Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:27:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Peter Shore Oxford Union 1975  (Read 1255 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Peter Shore Oxford Union 1975
« on June 18, 2022, 09:50:48 pm by tyke1962 »
2 days before the 1975 referendum .

Absolutely unbelievable speech , defiantly worth 20 minutes of your time .

https://youtu.be/wd7NzQgHLn8

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Branton Red

• Forum Member
Re: Peter Shore Oxford Union 1975
« Reply #1 on June 18, 2022, 10:31:51 pm by Branton Red »
"It is the power of deciding your own laws which is the very heart of your own democracy."

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 18, 2022, 10:54:08 pm by tyke1962 »
"It is the power of deciding your own laws which is the very heart of your own democracy."

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

The Project Fear fraternity existed even back then too Branton from that speech along with the anti democratic make up of the then Common Market .

He could also see the path that was getting led  beyond the Common Market and what it evolved in to .

Amazing stuff .

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 18, 2022, 11:36:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's a convincing argument for the break-up of the UK!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 19, 2022, 12:00:38 am by tyke1962 »

Nowt to do with New Labour and devolution then ?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 19, 2022, 12:14:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Peter Shore went on an idiosyncratic political journey throughout his career from left wing firebrand, to imperialist  tub thumper who became a Labour friend of the nationalist strain of Tories. If you're going to sanctify the man, be aware of the big picture.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 19, 2022, 12:57:57 am by SydneyRover »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

If you could reconcile your comment above with support for a government that has shown zero regard for any law period, and is prepared to trash everything in it's quest to reign over us without the use of irony Branton ...............

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 19, 2022, 08:09:00 am by drfchound »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

If you could reconcile your comment above with support for a government that has shown zero regard for any law period, and is prepared to trash everything in it's quest to reign over us without the use of irony Branton ...............

“Us”.   LoL.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 19, 2022, 10:05:21 am by Glyn_Wigley »

What have they got to do with the philosophy that a nation has to decide all of it's own laws in order to be a democracy.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 19, 2022, 10:08:57 am by SydneyRover »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

“Us”.   LoL.

Oh hound 3 opportunities for a rebuttal today missed, dot cotton's spirit lives on.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 19, 2022, 10:38:32 am by tyke1962 »

What have they got to do with the philosophy that a nation has to decide all of it's own laws in order to be a democracy.

You'd be better asking Tony Blair that question .

Clearly handing more power to Scotland , Wales and NI tends to suggest he thought along those lines .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 19, 2022, 10:41:54 am by SydneyRover »

Clearly handing more power to Scotland , Wales and NI tends to suggest he thought along those lines .

I would have thought someone that voted to give away billions each year for the foreseeable future for some mythical freedoms would support countries that actually want real freedom and the opportunity to join the EU?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 19, 2022, 06:38:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

That was devolution, not independence. Mind you, I'm not surprised you don't know the difference.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 19, 2022, 07:04:42 pm by Branton Red »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

I don't support the current government

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 19, 2022, 07:10:49 pm by tyke1962 »

That was devolution, not independence. Mind you, I'm not surprised you don't know the difference.

Why's that then ?

Go on say it , I know you want to .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 19, 2022, 10:14:25 pm by SydneyRover »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

If you voted to allow johnson into power you would have known chaos came as part of the bargain and the genie will take quite some wasted years to get back in the bottle.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2022, 09:13:30 pm by Branton Red »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

If you voted to allow johnson into power you would have known chaos came as part of the bargain and the genie will take quite some wasted years to get back in the bottle.

Go back to the passage of the speech I quoted. Consider my clear opinion (not yours). Have some respect for that opinion even if you disagree with it. Then have a think as to why I couldn't possible have voted Labour in the 2019 GE.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 23, 2022, 12:17:01 am by SydneyRover »

Amen to that.

A great speech indeed.

Go back to the passage of the speech I quoted. Consider my clear opinion (not yours). Have some respect for that opinion even if you disagree with it. Then have a think as to why I couldn't possible have voted Labour in the 2019 GE.

But you haven't got that, you have chaos, the laws that are being trashed and will be trashed are the laws preventing johnson and his party from running the UK as a fiefdom where people such as mogg rule by feeding johnson's addiction. johnson is a puppet.

These laws that you want changed, abolished or written, can you tell me what they are so I have an idea how far you are willing to go, you must have an idea if they are so abhorrent that you would  impoverish the UK 'to get it done' show me your list Branton, surely you had an idea when you voted for something so central to your belief in brexit.

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/06/22/boris-johnsons-telegraph-meetings-leave-no-paper-trail/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:22:25 am by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012