Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:43:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager search  (Read 26160 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: New Manager search
« Reply #270 on April 15, 2021, 07:09:40 pm by NickDRFC »
Can anyone point me in the direction of the latest odds? Would be interested to see.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #271 on April 15, 2021, 07:17:12 pm by Lesonthewest »
Heckingbottom was my choice a while ago, would be a good fit in my opinion, well that's if Stendel doesn't apply.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #272 on April 15, 2021, 07:31:12 pm by tyke1962 »
Could see Heckingbottom being a favourite if he has applied , but not really taking a liking to him to be honest,  would like to hear tykes view on Heckingbottom.?

My own opinion is that Hecky is a better coach than he is a manager .

When things are running against him he's not shy to use the media to blame everyone else .

My biggest gripe with Hecky was the way he told the media following a defeat at Rotherham pre season that the players he'd had recruited for him weren't good enough for the championship .

These would be the replacements for Connor Hourihane , Sam Winnall , James Bree , Marc Roberts , Andy Yiadom , Marley Watkins and Josh Scowen who were sold in January or earlier in that summer window .

Admittedly he had the heart removed from a very good championship team but he was well aware of the club's model when he took the job on .

You could understand his frustration but I didn't particularly like the way he went about it .

It didn't exactly give the young new recruits embarking on a championship season much confidence .

That said he didn't do a bad job and we only actually fell in to the relegation places in the championship after he left for Leeds following further squabbles over recruitment in the January window .

He failed spectacular at Leeds with almost the same squad Bielsa inherited , I think Hecky won three games in four months at Elland Road .

He pulled no trees up at Hibernian either in the SPL .

I personally believe you can do better than Hecky but that's just my opinion .

As a number two I think he'd be fine but as I say as a manager I think there are too many question marks .

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #273 on April 15, 2021, 07:33:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
Heckingbottom sounds better than we’re fecking bottom.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #274 on April 15, 2021, 07:37:50 pm by River Don »
“I think British football is more intense and more physical. Also, the referees act differently. I like it a lot.

“The focus is more on how to be better than the opponent without trying to get easy free-kicks or penalties. The focus was more on the game itself.

This old article makes me think, if only. He really would be ideal.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/daniel-stendel-hungry-his-next-challenge-2996472

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #275 on April 15, 2021, 07:45:11 pm by swintonrover »
Absolute curveball here; Guerino Capretti. He manages Verl in the German 3rd division, they had previously been a middling non league team, two seasons as manager, 2 promotions, now they sit 6th, but have scored the most goals.
Apropos of nothing, but it's not the merry go round, and random foreign managers seems to be working out at Oakwell.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on April 15, 2021, 07:54:47 pm by tyke1962 »
“I think British football is more intense and more physical. Also, the referees act differently. I like it a lot.

“The focus is more on how to be better than the opponent without trying to get easy free-kicks or penalties. The focus was more on the game itself.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/daniel-stendel-hungry-his-next-challenge-2996472

Well as I said in my previous post Hecky didn't rate the young group he had recruited for him and yet Stendel turned some of that group in to very good championship players at other clubs today bringing the club in around £15m for an outlay of around £3m .

It goes without saying which Manager I'd be going for if I was one of the Rovers hierarchy .

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #277 on April 15, 2021, 08:13:20 pm by northern soul »
Can anyone point me in the direction of the latest odds? Would be interested to see.

Nick - link is here
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/27451623

Updated

Paul Heckingbottom
10/11
Richie Wellens
7/2
George Boateng
7/1
Micky Mellon
10/1
Phil Parkinson
12/1
James Coppinger
16/1
Keith Curle
20/1
Nicky Butt
20/1
Uwe Rosler
20/1
Andy Butler
25/1

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on April 15, 2021, 08:30:19 pm by NickDRFC »
Thanks

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #279 on April 15, 2021, 08:46:19 pm by PDX_Rover »

Get him called... 0049....

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #280 on April 15, 2021, 09:05:16 pm by since-1969 »
New favourite?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #281 on April 15, 2021, 09:38:20 pm by scawsby steve »

Well as I said in my previous post Hecky didn't rate the young group he had recruited for him and yet Stendel turned some of that group in to very good championship players at other clubs today bringing the club in around £15m for an outlay of around £3m .

It goes without saying which Manager I'd be going for if I was one of the Rovers hierarchy .

Tyke, I think most of us want Stendel, but I doubt that he'll be within our wage bracket.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on April 15, 2021, 10:07:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #283 on April 15, 2021, 10:55:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on April 16, 2021, 07:14:26 am by ian1980 »
I really don’t get why anyone is paying any attention to the betting odds at this stage.

The application date hasn’t even passed yet, so the club will still be receiving more applications so they won’t have even started the shortlist yet

The adds at this stage will be driven by people having an early bet, based on no real facts and names that have been picked up on message forums etc

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on April 16, 2021, 10:26:38 am by Frankie Rennie »
I’d have a look at Dean Holden, recently disgracefully sacked by Bristol City. He was a midfielder here at Wanderers then Assistand then manager at Bristol. A lot of us would have liked him at Bolton but the board went for Evatt and it looks like it was the right call. Anyway, I hope you get someone that suits your aspirations and that we can both achieve promotion next season.

Dean Holden has just been appointed as assistant to Michael O'Neill at Stoke.  I also thought of him as a possible candidate.....I guess he still might be.

Cheers Micky, hadn’t heard that, good for him.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #286 on April 16, 2021, 10:27:15 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I see Aidy Boothroyd is to leave his role as England's U21 manager. Did well at Watford. I wonder if it's taken his interest?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #287 on April 16, 2021, 10:29:11 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I see Aidy Boothroyd is to leave his role as England's U21 manager. Did well at Watford. I wonder if it's taken his interest?

Christ on a bike I hope not! Think the game's passed him by.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on April 16, 2021, 10:31:45 am by vaya »

Christ on a bike I hope not! Think the game's passed him by.

I think he trailed his departure a few weeks ago by throwing his hands in air and arguing the U21 job was pointless as the talent gets hived off into the senior squad.

Frankie Rennie

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on April 16, 2021, 10:40:51 am by Frankie Rennie »
If you want to enjoy your football, don’t employ Phil Parkinson. Mind you it would be interesting to see what would happen if one day you had to play (or not?) your youth team!! To be fair, though it might be purgatory to watch, he could get you promoted. Problem is, like with us, he’d get you relegated again like he has all four Championship teams he’s been at.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #290 on April 16, 2021, 09:42:46 pm by BVB »
Totally irrational and probably culturally incorrect  but I wouldn’t want Parkinson because of his 70’s centre-parting haircut....says “dinosaur” to me on many levels, including football management

Apologies to offended hair purists.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #291 on April 16, 2021, 09:52:36 pm by idler »
Totally irrational and probably culturally incorrect  but I wouldn’t want Parkinson because of his 70’s centre-parting haircut....says “dinosaur” to me on many levels, including football management

Apologies to offended hair purists.

My centre parting is about 4" wide but no offence taken. :(

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #292 on April 16, 2021, 10:32:35 pm by tyke1962 »

Tyke, I think most of us want Stendel, but I doubt that he'll be within our wage bracket.

I wouldn't have thought Big Daz was exactly cheap either .

All I'm saying is that whilst Hecky and Stendel both achieved promotion from league one to the championship at my club the differentials are huge .

Stendel came armed with a playing style that he's very good at making  work .

Hecky bless him is a putting a plaster on the the wound type of man , the stop the rot man , get the results but it's got a very limited time span .

Stendel has vision, a guy that could potentially change the whole club , change its culture for the better .

Without Stendel we wouldn't sit tonight where we do , that's a solid fact .

In my opinion Rovers go for the safe as you were appointment with Hecky or you go with the rock n roll Stendel who shakes the whole thing up .

There wouldn't have been a capitulation this season under Stendel at Rovers as you've witnessed I can honestly say that .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on April 16, 2021, 10:51:45 pm by River Don »
Tyke,

I do see that Stendel brings with him a complete vision of how football should be played.

Don't doubt the appeal of that amongst us, since the Rovers have experience of a manager in this mold before, with Sean O Driscoll.

If the obstacles could be overcome, there's no doubt it would be an exciting prospect. I do think he would suit the set up at the Rovers very well too. It does look as though the obstacles are large though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:04:36 pm by River Don »

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #294 on April 16, 2021, 10:59:22 pm by streathamdave »
Absolute curveball here; Guerino Capretti. He manages Verl in the German 3rd division, they had previously been a middling non league team, two seasons as manager, 2 promotions, now they sit 6th, but have scored the most goals.
Apropos of nothing, but it's not the merry go round, and random foreign managers seems to be working out at Oakwell.
  My curve ball would be Temur Ketsbaia. Improved Georgia when he was manager and seems to have done well elsewhere.  My top pick however would be Brian McDermott.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on April 16, 2021, 11:20:40 pm by tyke1962 »
Tyke,

I do see that Stendel brings with him a complete vision of how football should be played.

Don't doubt the appeal of that amongst us, since the Rovers have experience of a manager in this mold before, with Sean O Driscoll.

If the obstacles could be overcome, there's no doubt it would be an exciting prospect. It does look as though the obstacles are large though.

I take your point RD but this is a risk and reward industry .

There is no getting past that if clubs like ourselves want to progress to a level we desire .

Hecky's safe , he'll do ok .

The question is what's ok ? .

Competitive in league one but as you are ?

Somebody has to come in and get you over the line in league one .

Quite rightly you want to be the championship and in my opinion the financial dice has to be shaken at some point .

I'm not talking stupid money , it's Daniel Stendel not Pep or Klopp .

He's out of work and desperate to get back in and not exactly in the greatest position .

He's in exactly the same position as he was when Hanover sacked him and he took the job at Barnsley .

There's no difference in my opinion .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #296 on April 16, 2021, 11:23:49 pm by River Don »
The difference maybe Brexit and whether or not he would be able to work in the UK now.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #297 on April 17, 2021, 06:20:41 am by PDX_Rover »
I really think we should be banging Stendel’s door down to make it happen. I think he would get the time and love to make something happen.

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #298 on April 17, 2021, 07:06:11 am by redbrez »
I really think we should be banging Stendel’s door down to make it happen. I think he would get the time and love to make something happen.

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Me too
Question for sm , would the board approach stendel ,even if he hasn't applied,, show some interest in that he would be a good candidate?  Especially if he is without a club?
He sounds like the best match by far and sell the dream that he has time to build a great squad.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on April 17, 2021, 07:41:51 am by DonnyOsmond »

Vorsprung Durch Technik!

Me too
Question for sm , would the board approach stendel ,even if he hasn't applied,, show some interest in that he would be a good candidate?  Especially if he is without a club?
He sounds like the best match by far and sell the dream that he has time to build a great squad.

People did say their favourite football to watch was McCanns and Stendel is McCann but more.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012