Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:46:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations  (Read 312589 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Negotiations
« Reply #1320 on April 09, 2018, 03:20:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Billy, even the Irish border means that there is big bucks in it for someone, when that someone comes to the table it will get sorted.

There's been big bucks riding on it since day one and we're no nearer an acceptable solution because there isn't one.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1321 on April 09, 2018, 05:14:34 pm by Sprotyrover »
  A bit of fun, I saw it posted on a site,knew some of it was make believe, and thought getting hammered by yourselves would be a bit funny, SORRY.
   But what some of you who are much more clued  up than me on this subject have to realise, is that in both camps there are some very big world class companies who do exert a lot of influence on governments. And when push comes to shove  their interests will be taken into consideration.
  The talks are now heading towards their interests, I expect the tone to change and a more level headed approach to the negotiations, and more agreement.
Shelby:You have never been Trolling,Billy,Hoola and Glynn have you..Shame on you!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1322 on April 09, 2018, 09:03:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Tears at the Cock-a-Hoop Tavern.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1323 on April 10, 2018, 12:54:10 am by hoolahoop »
Quote from: Sprotyrover link=topic=263860.msg771014#msg771014 date=1523290474
[quote author=selby link=topic=263860.msg770964#msg770964 date=1523268745
  A bit of fun, I saw it posted on a site,knew some of it was make believe, and thought getting hammered by yourselves would be a bit funny, SORRY.
   But what some of you who are much more clued  up than me on this subject have to realise, is that in both camps there are some very big world class companies who do exert a lot of influence on governments. And when push comes to shove  their interests will be taken into consideration.
  The talks are now heading towards their interests, I expect the tone to change and a more level headed approach to the negotiations, and more agreement.
Shelby:You have never been Trolling,Billy,Hoola and Glynn have you..Shame on you!
[/quote]

Time you grew up .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1324 on April 12, 2018, 06:44:50 pm by selby »
  An Article economist  Mathew Lynn,  " The eurozone is facing a new recession" may be of interest to some of you guys.
  Centred on the fact that the powerhouse of europe (Germany) is slowing down sharply,which may be only a blip, but that's how recessions start.
   No progress on reforms has been made, policy responses are limited, and electorates are exhausted by austerity.
  Inspite of the populist idea that everything is getting better, there are some suspcious numbers that don't quite fit the narrative.
   Last week we learnt that retail sales had dropped 0.7% in Feb and had dropped six of the last eight months, and all the last three. Industrial output was down1.6% last month, the largest fall in three years , construction numbers down and factory ordres up only 0.3% after dropping 3.6% in January.
  Most employment growth is in low paid  jobs going to immigrants, and suggests that the economic cycle has topped out in spite of stimulus  to the Euro.
  Across the eurozone  as a whole the outlook is little better with France especially week with retail stagnant and a 1.9% fall in household real income for January and for the year as a whole.
   All this when 2.2 trillion of new Euros have been chucked in at near zero % interest.
   It may not happen but another recession could be terminal for the Euro, THe markets are ignoring the figures at the moment,as a few rogue figures,and forecasters predict a swift recovery, but it does not mean the figures are not real, and if they are the eurozone is heading for big  trouble.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1325 on April 12, 2018, 07:46:39 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Why could a recession be terminal for the Euro? Every currency has been through recessions and I've never heard of a currency being killed by one yet.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1326 on April 12, 2018, 08:02:50 pm by selby »
  Don't take it up with me Glynn, ask Mathew Lynn, he is the economist who thinks it could happen.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1327 on April 12, 2018, 08:46:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That’ll be the Matthew Lynn who has made a career forecasting disaster in the EU will it?

Not exactly the most even-handed commentator. In the past couple of years he’s written articles entitled:

Europe is intent on regulating business out of existence.

Eurozone all at sea over root causes of downturn.

The eurozone crisis is back 

Why Brexit is worse for Europe’s economy than it is for ours 

If you quote commentators, you really out to stop and think about where they are coming from and what their track record of previous predictions is.

Oh aye. Most revealing of all. He’s also written a book lauding the rise of Nigel Farage.

For someone who says he supported Remain, you choose odd people to agree with Selby.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1328 on April 12, 2018, 08:48:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby. He’s NOT an economist by the way. He’s a journalist and fiction writer.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1329 on April 12, 2018, 09:17:12 pm by selby »
  Billy I was sent a circular by my bank I invest with, I copied a brief article which I thought might be of interest, which was also published in the Telegraph, You are shooting the messenger.
   I might add in the past, information from the same source has been very useful with regards to investments in the past. You can dismiss it, I can't afford to off hand, without doing a bit more research.
  I have no doubt the figures quoted are correct, and if the trend continues, as the song says "there may be trouble ahead".

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1330 on April 12, 2018, 09:31:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Understood Selby. But it is a fact that he’s been predicting problems for the EU economies for a long time, while they’ve actually grown strongly over the past couple of years - far stronger than we have.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1331 on April 13, 2018, 12:45:14 am by Glyn_Wigley »
  Don't take it up with me Glynn, ask Mathew Lynn, he is the economist who thinks it could happen.

In that case he's talking b*llocks.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1332 on April 13, 2018, 01:04:46 am by hoolahoop »
  Billy I was sent a circular by my bank I invest with, I copied a brief article which I thought might be of interest, which was also published in the Telegraph, You are shooting the messenger.
   I might add in the past, information from the same source has been very useful with regards to investments in the past. You can dismiss it, I can't afford to off hand, without doing a bit more research.
  I have no doubt the figures quoted are correct, and if the trend continues, as the song says "there may be trouble ahead".

Thanks for the warning .

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1333 on April 15, 2018, 03:21:35 pm by Not Now Kato »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1334 on April 16, 2018, 12:45:40 am by hoolahoop »

Selby do you think it's wise doing business with Russian banks ?  ;)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1335 on April 16, 2018, 12:55:54 am by hoolahoop »
But, but, but, we're taking back control, Boris and Nigel said so....

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/brexit-notice-to-stakeholders-aviation-safety.pdf

Nah that's just the opinion of experts , nothing to look at here.....move on .

Things are gonna get dearer from hereonin  unless you have a bus pass that is . Yrs back in control eh

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1336 on April 16, 2018, 10:59:23 am by selby »
  Unless they have taken over one in a large western city NO.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1337 on April 16, 2018, 11:02:34 am by selby »
  Hoola, I will give you a tip, get out of the Yorkshire Penny Bank you were in at school.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1338 on April 16, 2018, 06:02:59 pm by Ldr »
I still wonder if they had left well alone and stayed as an economic area rather than try and move to political integration whether the vote would have been different, mine probs would have been

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1339 on April 17, 2018, 06:19:20 am by hoolahoop »

Hoola, I will give you a tip, get out of the Yorkshire Penny Bank you were in at school.

Don't be an arse Selby.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1340 on April 17, 2018, 06:45:42 am by hoolahoop »
I still wonder if they had left well alone and stayed as an economic area rather than try and move to political integration whether the vote would have been different, mine probs would have been

Have you read the original intentions of the EEC as it was - it was intended to have greater political as well as economic integration right from the start .

Many in this country STILL blame our social and economic decline on the EU . I have news for you and any others who think like that - WE or rather OUR own Governments were in charge of that how do you think we became the 6th largest economy after needing repeated " bale outs " in the late 1960's  and early 1970's ? Yes it was on the back of the EU - now do you see the problem and it wasn't a loss of any sovereignty ( that was a lie ) or the imposition of Regulations ( that was also a lie ) or for that matter Immigration ( although we did fail to manage that - that was also a lie ). It was the failure of successive Govts . to govern and handle the wealth created instead THEY  not the EU pissed away the proceeds of North Sea oil or all that new found wealth - a fair chunk of that sits untaxed in Off Shore accounts by the same people who persuaded you to help them perpetuate that sleight of hand. It never reached your pocket then and neither will it going forward .

Still if  even after the last few weeks/ months we have endured you haven't realised the benefits to be gained from being as close as possible to our neighbours ; then how will you ĺever realise it . Until of course - its gone !!

The Treaty of Rome 1957.

" The Treaty establishing the EEC affirmed in its preamble that signatory States were  "determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe". In this way, the member States specifically affirmed the political objective of a progressive political integration.

In fact, the brand new institution was a customs union. As a consequence, the EEC was colloquially known as "Common Market". The member countries agreed to dismantle all tariff barriers over a 12-year transitional period. In view of the economic success that freer commercial exchanges brought about, the transitory term was shortened and in July 1968 all tariffs among the EEC States were abrogated. At the same time, a common tariff was established for all products coming from third countries.

As a matter of fact, the common market meant exclusively free circulation of goods. Free movement of persons, capitals and services continued to be subject to numerous limitations. "

As I hope you can see from the parts I have highlighted that is was NEVER just intended as a Common Market . Again that was a lie ......but it worked didnt it !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:08:19 am by hoolahoop »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1341 on April 17, 2018, 09:26:26 am by selby »
The Pound doing rather well this morning.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1342 on April 17, 2018, 11:11:42 am by hoolahoop »
Hmm i dont want it doing too well - a weak £ is better for my investments . It needs to fall

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1343 on April 17, 2018, 11:54:26 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Another currency doing badly doesn't mean the pound is getting stronger.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1344 on April 17, 2018, 12:14:22 pm by idler »
No but it does help if you are buying some of the other currency.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1345 on April 17, 2018, 01:27:11 pm by Muttley »

Because now that wage increases are above inflation it means that interest rates are likely to rise in the near future - great news for all those with mortgages!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1346 on April 18, 2018, 01:00:29 am by hoolahoop »
No but it does help if you are buying some of the other currency.

Stay off that crypto shite idler - reminds me I need some €uros and Danish Kroner. Now do i wait ?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1347 on April 18, 2018, 06:32:49 am by hoolahoop »
Each Brexit scenario will leave Britain worse off, study finds :-

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/18/each-brexit-scenario-will-leave-britain-worse-off-study-finds.

This makes grim reading !! Forget what you have heard about the strong £ because it's useless if you don't have them in the 1st place.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:37:51 am by hoolahoop »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1348 on April 18, 2018, 09:58:51 am by selby »
   Hoola, its them with the pounds who will look after themselves, the rest of us don't really have a say in it.
  As for investments, a mix of world wide companies is the best. Whatever geographical area you put your money in, there are some world class companies which will flourish eventually no matter what. Its picking them out that is the problem.
  If you are confident, do your research, look at the underlying trends,how dividends are covered, and recent results, have a dabble yourself, or put money into well managed funds with a track record of growth and a diverse portfolio spread ( less risk but more expensive).
   But only put money in you can afford to lose and don't need for day to day living, over time you should be better off than  putting it in a bank.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #1349 on April 19, 2018, 12:44:40 am by hoolahoop »
   Hoola, its them with the pounds who will look after themselves, the rest of us don't really have a say in it.
  As for investments, a mix of world wide companies is the best. Whatever geographical area you put your money in, there are some world class companies which will flourish eventually no matter what. Its picking them out that is the problem.
  If you are confident, do your research, look at the underlying trends,how dividends are covered, and recent results, have a dabble yourself, or put money into well managed funds with a track record of growth and a diverse portfolio spread ( less risk but more expensive).
   But only put money in you can afford to lose and don't need for day to day living, over time you should be better off than  putting it in a bank.

Thanks Selby now I do hate banks although they are useful for day to day transactions. I do invest in much the same way as you suggest . 

You are right Brexit is not a lower working class or even middle class thing - which surprised me why fools voted for it . You are quite correct it is only good for the moneyed in our societyhence the reason why these Brexiters are trying to drive it through at express speeds before the hue and cry starts . It surely will once a difficult trading future comes with all its problems and they are endless.

Incidentally it isn't impossible to stop it in its tracks - its going to cost a fortune and will be difficult to sort out even in non-economical areas.
We simply are not geared up for it and the world will spit in our face over it ; it's foolish at best .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012