Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:36:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Today's Substitutions  (Read 13940 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Today's Substitutions
« on February 06, 2010, 09:20:39 pm by Wellred »
SOD got it spot on today.
I would love some of the Wilson fans on here could explain to me what he offers the team?
He is slow, cannot pass and hasn't got a clue what to do with the ball when going forward with him nearly always getting caught in possesion as a result.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
Re:Today's Substitutions
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2010, 09:25:17 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Christ I cannot believe I am saying this but I agree word by word your comments Wellred.

We need woods back quick and I was little concerned by the lack of movement up front - Shields not on his game today.

Thought Martis was totally brill today and never put a foot wrong also!

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2010, 09:26:44 pm by phil o sophical »
What doesn.t help Wilsons cause is playing alongside people like Oster and Copps who are comfortable and composed on the ball but i too wouldn,t have him in my team but neither would i boo the likes of him and Guy as is mentioned in another thread

biggle

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2010, 09:29:36 pm by biggle »
Norfolk,

Cant believe you are not joining the Wilson knocker. However just to help you out.............. was he caught any more than Stock or Oster............................. thought not. I am a massive Brian Stock fan , but today he was not at the races.... Copps good for first twenty and last 10.... too many players AWOL today.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2010, 09:31:22 pm by Wellred »
I agree about the booing. I have never been a fan of Wilsons and could say the same about Guy. I would never ever boo a rovers player though no matter how frustrated some of them leave me at times.

hatfield red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2010, 09:32:35 pm by hatfield red »
I do wish people would get off Wilsons back, yes he did make mistakes but so did a few others, the fans favourite Stock did some good things but at times was just as sloppy with his passing. And as for those who left early they missed the best 15 minutes of the game

hatfield red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 06, 2010, 09:34:28 pm by hatfield red »
I do wish people would get off Wilsons back, yes he did make mistakes but so did a few others, the fans favourite Stock did some good things but at times was just as sloppy with his passing. And as for those who left early they missed the best 15 minutes of the game

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2010, 09:36:03 pm by Wellred »
Its not a case of getting on Wilsons back, the bloke tries his best. The problem is he isn't good enough for this level.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2010, 09:38:50 pm by phil o sophical »
I wonder about the people who leave early to \"miss the traffic\" after paying the best part of £20 to be there,do you suppose they would leave the cinema 15 mins before the film finished for the same reason

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2010, 09:40:10 pm by PDX_Rover »
Watched the game on Setanta here - Too many below par performances today. Oster was awful - pissing around far too much.  Coppinger was OK in patches.  Stock was average today.  Shiels was not on his game.  Sharp worked hard - he puts the graft in.  

I thought defensively we were very slack at times (i.e. for the goals) but bizarrely looked solid otherwise.

Sulli made two excellent saves and McAnuff missed a sitter.  We hit the bar twice after we got a goal back, but apart from that.... not good enough.  We made Reading look good.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 06, 2010, 09:41:10 pm by TheRev »
Jeez.........not good enough at this level? Course he isn't. That's why SOD plays him to give the opposition a better chance of beating us  :S

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 06, 2010, 09:46:56 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Wilson has clearly not got the ability at this level but that's why he is with us because of our standing / attendances, in essence a squad player of a bottom champ team / top 1st Div team .
I could not fault his effort at all but woods is technically in a different league to him!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 06, 2010, 09:49:26 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Wellred wrote:
I would love some of the Wilson fans on here could explain to me what he offers the team?
He is slow, cannot pass and hasn't got a clue what to do with the ball when going forward with him nearly always getting caught in possesion as a result.

Cant argue with any of that.

Wilson is so infuriating, totally unwilling to put a foot in for a tackle neither - what does he offer the team?

VikingJames

« Reply #13 on February 06, 2010, 10:35:47 pm by VikingJames »
Wellred wrote:

Agree 100% on Wilson.

Hopefully Woods will be back soon to give us some more energy and drive in the midfield.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 06, 2010, 10:46:15 pm by normal rules »
The game was crying out for a change at half time. Billy looked very lonely up front and was in desparate need of some help. I would have liked to have seen Shiels go off at half time and Hayter come on for a 442 set up. I was surprised and happy with the double substitution but i thought it was too late.

MOM for me was Roberts - good hard working shift he put in.

Wished Chambers would have had a go at goal when he had the chance.The ball opened up for him on a couple of occasions and he just seemed to dwell on it too much/ pass it off to Shiels who looked a bit lost tonight.

Stocky - as much as he is rated he is getting more and more casual on the ball and did not do it for me tonight.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2010, 07:49:19 am by DonnyNoel »
Wellred wrote:
Its not a case of getting on Wilsons back, the bloke tries his best. The problem is he isn't good enough for this level.

Despite defeding Wilson tooth and nail for 18 months now I kind of agree with that. But the real worrying thing is for the past 2 or 3 games he's been better than Stock and yesterday was much better than Shiels as well. Whatever was \"clicking\" earlier a month or two ago isn't clicking now and I don't think much of the blame can be laid at Wilson's feet. Reading got men forward much quicker than us. We play some excellent balls down the channels but then can't do anything with them. We need someone closer to Billy.

The Shining Light

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2010, 09:18:55 am by The Shining Light »
I thought the subs were a good 10 minutes late yesterday, we had not been in it all second half and it took SOD until the 70th minute to change it; you could tell it would be getting on as we had nobody warming up until 65 minutes plus.

Wilson....it's a tricky one. In the light of the current injury situation who else do you bring in? Spicer seems not to be the player SOD thought he was and Woods is injured, I imagine Woods will be a straight swap for Wilson when fit. I think Willo does a job, it doesn't catch the eye but he presses and runs at people, he doesn't have the natural ability of Stock or Oster but he does his best in the role he is asked to play.

This is like the Lewis argument, if he's on the pitch then get behind the lad.

bigdonnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2010, 09:23:58 am by bigdonnyboy »
What a load of tossers you are, Wilson had a far better game than either Stock or Oster in midfield. I have just watch the recording of the game so i suggest you lot do as well and then comment again. I was there unlike a load of the stay at home supporters so ive had a couple of good looks now. In fact i suggest you all have a pen and paper handy as well and note the amount of various stats as the game flows, you may be suprised. Also contrary to tha moanings of the muppets on here i thought we played well for the first 25 mins and with better finishing could have been in the driving seat. Shiels and Coppinger showed a lack of composure in front of goal which is a problem throughout the side at the moment. Osters deliveries were poor and Martis needs games to learn our ways. One good point i read in one of the other posts is the fact that with the return of Stock our form has changed, i totally agree with that as Wilson was doing a good job in midfield and we were wining games, so explain that as well all you footballing geniuses,

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2010, 05:11:34 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Yes, don't think he was worse than anyone else to be honest, but perhaps one of his better games where you know Stock and co have another 3 or 4 gears to go through.

Ability is the point of discussion and for all his huffing and puffing did he alter the game no!

A Copps or Stock or any number of our players do have that little bit of quality which can win games on their day, he simply has not...SIMPLES!!!!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2010, 06:32:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
The problem is not all Wilson's though, it's the combination of him and Stock that is so clearly wrong. I said it some weeks ago and it was underlined again yesterday. 2 players with no pace between them and neither an out and out defensive midfielder and we're in a run of results that may not change until he splits them up. It would appear we're either missing Woods or Gillet, or maybe both of them as all the fluency and understanding we had has seemingly evaporated.

The defence, at times looked like a bunch that had been cobbled together and, to a degree I suppose, it was (with Martis coming back in). At other times of course we were OK but never anything special. SOD needs to get his thinking cap on (and I hope he revises his comments after he's watched it on TV!)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
woods for wilson...
« Reply #20 on February 07, 2010, 06:43:14 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Surely no discussion to be had?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 08, 2010, 07:47:27 pm by DonnyNoel »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:
Yes, don't think he was worse than anyone else to be honest, but perhaps one of his better games where you know Stock and co have another 3 or 4 gears to go through.

Ability is the point of discussion and for all his huffing and puffing did he alter the game no!

A Copps or Stock or any number of our players do have that little bit of quality which can win games on their day, he simply has not...SIMPLES!!!!

If ability is the point of discussion why are you talking about \"that little bit of quality to win a game\"? Its obvious Wilson doesn't have that (with the odd exception like Derby last season) but then neither do many of our other players - ability is related to position and Wilson's ability shouldn't be measured by stepovers or 30 yard volleys. I don't see you criticising full backs for the same things you are criticising Wilson for.

If he scores an overhead kick thats brilliant, but then if he lets the opposition playmaker go twice and we lose 2-1 then he hasn't done his job.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 08, 2010, 08:16:52 pm by rtid88 »
Wilson is a good squad player, I can't see why many people have such a problem with him. He is never go to set a game a light but he does a steady job.

I personally thought Martis was absolutely shite on saturday I can't understand anyones comments on here saying he had a great game. He looked shaky and uncomfortable on the ball and clearly could not  pass the ball long at all. I have no doubt that he will come good and I was excited by his signing but on saturday he was utter poop!!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 08, 2010, 10:13:54 pm by CusworthRovers »
Woods for Wilson on paper sounds great. In reality, I may be proved wrong, but I'm not sure a Woods/Stock combo is ideal, unless Woods changes is game drastically (which he may have the ability to do). Then again, it might just be the answer we are looking for.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 08, 2010, 10:32:32 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I don't mean the technical skills like volleys / step overs etc, most of all it is the mental side, the anticipation and reading of the game you cannot teach those things!
The natural aspects, that give you few more seconds on the ball than other players  but I do admire his work rate but it no good when the brain is two steps behind.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012