Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:50:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: BBC salaries  (Read 1612 times)

albie

• Forum Member
BBC salaries
« on July 08, 2021, 02:32:13 pm by albie »
Not bad pay for reading an autocue at the BBC.

I suppose you need daddy to know someone to get a foot in the door.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: BBC salaries
« Reply #1 on July 08, 2021, 07:46:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Could you do it and look as professional as them with someone talking in your ear all the time?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 08, 2021, 07:55:29 pm by River Don »
I suspect most of them could move to commercial TV and earn as much if not more.

I don't think it would be such a bad thing if they were allowed to do that, then the BBC could focus on developing new talent.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 08, 2021, 09:07:36 pm by albie »
Could you do it and look as professional as them with someone talking in your ear all the time?

Yes Glyn, I think I could do it easily.
Whether you would want to do it is another question.

The level of salaries at the BBC is an issue because it is supposedly a public service broadcaster.
As such, wages should be in keeping with broadly equivalent roles in other public sector organisations.

That people could move to a private sector role is not relevant to me, much more what is a job like this worth in terms of the public realm?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 08, 2021, 09:11:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But it still has to compete. Fail to compete and as had been said these guys are moving elsewhere.  Exactly why some won't touch the BBC.  I find it wrong that people's salaries are publicly stated, would anyone like that?  It doesn't bother me but would the vast majority of people.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 09, 2021, 01:01:00 am by SydneyRover »

Yes Glyn, I think I could do it easily.
Whether you would want to do it is another question.

The level of salaries at the BBC is an issue because it is supposedly a public service broadcaster.
As such, wages should be in keeping with broadly equivalent roles in other public sector organisations.

That people could move to a private sector role is not relevant to me, much more what is a job like this worth in terms of the public realm?

Could you Albie?

''Early life and education
Edwards was born in Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales, into a Welsh-speaking family, and, from the age of four, was brought up in Llangennech, near Llanelli. His father, Hywel Teifi Edwards, was a Plaid Cymru and Welsh Language activist,[3] and an author and academic, who was Research Professor of Welsh-language Literature at University College, Swansea.[4] Edwards' mother, Aerona Protheroe, taught at Llanelli's Ysgol Gyfun y Strade for 30 years. He has one sister, Meinir. He was educated at Llanelli Boys' Grammar School[5] and graduated with a first-class honours degree in French from University College, Cardiff, in 1983.[6] After his first degree, he started postgraduate work at Cardiff University in Medieval French, before becoming a reporter for local radio station Swansea Sound and then joining the BBC.[7]''

Nothing to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huw_Edwards

Fiona Bruce

VEarly life and education
Bruce was born in Singapore,[2] to an English mother and a Scottish father, who had worked his way up from being a postboy to become regional managing director of Unilever.[3][4] Before that, the Bruce family had lived for several generations in the fishing village of Hopeman.[5] Bruce has two elder brothers and was educated at Gayton Primary School in Wirral, the International School of Milan, and then from the age of 14 until 18 attended Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College in New Cross, London. During the latter period she modelled for the stories in the teenage girls' magazine Jackie.[6]

Bruce read French and Italian at Hertford College, Oxford. During this period, she was briefly a punk, singing in rock bands and, at one point, colouring her hair blue for one week.[6] She attended the University of London Institute in Paris.[7]

etc ................
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:03:40 am by SydneyRover »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 09, 2021, 08:47:31 am by River Don »
I'm not sure I've ever heard Huw Edwards read the news in medieval French...

Really those impressive CVs just allow these individuals to get ahead of the competition and claim these roles. Honestly though, any kid who's gone to drama school should be able to make a good job of delivering the news to camera.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 09, 2021, 08:55:32 am by SydneyRover »
this is a debate that's been had before and will no doubt feature again RD

''Could you read the news?''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4617133.stm

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 09, 2021, 09:25:39 am by River Don »
I suppose there is more to the main news anchor roles, often they have to conduct short interviews, so a journalistic background would be good.

If you ever watch the 24hr news channels, there are actually some pretty flat poor news readers around. I suspect drama, isn't even seen as an important requirement to be a newsreader. It's a bit odd if you think about it, speaking in an expressive, engaging manner ought to be a core skill.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 09, 2021, 09:35:22 am by SydneyRover »
I'm just a bit protective of the national broadcaster RD and will always defend it's existence as it's obvious there are forces that want it gone and the spoils carved up.

Not sure about yourself or anyone for that matter being in front of an audience and keeping their attention is not an easy task.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 09, 2021, 09:48:10 am by River Don »
I'm a big supporter of the Beeb too and Channel 4 remaining in its current form.

I think this is an interesting question though, why do newsreaders command such high salaries?

Gary Linekar is now a great performer on camera, he had to work at improving his delivery it took a couple of years but then he was away. His main qualification for speaking to camera was finding space in the 6 yard box!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 09, 2021, 09:59:16 am by SydneyRover »
I suppose it's their on-screen persona and trust built up over the years, we've all seen how trust is lost when some politicians get in front of the camera. Part of the reason of course is competition, how much the commercial media would pay them.

https://www.speakerscorner.co.uk/speaker/huw-edwards

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 09, 2021, 10:04:47 am by River Don »
I guess the commercial rates have more to do with recognition, trust and celebrity.

Qualities you can't train for. That's just gained from widespread TV exposure.

Which is why I don't think it would be such a bad idea to let them go for the higher salaries and continually  develop younger talent.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 09, 2021, 11:37:08 am by albie »
Sydney,

I am not sure you are getting my point.

The personal CV's that you set out speak of privilege, not so much about ability.
People are employed by the BBC on the basis of connections.

Now I am not saying these people are no good, but I do think that others from different backgrounds could be as good, or better, given the chance.

So why should a public broadcaster not recruit from all sections of society people qualified to do the job?
It should not be a safe haven for those with a silver spoon!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 09, 2021, 12:11:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I'm a big supporter of the Beeb too and Channel 4 remaining in its current form.

I think this is an interesting question though, why do newsreaders command such high salaries?

Gary Linekar is now a great performer on camera, he had to work at improving his delivery it took a couple of years but then he was away. His main qualification for speaking to camera was finding space in the 6 yard box!

He did his apprenticeship on Radio 5 for years before he started presenting to camera. And he was terrible to start with, he's had to iron out his Leicester accent a hell of a lot from what it was when he started. He had to learn how to do it, just like everybody else has to. Not everybody can do it.

PS Don't forget all the years he did on They Think It's All Over as basically a second banana as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:16:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 09, 2021, 12:12:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sydney,

The personal CV's that you set out speak of privilege, not so much about ability.

Now I am not saying these people are no good, but I do think that others from different backgrounds could be as good, or better, given the chance.

So why should a public broadcaster not recruit from all sections of society people qualified to do the job?

What silver spoon did Lineker have? Or Edwards, or Bruce?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 09, 2021, 12:20:50 pm by SydneyRover »
Sydney,

I agree that the bbc should hire from all walks of life but those two cvs don't exactly scream privilege to me.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 09, 2021, 12:22:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Sydney,

I agree that the bbc should hire from all walks of life but those two cvs don't exactly scream privilege to me.

Me neither. They scream people who've worked hard to get where they are.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 09, 2021, 12:53:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I have to take my hat off to Fiona Bruce. She earns every penny. She has the ability to "both sides" a debate on any topic you care to mention. It takes a real skill to be able to keep a straight face while you turn to a panellist and say "But surely you need to accept that opinions on the shape of the earth do differ?"

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 09, 2021, 01:16:44 pm by Axholme Lion »
Why can't we have the news read by a robot and save a few bob? If they're good enough to put warehouse workers out of work why not make a start on the rich kids?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 10, 2021, 01:11:45 pm by SydneyRover »
Why can't we have the news read by a robot and save a few bob? If they're good enough to put warehouse workers out of work why not make a start on the rich kids?

''Labour demand resignation of No 10 ally accused of trying to block BBC appointment
Angela Rayner says move by BBC board member Robbie Gibb shows ‘Tory cronyism’ at heart of corporation''

It would have to be a robot that only tells good stories about the government apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/10/labour-demand-resignation-of-no-10-ally-accused-of-trying-to-block-bbc-appointment

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 10, 2021, 02:01:18 pm by albie »
That is getting to the point, Sydney.

Why are people in media organisations like the BBC paid these salaries?
What is their purpose in that role?

Best explanation is set out in this Andrew Marr interview clip with US academic Noam Chomsky from a few years ago;
https://youtu.be/lLcpcytUnWU

The last line from Chomsky is an absolute killer.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 10, 2021, 11:14:15 pm by SydneyRover »
Having strong well credentialed, experienced people helps the bbc resist political interference from all politicians.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2021, 12:07:56 am by albie »
Having strong well credentialed, experienced people helps the bbc resist political interference from all politicians.

The purpose of the BBC is political, and has been for many years.

That is why the recruitment policy should come under close scrutiny.
Key appointments at the BBC are under political control, and those working underneath them are aware of the informal expectations within the system.

This is what Chomsky is talking about when politely handing Andrew Marr has arse on a plate!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 11, 2021, 08:56:33 am by normal rules »
They’re good value compared to the likes of lineker and shearer.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 12, 2021, 05:14:23 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Not bad pay for reading an autocue at the BBC.

I suppose you need daddy to know someone to get a foot in the door.

when did this list come out ? because i heard about this below a long while ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Alagiah

In June 2020 Alagiah said that the cancer had spread to his lungs, liver and lymph nodes, but was not at a "chronic" or "terminal" stage.[22]
 i would expected him to have taken early redundancy ??
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 05:16:58 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 13, 2021, 11:53:06 am by Axholme Lion »

Britain
Bashing
Corporation

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 14, 2021, 12:24:24 pm by Campsall rover »
That’s a serious comment is it? Please don’t say yes it is.  :zzz:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 14, 2021, 02:34:30 pm by bobjimwilly »
Britain
Bashing
Corporation

1000 IQ right there

TinyPortal © 2005-2012