Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:22:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: People's opinion ?  (Read 7235 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: People's opinion ?
« Reply #30 on August 04, 2013, 08:47:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
What ever is happening behind the scenes for our club to stabilise and move forward we need Unity at the top. I hope there is otherwise it will end in tears and not cheers of last season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 04, 2013, 08:55:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some thing as huge as this needs due consideration and I'm glad TB has said 'hold in a minute', as he is reflecting the same concerns as we are.

At first, probably much like everyone else, when this was first muted, I was excited in not a not bewildered, but the more the events have unravelled and the key players have shown their cards, the excitement and turned to anxiety.

I may be old fashioned but I see us as custodians of the club and I'd like to hand it over to the next generations in a better state than it as when I came in in the late 60s  and to date, we've achieved that mainly in the right way and thanks to John largely for that.

May be the 'younger' folk see it a different way, and want to give it a go. It may be the only chance we ever get to reach the promised land.   

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 04, 2013, 09:05:39 pm by Lifelong supporter »
JR must have been used to dealing with all sorts during his business career and when it comes to caring about Rovers and trying to look after the club's long term interests I would lean towards him rather than TB

Who with McKay started the failed experiment when we were in the championship. This was for the good of the club but the long term was never thought of.

Didn't the other two agree to it then? And when it comes to long term we are still here and back in the Championship. Everyone was wise after the event but I think the experiment was worth a try, maybe in another form. They don't seem to be complaining at Watford.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 04, 2013, 09:10:21 pm by steve@dcfd »
I am in my 60's I want extra investment for my club. I want us to win games at this level and if possible move further. I don't want the manager told which players he must sign that's should be down to him. But the deal with Irish may be very good and if JR has the best interest for the long term future of the club it will a good deal. But why then are there doubts from others.
We don't want divisions at the club all three owners must be together and that message needs transmitting to the owners.

To answer your question LLS I don't know if they agreed, they keep their counsel. But why did they leave the board before eventually coming back. But I want our team to be successful this time in the championship and that can only happen by working together.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:14:45 pm by steve@dcfd »

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 04, 2013, 09:13:34 pm by Al4475 »
My own take on things is that Gavin will be the one (probably alongside Terry) that will keep things real and 'business minded.' I'd love to see us make PL at sometime just to say we had a crack at it but not if the longevity of the club was called into question!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 04, 2013, 09:15:05 pm by CusworthRovers »
This is massive though Steve, sweet jesus I bet a straw poll on here would split us down the middle with all kinds of reasons for yes and no.
Imagine how it must be for the shareholders (esp the big 3). It aint going to be easy to be together as shareholders as they probably have more at stake than anybody

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 04, 2013, 09:22:37 pm by Dagenham Rover »
This is massive though Steve, sweet jesus I bet a straw poll on here would split us down the middle with all kinds of reasons for yes and no.
Imagine how it must be for the shareholders (esp the big 3). It aint going to be easy to be together as shareholders as they probably have more at stake than anybody

I'm sure someone knows how to put it up here

1 Investment at all costs

2 Investment whilst securing  the clubs future as far as possible,( but no guarantees if the investment fails to get us promoted or a stable championship club)

3 Stick as we are and enjoy the roller coaster

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 04, 2013, 09:27:02 pm by bobjimwilly »
Interestingly JR was asked at the AGM on Saturday what the sticking point is between the Keepmoat 2 and JR/The Irish; what was causing the delays? He shrugged and said he wasn't sure?

Whichever side of the fence, if there is a fence, you are on, there MUST be a reason TB and DW aren't signing up to this just yet? And it certainly won't be a financial sticking point.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 04, 2013, 09:30:52 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Interestingly JR was asked at the AGM on Saturday what the sticking point is between the Keepmoat 2 and JR/The Irish; what was causing the delays? He shrugged and said he wasn't sure?

Whichever side of the fence, if there is a fence, you are on, there MUST be a reason TB and DW aren't signing up to this just yet? And it certainly won't be a financial sticking point.

Perhaps they want their investment back, couldn't really blame them

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 04, 2013, 09:48:20 pm by Sprotyrover »
They came back on the scene once the lease was confirmed perhaps they have their own plans for future development?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 04, 2013, 09:52:48 pm by Dagenham Rover »
That as well

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 05, 2013, 07:18:39 am by The Red Baron »
I find myself very torn on this one- as the owners clearly are- but I'm coming to the conclusion that the "status quo" is not an option unless we accept that our future lies outside the Championship. Five years ago with a team that had largely come up with us from League One we held our own for a few seasons. Now, I can't see that being possible. We might just last one season, but not any more.

I'd be very interested to see what-if anything- TB has up his sleeve in terms of new investment. Maybe it won't be as much as the Irish are proposing, but maybe it will be enough, and over a long enough period of time, to see us establish ourselves at this level. Because although we're headed one way only with the "status quo," I firmly believe the wheels came off last time around once we started chasing the Premier League dollar.

Over to you, Terry.

When did we start chasing the Premier League dollar?

When we signed Sharp permanently and suddenly started giving existing players significantly bigger contracts. The aim was to get into the Premier League. Just left us with an unsustainable wage bill.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 05, 2013, 07:44:04 am by Wellred »
I find myself very torn on this one- as the owners clearly are- but I'm coming to the conclusion that the "status quo" is not an option unless we accept that our future lies outside the Championship. Five years ago with a team that had largely come up with us from League One we held our own for a few seasons. Now, I can't see that being possible. We might just last one season, but not any more.

I'd be very interested to see what-if anything- TB has up his sleeve in terms of new investment. Maybe it won't be as much as the Irish are proposing, but maybe it will be enough, and over a long enough period of time, to see us establish ourselves at this level. Because although we're headed one way only with the "status quo," I firmly believe the wheels came off last time around once we started chasing the Premier League dollar.

Over to you, Terry.

When did we start chasing the Premier League dollar?

When we signed Sharp permanently and suddenly started giving existing players significantly bigger contracts. The aim was to get into the Premier League. Just left us with an unsustainable wage bill.

So buying one player for £1m was the plan to get us into the premier league?

Really?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 05, 2013, 08:38:04 am by dickos1 »
It's certainly not the way Swansea did it. They did it by gradual improvement and growth fully backed by the fans and their co-operative.

You can't take recruitment out of the managers hands, and I can imagine X and Y player being recruited against the wishes of the manager and on contracts that Gavin would not normally approve because they don't make prudent business sense. And what would happen, PD and GB would be given their marching orders and before you know it you've got people like O'Leary and Ridsdale at the helm!   

You need a co-ordinated business plan but you can't just chuck £20m at it with proper financial planning and recruitment planning. 

Swansea almost certainly have had monies invested in them, Hugh Jenkins doesn't have the wealth of bramall. And over the last 3 or 4 years they've invested heavily in their squad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012