Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:04:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: That Inter v Spurs game  (Read 3068 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
That Inter v Spurs game
« on March 14, 2013, 08:50:03 pm by not on facebook »
Some thing i dont quite understand

Spurs v inter 3-0 90mins

Inter v Spurs 3-0 90mins.....

.....extra time 1-1 which means 4-4

But Spurs go Throu to which i assume on the away
Goal rule????

But surely Spurs have had an extra 30mins play as the away team,Hence to say they can play for a score draw in extra time and go Throu.

I Cant see the Logic,as it seems to me inter have got ROUGH end Of the stick.

Or do i miss something?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
Re: That Inter v Spurs game
« Reply #1 on March 14, 2013, 08:54:20 pm by ponte_ricky »
i still struggle to get my head round the away goal rule

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 14, 2013, 08:56:13 pm by Filo »
I thought Inter we more than compensated by the complete homer of a ref, he did n`t give Spurs anything all night!

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 14, 2013, 08:59:53 pm by not on facebook »
For sure spot kicks would have Been more fair?

I Cant for life Of me workout why the away goal rule
Carrys This.

How does it come about that Spurs v inter is the first
Game,Hence addvantage to Spurs as it was to how things panned out tonite?

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 14, 2013, 09:13:06 pm by The L J Monk »
If being at home is an advantage, you could argue Inter got an extra 30 minutes of this.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 14, 2013, 09:14:54 pm by Filo »

Carrys This.

I think being at home first is decided on where you finish in the group stages

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 14, 2013, 09:15:12 pm by hoolahoop »
I agree with you , everyone considers the game to be a 90 min. affair so counting the 30 mins. of extra time in favour of Spurs is illogical to me too.
They had a leg each, resulting in the same amount of away goals in normal time.........it's ridiculous and yes either a penalty shoot out or a next goal wins system would have been fairer.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 14, 2013, 09:25:56 pm by not on facebook »
Quote from: oslorovers link=topic=238129.msg318497#msg318497

date=1363294793

So it must be based on final group standings Then.

As first in group A Will play 2nd in group B???

But if Thats the case When Spurs beat Lyon in previous round,iam certian they allready knew that they  would be playing  inter or whoever they was up against in previous round.

Fcuk it This is doing me head in

Carrys This.

I think being at home first is decided on where you finish in the group stages

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 14, 2013, 10:09:55 pm by donnievic »
I agree with you , everyone considers the game to be a 90 min. affair so counting the 30 mins. of extra time in favour of Spurs is illogical to me too.
They had a leg each, resulting in the same amount of away goals in normal time.........it's ridiculous and yes either a penalty shoot out or a next goal wins system would have been fairer.
agree but on the other foot how about inter millan having extra 30 mins playing at home to score more

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 15, 2013, 10:35:07 am by hoolahoop »
agree but on the other foot how about inter millan having extra 30 mins playing at home to score more

True but I think the pychological advantage for Spurs was knowing that a goal would mean they needed 2 goals. The pressure was on the home side imo. However I see your argument too.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 15, 2013, 10:45:08 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
The away goal rule is a bit of a shambles in my opinion and should be scrapped.  As the OP said, Spurs had an extra 30 minutes of 'Away time' compared to Inter. 

Draws should just go to extra time and pens.

Still glad Spurs went through though - always want the english team to win

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 15, 2013, 10:55:37 am by DonnyNoel »
I think it follows the logic that being at home is the advantage so Inter have the advantage for an extra 30 mins in the tie.

That said I think the away goals rule is pretty outdated now. Prior to 2000 there was a real focus on the home team to attack and the away team to defend and not even try and nick one. Since the counter attacking revolution we've seen over the last few years I think teams approach ties differently and are just as likely to score away than at home.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 15, 2013, 11:07:20 am by not on facebook »
Never took into account that inter had 30extra mins
Of home addvantage to finish the tie.

So Now after taking that on board iam more confused.

Anyone recall that yank sit com from early 1980s

S O A P

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 15, 2013, 01:11:06 pm by jonnydog »
the thing is, lots of people think the penalty shoot out way of deciding the fixture is unfair. So the question is, IS there a fair way of deciding a tied fixture at the end of 90 minutes?

I always thought the golden goal rule was the fairer way of settling it myself!!

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 15, 2013, 07:50:17 pm by RedRover45 »
the thing is, lots of people think the penalty shoot out way of deciding the fixture is unfair. So the question is, IS there a fair way of deciding a tied fixture at the end of 90 minutes?

I always thought the golden goal rule was the fairer way of settling it myself!!
Highest number of corners gives the team attacking most the advantage ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 15, 2013, 08:27:37 pm by IDM »
Not corner count - could be a meaningless stat where one team by chance has loads of corners that come to nothing where the other is dominant but hardly has any?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 15, 2013, 10:01:46 pm by donnievic »

Highest number of corners gives the team attacking most the advantage ?
no chance look at our games at tranmere and notts county.sumthing like 32-2 corners

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 15, 2013, 11:38:32 pm by BobG »
And you would end up with professional corner stealing too... Now that WOULD be boring!

Still, something has to be done. I know. How about having a replay at a neutral ground?!

BobG

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 16, 2013, 12:15:11 am by RedRover45 »
And you would end up with professional corner stealing too... Now that WOULD be boring!

Still, something has to be done. I know. How about having a replay at a neutral ground?!

BobG

That brings back nice memories Bob. Our first ever penalty shoot out against Lincoln at the City Ground Nottingham in the League Cup 1st round. Think it was 76-77 from memory.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 16, 2013, 01:56:36 am by BobG »
It was RedRover. And I was there! About 3,500 in the crowd. Our lot were behind the goal the pennos were taken. Mental. It was the first ever penalty shoot out anywhere in this country actually - not just one that involved the Rovers.  I wish it had never been invented now though - although despite winning, Liverpool fans night prefer it to tossing a coin!

Cheers

BobG

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 16, 2013, 03:23:02 am by Mustapha-Dump »
Does that mean rovers won the first ever penalty shoot out in this country or have I misread?
For what it's worth I think if the game is level after 2 legs and still level after the away goals rule, then extra time should be a clean slate, 0-0 no away goals rule, simply whoever wins over 30 minutes goes through.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 16, 2013, 06:54:12 am by RedRover45 »
It was RedRover. And I was there! About 3,500 in the crowd. Our lot were behind the goal the pennos were taken. Mental. It was the first ever penalty shoot out anywhere in this country actually - not just one that involved the Rovers.  I wish it had never been invented now though - although despite winning, Liverpool fans night prefer it to tossing a coin!

Cheers

BobG

Cheers

BobG

Not quite Bob, the first ever League Cup shoot out was in 1975 between Darlington and Sheffield Wednesday. The first ever one in England incidentally was in the 1970 Watney Cup when Man Utd beat Hull and a certain G. Best scored the first ever one.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 16, 2013, 09:27:38 am by RedJ »
I reckon it should be like in the Rugby World Cup (or similar). Half an hour of extra time played under normal conditions (i.e. no away goal) and then 10 or 15 minutes with the golden goal, and then if it's STILL a tie, penalties.

But I understand the players might be knackered by that point :laugh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012