Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:23:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson  (Read 80202 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Talk Your Way Out Of This One Johnson
« Reply #1500 on June 14, 2022, 12:42:22 pm by SydneyRover »
Interesting attack documents by the tories being circulated about labour's poor economic policy

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1501 on June 14, 2022, 05:16:57 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Yep, agreed bfyp.   There will inevitably be a little less driving due to price, but people working from home post pandemic and the rise of electric car use will undoubtedly have had an effect.
The use of petrol and diesel will probably continue to decrease in the coming years.

Even with a switch to electric cars, the electricity still has to be generated somewhere using some sort of energy. That's where oil will be used instead of in the cars themselves.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1502 on June 14, 2022, 05:37:27 pm by albie »
Completely lost me there, Glyn.

No-one in their right mind is going to be generating electricity by burning oil.
The low cost route to electricity generation is solar and wind, with reserve storage from batteries.

Anyone looking to use oil will be bankrupt in next to no time.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1503 on June 14, 2022, 05:56:48 pm by ravenrover »
So much for zero carbon, Kwarteng now asking coal  fired power stations to stay online longer to protect our energy supply

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1504 on June 14, 2022, 06:54:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

No-one in their right mind is going to be generating electricity by burning oil.
The low cost route to electricity generation is solar and wind, with reserve storage from batteries.

Renewable energy is nowhere near fulfilling the county's electricity needs now - how do you think the extra electricity to power cars is going to be generated?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1505 on June 14, 2022, 07:22:05 pm by ravenrover »
But, but the Govt have signed up for clean energy we are going to build mulriple nuclear power station, invest in clean energy wind farms solar power and 40 new hospitals. But lets keep filthy coal powered power stations with imported coal good old EDF who the French put a cap on their price increase but what did we do?
Like everything else it's utter boll.........

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1506 on June 14, 2022, 08:22:34 pm by Filo »
So much for zero carbon, Kwarteng now asking coal  fired power stations to stay online longer to protect our energy supply

Imagine if we had our own supply of coal eh?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1507 on June 14, 2022, 09:13:40 pm by ravenrover »

Imagine if we had our own supply of coal eh?
Read my post above

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1508 on June 14, 2022, 09:44:14 pm by albie »

Renewable energy is nowhere near fulfilling the county's electricity needs now - how do you think the extra electricity to power cars is going to be generated?

Glyn,

You said oil was going to be the energy source for electricity generation...it isn't, not a chance.
I don't know where you get this idea from.

As far as renewables go, an increasing % of electricity will be from this source:
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/renewable-energy-uk-electricity-2030-b2015499.html

The uptake of renewables within the energy economy is influenced by government policy, so if subsidy is directed towards expensive solutions like nuclear, it will affect the pace of change.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1509 on June 14, 2022, 10:12:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Glyn,

You said oil was going to be the energy source for electricity generation...it isn't, not a chance.
I don't know where you get this idea from.

As far as renewables go, an increasing % of electricity will be from this source:
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/renewable-energy-uk-electricity-2030-b2015499.html

The uptake of renewables within the energy economy is influenced by government policy, so if subsidy is directed towards expensive solutions like nuclear, it will affect the pace of change.

I don't know where you get the idea that any promises or projections this government comes out with are in any way an indicator of reality.

Especially if you read that article all the way to the end.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1510 on June 14, 2022, 10:55:14 pm by albie »
Yes Glyn, I did say that government choices will affect the outcome.

The energy economy will gravitate to least cost solutions. The winners in a free market comparison are solar and wind, BUT if a government is in hock to vested interests, they will try to weight development to support favoured sectors.

I did read the article to the end, and as an indicator of reality I have many years experience in energy economics.
I still don't know where you get the idea that oil will be used to generate electricity...do you have a link?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1511 on June 14, 2022, 11:42:27 pm by SydneyRover »
''The UK's first "off-grid" mobile phone mast is being switched on in a two-year pilot to deliver 4G coverage to a remote village''

Hope yet for Scawsby and Sprotbrough then

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-61798401

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1512 on June 15, 2022, 08:49:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
To have one standards adviser resign is unfortunate...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55016076.amp

To have two resign sounds like carelessness when it comes to standards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61819747

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1513 on June 15, 2022, 09:30:11 pm by Donnywolf »
Arise Lord Hancock ?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1514 on June 16, 2022, 01:05:45 am by SydneyRover »
The second time Geidt has had to resign from his post, not a very popular figure with any that want to stretch the rules.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1515 on June 16, 2022, 07:54:49 am by Donnywolf »
Sue Gray wasn't supposed to be either

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1516 on June 16, 2022, 09:28:47 am by SydneyRover »
johnson should stop with all the pretence and appoint Philip Green or someone similar.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1517 on June 16, 2022, 01:04:18 pm by SydneyRover »
so basically Geidt calls johnson a snake and resigns

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1518 on June 16, 2022, 05:01:48 pm by tyke1962 »
And still Labour are only two points ahead of Johnson , I'll not use the word Conservative Party .

Something not reight somewhere .

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1519 on June 16, 2022, 05:04:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
johnson should stop with all the pretence and appoint Philip Green or someone similar.

I hear Prince Andrew is looking for a job..!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1520 on June 16, 2022, 05:08:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
And still Labour are only two points ahead of Johnson , I'll not use the word Conservative Party .

Aye, you.

The latest poll of polls I've just looked at has Labour 6% ahead.

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2022
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:12:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1521 on June 16, 2022, 05:11:30 pm by drfchound »
It’s going to be a walk over in the next GE isn’t it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1522 on June 16, 2022, 05:12:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It’s going to be a walk over in the next GE isn’t it.

If you say so.

I don't think it will though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1523 on June 16, 2022, 05:30:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of course it won't be a walkover. Anything could happen yet. And 30% of the population are now so wedded to Project Johnson that he could rape a sheep in the doorway of No10 and they'd find a reason to excuse him.

Couple of old dears from Tiverton on R4 news this lunchtime. "Yes he might have had a few drinks, but why did everybody go on so much about it. Boris has had so much on his plate. He had to deal with COVID. And all the problems with Brexit."

God help us...

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1524 on June 16, 2022, 06:02:37 pm by tyke1962 »

Aye, you.

The latest poll of polls I've just looked at has Labour 6% ahead.

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2022

I stand corrected , 6% wow !!!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1525 on June 16, 2022, 06:03:19 pm by tyke1962 »
Of course it won't be a walkover. Anything could happen yet. And 30% of the population are now so wedded to Project Johnson that he could rape a sheep in the doorway of No10 and they'd find a reason to excuse him.

Couple of old dears from Tiverton on R4 news this lunchtime. "Yes he might have had a few drinks, but why did everybody go on so much about it. Boris has had so much on his plate. He had to deal with COVID. And all the problems with Brexit."

God help us...

Terrible innit William , democracy and all that .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1526 on June 16, 2022, 08:07:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fee fi fo fum. I smell the blood of a Tarn Tory.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #1527 on June 16, 2022, 08:32:53 pm by tyke1962 »

To tell the truth William if both the major party's were cars you'd have taken them to the scrap yard decades ago .

I find both in varying degrees absolutely grotesque .

They both  survive because of tribalism and our voting system , that's the only thing that keeps them alive .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1528 on June 16, 2022, 09:17:02 pm by drfchound »

God help us...

Terrible innit William , democracy and all that .

Tyke, bst doesn’t ever like to think that non Labour supporters can have a different opinion to himself.
Given the opportunity he would accept a dictatorship as long as it was his side who were in charge.
He also really dislikes older people.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1529 on June 16, 2022, 09:38:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

To tell the truth William if both the major party's were cars you'd have taken them to the scrap yard decades ago .

I find both in varying degrees absolutely grotesque .

They both  survive because of tribalism and our voting system , that's the only thing that keeps them alive .

The very best of luck getting the country that you want then.

In our FPTP system, politics isn't about you saying "give me exactly what I demand or I'm not playing." It's about growing up, gritting your teeth and getting the least bad outcome on offer.

If you don't engage with that, and as a result, Johnson gets back in power, you can wave your conscience from the highest flagpole in Barnsley. But it won't change the fact. YOU will have chosen to put Johnson back in No10.

Your call.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012