Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:46:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 83820 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #450 on July 02, 2018, 08:40:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
SS

I was devastated that Paul Wilson from that side failed a fitness assessment with us. I’m sure he would have scored a bagful for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #451 on July 02, 2018, 09:17:22 am by IDM »
As much as I hate to say it, at the moment my money would be on France..  I honestly thought they backed off somewhat on Saturday when 4-2 up, had they carried on as they were it could have been 6..

England are going to have to be at their attacking best and score a few, as I think we are a bit ponderous at the back..

Mind you, I pulled out Brazil in the office sweepstake!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:35:07 pm by IDM »

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #452 on July 02, 2018, 11:26:10 am by Colemans Left Hook »
As much as I hate to say it, at the moment my money would be on France..  I honestly thought they backed off somewhat on Saturday when 4-2 up, had they carried on as they wee it could have been 6..

England are going to have to be at their attacking best and score a few, as I think we are a bit ponderous at the back..

Mind you, I pulled out Brazil in the office sweepstake!

yes mbappe who came to my attention when he scored in both legs of the Man city defeat the other season unselfishly tried to give greezeman a goal by an attempted pass instead of shooting

Frances right fullback was terrible against mighty Australia the commentators with short memories really slagged him off then he does a jekl and hyde job. Pogba needs to get away from Man U he's an arm around the shoulder job - the manager is ruining him like so many players -

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #453 on July 02, 2018, 07:13:46 pm by NickDRFC »
Will be interesting to see how tonight goes...here’s what you could have won.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #454 on July 02, 2018, 07:17:55 pm by Filo »
Martin O Neils comment regarding Neymars pain threshold was pretty funny

" I would n't like to see him leaving the Doctors after his Flu jab"

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #455 on July 02, 2018, 08:06:00 pm by RedJ »
Scenes.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #456 on July 02, 2018, 08:11:11 pm by drfchound »
Well, I don’t think any of us could have been expecting this, 2-0 to Japan.
Another shock coming?
Hope so.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #457 on July 02, 2018, 08:13:22 pm by Filo »
I know this is the other side of the draw, but I keep saying this, England will never have a better chance of winning the World Cup

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #458 on July 02, 2018, 08:29:15 pm by RedJ »
Got a feeling they'll find a way now. But you never know. I thought Spain, and Germany, would manage to find a way...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #459 on July 02, 2018, 08:32:04 pm by RedJ »
Yep. Shat it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #460 on July 02, 2018, 08:53:57 pm by drfchound »
I feel for the Japs.
They didn’t deserve that.
Credit to Belgium though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #461 on July 02, 2018, 09:00:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Football eh? f**king hell.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #462 on July 02, 2018, 09:03:37 pm by Boomstick »
Klinsman talks out of his arse

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #463 on July 02, 2018, 09:03:50 pm by drfchound »
That’s why we love it BST.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #464 on July 02, 2018, 09:15:56 pm by turnbull for england »
Good honest game too, it can be done neymar

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #465 on July 02, 2018, 09:34:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
f**king bedlam in Brussels tonight.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #466 on July 02, 2018, 10:11:42 pm by bedale rover »
Question
Is VAR meaning that we are getting better games as there is less chance of getting away with any shenanigans?

Colleague says that people were "shenanigating" in the streets that should definitely be a word!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #467 on July 02, 2018, 10:46:40 pm by RedJ »
I'd say so.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #468 on July 02, 2018, 10:49:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
You need luck to get to the final and Belgium certainly had their share with that first goal!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #469 on July 03, 2018, 12:25:44 am by PDX_Rover »
I think we will step up a gear tomorrow and win.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #470 on July 03, 2018, 03:26:05 am by scawsby steve »
SS

I was devastated that Paul Wilson from that side failed a fitness assessment with us. I’m sure he would have scored a bagful for us.

That goal he scored at Hartlepool to knock them out of the FA Cup was sublime.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #471 on July 03, 2018, 10:11:13 am by MachoMadness »
I really don't know how Neymar wasn't carded for that display yesterday. The referee was right there. Embarrassing for the whole game that this stuff goes on on this stage.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #472 on July 03, 2018, 10:16:20 am by Bollinger »
I really don't know how Neymar wasn't carded for that display yesterday. The referee was right there. Embarrassing for the whole game that this stuff goes on on this stage.

It was pathetic. Funny how the great players seem to fall into two distinct groups. There are those like Pele, Cruyff, Puskas etc who carried themselves with dignity and shaped the game and those like Maradonna, Ronaldo and Neymar who are complete and utter cock-ends.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #473 on July 03, 2018, 10:21:51 am by MachoMadness »

It was pathetic. Funny how the great players seem to fall into two distinct groups. There are those like Pele, Cruyff, Puskas etc who carried themselves with dignity and shaped the game and those like Maradonna, Ronaldo and Neymar who are complete and utter cock-ends.
It's really disappointing because by and large he played very well yesterday. His run, lay-off and continued run for the first goal was quality. Absolutely no need for it. I hope some retroactive punishment is applied but I doubt it will be.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #474 on July 03, 2018, 10:26:18 am by Colemans Left Hook »

for the simple reason if he got another yellow - he would miss the match against belgium .. Revenue (aka money)  my boy

same reason as VAR didn't give the blatant pen against Russia in the Spain match - Russia are the hosts I believe ???

by the way anyone think the Belgian 2nd team might have beaten Japan more easily

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #475 on July 03, 2018, 10:32:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »

It’s changed as the game has become more intense and the rewards and expectations greater.

We may SAY that we want great players to be fair and honest but we actually want winners. Just ask yourself how often you turn a blind eye to cheating by players on your own side.

Maradona was a cheating Argie for that handball in 86.

Michael Owen was a brave Englishman when he went down for a penalty under negligible contact in 98.

Unless you condemn EVERY cheat, the inevitable endgame is Rivaldo and Neymar’s simulation,  or even better, this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zdmslupV4

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #476 on July 03, 2018, 10:46:10 am by Bollinger »

It’s changed as the game has become more intense and the rewards and expectations greater.

We may SAY that we want great players to be fair and honest but we actually want winners. Just ask yourself how often you turn a blind eye to cheating by players on your own side.

Maradona was a cheating Argie for that handball in 86.

Michael Owen was a brave Englishman when he went down for a penalty under negligible contact in 98.

Unless you condemn EVERY cheat, the inevitable endgame is Rivaldo and Neymar’s simulation,  or even better, this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zdmslupV4

Well, I was aware that my little list of dignified greats was drawn from a different era and that has to be significant, so I take your point.  But as someone pointed out the Belgium v Japan game was full-blooded and fair and proved it can be done without the histrionics.

It's always been there but not as extreme as it is now, but I remember Les Chappell going down like he'd been shot after Alan Biley affected to head-butt him in front of the BV main stand. Biley wasn't within two feet of him. Cue laughter and derision from everyone and the never-to-be-forgotten shout from Ray Ternant, 'Get up yer bellend. They're laughin at yer.' 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #477 on July 03, 2018, 11:21:27 am by Bentley Bullet »
 When someone is seriously injured or suspects they might be they will remain still. If they roll around like a fish out of water, they are not seriously hurt. it's a dead giveaway, but sadly referees don't seem to recognise it.

Unfortunately, footballers are encouraged to behave that way because referees are very unlikely to give a foul unless the player goes to ground.

Referees have caused the problem.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #478 on July 03, 2018, 12:56:28 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Giving fouls more when someone doesn't go down is key. And giving yellows for "wuss conduct" should be a matter of course even when someone is fouled.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #479 on July 03, 2018, 01:08:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

So today’s referees are worse than the ones in the 1960s and 70s?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012