Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:16:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who would you prefer?

Boris Johnson
10 (23.3%)
Rory Stewart
17 (39.5%)
Esther McVey
4 (9.3%)
Jeremy Hunt
1 (2.3%)
Dominic Raab
1 (2.3%)
Sajid Javid
1 (2.3%)
Andrea Leadsom
1 (2.3%)
Michael Gove
4 (9.3%)
Matt Hancock
2 (4.7%)
Mark Harper
0 (0%)
Sam Gyimah
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: June 23, 2019, 08:05:05 am

Author Topic: Tory Leader - Who's your preference?  (Read 30127 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Tory Leader - Who's your preference?
« Reply #90 on June 13, 2019, 09:28:00 pm by drfchound »
Hound. Yeah. But it has to be really.

The problem has been too many candidates making it drawn out. They could easily have made it that someone wanting to stand has to have a certain number of sponsors to make it on to the ballot paper in the first place. Only needing two names has led to the bloated field and extended whittling down that has to be done.

Agreed, which I why I thought it was unfair of Sydney to have a go at the Tory method of voting for a new leader when all parties (I would imagine) have a long drawn out system.
I have no political allegiance by the way before anyone has a go at me.

But wouldn’t that mean that they had to change their rules before they could commence their voting.
Even more delays?

They can do that any time, they don't have to do it just when there's a leadership election. The real point is, of course, that they should never have changed the rules to what they are now in the first place.

Maybe, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Not in a party wanting to run a country. That needs foresight.

Again, out of interest, when did they adopt their current leadership election rules.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on June 13, 2019, 09:34:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Not sure, but it's till the same as when Cameron won in 2005.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on June 13, 2019, 10:21:29 pm by SydneyRover »
Hound. Yeah. But it has to be really.

Agreed, which I why I thought it was unfair of Sydney to have a go at the Tory method of voting for a new leader when all parties (I would imagine) have a long drawn out system.
I have no political allegiance by the way before anyone has a go at me.

Correction just in case It's not clear from my scrawlings DH, I don't give a rats about the conservative selection method it's the candidates, the party and their ideology, just as they don't give a rats about anyone but themselves and their party and their money, but if they do they hide it extremely well.

Election procedure

The principles of the procedure for selecting the leader of the Conservative Party are laid down the Conservative Party Constitution, while the detailed rules are agreed by the 1922 Committee executive in consultation with the Conservative Party Board.[66] Nominations for the leadership are invited by the Chairman of the 1922 Committee, acting as returning officer. When nominations close, a list of valid nominations is published. If there is only one valid nomination, that person is elected. If two valid nominations are received, both names go forward to the party membership.

If more than two nominations are received, a ballot is held within the Parliamentary party. An exhaustive ballot system is used to select two candidates to go forward to the party membership. The 1922 Committee executive considered changing the rules so that four candidates go to the ballot of the party membership.[67] They also recommended increasing the number of MP nominations required to eight.[68] On 4 June the rule change was accepted by the party board, with candidates requiring the support of eight MPs to be nominated, then the support of at least 5% of the Parliamentary Conservative Party in the first ballot, and 10% in the second ballot in order to proceed further. In 2019 this equated to the support of sixteen MPs in the first ballot and thirty-two in the second.[69][68]. In the second and subsequent ballots, all candidates receiving below 10% of the Parliamentary Conservative Party (currently 33 votes) are eliminated. If three or more candidates clear this threshold, the candidate receiving fewest votes is also eliminated. If three or more candidates still remain even after this elimination, a further ballot is held using the same rules.[69]. This process is repeated until only two candidates remain.

Nominations opened on 7 June and closed on 10 June. The first ballot will be held on 13 June, with subsequent ballots held on 18, 19 and 20 June. The first membership hustings is scheduled for 22 June and the ballot of the membership will take place over the following month, with the winner announced in the week beginning 22 July.[70]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Conservative_Party_(UK)_leadership_election
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:30:31 pm by SydneyRover »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 14, 2019, 09:51:23 am by GazLaz »
Rory Stewart seems ok on the face of it, but so did Blair in the 90s I suppose.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on June 14, 2019, 04:54:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The big difference between Stewart and the rest is that he seems to be the only one who recognises that Brexit can't be solved by promising the moon on a stick just to get elected leader.

However, his drawback is that because he knows what the others are promising is completely unrealistic, he hasn't got a solution of his own and would just persevere with putting May's deal before Parliament again, his argument being that the party should unite behind a new leader and vote it though next time...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on June 14, 2019, 05:00:02 pm by drfchound »
Unless Boris does make us leave without a deal it will be interesting to see how he goes on about getting one sorted.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 14, 2019, 05:08:17 pm by scawsby steve »
We all know who it's going to be. On that basis, we can conclude that the circus is well and truly coming to town, and we've all got ringside seats.

Just think of Johnson v Corbyn at PMQs every Wednesday. Comedy gold drama at it's very best.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on June 14, 2019, 05:16:12 pm by roversdude »
Will he actually answer questions?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 14, 2019, 05:17:37 pm by drfchound »
Will he actually answer questions?

Do any politicians.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on June 14, 2019, 05:46:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yes. Of course they do.

Do they have to duck and dive because we, the electorate, are not prepared to cut slack? Yes. Of course they do.

All of that is a totally different thing from simply refusing to put yourself in a situation where people can even ask you questions. Which is what Johnson has done.

Look at the big kerfuffle about the candidates have done drugs. Johnson is on record as having said that he used to smoke dope. But because he refused to be interviewed last week, that never came into the agenda. Instead it was the other candidates who got it in the neck. For being honest.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on June 14, 2019, 06:21:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Johnson is miles ahead in the lead for PM. At this moment in time, he has nothing to gain and everything to lose by answering unnecessary questions that would most definitely be designed to topple his popularity.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on June 14, 2019, 06:40:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Welcome back BB.

And yes. Of course that is his strategy. Question is, is it appropriate for the person who will be PM to hide from questioning about his suitability to be PM?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on June 14, 2019, 06:57:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If the questions are in courtroom trial conditions then yes, his decision to resist questioning is appropriate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on June 14, 2019, 07:47:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yeah. Welcome back BB.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on June 14, 2019, 07:53:59 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Cheers BST. I thought my time here was done, but truth and integrity were badly lacking in my absence.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 15, 2019, 07:56:58 am by tommy toes »
Johnson stance reminds me of Peter Cook lampooning the Jeremy Thorpe trial.
It went something like...
' Draw no conclusions from Mr Trope excercising his inalienable right not to go into the witness box to answer a lot of impertinent questions.'
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:00:35 pm by tommy toes »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on June 15, 2019, 08:38:45 am by wilts rover »
Nice (if long) read on Johnson here: Britain is about to find out what nothing means.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/06/24/the-empty-promise-of-boris-johnson

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on June 15, 2019, 08:49:19 am by wilts rover »

The more I see of Stewart the less I like him - or to be more accurate, he comes across as a bit different but when you look more closely at what he actually does he is just a typical Tory. Rather than Blair he is Johnson 10 years ago, that bloke who seemed a bit quirky when he was on the telly.

Last week he said he would do anything to stop Brexit - apart from vote against it.
Last week he said he would never serve under Johnson - yesterday he said he would be delighted to if asked.
He was one of the main spokesmen for May's deal - and so desperate was he to get it passed he made up stats about how much public support it had during a live radio interview.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on June 15, 2019, 09:42:20 am by SydneyRover »
Thanks Wilts, if the long suffering British public suffer this moron as pm then one could say they deserve him but no one deserves this arse wipe.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 15, 2019, 10:11:49 am by roversdude »
Rory Stewart looks like he’s playing dress up with his dads clothes - you’d think a person with his social standing would have least have things that fit him, unless he’s been ill, or putting things up his nose, or out running with Gove (who looked a total plank out jogging)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on June 15, 2019, 12:03:52 pm by SydneyRover »
It's tragically funny that brexiteers are unable to produce anything good to say about what the future will be, when you look into Johnson's existence it's the same about his past.

''Boris Johnson did nothing to protect “the most important biodiversity hotspot on the planet,” while foreign secretary, according to the United Nations patron for the oceans.

Lewis Pugh, who in his role raises awareness about the state of the world’s oceans, has worked with three of the rivals in the Tory leadership race – Michael Gove as environment secretary and both Jeremy Hunt and Boris Johnson as foreign secretaries – but highlighted Johnson’s lack of action''

“Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get Boris to protect Georgia and the Sandwich Islands. Just one signature and he could have created a protected area over a million square kilometres, but he didn’t do it,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/15/boris-johnson-failed-to-protect-biodiversity-hotspot-says-un-ex

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on June 15, 2019, 05:18:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think you'll find it's remainers that are unable to produce anything good to say about what the future will be, and point blank refuse to listen to anybody that has.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on June 15, 2019, 07:31:22 pm by scawsby steve »
I think you'll find it's remainers that are unable to produce anything good to say about what the future will be, and point blank refuse to listen to anybody that has.

Good to see you back buddy; I've been fighting a lone battle on here in your absence. However, good news to report; the Remainers have had a terrible week; Chuka Umunna, Jo Brand, Johnson almost certain to be PM, and a Parliamentary vote that looked certain to win, and got dicked.

Happy days. Welcome back.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on June 15, 2019, 08:18:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Cheers comrade! I'd given up on finding a common ground of common sense and was sick to death of being presented with link after link of one-sided Guardian 'gospel' gash. Despite that, I'm back with you to fight against Britain Surrendering Together in true British Bulldog style.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on June 15, 2019, 09:13:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
f**k me, when does the season start? Im fed up of this back-slapping, self-reinforcing clique.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on June 15, 2019, 10:11:44 pm by StocktonRover »
f**k me, when does the season start? Im fed up of this back-slapping, self-reinforcing clique.
Well stop doing it then.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on June 15, 2019, 10:21:35 pm by wilts rover »
Welcome back BB. In your honour here is a link to a Huffington Post article that reports activists are set to make Britain ungovernable if Boris attempts a No Deal as PM.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/activists-threaten-wildcat-strikes-if-boris-johnson-commits-no-deal-brexit-as-pm_uk_5d039edfe4b0dc17ef08614f

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on June 15, 2019, 10:37:13 pm by RedRover45 »
Is it just me that thinks Rory Stewart looks just like a jockey ?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on June 15, 2019, 10:39:32 pm by bpoolrover »
Welcome back BB. In your honour here is a link to a Huffington Post article that reports activists are set to make Britain ungovernable if Boris attempts a No Deal as PM.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/activists-threaten-wildcat-strikes-if-boris-johnson-commits-no-deal-brexit-as-pm_uk_5d039edfe4b0dc17ef08614f
do you think that’s a good idea or not wilts?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on June 15, 2019, 10:47:38 pm by SydneyRover »

Good to see you back buddy; I've been fighting a lone battle on here in your absence. However, good news to report; the Remainers have had a terrible week; Chuka Umunna, Jo Brand, Johnson almost certain to be PM, and a Parliamentary vote that looked certain to win, and got dicked.

Happy days. Welcome back.
Steve I think a debate is where both sides support their ideas and ''holding the fort'' implies that you that you have been bringing your ideas to the table.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012