Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:16:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chicago and Toronto  (Read 954 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Chicago and Toronto
« on June 17, 2022, 12:39:19 pm by phil old leake »
I’m going on a holiday to the USA and Canada which takes in Chicago and Toronto.  Apart from the obvious can anyone suggest any hidden gems must see/do that aren’t on the usual sight seeing agendas

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Chicago and Toronto
« Reply #1 on June 17, 2022, 06:02:38 pm by Donnywolf »
I've been to both but can't think of anything but what you will already know of

Toronto Blue Jays are my fav Baseball Team so I just had to watch them play ... and the Stadium was immaculate so much so I dropped an onion off my Hot dog and bent down straight away to pick it off the floor

The Ice cream came in Baseball helmet inspired dishes and a lady won a trip to China in a seat draw similar to what the Pukka was at Keepmoat ... and they gave one every home game and that was yonks ago

Doesn't help you I know but I enjoyed the memories

casperjebba

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 17, 2022, 06:56:45 pm by casperjebba »
I live in Toronto. Donnywolf is right the Blue Jays is a good shout for a night out, you should be able to pick up a ticket for about $15 and pretty much sit where you want. Hockey & Basketball season is done and tickets are stupidly expensive anyway, but a game watching TFC at BMO field is a good experience too.

CN Tower, Nathan Phillips Square, Distillery district, St Lawrence Market are the obvious ones. But I would say get a boat from the harbourfront and spend half a day on centre island, thats always a winner. There are water taxis running for about $15 or you could get the city operated ferry which is cheaper, then everyone can travel back on the ferry for free. Don't get persuaded to go Casa Loma with all the other tourists, waste of time, just a big house.

If you go to the falls there is a really nice little village called Niagara on the Lake, that's worth a visit. Tonnes of Vineyards around that area so if you like a vineyard tour...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 17, 2022, 07:10:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Spent a week in Toronto 20 years back. It was so foggy you couldn't see the back of your hand. So I'm bugger all help.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 17, 2022, 07:20:04 pm by phil old leake »
Donny and Casper thanks for the info

We are going to Niagara which we are looking forward to

Also thanks Billy haha

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 17, 2022, 07:26:16 pm by Donnywolf »
Casperjebba will know better that me but the Thousand Island area was immense

I spent hours up the Towers gazing in awe at the landscape and the islands with a single house on them ... awesome

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 17, 2022, 07:31:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I spent hours in the tower looking at fog.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 17, 2022, 10:42:31 pm by BobG »
I spent hours at the border explaining to US (!) immigration that the white powder in a thick paper package in my rucksack was flour ground at an old fashioned mill I'd found in Toronto... It was too. But if you find that mill, Phil, don't buy any of their products....

BobG

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 17, 2022, 10:46:58 pm by Donnywolf »
Sorry BST but you did miss a treat

Best chapter I ever read was Bill Bryson at Grand Canyon . I always tell people who are going to read it because like me who has been there 5 maybe 6 times if there is fog or other cloud about the people who know what they are missing are mega frustrated whereas the people who have never seen it are more relaxed because they don't know what they are missing

I love the last sentence he says to the couple on honeymoon

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 17, 2022, 11:47:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I spent hours at the border at Niagara going from Toronto to Buffalo shortly after 9/11 because a guy on our Greyhound bus had a big PLO flag on his rucksack. The border guards took him off the bus and questioned him for hours while the rest of us kicked our heels.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 18, 2022, 12:20:03 am by phil old leake »
I’ll definitely not. E buying any white powder but thanks for the advice Bob

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 18, 2022, 01:51:37 am by BobG »
I was once on a Greyhound bus in the wilds of the Deep South. The bus stopped at some pokey little one horse town in the middle of nowhere. 3 coppers got on. Bloody hell!!! They trooped to the back of the bus and started questioning as they moved forwards. "Are you carrying any drugs?" "Do you have any drugs in your possession?". A couple of black lads were marched off the bus.  As they approached me I decided I would be honest. I would tell the truth. Yes. I do have drugs in my possession. And needles and syringes too. Fair cop lads. A weeks supply of insulin.  And guess what? They never even asked me. They walked right on by. Racism and profiling in action right there.

BobG
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:29:38 am by BobG »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 18, 2022, 08:27:19 am by Donnywolf »
I was at Niagara City in 1980 ... yeah I know .... and best view of Falls is on Canadian side.

We crossed bridge by car and 3 of us were surprised to be grilled for ages, where we had expected "quick formality" . Instead "where are you going , what is purpose of your visit etc"

Very similar re entering the US.

One of the Canadian Border Force gave us a tip .... don't miss the Falls at night ...they are illuminated and brilliant

So we duly set off .... and went through the exact same scrutiny as above on the way in to Canada

The Falls indeed were brilliant lit in multi colours and a bonus huge snowflakes were falling and adding to the beauty. One of my mates actually said "that's beautiful" and me and t'other looked at each other wondering where that came from

I took some photos which to this day go nowhere near the "real" scene

We had a pint in London, Canada then returned to the US via another grilling as above

We got in a Bar in Niagara City .... and I said "oh S**t ... I've left the Camera" Where is it says driver ? In the bar in London and through driving snow etc we went back to the bar .....and still followed the exact same protocols as above

So if anyone asks me if I have ever been to Canada I always say yes ... I once went there 3 times in a day

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 18, 2022, 09:41:21 pm by phllvslc »
I’d recommend Connie’s Pizza in Chicago if you want authentic deep dish pizza:

https://www.conniespizza.com/locations/

As baseball season is on, either the White Sox or the Cubs may be playing at home. You can get to either stadium on the L’s Red Line. I wouldn’t recommend driving to Wrigley Field, as parking is limited and expensive.

One thing I haven’t done but would like to is an architecture cruise along the river downtown:

https://www.architecture.org/tours/detail/chicago-architecture-foundation-center-river-cruise-aboard-chicago-s-first-lady/

The usual tourist stuff would be the observation decks at the Willis Tower/John Hancock Center, Cloud Gate in Millennium Park, getting a Chicago style hot dog, the Magnificent Mile part of Michigan Avenue, and Navy Pier.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 19, 2022, 04:55:08 am by phil old leake »
Thanks philvsic

I’m hoping we will also find a decent blues bar playing live music

phllvslc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 19, 2022, 10:10:36 pm by phllvslc »
Thanks philvsic

I’m hoping we will also find a decent blues bar playing live music

You’re welcome mate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2022, 01:57:10 pm by silent majority »
We did Chicago a few years back, went to see England play USA at Soldier Field.

Didn't see the attraction of Navy Pier, well advertised but seemed a bit  lacking in attractions and people.

We did a scenic architecture tour down the river, that was fabulous and there's even a lot that can be done by foot as well.

Found the city views from the Hancock Tower excellent too, with extensive views up and down the coast.

Loved the night life and the pub scene. Visited Coyote Ugly with about a thousand other England fans and enjoyed one of the best nights ever, great memories.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012