Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:29:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 26171 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #240 on April 15, 2021, 11:47:57 am by DonnyOsmond »
Heckingbottom now favourite.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #241 on April 15, 2021, 12:20:24 pm by River Don »
Heckingbottom now favourite.

Mentioned in an online piece giving a rundown on the runners and riders.

A bloke who is likely to be looking for a new position shortly and has likely applied and wants it to be known.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on April 15, 2021, 12:38:07 pm by MachoMadness »
I don't think there's much point looking at betting odds until applications close. That's when the shortlist will be drawn up and info may leak out then. Until then it's just pure guesswork.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #243 on April 15, 2021, 12:42:40 pm by Jonathan »
As you say, all speculation at the moment as applications will still be coming in. But I think on the face of it Heckingbottom would be a decent appointment for us.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #244 on April 15, 2021, 12:46:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I'd be happy with him tbh

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on April 15, 2021, 12:51:52 pm by DonnyNoel »
I don't think there's much point looking at betting odds until applications close. That's when the shortlist will be drawn up and info may leak out then. Until then it's just pure guesswork.

Not to mention that the market is probably so small that a cuple of bets on an outsider would probably move them up the odds.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on April 15, 2021, 01:15:36 pm by EasyforDennis »

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on April 15, 2021, 01:29:40 pm by Prez »
Quit Barnsley (his hometown club)  to take over at Leeds.

Another one who would jump ship if he does well for us.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on April 15, 2021, 01:34:02 pm by MachoMadness »
Realistically every manager is at risk of being poached if they do well with us. Maybe not always at the first job, and maybe we can write things into their contract to protect ourselves, but if a big enough club comes in they will jump. The only solution is to hire a crap manager who does badly!

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on April 15, 2021, 02:23:08 pm by Petche »
Quit Barnsley (his hometown club)  to take over at Leeds.

Another one who would jump ship if he does well for us.

If he's done it before and it not work out would he think twice about quitting a good job though? Or am I being a little naive?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #250 on April 15, 2021, 02:40:58 pm by dickos1 »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?
3 weeks from the day Moore left would take you to around the 21st March,
Around the same time charlton appointed Adkins, and Pompey appointed the cowleys.
Plenty of time to save the season
Why take the least time? If it was 4 weeks it would have been the 28th a week less to save the season, really? With these players? They've shown that they are too flakey
Just out of interest lets see how many weeks it takes to appoint the new manager

Even if a new manager came in on the 28th, we would’ve been only outside the playoffs on goal difference with 11 games to go.

dog without a bone.       Didn't hear you complaining when AB won the first two matches.

What's done is done.   In my opinion we were not good enough to go up.    Some of those wins were fortunate and we had plenty of frailties.

The criticism of the board is unwarranted.   They did what they thought best when dropped in the brown stuff.  DM happened so quickly.

Move on.  Build a new squad.  Get a positive manager in.support the club

I said at the time it was naive to appoint him until the end of the season.
Also when Moore left we were told that it had been dragging on for a while and it was no coincidence that our results had dropped off over the last few weeks, as moores head had been turned.
So if we knew that then it wasn’t all short notice

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #251 on April 15, 2021, 02:48:28 pm by MachoMadness »
To be fair it's possible - in fact highly likely - they only found out after the fact that Moore's head had been turned through unofficial channels.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #252 on April 15, 2021, 03:31:33 pm by Filo »
At least the deadline passes before Moore gets sacked

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #253 on April 15, 2021, 03:41:37 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Hi guys, not been on here for a while and sorry to see the way the wheels have come off since DMs move to Wednesday, I really fancied you for play offs at least. I suppose at least it means that when Wanderers confirm promotion this year we’ll be able to settle things next season?

As for your next manager, I suppose it depends what your objectives are. We took a relatively unproven young guy in Ian Evatt because we liked his ambition as well as his football beliefs, instead of plumping for the usual merry go round alternatives. Evatt has built a new side from nothing as well as changes around the academy and  scouting network. So far it’s worked well and the football is brilliant. Our new owners have given Evatt a 3 year contract to get things right and of course from next year we’ll be out of embargo so will be able to pay transfer and loan fees again so hopefully we’ll be able to compete and push for successive promotions back to the Championship. If I were Rovers I’d also look for someone young like that and as a wildcard, I’d have a look at Dean Holden, recently disgracefully sacked by Bristol City. He was a midfielder here at Wanderers then Assistand then manager at Bristol. A lot of us would have liked him at Bolton but the board went for Evatt and it looks like it was the right call. Anyway, I hope you get someone that suits your aspirations and that we can both achieve promotion next season.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #254 on April 15, 2021, 03:57:00 pm by Metalmicky »
I’d have a look at Dean Holden, recently disgracefully sacked by Bristol City. He was a midfielder here at Wanderers then Assistand then manager at Bristol. A lot of us would have liked him at Bolton but the board went for Evatt and it looks like it was the right call. Anyway, I hope you get someone that suits your aspirations and that we can both achieve promotion next season.

Dean Holden has just been appointed as assistant to Michael O'Neill at Stoke.  I also thought of him as a possible candidate.....I guess he still might be.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #255 on April 15, 2021, 04:02:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Let's poach Evatt.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #256 on April 15, 2021, 04:04:16 pm by ravenrover »
But the process would have taken 3 or 4 weeks to appoint a manager if past appointments are anything to go by so what woukd the benefit have been?
Around the same time charlton appointed Adkins, and Pompey appointed the cowleys.
Why take the least time? If it was 4 weeks it would have been the 28th a week less to save the season, really? With these players? They've shown that they are too flakey
Just out of interest lets see how many weeks it takes to appoint the new manager

Even if a new manager came in on the 28th, we would’ve been only outside the playoffs on goal difference with 11 games to go.

dog without a bone.       Didn't hear you complaining when AB won the first two matches.

What's done is done.   In my opinion we were not good enough to go up.    Some of those wins were fortunate and we had plenty of frailties.

The criticism of the board is unwarranted.   They did what they thought best when dropped in the brown stuff.  DM happened so quickly.

Also when Moore left we were told that it had been dragging on for a while and it was no coincidence that our results had dropped off over the last few weeks, as moores head had been turned.
Dragging on? I recall they said it happened rather quickly, approached Friday gone Sunday

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #257 on April 15, 2021, 04:05:34 pm by silent majority »

Dragging on? I recall they said it happened rather quickly, approached Friday gone Sunday

Done and dusted in 72 hours. I'd say that was pretty quick.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #258 on April 15, 2021, 04:10:23 pm by Filo »

He should never have been in charge for the Ipswich game on the Saturday if that was the case, although he probably never said anything about it

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #259 on April 15, 2021, 04:43:13 pm by GazLaz »
Been informed that Heckingbottom was interviewed yesterday. Wouldn’t say it’s from a cast iron source but one that’s been right in the past.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #260 on April 15, 2021, 04:51:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Been informed that Heckingbottom was interviewed yesterday. Wouldn’t say it’s from a cast iron source but one that’s been right in the past.

I don't buy it. I can't see the club making an interview shortlist before all the applications are in, let alone actually conducting any interviews.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #261 on April 15, 2021, 04:55:25 pm by GazLaz »

I don't buy it. I can't see the club making an interview shortlist before all the applications are in, let alone actually conducting any interviews.

I don’t think it’s impossible.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #262 on April 15, 2021, 05:28:19 pm by Wild Rover »
Perhaps he was outstanding candidate of applications received and none mentioned subsequently are expected to be same standard . Bit  like DM was outstanding.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #263 on April 15, 2021, 05:30:17 pm by dickos1 »

At the time though martin you did state that you were glad Moore had left as it had been a massive distraction and when asked if you thought it had effected recent performances you said most definitely.

So from that we can only assume it had been going on for a while

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #264 on April 15, 2021, 05:30:35 pm by silent majority »

Absolutely no truth whatsoever in this.

1st interviews will take place w/com 26th April.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #265 on April 15, 2021, 05:36:30 pm by silent majority »

At the time though martin you did state that you were glad Moore had left as it had been a massive distraction and when asked if you thought it had effected recent performances you said most definitely.

So from that we can only assume it had been going on for a while

Hindsight though unfortunately.

What I did mean was that something had been affecting DM, not sure what it was though.

So, yes I was glad to see the back of him.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #266 on April 15, 2021, 06:11:12 pm by Jonathan »
Heckingbottom and Holden would both be interesting (and not unrealistic) candidates in my opinion.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #267 on April 15, 2021, 06:38:13 pm by redbrez »
Could see Heckingbottom being a favourite if he has applied , but not really taking a liking to him to be honest,  would like to hear tykes view on Heckingbottom.?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #268 on April 15, 2021, 06:39:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Too many vowels in his name for them to understand. You would need to draw a picture of him to show them instead.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #269 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:45 pm by Frankie Rennie »
Let's poach Evatt.

Ha ha, you can certainly try Glyn, you never know your luck?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012