Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:04:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 26163 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #210 on April 14, 2021, 06:23:01 pm by scawsby steve »
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27451623

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

This will no doubt change a million times in the next 3 weeks but from just those names I'd only take Richie Wellens, Daniel Stendel or Paul Tisdale. Nigel Clough would fit us well too, who isn't on the list.
can’t see tisdale getting it with him only just taking on an advisory role at colchester

That’s only till the end of the season.
I demand Danny Wilson being on the list, it's not the same without him!

I'm saying a (Mary's) prayer that it's not him.

F*cking brilliant.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on April 14, 2021, 06:54:12 pm by Petche »

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

This will no doubt change a million times in the next 3 weeks but from just those names I'd only take Richie Wellens, Daniel Stendel or Paul Tisdale. Nigel Clough would fit us well too, who isn't on the list.
can’t see tisdale getting it with him only just taking on an advisory role at colchester

F*cking brilliant.

Younger folk on here won't get that

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on April 14, 2021, 07:06:07 pm by PDX_Rover »
Be the light in my eyes...

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on April 14, 2021, 07:31:03 pm by Retdon1 »
SM.

So my question to you is why the new process is going to be any more successful than the previous process? As the knowledge quite clearly shows that the process hasn’t worked. Is something being changed to stop it failing so catastrophically again?

I'm not sure what you mean here. We agree that the process for identifying suitable candidates works, yes? After all the last two produced some good football and had us challenging towards the top of the table, which was their brief.

The previous manager to those was identified and should have been a success, unfortunately what we couldn't predict is that he wouldn't take the job seriously enough.

If however you are referring to the previous two managers leaving us then I'm not sure how that could be predicted in any process. What you can do is make changes to their contract which would attempt to dissuade them from being poached, and I'm sure that DRFC will be looking at that.

In what way did Fergie not take the job seriously enough ?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on April 14, 2021, 07:40:19 pm by scawsby steve »

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

F*cking brilliant.

Petche, surely you're not suggesting that I'm not young?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on April 14, 2021, 07:45:31 pm by GazLaz »
Regarding player/dressing room behaviour, we’ve been lucky to have Cops around as a respected senior man for a lot of years. This will be a big void to fill off the pitch more than on it I think.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on April 14, 2021, 08:22:13 pm by the vicar »
What about Chris Wilder maybe not but would it be worth a punt

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on April 14, 2021, 08:40:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
More chance of Gene Wilder taking the job.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on April 14, 2021, 08:50:58 pm by sheffield exile1 »
SM.

So my question to you is why the new process is going to be any more successful than the previous process? As the knowledge quite clearly shows that the process hasn’t worked. Is something being changed to stop it failing so catastrophically again?

I'm not sure what you mean here. We agree that the process for identifying suitable candidates works, yes? After all the last two produced some good football and had us challenging towards the top of the table, which was their brief.

The previous manager to those was identified and should have been a success, unfortunately what we couldn't predict is that he wouldn't take the job seriously enough.

If however you are referring to the previous two managers leaving us then I'm not sure how that could be predicted in any process. What you can do is make changes to their contract which would attempt to dissuade them from being poached, and I'm sure that DRFC will be looking at that.

In what way did Fergie not take the job seriously enough ?

Just left, and as well said earlier, Colchester away- never came to us to clap us never a true manager with DRFC at heart. Always a true Posh at heart. Just want a way out of this mess.....

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on April 14, 2021, 08:54:53 pm by Jonathan »
The fixation with an experienced manager is interesting. Any experienced manager that we can attract will have recently failed somewhere. We have to accept that. Even Chris Wilder (who there’s literally no chance of) has a very recent spectacular failure to turn around a dreadful run of form. So either we trust an experienced failure to learn, or we take a shot with a less experienced manager. That’s what we did with McCann and Moore, both of whom had limited experience - McCann with an average record in his short time at Posh and Moore with a good record from his short stint at WBA. We gave them a chance and they did well.

We’ll have to rationalise our expectations somewhere. We’re not going to get an experienced manager that wins every week at this level of football. There’ll have to be a calculated risk. I think we took one with Butler, but the Board have been lambasted for it.

The knives will doubtless be out for whoever we appoint. I was underwhelmed at the choice of McCann at the time. He turned out to be our best manager since O’Driscoll and delivered one of the most enjoyable seasons. I’ll back whoever we choose this time, but people need to be realistic.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on April 14, 2021, 08:55:18 pm by sheffield exile1 »
More chance of Gene Wilder taking the job.

Young Frankenstein - Moore?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on April 14, 2021, 09:03:17 pm by ravenrover »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?
3 weeks from the day Moore left would take you to around the 21st March,
Around the same time charlton appointed Adkins, and Pompey appointed the cowleys.
Plenty of time to save the season
Why take the least time? If it was 4 weeks it would have been the 28th a week less to save the season, really? With these players? They've shown that they are too flakey
Just out of interest lets see how many weeks it takes to appoint the new manager
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:05:24 pm by ravenrover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on April 14, 2021, 09:07:19 pm by drfchound »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?
Around the same time charlton appointed Adkins, and Pompey appointed the cowleys.
Why take the least time? If it was 4 weeks it would have been the 28th a week less to save the season, really? With these players? They've shown that they are too flakey
Just out of interest lets see how many weeks it takes to appoint the new manager

I saw a post earlier today that says we are planning to appoint the new manager on 11th May.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on April 14, 2021, 09:09:46 pm by Janso »

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

F*cking brilliant.

This has gone well over my head.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on April 14, 2021, 09:11:59 pm by 5 on Tour »
SM.

I’m a little confused now. Are you saying that the process wasn’t applied to AB? That he was just handed it for the rest of the season without a plan and expected to either sink or swim?

As you refer to the previous manager(s) as leaving for other clubs which AB obviously hasn’t.

It’s this ambiguity that makes people feel like the board rushed into the AB decision or that he was used as a cost cutting measure.

I know this forum has a lot of yes men/sheep who only see light and they’re more than welcome to that view. I don’t think that most of the ones asking questions care any less for the club but merely want to understand how/why things have been allowed to go so wrong.

I get jumped on by the same 4 or 5 “fans” every time I question anything that doesn’t involve praising the board but it’s genuine concern that makes me and a few others ask.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on April 14, 2021, 09:16:12 pm by essexrover »
Boateng is a youth coach at Villa. Someone putting 2+2 together with the Henshall connection I feel.
Another "devout Christian". I think I've had my fill of those managing Rovers  :(

Any other group, other than Christians, and people would be up in arms about that statement.

Why is it OK to decide to rule out all Christians based on the actions of one (or more)?
People CAN be up in arms if they want. But I didn't rule out ALL Christians. Just the "devout" ones ! :)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on April 14, 2021, 11:05:37 pm by RoversAlias »
Curtis Woodhouse stated on Twitter that he has applied for the job, but that he knows he won't get a look in.

A very minor bit of info but hadn't seen it discussed on here so thought I'd mention!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on April 14, 2021, 11:34:20 pm by dickos1 »

Even if a new manager came in on the 28th, we would’ve been only outside the playoffs on goal difference with 11 games to go.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on April 15, 2021, 12:37:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
An interesting point to note. A week or so ago it was Portsmouth, Charlton and Sunderland that were held up as the examples of clubs that appointed an experienced manager to save their season. Now that Sunderland have lost a couple it’s just Portsmouth and Charlton. But if Sunderland win a few on the spin then they can be held up as an example to follow again.

What can we learn from this? Appoint a manager that wins. People on here will want another manager when he doesn’t.

The Butler decision was fine when he won the first two games. Then when our form dropped the Board should’ve done something different. It’ll always be that way it seems. I already feel for the next manager. They’ll only be the right choice when we win games.

It isn't just about winning games though is it? Something far more fundamental has occurred than us just losing. we have simply fallen apart as a side. The attacking verve that we showed even when struggling for results (such as the second half when we absolutely battered a Hull side who have since picked up 26 points from 11 games, conceding just 5 goals) has vanished. We are bereft of anything remotely resembling the approach that we had then, even when struggling to get results.

I can cope with us being outplayed and losing. That's in the nature of football. What I can't accept is the lack of anything resembling a structure to our play, culminating in that humiliating third goal last night. That wasn't about losing. It was about us coming apart as a football team.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on April 15, 2021, 02:51:21 am by godlike1 »
What's done is done IMO - we were let down by DM - who we all thought was here for the long run.  The Board took what they considered the best option at the time and this has proved to be wrong - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but I'm sure it was done with the hope that it could stabilise and galvanise the squad behind AB...   

I agree. I will have to agree to disagree with sm on this and leave it at that.

Seasons a right off now so I'll wait to see who they choose and players brought in to try and start the new season with fresh hope

It's not clear as to what you are disagreeing with me on.

Having AB a man with no football league  management experience as plan B should and when  DM did leave. Given where we were in the league the board should have been more flexible about the position we were in and whether AB was in fact the right choice on his own. This is when they could have said, let's appoint someone until the end of the season and ask AB to look after the team in an interim period, say 2-3 games.

It would have let AB get more experience,  and allowed some similar but shorter recruitment period.

Would give who ever came in, presumably with more league experience than AB a massive incentive to get the job full time if we went up or were close to.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on April 15, 2021, 06:35:04 am by PDX_Rover »
Why did Moore get the heave ho from WBA?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on April 15, 2021, 06:42:09 am by GazLaz »

Because he wasn’t getting the best out of the players.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #232 on April 15, 2021, 07:02:06 am by coventryrover »
SM I think only one gamble has been taken recently and it wasn’t by the fans. The board took a gamble, lost and must now face up to the fans being displeased with the situation.

We all accept that the board didn’t pick Butler thinking he would fail. However, they picked him and he has. The fault lies with the board and not AB as he shouldn’t have been given the job in the first place. If it was 3-4 games before the season ends and we are going to finish 12th regardless then I doubt anyone would much care but we were in the play off fight when he took over. In 2 games time we could be closer to the relegation zone than the playoffs. We are currently the most off form team from any pro league in the top 5 countries in Europe.
living life with hindsight is an amazing thing.

Can't remember many dissenting voices at the time of Andys appointment

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on April 15, 2021, 07:17:48 am by EasyforDennis »
What's done is done IMO - we were let down by DM - who we all thought was here for the long run.  The Board took what they considered the best option at the time and this has proved to be wrong - I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but I'm sure it was done with the hope that it could stabilise and galvanise the squad behind AB...   

I agree. I will have to agree to disagree with sm on this and leave it at that.

Seasons a right off now so I'll wait to see who they choose and players brought in to try and start the new season with fresh hope

It's not clear as to what you are disagreeing with me on.

Having AB a man with no football league  management experience as plan B should and when  DM did leave. Given where we were in the league the board should have been more flexible about the position we were in and whether AB was in fact the right choice on his own. This is when they could have said, let's appoint someone until the end of the season and ask AB to look after the team in an interim period, say 2-3 games.

It would have let AB get more experience,  and allowed some similar but shorter recruitment period.

Would give who ever came in, presumably with more league experience than AB a massive incentive to get the job full time if we went up or were close to.

I think we need a bit of realism here. No decent manager is going to come in and take a job until the end of the season. We are not WBA we are Doncaster Rovers. The club appointed the right person at the time, maybe they should also have brought in an assistant and maybe they shouldn't have said AB has got the job until the end of the season but nobody complained at the time. In fact many welcomed AB's appointment. The person to blame for this is the one who signed so many young inexperienced midfield players on loan and two imitation strikers.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on April 15, 2021, 07:33:09 am by coventryrover »

Even if a new manager came in on the 28th, we would’ve been only outside the playoffs on goal difference with 11 games to go.

dog without a bone.       Didn't hear you complaining when AB won the first two matches.

What's done is done.   In my opinion we were not good enough to go up.    Some of those wins were fortunate and we had plenty of frailties.

The criticism of the board is unwarranted.   They did what they thought best when dropped in the brown stuff.  DM happened so quickly.

Move on.  Build a new squad.  Get a positive manager in.support the club

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on April 15, 2021, 07:54:44 am by PDX_Rover »

Because he wasn’t getting the best out of the players.

Funny that... they were going great until Christmas, then their form dropped off...

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on April 15, 2021, 08:30:08 am by jamesrover17 »
Curtis Woodhouse stated on Twitter that he has applied for the job, but that he knows he won't get a look in.

A very minor bit of info but hadn't seen it discussed on here so thought I'd mention!

I can probably understand why he wouldn't get it, what part of the criteria does he hit, did he not just get sacked by 10th place NPL team Gainsborough Trinity?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on April 15, 2021, 08:34:31 am by the vicar »
Micky Melon has ruled himself out, as he has to much to do with Dundee u. He said if he doesn’t talk about the speculation people that he is interested in the job and he so is not
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:37:43 am by the vicar »

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #238 on April 15, 2021, 10:31:05 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

I can probably understand why he wouldn't get it, what part of the criteria does he hit, did he not just get sacked by 10th place NPL team Gainsborough Trinity?

He left Trinity. Mutual agreement. Tbf when he went to Gainsborough they were rock bottom. Does well with money lower down the pyramid. That's about it!

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on April 15, 2021, 11:23:24 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »

Richie Wellens
5/1
Micky Mellon
7/1
Andy Butler
8/1
Neil Harris
10/1
James Coppinger
12/1
Daniel Stendel
16/1
Nicky Butt
16/1
Paul Tisdale
16/1
Roy Keane
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Phil Brown
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Mike Newell
40/1

F*cking brilliant.

This has gone well over my head.

Danny Wilson (not the manager) sang Mary's Prayer. I reckon you'd recognise the song.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012