of you to join the discussion you are more than welcome  to get stuck into us.  The last thing any of us up here are thinking about is an easy game against you, we are one of those clubs that don't do easy, or underestimate our opponents.
  The teams we have played this season that came up with you have managed to cause us trouble in their games with us and I don't see us strolling it this week by any means, but live in hope of getting a good result.
  As Hound says Jaiyesimi  looked a very good player in our earlier game this season, and Baudry had a good game on his return here.
  Who to look out for, well now Whiteman seems as though he has gone our outstanding things to look out for are our all round work ethic especially when we don't have the ball, and unlike most teams who you always look for a playmaker or striker, I would put forward our defence with the central defenders all three  having outstanding seasons, and flanked by three players who play the wide defender rolls but are just as likely to be ending an attack in the oppositions area.
  The players up front have lots of individual skill, but can be a bit inconsistent as Richards showed in last weeks game, giving the ball away with silly passes and on a couple of occasions opening up their defence with great passes and runs through the line, and scoring a great goal with a 40 yard run down the middle of the field. But all work hard to retrieve the ball if they lose it.
  We are expecting a hard tight game, with little between the two sides, are hoping we may have an addition or even two to add to the squad and a good game to watch.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2021, 01:45:49 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Disheartened but not surprised to see Baudry out. Class on grass but its a shame he's made out of glass.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2021, 06:47:30 pm by scawsby steve »
Heavy rain tipped all day on Saturday. We can't afford yet another postponement.

International Robin

« Reply #26 on January 14, 2021, 07:47:43 pm by International Robin »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Baudry is an interesting player. On his day, he's a great defender but when his confidence is shot, he can't stop making mistakes and cost us at least 6-9 points alone so far this season.

Our groundsman are pretty good and I can't remember a game where we called it off for a waterlogged pitch so I'd be surprised if we did call it off!

From the sounds of it, it might be a game of the ages if we're both on form!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 15, 2021, 03:09:37 pm by steve@dcfd »
So with a game on Saturday we will have seventeen fit players plus I assume Ravenhill to make the eighteenth. The eleven that play should give Swindon a good game not sure of the result but I am expecting us to win. Maybe I am being over optimistic.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 16, 2021, 11:13:59 am by selby »
   There is no doubt that the main interest in this game is the absence of Ben Whiteman, and the worst thing about it is it seems as though half the posters on here are waiting for a defeat just to say I told you so.
  It is a little sad that some think that we are a one man band side, which I think we are not anything of the sort. It could be far worse Ben could have picked up a season ending injury and we would have been left with a team without him and no money in the bank to see us through what is going to become a big financial problem for lots of clubs, the bigger clubs at our level will suffer the worst as well with no more income if as much as us and the smaller clubs and a lot more dosh going out of the door each week/month and no end in sight this season.
  My main worry about the game is once again we are coming up against a side that looks to be turning a corner form wise, getting players back from injury and also strengthening early in the window signing three players a sign that Sheridan knows exactly what he needs to improve the side.
  I am hoping for a good result, and more importantly a good performance, one that can pacify the doubters a little, and increase their trust in the players we have left.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 16, 2021, 11:25:08 am by steve@dcfd »
It’s not a one man band is it, missing from the squad are Whiteman, Sims, Coppinger and Gomes if available or fit all would be in today’s squad, today would have been Sims last game. I see that Horton is back at the club from his loan so could he be in the squad or just a back up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012