Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:14:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Billy 'Ballon-d'Or'?  (Read 6998 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Billy 'Ballon-d'Or'?
« on March 02, 2013, 05:31:33 pm by Dutch Uncle »
As I mentioned in the Lucky Pint thread - He is now our joint topscorer

Time for a more complimentary nickname?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Billy 'Ballon-d'Or'?
« Reply #1 on March 02, 2013, 06:05:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Onionbag Bulger Billy?

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 02, 2013, 06:20:20 pm by Sandy Lane »
Billy shut the front D'or?!!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 02, 2013, 06:20:43 pm by MachoMadness »
Sharp Billy?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 02, 2013, 06:23:30 pm by RobTheRover »
Anyone know where his "headless chicken" celebration comes from?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 02, 2013, 06:27:49 pm by MachoMadness »
Anyone know where his "headless chicken" celebration comes from?

Sure I heard Rob Staton mention it once, according to him it's a reference to something un-broadcastable for what it's worth. Maybe he was tarred and feathered on a stag do or summat.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 02, 2013, 06:40:06 pm by RedJ »
Burger Billy more suitable.

Or Barbecue Bill - and have him cook the burgers during a fan event :thumbsup:

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 02, 2013, 06:50:31 pm by afro goal machine »
The artist formally known as 'barndoor billy' ;-)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 02, 2013, 07:28:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
The artist formally known as 'barndoor billy' ;-)

TAFKABB, I like it :thumbsup:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 02, 2013, 09:52:31 pm by IDM »
Paynter did very well when he came on today, slotted straight in and scored a great goal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 02, 2013, 10:00:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My God but there are some bell ends among Rovers fans.

Bloke behind me in the West Stand never once stopped moaning all the way through the match. Paynter in particular got it in the neck. One hopeful punt forward went way over Paynter on the half-way line and straight onto the centre half's head. Paynter did what centre forwards often do in that situation - jumped up in front of the defender to try to put him off.

d**khead behind me immediately launched into a "Bloody useless Paynter. Put some effort in" diatribe.

Then when Paynter scored a gem of a header, this prick stood there grim faced and refused to clap.

I really worry about how problematic some people's lives must be if this is their response to a performance and a league position like today's.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 02, 2013, 10:36:59 pm by Scooter »
I heard a comment "bloody useless bennett" ! He had been on the pitch 2 minutes and went for a ball which he had no chance of reaching. Hopefully it was someone's (poor) attempt at humour

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 03, 2013, 06:52:09 am by andyst79 »
Paynter gets a lot of undeserved stick , the ball in2 the box by Husband was of the highest quality , pace , power & precision , but it was a great header & that's what he thrives on

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 03, 2013, 11:39:49 am by The Red Baron »

Bloke behind me in the West Stand never once stopped moaning all the way through the match. Paynter in particular got it in the neck. One hopeful punt forward went way over Paynter on the half-way line and straight onto the centre half's head. Paynter did what centre forwards often do in that situation - jumped up in front of the defender to try to put him off.

d**khead behind me immediately launched into a "Bloody useless Paynter. Put some effort in" diatribe.

Then when Paynter scored a gem of a header, this prick stood there grim faced and refused to clap.

I really worry about how problematic some people's lives must be if this is their response to a performance and a league position like today's.

Where do you sit in the West Stand, BST? Where I sit we suffer from some serious moaners. I don't think they'd be happy watching Barcelona at their peak, though.

I thought Paynter was very good when he came on- night and day from that awful effort he put in at Crawley. Maybe he struggles with a full 90 minutes- just a thought.

Chrisd_123

« Reply #14 on March 03, 2013, 11:51:25 am by Chrisd_123 »
Paynter does get undeserved stick IMO. I think people expect him to be a bit like Billy Sharp, a player who likes to come back and get the ball. When he tries to do that it often doesn't work for him. He's far better when he's in the box. Ok, he can miss them but more often than not this season, if you give him the ball in the box he'll do something.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 03, 2013, 02:07:01 pm by RedJ »

Where do you sit in the West Stand, BST? Where I sit we suffer from some serious moaners. I don't think they'd be happy watching Barcelona at their peak, though.

I thought Paynter was very good when he came on- night and day from that awful effort he put in at Crawley. Maybe he struggles with a full 90 minutes- just a thought.

Let's not forget he got absolutely f**k all service throughout the Crawley match.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 03, 2013, 03:34:57 pm by AbsolutDRFC »
"Bullet header" Billy.......

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 03, 2013, 08:36:20 pm by karldew »
"Lets all do the paynter, lets all do the paynter"

Highlight of the game for me. Be good if everyone did it when he scored.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 03, 2013, 08:42:52 pm by hoolahoop »
I thought Billy Paynter played well ......probably as well as he has all season. Don't let that get in the way of the latest 'scapegoat' though will you or at least some of you. :(
Why do we seem to have this 'scapegoat' mentality every week. Top of the Division, all of the players doing their best and the fluency is improving game by game........we don't need it.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 03, 2013, 08:54:17 pm by mushRTID »
I thought Billy Paynter played well ......probably as well as he has all season. Don't let that get in the way of the latest 'scapegoat' though will you or at least some of you. :(
Why do we seem to have this 'scapegoat' mentality every week. Top of the Division, all of the players doing their best and the fluency is improving game by game........we don't need it.

Who is having a go at him?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 04, 2013, 01:06:50 am by MachoMadness »
When has Billy ever been the scapegoat? In fact I don't think we've had a scapegoat at all this season, apart from Harper and Gary Woods on occasion and they're not really scapegoats as a lot of their criticism is pretty richly deserved. People bemoan that he's missed a few sitters but he's hardly getting Ilunga levels of abuse, generally pretty well liked on here in fact. As this thread demonstrates!

Ilunga though, now there's a scapegoat we can all get behind, the shit bas**rd.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 04, 2013, 03:36:38 am by RoversAlias »
When has Billy ever been the scapegoat? In fact I don't think we've had a scapegoat at all this season, apart from Harper and Gary Woods on occasion and they're not really scapegoats as a lot of their criticism is pretty richly deserved. People bemoan that he's missed a few sitters but he's hardly getting Ilunga levels of abuse, generally pretty well liked on here in fact. As this thread demonstrates!

Ilunga though, now there's a scapegoat we can all get behind, the shit b*****d.

I think both Martin and Gary Woods have become scapegoats a bit in the last year. Saying that I have been one to join in on those two! Not sure we've had an 'undeserved' favourite of the booboys for a while now. People seemed to be against Hayter for a while when we first in the Championship, but besides him I can't think of anyone.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 04, 2013, 03:42:43 am by RedJ »

Ilunga though, now there's a scapegoat we can all get behind, the shit b*****d.

I think both Martin and Gary Woods have become scapegoats a bit in the last year. Saying that I have been one to join in on those two! Not sure we've had an 'undeserved' favourite of the booboys for a while now. People seemed to be against Hayter for a while when we first in the Championship, but besides him I can't think of anyone.

Gillett always got what I felt was undeserved stick.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 04, 2013, 01:43:20 pm by MachoMadness »
I remember being vehemently anti-Hayter for a while, but I wasn't really annoyed with him, more with SO'D for stubbornly playing him as the main striker when we had Heffernan on the bench, even though we only scored about 9 goals before Christmas. Hayter always put a shift in but he wasn't the natural finisher we so obviously needed, which was literally the only reason we were at the bottom. To this day I have no idea why SO'D couldn't see that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 04, 2013, 03:18:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
O'Driscoll was quite bizarre in his obsession that season. When Hayter got hurt, he said in an interview that losing him was a huge blow because he was one player in the squad you felt could go on a run and get you half a dozen goals in 10 games.

As it was, he was left with no option but to finally pick the player who ACTUALLY was the only one in the squad who has done that throughout his career.

I will never quite be able to figure out what was going on there. Hey ho.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 04, 2013, 03:56:45 pm by MachoMadness »
Makes you wonder what might have been if Heffernan had got his chance a bit earlier, because the lack of goals was the only problem we had that season. Our play was sublime, as good as it ever was under SO'D, no one in the league could cope with us up to the edge of the penalty area, and our defence was rock solid. In fact, I seem to remember our defensive record was as good as some of the teams that got in the play-offs because we only usually lost by the odd goal. It was only our truly pathetic goalscoring record that had us rooted to the bottom. When we played Heffernan we went on that truly amazing run and had promotion form for the rest of the season.

When teams talk about the missing piece of the puzzle, they're usually referring to a player they haven't got, not someone who's been inexplicably collecting splinters in his arse the whole time!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 11, 2013, 11:26:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dutch

Thanks to BelleVue Ghost's post earlier, I've finally got your witticism.

'Kin brilliant!

It'll be even better when he scores the winner at Elland Road on the first day of the season next year. We need to get a flag made up on that theme.

DRFC MYERS

« Reply #27 on March 12, 2013, 01:21:36 am by DRFC MYERS »
Still think "super bill" suits nice.. Final game of season everyone in superman fancy dress and put a B on front!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 12, 2013, 01:46:39 am by Sammy Chung was King »
''Billy The Fish'' should be his nickname,because when he's about,the keeper does a lot of ''Fishing of the Ball out of his net''

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 12, 2013, 08:24:21 am by donnievic »
Christ you should try sitting at the back of the south stand near the 2 loonies that stand up there and no crofty it's not you lol,they just spout crap all the game,at times it's just funny but gets on your nerves with the running commentary all the time

TinyPortal © 2005-2012