Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:04:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Perfect Rovers birthday present  (Read 8045 times)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Perfect Rovers birthday present
« on February 20, 2014, 10:29:24 pm by 1879Rovers »
My old man is 80 in a few months. Lifelong Rovers fan from Belle Vue, going to his first game not long after the second world war ended.

I want to do something for him Rovers related.

If you could have the perfect Rovers present (be realistic) what would it be as I am looking for ideas?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Perfect Rovers birthday present
« Reply #1 on February 20, 2014, 11:22:55 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think you should have a word with the club. I think they may be able to organise something special for your father. I recommend you contact shaun.lockwood@doncasterroversfc.co.uk

All the best. 

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 20, 2014, 11:25:02 pm by Draytonian III »
You could hire one of the executive boxes for a match for the end of this season or the beginning of next ,depending on availability and which is nearest to your dad,s 80 th.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 20, 2014, 11:38:16 pm by Muttley »
I reckon a blow job off one of the One Call girls would make an old man very happy.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 21, 2014, 12:35:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Your Dad's served a ''Long Sentence'' 1879,now that's loyalty,i bet he's seen some great players grace The Belle vue turf,and of course The Keepmoat,it would be interesting to talk to long time supporters like your dad,to learn how the game has changed over the years,he'd be ideal for the memories etc that the club are going to use for the museum they are going to create,big respect to him :thumbsup:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 21, 2014, 08:28:58 am by 1879Rovers »
I reckon a blow job off one of the One Call girls would make an old man very happy.

I think it would end his days but what a way to go.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 21, 2014, 08:35:18 am by 1879Rovers »
Your Dad's served a ''Long Sentence'' 1879,now that's loyalty,i bet he's seen some great players grace The Belle vue turf,and of course The Keepmoat,it would be interesting to talk to long time supporters like your dad,to learn how the game has changed over the years,he'd be ideal for the memories etc that the club are going to use for the museum they are going to create,big respect to him :thumbsup:

He has some great stories. His favourite game was probably the 4-3 win over Manchester City.

He is still riled by the fact he missed the 10-0 win over Darlington.

Fair play to him, he still walks around with his Rovers shirt on. He now lives in Skegness, where there is a large amount of Forest and Derby fans but he likes to give as good as he gets.

He still gets over for the odd game and he still loves it and he has his own brick in the Keepmoat Stadium wall outside the club shop.

He introduced me to the club in the 70's and we were regulars on the bus with Ken Avis back in the day. Great as a kid sharing a love with your old man.

He ran his own side at Peglers and we knew people at the club really well. We managed to get a full kit (from about 1978) to use as our kit.

Thanks for your ideas. His birthday is in July so I will be looking to do something in the early season. I am going to get in contact with the club today.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 21, 2014, 08:38:14 am by Filo »

It'd make an overweight 50 year old pretty chuffed as well :)

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 21, 2014, 09:41:44 am by weststander »

He has some great stories. His favourite game was probably the 4-3 win over Manchester City.

Fair play to him, he still walks around with his Rovers shirt on. He now lives in Skegness, where there is a large amount of Forest and Derby fans but he likes to give as good as he gets.

He still gets over for the odd game and he still loves it and he has his own brick in the Keepmoat Stadium wall outside the club shop.

He introduced me to the club in the 70's and we were regulars on the bus with Ken Avis back in the day. Great as a kid sharing a love with your old man.

He ran his own side at Peglers and we knew people at the club really well. We managed to get a full kit (from about 1978) to use as our kit.

Thanks for your ideas. His birthday is in July so I will be looking to do something in the early season. I am going to get in contact with the club today.

Might be a good idea to get him to share his memories with the Rovers Heritage project
 :rtid:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 21, 2014, 11:08:42 am by roversdude »
Top man, I'm sure the club could arrange to have him as guest of honour
Is the museum a goer by the way

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 21, 2014, 11:28:53 am by Jenny »

Listen to Muttley, he knows all about what it takes to make an old man happy.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 21, 2014, 07:59:18 pm by 1879Rovers »
I spoke with the commercial dept today, they were really good with all the deals they could do and they said they may be able to do a little extra for him with him being 80.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 21, 2014, 08:03:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I spoke with the commercial dept today, they were really good with all the deals they could do and they said they may be able to do a little extra for him with him being 80.

Does that mean they're gonna sort out his blow job then?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 21, 2014, 08:05:53 pm by 1879Rovers »

Does that mean they're gonna sort out his blow job then?

No, I am going dressed in disguise as a pensioner for that one.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 22, 2014, 01:45:20 am by Sammy Chung was King »

That's the one game if i could get in a time machine,and go back to see a Rovers game,The Man city 4-3 would be the one i'd pick :thumbsup:

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 22, 2014, 05:32:28 am by PDX_Rover »

He'll likely know Steve Ross, Philsky's Dad - from Peglers. Ask him if he knew Don Cook - who was a great mate of my Dad's and a drinking pal from the Ridgewood. Don was a top man - also Peglers.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 22, 2014, 05:38:01 am by idler »
I left school at Easter 1964 and Don Cook was my first foreman.
Joe Taylor from Lambeth Road was a setter in our area as well, he was a good bloke.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 22, 2014, 06:57:18 am by 1879Rovers »
I would expect my old man would know most people from his days at Peglers, he worked there for 42-years. My old man worked in the furnaces. Funnily, he was a driver and lost his licence for a year, which when you think in the 1950's, he must have been a naughtly lad.

My mum worked at Peglers and said, I can get you a job for a year until you get your licence back and he never left. I worked there for a few years. I had been left for a number of years and I would still find brass splinters in my feet!

I usually speak to him on a Saturday morning as we discuss today's game and the racing, so I will ask him. Quite funny really, my mrs always says, 'how are your parents?' when I get off the phone. I usually say, 'I don't know, we were talking about Rovers'.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 22, 2014, 08:28:16 am by Al4475 »
when I get off the phone. I usually say, 'I don't know, we were talking about Rovers'.

I know exactly where you're coming from there - the guy who was best man at my wedding is a Man City fan - we met each other at University and as we've all gone our separate ways from Uni Ross (and his wife Kate) are the only one's I'm still in touch with.

Every weekend we ring either before or after the footy and discuss the weekend's two games (ours and City's.)

My wife says to me on a regular basis, "How's Kate?" (currently struggling with leukemia) "How's the Girls?" "How's work?" and my answer is always the same - "Forgot to check we were talking Rovers and City - I'll ring him later and find out!"

Crazy!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 22, 2014, 10:55:25 am by 1879Rovers »

He'll likely know Steve Ross, Philsky's Dad - from Peglers. Ask him if he knew Don Cook - who was a great mate of my Dad's and a drinking pal from the Ridgewood. Don was a top man - also Peglers.

Just had a chat with my old man. He knows everyone that has been mentioned from Peglers. He says he was big mates with Cliff Ross (Steve's brother), who also lived in Belle Vue.

EpsTheMightyReds

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 22, 2014, 11:11:34 am by EpsTheMightyReds »
Sounds like there might be a Peglers reunion on the cards. My Dad also worked 40 plus years there, is a lifelong Rovers fan and still gets to as many games as he can, although his knees are pretty much knackered. He also ran a team in the 70's and 80's.
I've heard him mention Steve Ross over the years so I'm sure he'll know your Dad

twinkletoes

« Reply #21 on February 22, 2014, 12:09:41 pm by twinkletoes »
This post has been so funny in parts. Really made me laugh!! Thanks guys.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 22, 2014, 12:30:09 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I went to Peglers from school in 1972, for five years. 'Bar Autos' in the 'Brown & Sharps' machine shop.  Didn't know at the time we'd finish up with a Rovers strike force named after the machines I worked on.  My foreman of the day was Brian Keyworth, used to stand on the Pop Side in the day.

The bloody brass splinters were murder.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 22, 2014, 02:10:18 pm by idler »
I was there a month and then off for a month with a sceptic thumb. the first thing I was given when I started was a home made pair of tweezers, everybody used to make them from hacksaw blades.
I only stayed a year, then about 3 years later I did a couple of years at Paragon Plastics on Cross Bank which was owned by Peglers.
My dad worked in the buffing shop for 30 odd years as did my eldest brother.
My brother Al who is 76 this year worked in the foundry/shell mould from 1959 until his retirement in 2003, he must know your dad.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 22, 2014, 02:54:06 pm by 1879Rovers »
My old man was in the foundry feeding the furnace

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 22, 2014, 03:01:30 pm by PDX_Rover »
Is this why they're called the One Call Girls?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 22, 2014, 03:06:59 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Is this why they're called the One Call Girls?

They were originally called the Perfect Rovers birthday present One Call Girls, but that was too much of a mouthful.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 22, 2014, 06:25:32 pm by idler »
I was there a month and then off for a month with a sceptic thumb. the first thing I was given when I started was a home made pair of tweezers, everybody used to make them from hacksaw blades.
I only stayed a year, then about 3 years later I did a couple of years at Paragon Plastics on Cross Bank which was owned by Peglers.
My brother Al who is 76 this year worked in the foundry/shell mould from 1959 until his retirement in 2003, he must know your dad.
Yes, my brother said your dad was Pete. He knew him well and I remember him talking to him at the Rovers.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 22, 2014, 07:24:43 pm by 1879Rovers »
Yes, my brother said your dad was Pete. He knew him well and I remember him talking to him at the Rovers.

Yes, my old man is called Pete

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 25, 2014, 09:15:29 pm by 1879Rovers »

Spoke to my old man again tonight. What was the surname? He can't think of an Al.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012