Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:07:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 83750 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #540 on July 03, 2018, 11:59:01 pm by Filo »
The game was too big for the American ref, let the Colombians bully and intimidate him, should not get another game in this World Cup

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #541 on July 04, 2018, 12:13:48 am by Alan Southstand »
How many people, before the WC started, would have said that our defenders would be the best players on the pitch?

I'm guessing not many!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #542 on July 04, 2018, 12:14:16 am by bpoolrover »
Today gave me more hope that we can actually win this, people said how good Colombia 🇨🇴 were, they had no interest in attacking and were god damn awful, while we were not brilliant at least we attacked and until the 90th min they were never going to score

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #543 on July 04, 2018, 12:29:32 am by scawsby steve »
Ok folks, it's time for some straight talking. Yes, I'm as ecstatic as everyone else that we're in the quarter-finals, and I knew that we'd win the penalty shoot-out, based on nothing else but a hunch. However, I've watched 4 teams perform today; Sweden, Switzerland, Colombia, and England, and they were all absolutely atrocious.

People are saying that this is the most exciting World Cup there's ever been, and they're right, it has been, but why has it been exciting?; because most of the big teams have been knocked out, and why have they been knocked out?; because they were sh*te, and apart from Brazil, and maybe France, the remaining teams are crap as well.

Whilst admitting that this is the most exciting World Cup there's ever been, in terms of quality it's the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. Roll on England, it's looking like a lottery from now on in. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 12:47:47 am by scawsby steve »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #544 on July 04, 2018, 12:48:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Bpool
I agree. Tonight has made me think England can win the WC.

Tonight they showed maturity and calmness under severe provocation. They’ll need more, but maybe not till the final.

And Kane. Have we finally found a Klinsmann? Nothing flashy. But everything correct. Machine-like. That wins you a WC.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #545 on July 04, 2018, 12:52:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
And I wonder what price you’d get onStetling to score in the Final? He looked sharp early on. But a little unlucky. He won’t always be unlucky.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #546 on July 04, 2018, 12:57:57 am by hoolahoop »
I think England deserved it and Colombia; big, strong, physical, organised and a pain in arse to play against, were always going to be difficult to play against.

It nearly worked for them so credit where it's due, but the better footballing side won.

I don't know if Sweden will change their tactics a bit on the basis of what they've seen the opposition do tonight.

We rarely agree but I agree with every part of your post . I'm just pleased that they had a player or two out and that they didn't play as well as I saw them play earlier in the tournament. They sure were big and very physical - a good test for us . I get the impression some on here under- estimated them I'm very pleased our team didn't do the same

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #547 on July 04, 2018, 12:59:00 am by RoversAlias »
We were not atrocious at all. Until about the 84th minute we played well, controlled the game and played sensibly. It all went wayward when we let them come onto us and extra time was simply a case of getting through it. But to say we were 'atrocious' is totally unfair.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #548 on July 04, 2018, 01:12:42 am by scawsby steve »
We were not atrocious at all. Until about the 84th minute we played well, controlled the game and played sensibly. It all went wayward when we let them come onto us and extra time was simply a case of getting through it. But to say we were 'atrocious' is totally unfair.

Alias, can you remember Ospinas having to make a save apart from the penalty shoot-out, because I can't.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #549 on July 04, 2018, 01:19:54 am by RoversAlias »

Alias, can you remember Ospinas having to make a save apart from the penalty shoot-out, because I can't.

Is that the one barameter of a team being "absolutely atrocious" then? Neither side came close to scoring from open play bar a hit-and-hope from Uribe that Pickford kept out superbly. But we played decent, controlled football for large spells and had a lot to contend with with the physical nature of the Colombian's tactics.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #550 on July 04, 2018, 02:55:15 am by PDX_Rover »
There were few shots on goal for us because every time we got anywhere near their box there was a push or a trip or some other b*llocks...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #551 on July 04, 2018, 06:30:17 am by Alan Southstand »
Now it's settled down a bit, can we have an answer to the antics of Colombia and why were they allowed to get away with it? FIFA must be squirming in their seats. If that is the best they can offer, then we may as well scrap referees altogether. And why was that head butt not a straight red - please enlighten me!

The referee lost control of that game from about minute 5 and by the end of the game he looked like he'd had enough!

Colombia should receive a massive fine for their appalling antics!

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #552 on July 04, 2018, 07:22:38 am by boro_rover »
Although we didn’t have many shots we controlled the game but for the first half of extra time. There were some young lads in our squad who could easily have lost their rag and retaliated - but they didn’t and you have to give huge credit for that. We got the result and gave a solid team performance. Southgate has them very well drilled.

Even BST has some cautious optimism for our chances now whichbhas to mean something!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #553 on July 04, 2018, 07:45:19 am by Pancho Regan »
Appalling tactics from Colombia, they were a disgrace. I'm so chuffed they didn't prosper and England eventually prevailed
I couldn't believe how the ref allowed the Colombia players to crowd and jostle him, arguing with every decision and wasting time. He should have dished some cards out for that, he gave them far too much leeway and they abused it totally.

Thank heavens the ref did eventually give the pen for the wrestling in the box though.

Other than a lapse by Henderson with the slight 'backward head-butt' we kept our cool in the face of massive intimidation, so huge credit to the England players.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #554 on July 04, 2018, 08:21:14 am by Bollinger »
Appalling tactics from Colombia, they were a disgrace. I'm so chuffed they didn't prosper and England eventually prevailed
I couldn't believe how the ref allowed the Colombia players to crowd and jostle him, arguing with every decision and wasting time. He should have dished some cards out for that, he gave them far too much leeway and they abused it totally.

Thank heavens the ref did eventually give the pen for the wrestling in the box though.

Other than a lapse by Henderson with the slight 'backward head-butt' we kept our cool in the face of massive intimidation, so huge credit to the England players.

According to the Colombian manager it was England who were conning the ref,  "England have a great weapon in the air. Players fall in the box. They collide and fall. It's hurtful. "

About as much dignity off the pitch as on it.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #555 on July 04, 2018, 08:31:54 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
f**k them.

It's coming home

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #556 on July 04, 2018, 08:49:32 am by Filo »

According to the Colombian manager it was England who were conning the ref,  "England have a great weapon in the air. Players fall in the box. They collide and fall. It's hurtful. "

About as much dignity off the pitch as on it.

If he said that I think FIFA should require him to attend a drug test, he's obviously been on his Country's most famous export

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #557 on July 04, 2018, 09:02:46 am by DonnyOsmond »
Anyone else feel like they were watching Rovers last night? Very few shots, concede late equaliser.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #558 on July 04, 2018, 09:16:25 am by idler »
I would also ask their defender to explain scrubbing the penalty spot with his studs while they were arguing about the penalty.
They ought to be made an example of by retrospective action.
If players from all countries played the game in a sporting manner it would be far better to watch and easier for the officials to control.
Look at England v Brazil in 1970, mutual respect and far more honesty than you see now. I always remember Pele and Bobby Moore walking off together at the end.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #559 on July 04, 2018, 09:23:11 am by Copps is Magic »
I would also ask their defender to explain scrubbing the penalty spot with his studs while they were arguing about the penalty.
They ought to be made an example of by retrospective action.

There was 3 or 4 of them at it. Colombia regularly cheated in the game.

It was a shame to see England players berating the ref on numerous occasions, however. Until now i think our discipline has been pretty exemplary. Southgate needs to cut that out.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #560 on July 04, 2018, 09:29:55 am by Donnywolf »
The Ref was 100% right to give the Penalty on HK - I mean the bloke literally jumped on his back for a piggy back just as the Ref looked that way

Then the antics started - and its true he did himself no favours at all. Pull out a Yello and say its one for every Player in the Box by the time I get out of it myself. There will be no VAR - Its a 100% CAST IRON Penalty

... and did anyone else get sick of hearing the phrase " fouled by Barrios" ? After escaping the VAR Red for the head butt he still continued to foul and "cheat" for the rest of the game and went unpunished. How they finished with 11 is quite beyond me. Goodye and good riddance (to them not you my fellow Forumites)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #561 on July 04, 2018, 10:15:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Colombia might have played like devils but England had God on their side.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnSentamu

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #562 on July 04, 2018, 10:28:18 am by GazLaz »
Colombia might have played like devils but England had God on their side.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnSentamu

Funny you should say that BST, I paid a visit yesterday.

https://twitter.com/biggazlaw/status/1014137932335190016?s=21

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #563 on July 04, 2018, 11:24:55 am by RedJ »
Yeah well done on almost succeeding at cheating and conning the ref, at least you did what you were good at lads(!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #564 on July 04, 2018, 11:32:35 am by GazLaz »
Columbia are a poor side, especially without James, and they nearly won. Can’t fault them for how they went about things.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #565 on July 04, 2018, 12:17:44 pm by Filo »
I wonder if Colombia's two penalty takes that missed will be murdered, anyone remember Andreas Escobar after he scored the own goal that knocked them out once?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #566 on July 04, 2018, 12:26:51 pm by RoversAlias »
I think England deserved it and Colombia; big, strong, physical, organised and a pain in arse to play against, were always going to be difficult to play against.

It nearly worked for them so credit where it's due, but the better footballing side won.

I don't know if Sweden will change their tactics a bit on the basis of what they've seen the opposition do tonight.

I don’t get you Rigo, how can you give credit to that, if the ref has anything about him at least 3 would have been sent off for Columbia. Nothing to do with being physical and everything to do with intimidation and the official doing nothing about it

They played to their strengths and knew exactly what they were doing. It was a clear and obvious game plan and they nearly executed it to perfection.

Had Henderson been sent off, they'd have got exactly what they wanted.

A gameplan of cheating.

I reckon a team could set out with the gameplan of literally punching all opposition players in the game and you'd praise them for executing it to perfection when they lose the game by forfeit for having too many men sent off.

Colombia were a disgrace last night, and for me it was worse than Panama because you could understand the reasons for Panama doing it - they knew they were vastly inferior to us skill-wise so had to come up with another way to get at us. Not that it worked.

Colombia however are supposed to be a proper football team. I didn't see all this "shithousery" (to use a word a lot are using to describe such sides in this tournament) in their group stage games I saw with Japan and Senegal. They have some excellent footballers even without Rodriguez - Quintero, Cuadrado, Falcao - yet all they wanted to do was find as many ways to cheat as possible. Several of their players were nothing short of embarrassments to their nation the way they acted, particularly Barrios, Mina and Falcao.

Beforehand I was worried because I knew Colombia had some dangerous players and expected them to play football, but they didn't even try. Until the final few minutes of normal time they didn't have a sniff of a goal and barely got out of their own half in any meaningful fashion. Just fouls all over the pitch, constant moaning to the referee and blatant cheating tactics like the penalty spot fiasco. Most kicks in the shoot-out had to be taken from aside the spot because of that as well, perhaps in a small way that ended up benefitting us.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #567 on July 04, 2018, 02:34:45 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Reading the comments about Sterling and you've got to remember he's receiving the ball with 3/4 opposition players around him with his back to goal. It's not easy and i think he does a good job. Just missing a goal he is but for me he keeps his shirt, Rashford is better from the bench with is probably why his club manager has used him that way.

Alli however does give it away too easily, i appreciate he's trying to make things happen so you get that a bit but i just don't think he's fit.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #568 on July 04, 2018, 03:27:05 pm by NickDRFC »
Alli is the interesting one for me. I've seen a fair bit of Spurs over the past few years as my mate has a ST, and pretty much every time I have seen him play he's been on the periphery of the game, or given the ball away far too much. However, he always seems to pop up with a vital goal or an assist for Spurs. With England, he also seems to be on the periphery but he doesn't have those "moments" either to justify his place. Add to that that at this World Cup he has never looked quite fit or comfortable and you're left with the question if he justifies his place.

Not sure he does but he does do a fair bit of defensive work and if you replaced him with Rashford or Welbeck you'd lose that. RLC and Delph are alternatives but they're more defensive minded so you'd miss that potential spark up top. If he's fit, I'd start him against Sweden and hope he starts firing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #569 on July 04, 2018, 03:30:26 pm by Filo »
Alli is the interesting one for me. I've seen a fair bit of Spurs over the past few years as my mate has a ST, and pretty much every time I have seen him play he's been on the periphery of the game, or given the ball away far too much. However, he always seems to pop up with a vital goal or an assist for Spurs. With England, he also seems to be on the periphery but he doesn't have those "moments" either to justify his place. Add to that that at this World Cup he has never looked quite fit or comfortable and you're left with the question if he justifies his place.

Not sure he does but he does do a fair bit of defensive work and if you replaced him with Rashford or Welbeck you'd lose that. RLC and Delph are alternatives but they're more defensive minded so you'd miss that potential spark up top. If he's fit, I'd start him against Sweden and hope he starts firing.

Delph is in England at the moment

TinyPortal © 2005-2012