Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:48:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 26168 times)

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #180 on April 14, 2021, 12:28:24 pm by 5 on Tour »
SM I think only one gamble has been taken recently and it wasn’t by the fans. The board took a gamble, lost and must now face up to the fans being displeased with the situation.

We all accept that the board didn’t pick Butler thinking he would fail. However, they picked him and he has. The fault lies with the board and not AB as he shouldn’t have been given the job in the first place. If it was 3-4 games before the season ends and we are going to finish 12th regardless then I doubt anyone would much care but we were in the play off fight when he took over. In 2 games time we could be closer to the relegation zone than the playoffs. We are currently the most off form team from any pro league in the top 5 countries in Europe.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on April 14, 2021, 12:28:37 pm by Fal »
Can’t believe we’re just going to see the season out like this while waiting for people to send a CV in. So inflexible! If that’s the price for stability and a well run club so be it but sometimes you think just why

What are you expecting though?

We rush through a signing of a manager, so we can throw him in to the last few games in a forlorn attempt to do what exactly? And then we saddle the new manager with a bunch of loan players that will be gone at the end of the season, they carry on losing and the new manager must wonder what the hell he's done.

It just doesn't make sense.

No, much more sensible to attract and find the right manager, let him build his squad over the summer and start again next season.

Nope SM I your a club really wanting promotion you act quickly to get someone in place.promptly to give us the best chance to do that.

No defending the club on this I'm afraid. They have well and truly f****d this season up.

Even with 8 games to go there is a long shot someone new would get the points needed to get into the playoffs.

What have the board done?

Accept that being beaten every week and doing a young managers reputation no good at all is perfectly OK.

No excuse for this at all. Im genuinely quite disgusting at the clubs approach

So, in summary, you're asking the club to do exactly what I outlined above and bugger all the consequences?

Even now you're suggesting we just grab hold of a manager, throw him in the deep end and see what happens over the next 8 games, in the forlorn hope that this bunch of half interested players will respond and deliver the promotion that we would all like to see.

Not going to happen.

It seems to me that your the type of gambler who's stood at the end of the roulette table, having had a long streak of good wins, is now ignoring the run of losses that your luck has delivered and wants to throw the last of your mortgage money on a few turns of the whee,l in the hope that you can come out of this feeling good about yourself.

With all due respect SM, a lot of other clubs have replacements lined up quite quickly. I seem to recall when I think SOD went it was announced immediately that Saunders was taking over on the same day.

There is no excuse for not having a plan B when Plan A isn’t working.

Hasn’t Phil Brown just taken over Southend again in the hopes to get them out of relegation?

Right now the club are putting AB in a horrible situation, the issues may likely not be his fault but he is the one getting the blame and could affect his future aspirations aswell as his own mental health.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on April 14, 2021, 12:28:52 pm by River Don »
Parkinson anyone.....?

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-ex-sunderland-boss-parkinson-is-leading-contender-for-doncaster-rovers-job/

Given the recruitment system we have, there's no way he could be considered a leading contender.

I imagine he's throwing his hat in the ring with this article, letting it be known he wants the job.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on April 14, 2021, 01:02:18 pm by godlike1 »
Going by that comment you clearly think all I ever do is knock the club.

I actually defend them resolutely in many cases

Can’t believe we’re just going to see the season out like this while waiting for people to send a CV in. So inflexible! If that’s the price for stability and a well run club so be it but sometimes you think just why

We rush through a signing of a manager, so we can throw him in to the last few games in a forlorn attempt to do what exactly? And then we saddle the new manager with a bunch of loan players that will be gone at the end of the season, they carry on losing and the new manager must wonder what the hell he's done.

No, much more sensible to attract and find the right manager, let him build his squad over the summer and start again next season.

Nope SM I your a club really wanting promotion you act quickly to get someone in place.promptly to give us the best chance to do that.

No defending the club on this I'm afraid. They have well and truly f****d this season up.

Even with 8 games to go there is a long shot someone new would get the points needed to get into the playoffs.

Accept that being beaten every week and doing a young managers reputation no good at all is perfectly OK.

So, in summary, you're asking the club to do exactly what I outlined above and bugger all the consequences?

Even now you're suggesting we just grab hold of a manager, throw him in the deep end and see what happens over the next 8 games, in the forlorn hope that this bunch of half interested players will respond and deliver the promotion that we would all like to see.

Not going to happen.

It seems to me that your the type of gambler who's stood at the end of the roulette table, having had a long streak of good wins, is now ignoring the run of losses that your luck has delivered and wants to throw the last of your mortgage money on a few turns of the whee,l in the hope that you can come out of this feeling good about yourself.

Maybe if they did that now, yes it would be a gamble. But what have Portsmouth done? Mmmmmm exactly that isn't it?with managers experienced in league 1 and the championship. Its not a revolutionary concept and has been known to work. Look at how many times big Sam's or Neil warnock are brought into clubs (I know we wouldn't have gone those names but you get my point)

What is really annoying me is this seemingly patronising approach being that "we know better than everyone else" by the club. the situation changed when DM left and they should have adapted the process to suit. Be it something like Portsmouth or similar. I can't say if it would have worked but it would have backed up their investment in the team over Christmas. Give AB a couple of games to cover during the process, get some more experience etc but not throw the poor lad to the wolves like they have.

On top of this they've essentially wasted the money from BWs sale (im guessing) on a team that can't fight its way out of a paper bag under the new regime. Yes it may have been the same under someone other than Andy but I'd be saying, can't fault the club, they tried everything they could.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on April 14, 2021, 01:09:08 pm by nortikorner »
silent majority

well did you not do that with Andy Butler

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on April 14, 2021, 01:12:30 pm by dickos1 »

Not going to happen.

I understand what you’re saying martin but both Portsmouth and charlton did this and both clubs have saved their seasons.
I’m pretty sure if we’d have appointed Adkins or the cowleys 6 weeks ago our season wouldn’t have turned into the disaster it now has.
Someone has to take responsibility for that mistake

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on April 14, 2021, 01:16:43 pm by eastender »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on April 14, 2021, 01:27:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
silent majority

That's worked well, let's do it again!! :silly:

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on April 14, 2021, 01:29:36 pm by vaya »
silent majority

Probably as good a reason as any not to do it again.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #189 on April 14, 2021, 01:37:59 pm by DRNaith »
Boateng is a youth coach at Villa. Someone putting 2+2 together with the Henshall connection I feel.
Another "devout Christian". I think I've had my fill of those managing Rovers  :(

Any other group, other than Christians, and people would be up in arms about that statement.

Why is it OK to decide to rule out all Christians based on the actions of one (or more)?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #190 on April 14, 2021, 02:07:17 pm by silent majority »
Well I'm not going to spoil this thread by quoting everybody who has responded to me, but I do want to make a couple of points in defence of the club.

Firstly, AB had been shadowing DM all season, he'd stated his ambition was to move into management and the club were assisting him by giving him the Belles job and allowing him to work with the club on the men's side.

You may remember that when DM had to isolate because of Covid it was AB that took over. We won that game. So, in terms of having a plan B just in case things went wrong then this is what a plan would look like?

DM dropped us in the sticky stuff in a very short period of time, literally just a couple of days. The plan was to then offer the position to AB, and his first couple of results were positive, no significant outpouring of grief then by DRFC supporters.

But then things started to slide, and so in hindsight what you're suggesting is that a Plan B wasn't enough we needed a Plan C to go with it. And even now I read that we should abandon our process that's worked so well for us previously and parachute in someone to save our season.

Whilst I'm as disappointed as the next DRFC fan that we'll miss out on promotion I'm not prepared to go along with the plan that some on here seem to think we should adopt. And as somebody has already pointed out we didn't do AB any favours by dropping him in the deep end, yet you want us to do it again with another more experienced manager?

I think a step back, consider what's in front of you, and rely on your knowledge that this will work out.  I'm sure by the time we get to the end of the week we'll have a significant number of highly qualified applicants for the job (in fact I already know we have) and that we can pick and choose who we know can help us through this once this season is done and dusted.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on April 14, 2021, 02:12:27 pm by Metalmicky »

I think a step back, consider what's in front of you, and rely on your knowledge that this will work out.  I'm sure by the time we get to the end of the week we'll have a significant number of highly qualified applicants for the job (in fact I already know we have) and that we can pick and choose who we know can help us through this once this season is done and dusted.

I'd agree with that...... my only hope is that the process means the new man/woman is in place well before the START of pre-season, and not a week before the season starts...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on April 14, 2021, 02:15:13 pm by silent majority »

I'd agree with that...... my only hope is that the process means the new man/woman is in place well before the START of pre-season, and not a week before the season starts...

Appoint on the 11th May is my understanding.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on April 14, 2021, 02:26:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Too late to parachute someone in now so might as well stick with the plan. Your last paragraph is right for the situation as it is. Most of the disagreement comes from what should have happened when Moore left

Again it's hindsight but Butler was plan A when Moore left not B so we're not looking at a plan C.

The whole throwing a manager in at the deep end part only applies to Butler because he had no experience and was recently a team mate. How would Adkins, for instance, have been dropped in at the deep end? He'd have been given a brilliant chance of chasing promotion given our position and games in hand.

We have a process for appointing managers which is fair enough. But clearly even if we waited for applicants and started it, as we now have, the day Moore left it would have potentially taken too long and meant the season fizzled out. We have a process but it has to be acknowledged that other clubs acted quick spoke to managers who's record is very good (why wait for a CV it's public information) and saved their seasons.

For all the processes positives the negatives also have to be acknowledged. Where we are now it's fine to take our time. The seasons done we'll be lucky to get a point so why rush. But when Moore left we had a lot to play for that can't be ignored.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on April 14, 2021, 03:06:37 pm by 5 on Tour »
SM.

“Rely on your knowledge that this will work out”.

The knowledge in front of me is as follows. DM was in charge, AB shadowing. Ok so far. AB takes over for 1 game - not really a benchmarking test. DM returns following 1 game. DM continues his job but win run and performances stop and we begin to struggle. DM goes to Wednesday. Board follow “the process” to see who will take us to the top 6 finish they desire. Having reviewed process they appoint a man with a grand total of 1 game in professional football management(with the full time coach on the blower). We win 2 games. We then fall apart to an extent that no-one anywhere can believe. The players give up(a couple haven’t). AB openly states he will never questions players commitment and then does so 6 days later. We then begin to look for a new man/woman but won’t “rush” into anything.

So my question to you is why the new process is going to be any more successful than the previous process? As the knowledge quite clearly shows that the process hasn’t worked. Is something being changed to stop it failing so catastrophically again?

Fans are allowed to question the club and it’s not because we aren’t real supporters and it’s not because we hate the club or the board or AB or the players. It’s because we care and we want to see it succeed(Gibson is excluded from this as he is just a complete muppet).

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on April 14, 2021, 03:39:08 pm by Metalmicky »
I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Board followed 'the process' in appointing AB...  Perhaps they were trying to keep some continuity and decided that if the chose to go down 'the process' route it may take a few weeks to find and appoint a new man - so they decided to try and maintain stability and chose AB.  I think that the Board have showed (in their last three full-time appointments) that they have a good selection process and that it has worked successfully.

I guarantee that if we had swiftly appointed manager following DM's departure and it had failed, there would be plenty lined up to ask why they had rushed into things and not undergone due process...... a no win situation really.

What's done is done IMO - we were let down by DM - who we all thought was here for the long run.  The Board took what they considered the best option at the time and this has proved to be wrong - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but I'm sure it was done with the hope that it could stabilise and galvanise the squad behind AB...   

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on April 14, 2021, 04:03:06 pm by godlike1 »
What's done is done IMO - we were let down by DM - who we all thought was here for the long run.  The Board took what they considered the best option at the time and this has proved to be wrong - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but I'm sure it was done with the hope that it could stabilise and galvanise the squad behind AB...   

I agree. I will have to agree to disagree with sm on this and leave it at that.

Seasons a right off now so I'll wait to see who they choose and players brought in to try and start the new season with fresh hope

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on April 14, 2021, 04:11:22 pm by wilts rover »
I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Board followed 'the process' in appointing AB...  Perhaps they were trying to keep some continuity and decided that if the chose to go down 'the process' route it may take a few weeks to find and appoint a new man - so they decided to try and maintain stability and chose AB.  I think that the Board have showed (in their last three full-time appointments) that they have a good selection process and that it has worked successfully.

I guarantee that if we had swiftly appointed manager following DM's departure and it had failed, there would be plenty lined up to ask why they had rushed into things and not undergone due process...... a no win situation really.

Which of course it did for the first two games. Which people conveniently forget.

Every manager has to start somewhere and at some time, it's just a shame it hasn't worked out for Andy. Was it his fault, was it the players, was it a bit of both, I guess we will have to wait for the biographies to come out.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #198 on April 14, 2021, 04:15:37 pm by silent majority »
SM.

So my question to you is why the new process is going to be any more successful than the previous process? As the knowledge quite clearly shows that the process hasn’t worked. Is something being changed to stop it failing so catastrophically again?

I'm not sure what you mean here. We agree that the process for identifying suitable candidates works, yes? After all the last two produced some good football and had us challenging towards the top of the table, which was their brief.

The previous manager to those was identified and should have been a success, unfortunately what we couldn't predict is that he wouldn't take the job seriously enough.

If however you are referring to the previous two managers leaving us then I'm not sure how that could be predicted in any process. What you can do is make changes to their contract which would attempt to dissuade them from being poached, and I'm sure that DRFC will be looking at that.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #199 on April 14, 2021, 04:39:40 pm by DRNaith »
It is a bit of a catch 22 situation, having managers poached.

It's as if some people would purposely choose to have an ugly girlfriend because their mates had taken their previous two girlfriends off them.

Short of tying a manager down to a much longer contract, there's not much else that could be done and the longer contract would mean we were either stuck with a manager through thick and thin, or having to have a whip 'round to pay them off if we want rid of them.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #200 on April 14, 2021, 04:45:38 pm by silent majority »

I agree. I will have to agree to disagree with sm on this and leave it at that.

Seasons a right off now so I'll wait to see who they choose and players brought in to try and start the new season with fresh hope

It's not clear as to what you are disagreeing with me on.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on April 14, 2021, 05:06:36 pm by River Don »

The only inconsistency really is in not clearly appointing AB as a caretaker until the end of the season before due process. Which is where they are with it now. It seems he's on a six month contract and so appointed on a trial basis with the option to extend.

That was fair enough to be honest, he's ambitious but a beginner being asked to takeover a difficult situation. I think they needed to show a level of goodwill towards him.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #202 on April 14, 2021, 05:21:58 pm by ravenrover »
Lets be sensible about this, does anyone think an Adkins or The Cowleys or even a Klopp or a Pep could turn our season round with the players that we have when DM jumped? We played some good stuff at the start of the season but lets face it we got lucky with quite a few of those wins, despite what we think our defence was often very last ditch to say the least. and DM knew it in my opinion hence his speed in jumping ship before his house of cards came tumbling down. Teams have found us out, get in our face and boss midfield which allows them to get at our back 4 which has now proved to be very brittle. What's done is done our season has bombed not through any fault of Butler in my opinion the rot had already set in,we are just too soft.
All we can hope is that the owner backs the new manager, which I'm sure he will, in re-building the squad not just the 11 who make up the team on matchday. Come August when hopefully we are back watching at The KM we will have reason to look forward to a challenge for promotion in 2022

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #203 on April 14, 2021, 05:23:45 pm by dickos1 »
My only point and I think the powers that be will probably agree now is that they should have invited applicants when Moore left, butler would’ve been in prime position but we could’ve saved this season by appointing a manager once we knew butler had started to struggle.
We were in a better position than charlton and Pompey when Moore left they both appointed experienced managers that we could’ve appointed. They saved their season we couldn’t/can’t as it’s too late, we cocked it up.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #204 on April 14, 2021, 05:29:16 pm by ravenrover »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on April 14, 2021, 05:30:44 pm by Move DRFC »
Too late to parachute someone in now so might as well stick with the plan. Your last paragraph is right for the situation as it is. Most of the disagreement comes from what should have happened when Moore left

Again it's hindsight but Butler was plan A when Moore left not B so we're not looking at a plan C.

The whole throwing a manager in at the deep end part only applies to Butler because he had no experience and was recently a team mate. How would Adkins, for instance, have been dropped in at the deep end? He'd have been given a brilliant chance of chasing promotion given our position and games in hand.

We have a process for appointing managers which is fair enough. But clearly even if we waited for applicants and started it, as we now have, the day Moore left it would have potentially taken too long and meant the season fizzled out. We have a process but it has to be acknowledged that other clubs acted quick spoke to managers who's record is very good (why wait for a CV it's public information) and saved their seasons.

For all the processes positives the negatives also have to be acknowledged. Where we are now it's fine to take our time. The seasons done we'll be lucky to get a point so why rush. But when Moore left we had a lot to play for that can't be ignored.

Spot on

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #206 on April 14, 2021, 05:38:01 pm by dickos1 »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?
3 weeks from the day Moore left would take you to around the 21st March,
Around the same time charlton appointed Adkins, and Pompey appointed the cowleys.
Plenty of time to save the season

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #207 on April 14, 2021, 06:01:29 pm by Lesonthewest »
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27451623

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

This will no doubt change a million times in the next 3 weeks but from just those names I'd only take Richie Wellens, Daniel Stendel or Paul Tisdale. Nigel Clough would fit us well too, who isn't on the list.
can’t see tisdale getting it with him only just taking on an advisory role at colchester

That’s only till the end of the season.
I demand Danny Wilson being on the list, it's not the same without him!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on April 14, 2021, 06:06:26 pm by Jonathan »
An interesting point to note. A week or so ago it was Portsmouth, Charlton and Sunderland that were held up as the examples of clubs that appointed an experienced manager to save their season. Now that Sunderland have lost a couple it’s just Portsmouth and Charlton. But if Sunderland win a few on the spin then they can be held up as an example to follow again.

What can we learn from this? Appoint a manager that wins. People on here will want another manager when he doesn’t.

The Butler decision was fine when he won the first two games. Then when our form dropped the Board should’ve done something different. It’ll always be that way it seems. I already feel for the next manager. They’ll only be the right choice when we win games.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on April 14, 2021, 06:16:47 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27451623

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

This will no doubt change a million times in the next 3 weeks but from just those names I'd only take Richie Wellens, Daniel Stendel or Paul Tisdale. Nigel Clough would fit us well too, who isn't on the list.
can’t see tisdale getting it with him only just taking on an advisory role at colchester

That’s only till the end of the season.
I demand Danny Wilson being on the list, it's not the same without him!

I'm saying a (Mary's) prayer that it's not him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012