Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:14:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Massive (in debt anyway) Wendies game  (Read 2944 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Massive (in debt anyway) Wendies game
« on August 11, 2021, 11:09:56 am by selby »
   A game I refuse to go to and give any money to financial cheats gets that off my chest.
 much fancied to go back to the Championship first time Wendies will be licking their lips  taking us on,a team in a complete rebuild period, and injuries and Covid taking its toll on an already small squad.
  On the face of it their supporters will be looking at this game as a three points in the bag game.
 Looking at their side with luminaries such as Bannan and Hutchinson at the heart of it  that who are probably on imaginary wages ( well as far as their owner is concerned they are fantasy he doesn't pay them it's easy) on more between them than the whole of our squad.
  So let's look at the reason they are playing against us in the junior league, Oh it's because nobody else wants them, they have been poor for the last three seasons  in the Championship and the way their club runs it finances should not be even in the EFL if they were Chester or Hereford they wouldn't be.
  So what chance has little old Doncaster got in this game?I would say about even, based on the fact they have like us played two games, have yet to score a goal, are a side that over the last few seasons are used to losing games and have that mentality, and a manager that is not the brightest tactical brain on the planet.
  Whether the Wendies players outside the first team squad have worked it out yet to get out of there or stagnate in the short time he has been there is questionable, but will eventually undermine the spirit in the club make no mistake.
 Back to us, we are miles off a finished article, Saturday we were poor, but we can't say they didn't try, and last night we were better, not great, but better as the game went on and with one or two starting to show their worth, and seemingly have no shrinking violets like last season when effort wise we were pathetic after December with no character at all in the side, this side has reversed that trend and at least play with energy.
   The win in the penalty shoot out last night I thought could be a turning point both on and off the field of play, and it taking part at our end contributed greatly.
   The Keeper was fantastic, in fact both were making some great saves,but that was the first time in a long time the players and supporters became one, only a small band of 300ish but what an outpouring of joy, and pride in the team. and the team I am sure were aware of what wearing the shirt means to the supporters and now know that as long as they give their best, the supporters will get right behind them, carry that into Saturday and the game will not be easy for them, a side who are a big name and small in stature as a club being dragged in the gutter.
  Have we a chance at the massive small club?
  Looking at the Wendies team sheet, is there really anything there to scare you?
  Are we likely to get a couple in for this game? probably loans if so.
  Which of our new players have impressed you?
  Are you going?
  Lot's to discuss about this game, lot's to discuss about the team, please have your say. Wendies fans welcome.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Massive (in debt anyway) Wendies game
« Reply #1 on August 11, 2021, 01:58:13 pm by sha66y »
As intriguing as this game appears, I , like you would not pour my money into their club no matter what….
Regarding the game, I see this as a potential smash and grab….young Barlow is finding spaces and isnt afraid to shoot, Big Bogle reacted well to a rollicking and pleased Richie, and Williams is going to find his feet I feel…so slowly slowly we may find a balance that suits….
The Wendies fans will soon turn if they don’t see total domination, and this can only help….
I see a quick goal from Barlow and a resolute defensive unit made up of ten outfield players putting there hearts on the line to secure a victory….

Then again….

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2021, 04:12:42 pm by ForsolongaRover »
There are extended highlights of the Wednesday-Charlton game on You Tube and they did not look as good as Charlton who were not exactly impressive either.

Wednesday were not fluent and when they did get into potential scoring positions they lacked mutual understanding and were clumsy.

I had expected to see more individual skill, but they did not seem to be up to the standard they occasionally reached towards the end of last year’s run to the drop.

Having said all this they could still be better than us, but I don’t think we need to be fearful of a gulf in class.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2021, 07:15:51 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Don't see us winning against anyone at the minute. It's going to take months this rebuild.

Weird one this game. Most games 20 miles apart is a massive big rivalry game. This isn't and never has been for us or them. As much as their self righteous fans think everyone's obsessed with them.

the7hills

« Reply #4 on August 11, 2021, 09:13:37 pm by the7hills »
I am certainly looking forward to an away game on my doorstep again! Last time I was at Hillsborough was a couple of years ago.. accompanying a Leeds fan (the shame.. I know). It is great to be returning with Rovers!

In my many years as a Sheffielder, I have never had any problems with Blades folk - Most of the time you can enjoy a good, sensible conversion. Now, as for them knuckle-draggers down S6.. well, their fans are the absolute worse - Which is probably why all Yorkshire clubs share that same distaste! They had a few spells of success (many many years ago) and since then, their fans think they have the God given right to act like complete tosspots (witnessed it all). Reality is, they have achieved nothing in over 20 years (except the odd relegation), and they probably wont see Prem status again in their lifetime! So, that being said.. I would love nothing more than for us to turn them over!

In reality.. given the injuries and Covid related absences, allowing time for the team to gel etc.. I think we could be looking at 2-0 defeat - They have really done the business last couple of weeks.. this could well be the game they find their form. No Windass and Paterson but still have plenty of options. Our performances have been rather wide of the mark so far.. Being as thin on the ground as we are, cant see us finding winning ways just yet.. Hope to be proven wrong! I would happily take a point.

If Seaman is out, I can only see us finding the net through Barlow. Thiago has done nothing to indicate scoring any time soon. And Bogle.. well, we are all waiting for that day. Can see us bringing in one loan before Saturday.. think it could be a last minute job (Friday 6pm).

As for Moore.. No bitterness on my part - Proved he had no Plan B and had already set us in free-fall. Not forgetting the same dribble on repeat.. Was glad to see the back of him!

For the first time goers.. If travelling by train your best bet is to walk to Kelham Island. You will find a great variety of pubs and bars, old and new (Not really any boozer options for away fans near the stadium).

From Kelham just head straight up Penistone Road.. pig farm is at the end. Follow the smell.. or the trail of trotter prints!

Finally, we will never be a massive club.. we are a pub club. We know it and we are proud. These poor souls.. well, they think their massive.. last time I checked the only massive club round here was at S2!  :evil:

Bring on Saturday. You Reds!  :rtid:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:40:36 am by the7hills »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2021, 09:50:56 am by selby »
  They are nowhere near the club they used to be, strong at every level right from the junior sides up to the first team that promoted from within the clubs own ranks and brought in the odd good bought player of class to give the team an edge.
  Now that's all gone and for years have ignored and fallen behind other clubs  recruiting junior talent and bringing it through,and have resorted to buying fringe players from other clubs and paying high salaries they would get nowhere else and also have little or no sell on value to the club with the said players hard to get off the books until they run their high value contracts out.
  They have been run by a bunch of idiots.

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2021, 10:05:17 am by Redandwhite »
Just had a pop on the Wednesdays forum .
Wow they are a bitter bunch, and I thought I was grumpy .

They seem to have a big chip on their shoulders, kind of like "my dad is harder than yours"
I honestly couldn't care less about them as a club, apart from the Darren Moore factor .

They are a dying club, with a dwindling and ageing fan base . Their 2 closest rivals geographically are lightyears infront of them in terms of infrastructure and success (in the last 30 years )
Even their stadium is a crumbling mess, with supporting posts . I mean who still has them ?!  :lol: :lol:

They claim they don't care about us, but that thread on their forum is just attack after attack on our club and town.
Maybe it makes themselves feel better typing that tripe from their bed sit hovels in page hall .

I mean has anyone drove round Sheffield? My god it's grim in places.

Nah, I just get the impression that if your from Sheffield, have intelligence and the correct number of fingers, then you support united .
If you were bullied, and have 6 fingers then you support wendies with chips on their shoulders .
Maybe that's why they only get 20000 crowds, they need to save room for the chips .

Backward, uneducated no marks .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2021, 11:51:08 am by selby »
  Wow,  they like the truth over there.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2021, 01:09:18 pm by ravenrover »
Just had a pop on the Wednesdays forum .
Wow they are a bitter bunch, and I thought I was grumpy .

They seem to have a big chip on their shoulders, kind of like "my dad is harder than yours"
I honestly couldn't care less about them as a club, apart from the Darren Moore factor .

They are a dying club, with a dwindling and ageing fan base . Their 2 closest rivals geographically are lightyears infront of them in terms of infrastructure and success (in the last 30 years )
Even their stadium is a crumbling mess, with supporting posts . I mean who still has them ?!  :lol: :lol:

They claim they don't care about us, but that thread on their forum is just attack after attack on our club and town.
Maybe it makes themselves feel better typing that tripe from their bed sit hovels in page hall .

I mean has anyone drove round Sheffield? My god it's grim in places.

Nah, I just get the impression that if your from Sheffield, have intelligence and the correct number of fingers, then you support united .
If you were bullied, and have 6 fingers then you support wendies with chips on their shoulders .
Maybe that's why they only get 20000 crowds, they need to save room for the chips .

Backward, uneducated no marks .
You'll feel at home then reading all that :•)

Yogi

« Reply #9 on August 12, 2021, 01:21:36 pm by Yogi »
Im a fairly realistic type. I take things as I see them and ive never read so much non-sense... LOL

:blink:

Good luck for the game on Saturday, lads.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2021, 05:10:07 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
   A game I refuse to go to and give any money to financial cheats gets that off my chest.
 much fancied to go back to the Championship first time Wendies will be licking their lips  taking us on,a team in a complete rebuild period, and injuries and Covid taking its toll on an already small squad.
  On the face of it their supporters will be looking at this game as a three points in the bag game.
 Looking at their side with luminaries such as Bannan and Hutchinson at the heart of it  that who are probably on imaginary wages ( well as far as their owner is concerned they are fantasy he doesn't pay them it's easy) on more between them than the whole of our squad.
  So let's look at the reason they are playing against us in the junior league, Oh it's because nobody else wants them, they have been poor for the last three seasons  in the Championship and the way their club runs it finances should not be even in the EFL if they were Chester or Hereford they wouldn't be.
  So what chance has little old Doncaster got in this game?I would say about even, based on the fact they have like us played two games, have yet to score a goal, are a side that over the last few seasons are used to losing games and have that mentality, and a manager that is not the brightest tactical brain on the planet.
  Whether the Wendies players outside the first team squad have worked it out yet to get out of there or stagnate in the short time he has been there is questionable, but will eventually undermine the spirit in the club make no mistake.
 Back to us, we are miles off a finished article, Saturday we were poor, but we can't say they didn't try, and last night we were better, not great, but better as the game went on and with one or two starting to show their worth, and seemingly have no shrinking violets like last season when effort wise we were pathetic after December with no character at all in the side, this side has reversed that trend and at least play with energy.
   The win in the penalty shoot out last night I thought could be a turning point both on and off the field of play, and it taking part at our end contributed greatly.
   The Keeper was fantastic, in fact both were making some great saves,but that was the first time in a long time the players and supporters became one, only a small band of 300ish but what an outpouring of joy, and pride in the team. and the team I am sure were aware of what wearing the shirt means to the supporters and now know that as long as they give their best, the supporters will get right behind them, carry that into Saturday and the game will not be easy for them, a side who are a big name and small in stature as a club being dragged in the gutter.
  Are you going?
  Lot's to discuss about this game, lot's to discuss about the team, please have your say. Wendies fans welcome.

Seriously, Selby, do you really think that the Walsall game could be a turning point? Only 2 matches into the season and we scrape a win on penalties in the first round of the League Cup? Don’t get me wrong, I welcome a win no matter what the circumstances! I just can’t see how that game, only the second of the season, could be a turning point. On what do you base your theory?
Only asking!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2021, 05:30:11 pm by danumdon »
  Are you going?

Seriously, Selby, do you really think that the Walsall game could be a turning point? Only 2 matches into the season and we scrape a win on penalties in the first round of the League Cup? Don’t get me wrong, I welcome a win no matter what the circumstances! I just can’t see how that game, only the second of the season, could be a turning point. On what do you base your theory?
Only asking!

I don't see why tues night cant be considered a turning point, in whatever guise they come i would be happy to accept.

This outfit is still in its infancy in development terms, if covid and injuries let us have a fair crack at the swine i think we can grow into it.

I think if we can get anywhere near the caliber of loaness being touted to add to the squad, with the return of our injured forward line to complement i can see what RW is trying to achieve and think he has more than a fighting chance to get there.

the7hills

« Reply #12 on August 12, 2021, 05:37:47 pm by the7hills »
Just had a read on their forum.. Oh this is brilliant. Talk about taking boat out.. caught us some reyt nippers!  :woot:

Definitely deserve an applause for the amount of garbage sprouted on a single thread. Now, there’s a lot to digest, but the main bits I got from that are as follows..

Love the name Wendies. Rotherham. Aids. Human Police Horse. Dogging mate. Constipation? Dem Blades (obsessed). And a special mention to that legend James Coppinger! (Respectfully renamed Crappinger - creative)

Love there’s so much effort slamming Doncaster itself when, as a few pointed out, we have plenty of Wednesday fans from Donny! Oh yes, there’s a few brain cells missing! Outstanding (Clickbait)  :kiss:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 12, 2021, 05:39:02 pm by selby »
  Wilts, it might have been only Walsall but I was there and can honestly say that it was the first time our supporters and team have enjoyed the moment since Charlton.
 Not many of us there some listening will have given it up and then had the same experience. It is the first time the Doncaster supporters have left a ground with a smile on their face since last Christmas, and they and the team enjoyed the moment together, and we have found a new hero in the goalkeeper. It's a small beginning admitted, but  a start and a win is a win mate and the team worked through a sticky start to the season to get it.
  Only a start, lots to put right as the manager says, but it could be a start to better things, let's hope eh, and certainly don't knock it half the teams in the first round would have liked to be in the next round draw  like us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 12, 2021, 07:43:18 pm by scawsby steve »
  Wilts, it might have been only Walsall but I was there and can honestly say that it was the first time our supporters and team have enjoyed the moment since Charlton.
 Not many of us there some listening will have given it up and then had the same experience. It is the first time the Doncaster supporters have left a ground with a smile on their face since last Christmas, and they and the team enjoyed the moment together, and we have found a new hero in the goalkeeper. It's a small beginning admitted, but  a start and a win is a win mate and the team worked through a sticky start to the season to get it.
  Only a start, lots to put right as the manager says, but it could be a start to better things, let's hope eh, and certainly don't knock it half the teams in the first round would have liked to be in the next round draw  like us.

Brian, which ground did we leave with a smile on our faces last Christmas? LOL.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 12, 2021, 08:32:50 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Selby my friend how dare you call Shed Wednesday financial cheats .....  you should know there history before you make such claims you are totalling understating the goings on

this (below) was a great takeover that got announced -- the players even wore the shirts with "eastern european " "graphiti on them"

trouble is as i researched the bloke was borrowing money at "14%" and  that was that  the takeover never happened

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/sheffield-wednesday/news/sheffield-wednesday-confirm-takeover_159236.html

then Mandaric managed to get the "good old Coop" to "write off millions" of pounds of debt

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/255140-co-op-bank-write-off-%C2%A317-million-football-debt/

quote from someone on this site

" If newspaper and media reports are to be believed the co-op bank has agreed to write off £17 million pounds of debt for sheffield wednesday fc.

In these hard times when people are losing their homes and struggling to pay their debts due to the recession this seems a strange move.

The country is in a mess hard times are ahead and the banks are giving money away to football clubs. Surely that money could have gone to better use.
"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:39:31 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 12, 2021, 08:49:38 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Good stuff, Selby and danumdon! Whether Walsall is the ‘turning point’ we shall see in the next few weeks/months. Like you, I don’t care how we win, and it’s the wonderful feeling after, that stays with you, which is something special!…until the next game, that is!

UTR

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 13, 2021, 03:28:16 pm by steve@dcfd »
With the signing of Galbraith we can put out eleven players.
It looks like Horton or  John will be left back
We’ve got 3 for the centre three
A selection of 3 out of five for the front three.

We should have 5 subs but could be seven if Rowe and Ravenhill are on the bench.

Definitely out are the three long term,  Smith and Seaman out for three games and Greaves will miss this game and possibly Tuesday.

No more to go out on loan until squad size improves according to Richie.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 13, 2021, 03:37:22 pm by RoversAlias »
If Rowe is out and Bostock can play then I think it'll be this tomorrow.

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
R. Williams
John

Galbraith
Bostock
Close

Barlow
Bogle
Cukur

Subs: Jones, Blythe, Horton, Ravenhill, Gardner, E. Williams

If we can keep it tight and get some good chances on the break, you never know. We might surprise Wednesday.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 13, 2021, 03:52:45 pm by karldew »
Gardner for bogle and swap with Galbraith

If Rowe is out and Bostock can play then I think it'll be this tomorrow.

Dahlberg

Knoyle
Anderson
R. Williams
John

Galbraith
Bostock
Close

Barlow
Bogle
Cukur

Subs: Jones, Blythe, Horton, Ravenhill, Gardner, E. Williams

If we can keep it tight and get some good chances on the break, you never know. We might surprise Wednesday.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Midfield looks good now. Clearly still light up top but it is what it is.  I'd not be surprised to see Gardner out wide and Bogle up top. I'm sure Bogle and Bostock will have something to prove in this one.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 13, 2021, 03:56:31 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Personally with the players we have at present I would love to see this formation
Dahlberg
Williams Anderson John
Knoyle Bostock Galbraith Close Rowe/Horton
Cukur Barlow

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 13, 2021, 04:45:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
Looking at Alias eleven players I believe we might play 4231 with Bostock and Galbraith the two
Barlow   Close.  Gardner the three and Bogle to start with Chukur to come on. But hey ho it’s up to Richie who still says in Radio Sheffield interview he wants the loans of winger and Striker but at the moment still negotiating what we have to pay. Then he says he’ll be satisfied with the midfield and have more pace up top. But we’ve got to wait for that.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 13, 2021, 05:23:38 pm by Campsall rover »
Only 1 team under pressure tomorrow and it is that Massive Club in S6 not us.

They are so massive that they are playing in League 1 and are on an equal footing with us.

All the pressure on them and I think we will give them a rude awakening tomorrow. Bring them on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 14, 2021, 12:44:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The odds are against us but it's football and stranger things have happened.

I think the difference is likely to be Bannen who's likely to pull their strings. Maybe much depends on whether Bostock is able to play and make a similar contribution for us.

I just think they will just have the edge with power and pace which will see them run out winners by the odd goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012