Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:07:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Club statement - Coventry game  (Read 7205 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Club statement - Coventry game
« on March 13, 2013, 06:53:57 pm by silent majority »
Club Statement

The club are aware of some disappointment amongst our fan base so Doncaster Rovers wish to explain the rationale for the fixture with Coventry City being moved from the 30th March to the 29th March.
Whilst the club acknowledge the change of date is a late one and endeavour never to change the dates of fixtures as late as what has occurred on this occasion, the decision has been made based on the club’s continued focus to achieve promotion back to the Championship at the first attempt.

Following the decision of Swindon Town to move their home fixture with Oldham, which was announced on the 8th March, it was felt from a club perspective that the team could be disadvantaged by playing a day later, away from home at Coventry City.
Therefore with the match against Swindon Town potentially being so crucial to the clubs promotion campaign, the club requested that our fixture with Coventry City also be brought forward by 24 hours.

Whilst the club understand some fans may have made travel and hotel arrangements in advance, it is hoped that fans will understand that the decision has been made for football reasons and that we all share the same goal of promotion back to the Championship.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Club statement - Coventry game
« Reply #1 on March 13, 2013, 07:06:43 pm by pubteam »
Do those who have paid for hotels/travel get a refund if we don't beat Swindon and/or don't get promoted.

;)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 13, 2013, 07:08:30 pm by MrFrost »
Not good enough at all.

The club has had weeks to organise this, and while I haven't made plans as yet to go to Coventry, I know plenty who have and now either face the prospect of losing out on a lot of money if they want to see the game, or not see the game at all.

Those fans should be compensated IMO, as this could have been avoided if enough notice was given.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 13, 2013, 07:13:09 pm by Filo »
Not good enough at all.

The club has had weeks to organise this, and while I haven't made plans as yet to go to Coventry, I know plenty who have and now either face the prospect of losing out on a lot of money if they want to see the game, or not see the game at all.

Those fans should be compensated IMO, as this could have been avoided if enough notice was given.

Do you ever do anything else but whinge and moan?

What if the game was postponed, would you want a refund then?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 13, 2013, 07:16:24 pm by MrFrost »
Not good enough at all.

Do you ever post anything that doesn't moan at someone else?

No thought has been spared for THE FANS, when making this decision. It could have been done when the Swindon game was selected for Sky coverage.

But no, we should never question a decision made by DRFC should we?

pubteam

« Reply #5 on March 13, 2013, 07:26:39 pm by pubteam »
Not good enough at all.

No thought has been spared for THE FANS, when making this decision. It could have been done when the Swindon game was selected for Sky coverage.

We should. But we shouldn't necessarily question all of them, either.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 13, 2013, 07:27:50 pm by Filo »
Not good enough at all.

You`ve questioned it and had a reply, now you`re moaning you want compensation, you don`t just question a decision, you question every decision, I`ve come to the conclusion you`re a serial moaner that does n`t like anyone questioning your moaning activities!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 13, 2013, 07:29:30 pm by MrFrost »
Not good enough at all.

You`ve questioned it and had a reply, now you`re moaning you want compensation, you don`t just question a decision, you question every decision, I`ve come to the conclusion you`re a serial moaner that does n`t like anyone questioning your moaning activities!

I don't question every decision. That's just your ignorant misconception.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 13, 2013, 07:33:29 pm by Filo »
Not good enough at all.

I don't question every decision. That's just your ignorant misconception.

See pubteam`s post, I`m not alone, it looks like you`re in denial :)

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 13, 2013, 07:44:29 pm by donnievic »
Christ get over it these things happen,it was same against Crawley last month we had already paid for the train on the sat and had to re book and I didn't moan about it,you have just got to moan about sumthing each day frosty

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 13, 2013, 07:45:24 pm by wilts rover »
Not good enough at all.

The club is reacting to what Swindon Town did on March 8th so as to not be at a disadvantage - how is that weeks?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 13, 2013, 07:47:48 pm by MrFrost »
Not good enough at all.

The club is reacting to what Swindon Town did on March 8th so as to not be at a disadvantage - how is that weeks?

Why couldn't steps have been taken when the Swindon kick off time was originally brought forward?

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 13, 2013, 07:49:26 pm by Rios »
Well I certainly don't question every decision... and I think Mr Frost has a point which is getting lost in the childish bickering between you.  This whole atmosphere at the moment where any questions or criticism of the club is jumped upon is becoming really tiresome.

I'm not saying that the club aren't right in what they're saying, but if you don't have the foresight to do something about it until the last minute then there are consequences to that... which will be instead be felt by those who've booked expensive travel and hotels in advance.

Changing the date of an away game with two weeks notice is something that Sky would rightly be lambasted for and SM would be right up there "moaning" at them that it wasn't right to treat the fans of the club that way.  IRWT?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 13, 2013, 07:58:42 pm by StocktonRover »
I'm pleased that the fixture has been changed - I cant be bothered to count the number of posters who are dissapointed but even if there are 50 its a tiny percentage of the clubs support.

That doesn't mean that they are not important - every fan is - but if as someone on another thread suggested and the club asked the fans through IRWT, the overwhelming response would have been "great decision to move it for the wider benefit of the club".

We will never know, but had we played on the Sat at Coventry and then lost at Home to Swindon on the Monday, we would then be inundated with complaints that we never brought the Coventry game forward.

Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 13, 2013, 08:01:07 pm by IDM »
I feel for the supporters who have lost out with work/travel/hotel arrangements for this fixture, but as has been said this could also happen for Sky and for postponements like last night. 

I believe the club has done much and more in recent months to engage with the supporters and manage itself better, but occasionally things like this happen.  You can't please everyone all of the time and on this occasion they have put the needs of the team and the promotion chances first.

That does not mean I don't sympathise with anyone put out by the short notice fixture change, and I do believe that those folks have every right to voice their disapproval on here or via any other appropriate forum.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 13, 2013, 08:02:52 pm by bobjimwilly »
I would advise any supporters who have been disadvantaged by this to contact the club, as I'm sure they will help out where possible

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 13, 2013, 08:11:27 pm by Rios »
I would advise any supporters who have been disadvantaged by this to contact the club, as I'm sure they will help out where possible

A voice of sanity in amongst a chorus of madness...

That does not mean I don't sympathise with anyone put out by the short notice fixture change, and I do believe that those folks have every right to voice their disapproval on here or via any other appropriate forum.

That's what I was getting at, not the actual decision (which I actually agree with) but the constant harranging of anyone perceived as "moaning".  What did MrFrost think his post would achieve?  A complete reversal of decision or full compensation for those who've already paid?  Of course not, but talking to your "mates" about your misfortune or just saying out loud that you think it's wrong shouldn't be a hanging offence.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 13, 2013, 08:15:09 pm by MrFrost »

A voice of sanity in amongst a chorus of madness...

That's what I was getting at, not the actual decision (which I actually agree with) but the constant harranging of anyone perceived as "moaning".  What did MrFrost think his post would achieve?  A complete reversal of decision or full compensation for those who've already paid?  Of course not, but talking to your "mates" about your misfortune or just saying out loud that you think it's wrong shouldn't be a hanging offence.

I think, following the moving of the Crawley game for Sky (which the club had no control of), with many fans being out of pocket, a bit more consideration and notice could have been given.
It seems to be a reaction to Swindon doing the same thing with their game. Maybe a bit of common sense should have been used and moved the game when the Swindon fixture was selected for TV coverage. It's not rocket science.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 13, 2013, 08:43:10 pm by Viking Don »
Strange indeed, why would Swindon moving their game effect us? I thought we were supposed to be focused on us and our game, are the players really that daft? Course not, so why the lame excuse? There's another reason and I don't care what it is as I'd made arrangements to go to the game but can't now. Never mind, but I feel a bit sorry for anyone who had a hotel booked.

EDIT Oh I see, one day difference ah....Got the wrong end of the stick I see why now, and yes agree so ignore that rubbish I just posted.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:48:58 pm by Viking Don »

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 13, 2013, 09:05:31 pm by Mr1Croft »
Strange indeed, why would Swindon moving their game effect us? I thought we were supposed to be focused on us and our game, are the players really that daft? Course not, so why the lame excuse? There's another reason and I don't care what it is as I'd made arrangements to go to the game but can't now. Never mind, but I feel a bit sorry for anyone who had a hotel booked.

EDIT Oh I see, one day difference ah....Got the wrong end of the stick I see why now, and yes agree so ignore that rubbish I just posted.

You shouldn't have made the edit and see who agreed before saying it was 'rubbish'...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 13, 2013, 09:25:02 pm by silent majority »
Well I certainly don't question every decision... and I think Mr Frost has a point which is getting lost in the childish bickering between you.  This whole atmosphere at the moment where any questions or criticism of the club is jumped upon is becoming really tiresome.

I'm not saying that the club aren't right in what they're saying, but if you don't have the foresight to do something about it until the last minute then there are consequences to that... which will be instead be felt by those who've booked expensive travel and hotels in advance.

Changing the date of an away game with two weeks notice is something that Sky would rightly be lambasted for and SM would be right up there "moaning" at them that it wasn't right to treat the fans of the club that way.  IRWT?

Rios,

Of course you're right, I would certainly be doing that, and as far as I'm aware I'm the only one who spoke to the club and complained today. But we did discuss the rights and the wrongs of this decision and Gavin, as usual, was understanding of how the fans feel, he certainly made a commitment to avoid this situation in the future.

The problem with constantly berating the club, any club even, for its mistakes does not encourage them to change things for the better in anyway. At some point you have to work together to improve the overall situation for specific fans and fans in general, and in that way you make progress. There is no right and wrong decision here, whatever the club did it would have the potential to be both of those. The club have been very courageous in their commitment to IRWT, certainly more adventurous than any other club I can think of, however they are not perfect, a point we can all agree on.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 13, 2013, 09:32:09 pm by BobG »
Am I reading this right? Some people are actually going to book a hotel room, in BRENTFORD for after the match? Kings bloody Cross is less than an hour away. The M1 is hardly any further.  I suppose somebody might have been planning to make a Bank Holiday weekend of it in London, but if there is someone like that, what's the odds? It's still the same weekend.

Somebody is moaning for the sake of moaning....

BobG

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 13, 2013, 09:34:56 pm by silent majority »
Bob,

We're talking about the Easter weekend and Coventry. The game has been moved from the Saturday to Good Friday because Swindon have done the same thing, who happen to be our opponents on Easter Monday.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 13, 2013, 09:36:37 pm by BobG »
I know SM. It's all the same Bank holiday weekend surely?

Cheers

BobG

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 13, 2013, 09:39:32 pm by donnievic »
Not good enough at all.

Why couldn't steps have been taken when the Swindon kick off time was originally brought forward?
because we wasnt at a dis advantage until Swindon changed their game on 8th march

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 13, 2013, 09:41:22 pm by MrFrost »
Not good enough at all.

because we wasnt at a dis advantage until Swindon changed their game on 8th march

Someone could have had the insight to switch the game still. Most other games that weekend are on Good Friday.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 13, 2013, 09:49:48 pm by donnievic »
Surely being the away side we can only ask?? Think we have only played twice on a Good Friday in last 20 year maybe wrong but won't be far out

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 13, 2013, 09:54:04 pm by donnievic »
Bob,

We're talking about the Easter weekend and Coventry. The game has been moved from the Saturday to Good Friday because Swindon have done the same thing, who happen to be our opponents on Easter Monday.
think I'm with you SM,lost me but will deffo have what ever your drinking bob lol

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 13, 2013, 09:56:59 pm by MrFrost »
Surely being the away side we can only ask?? Think we have only played twice on a Good Friday in last 20 year maybe wrong but won't be far out

Obviously, that would be the case.

And I can see the logic behind the change. Unfortunately, it's pissed people off.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 13, 2013, 10:04:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Nowt wrong with this decision. Shows ruthlessness. Well done Rovers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012