Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:09:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 83816 times)

pib

• Forum Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #870 on July 11, 2018, 11:33:53 pm by pib »
Just my opinion dickos. I think we dropped a bit deeper, didn't apply as much pressure, and the slick passing turned panicky and forced. We couldn't keep the first half display going due to a combination of things - Croatia improving and digging in, fatigue coming in, lack of experience etc.

Not taking anything away from what England have done though. I didn't expect us to progress beyond the last 16 before the tournament started so to get to a semi-final is a big achievement.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #871 on July 11, 2018, 11:38:22 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We didn't manage the game well enough. In the cold light of day, Young went absent and it was crying out for Rose before they scored. Alli was ineffective so Southgate has to learn to be Ruthless with his subs and not wait till its too late. We're not far off and we need to make sure we continue to progress and retain that hunger to get better.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #872 on July 11, 2018, 11:46:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
Proud of the journey we've been on, but fine margins win games and Gareth, you need to respond to tactical changes much quicker!

Our lack of experience also became a factor, but it's all water under the bridge now and the young guns have to learn from it.

We can all see improvement and that is important for the future.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #873 on July 12, 2018, 10:39:47 am by Chris Black come back »
I don’t think we fizzled out, they upped their game. It’s a World Cup semi final there was no way we were going to dominate like we did in the first half for 90 mins. That’s why we needed to take our chances. Should’ve been 3-0 at half time

I agree with this dickos.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #874 on July 12, 2018, 12:17:14 pm by RoversAlias »
You can do What Ifs at any event though. I get that the draw "opened up" like it probably never will again, but we can do those What Ifs so often. We were never favourites in 2002 but we could've beaten Brazil, and then we'd have been a semi final with Turkey and a final against a pretty average Germany team away from the trophy.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #875 on July 12, 2018, 12:39:11 pm by dickos1 »
No way the keeper should be saving that free kick, it went like a bullet and was about 3 inch below the crossbar, the keeper would’ve been expecting the ball going the other corner.

Great free kick and if ronaldo has scored it everyone would be wetting themselves

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #876 on July 12, 2018, 02:43:08 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
As good a moment as Trippier's free-kick was, the keeper didn't make any effort to dive and it wasn't in the corner - good flight on the ball and everything else, but the GK should be saving that or at least making an attempt to.

I thought the same at first as the keeper didn't stretch for it, but although it was a good yard inside the post, and not too hard, it was perfectly just underneath the bar and significantly, the keeper couldn't see it till too late. Not a chance.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #877 on July 12, 2018, 04:26:58 pm by Cantley Rover »
How many times have you seen situations like Croatia's first goal where the ref has given a foul for dangerous play. Not that I was surprised that he didn't give it as he was garbage last night.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #878 on July 12, 2018, 05:57:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It wasn't dangerous play though. His foot was nowhere near the defender's head.

Both goals showed that England's defence is still vulnerable. Perisic and Mandzukic reacted far more quickly to the emerging situation than the defenders did. It's fine margins, but that's what makes the difference at this level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #879 on July 12, 2018, 06:40:54 pm by dickos1 »
Just watched the game again and bar 25 mins in 2nd half we were the better side.
Extra time we were also the better side,

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #880 on July 13, 2018, 06:30:48 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
and I'm very surprised people haven't twigged today is the battle with a Belgium "team"  but the war could well end next month as they say we'll meet again !!!  for the final curtain

it happened in 1962 as we all know czecks in same group as brazil and met in the final

think czecks got a measly 3 points in the group

sorry folks  I misread the information I was given from above (not the same one as gaz's) about Belgium meeting England again in The Competition - I forgot to ask my source if it was the final forget he could have meant the 3rd place play off match   

an England Belgium final was 33/1 at the time

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #881 on July 13, 2018, 06:54:32 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
and I'm very surprised people haven't twigged today is the battle with a Belgium "team"  but the war could well end next month as they say we'll meet again !!!  for the final curtain

it happened in 1962 as we all know czecks in same group as brazil and met in the final

think czecks got a measly 3 points in the group

sorry folks  I misread the information I was given from above (not the same one as gaz's) about Belgium meeting England again in The Competition - I forgot to ask my source if it was the final forget he could have meant the 3rd place play off match   

an England Belgium final was 33/1 at the time

On a related point, didn't Germany and USA play each other twice at World Cup 2002. Or Germany v Turkey?

Got a recollection the third place game in that competition was also a group stage game, or maybe a semi-final.

just realised it was a "bridge too far" as they say for both teams  maybe they make a film with that name one day
 :suicide:

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #882 on July 14, 2018, 04:16:48 pm by Cantley Rover »
Just watching the England v Belgium game. Who's testimonial is it?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #883 on July 14, 2018, 04:20:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
What we can see is Jones is not good enough, Dier to slow be the central pivot. Sterling not afront two player. Rose not good enough Delph better there than him.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #884 on July 14, 2018, 04:27:48 pm by GazLaz »
What we can see is Jones is not good enough, Dier to slow be the central pivot. Sterling not afront two player. Rose not good enough Delph better there than him.

Sterling is quality, agree that Dier isn’t good enough though.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #885 on July 14, 2018, 04:30:55 pm by NickDRFC »
Yeah, I’ve never really seen the fuss about Dier, but I really rate Sterling, although he seems to panic whenever he has time on the ball in or just outside the box. But don’t think you can read too much into this game either way. As Cantley Rover posted, it’s pretty much like a friendly.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #886 on July 14, 2018, 04:32:41 pm by dickos1 »
Played really well this 2nd half.
Should’ve scored at least 1

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #887 on July 14, 2018, 04:35:19 pm by Cantley Rover »
Yeah, I’ve never really seen the fuss about Dier, but I really rate Sterling, although he seems to panic whenever he has time on the ball in or just outside the box. But don’t think you can read too much into this game either way. As Cantley Rover posted, it’s pretty much like a friendly.

For me Sterling is all huff and no puff. He dribbles down blind alleys, his passing is poor and cannot finish. Other than that he is excellent.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #888 on July 14, 2018, 04:36:17 pm by Cantley Rover »

Yeh shoulda woulda coulda

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #889 on July 14, 2018, 04:38:49 pm by drfchound »

Agreed, we are having a good go at them now.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #890 on July 14, 2018, 04:40:53 pm by CottyRover »
All over now

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #891 on July 14, 2018, 04:41:21 pm by dickos1 »

Yeh shoulda woulda coulda

What?
Played well in all the games.

It’s funny how all the people who were saying England are shite and won’t do anything this World Cup are now the ones moaning about getting knocked out in the semi

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #892 on July 14, 2018, 04:41:45 pm by steve@dcfd »

Sterling is quality, agree that Dier isn’t good enough though.

Gaz I’m not saying he is quality but not in the front two.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #893 on July 14, 2018, 04:42:31 pm by bpoolrover »
Rashford must be the most frustrating player I have ever seen bags of talent but rarely any end product and so many wrong decisions, to be fair to dier he is the 1 creating the chances

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #894 on July 14, 2018, 04:43:00 pm by drfchound »
All over now

Yep, due to us pushing on I think.
Fair play though it was a good break away goal.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #895 on July 14, 2018, 04:43:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
Jones is shocking if Walker had played they would not have scored

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #896 on July 14, 2018, 04:45:42 pm by Filo »
We're just too slow in our build up play, we need to learn how to counter like the Belgians do

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #897 on July 14, 2018, 04:53:25 pm by CottyRover »
We're just too slow in our build up play, we need to learn how to counter like the Belgians do

Too many passes back to the goalie. Gerrit forward!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #898 on July 14, 2018, 05:11:58 pm by GazLaz »
Played very well second half. Plenty to build on.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #899 on July 14, 2018, 05:34:54 pm by Filo »
Played very well second half. Plenty to build on.

I agree, until we get around the box and then we struggle, Kane for the most part in the last two games has gine missing, not just him either, there just not enough movement in and around the box

TinyPortal © 2005-2012