Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:59:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers eye new keeper  (Read 3820 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Rovers eye new keeper
« on August 16, 2012, 07:56:23 pm by roverstillidie91 »
http://m.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/doncaster-rovers-eye-new-keeper-1-4836446

DEAN Saunders, the Doncaster Rovers manager, has not ruled out signing a new goalkeeper despite confirming Gary Woods will start the first league match of the season at Walsall.

With Neil Sullivan nursing a thumb problem, Saunders options are limited between the sticks. The Rovers chief has just Woods and rookie shot-stopper Jonathan Maxted available for selection ahead of the trip to the Banks’s Stadium. Woods, who turns 22 in October, got the nod in the 1-1 draw with Football League newcomers York City last Saturday.Rovers edged the clash 4-2 on penalities after extra-time to book a second round home tie with Hull City, which will be played the week commencing August 27.

It is no secret Saunders is a big admirer of Nicky Weaver, who has been deemed surplus to requirements by Sheffield Wednesday, with Owls chief Dave Jones choosing not to give him a squad number. The Star understands Rovers remain interested in recruiting the experienced player before the closure of the August transfer window.“I am assessing the goalkeeping department,” stressed Saunders.

“In fact, I am looking at all positions and if I can improve any of them I will as I want competition for places all over.“We have got 17 players at the moment and we are going to get injuries and suspensions.“We still won’t be able to fill the bench on Saturday so we are hoping to recruit a couple more players as we are short.”He added: “Gary [Woods] is going to start the season so he has got the first bite of the cherry. He has got the shirt and if he plays well then he will stay in.”Rovers have joined forces with Doncaster Rovers Belles for a unique double-header at the Keepmoat Stadium a week on Saturday.

Rovers entertain Crawley Town at 3pm followed by Belles taking on Arsenal Ladies at 6pm.Gavin Baldwin, Rovers chief executive, said: “This is something we feel will benefit ourselves and the Belles and provide excellent value for Doncaster residents.”Tickets are priced at £20 adults and £5 children.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers eye new keeper
« Reply #1 on August 16, 2012, 07:57:39 pm by Donnywolf »
TFFT !

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #2 on August 16, 2012, 08:14:29 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Do we get a refund if we leave after the ROVERS match ( season ticket holder)

MartinB

« Reply #3 on August 16, 2012, 08:19:48 pm by MartinB »
Why send players out on loan if we can't fill the bench?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2012, 08:24:41 pm by The Red Baron »
Why send players out on loan if we can't fill the bench?

Playing Devil's Advocate here to a certain extent, but maybe DS:

1. Doesn't think most of the youngsters are ready for League One and at this stage would not be an asset.
2. Is trying to make a point about the weakness of his squad- putting inexperienced players on the bench would merely paper over the cracks.

I'm a little surprised that after the relative flurry of signings either side of last weekend that no-one else has come in.  The situation with Harper seems to have gone very quiet. Maybe we need to "lose" another player before any more signings can be made.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2012, 11:32:56 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Great. What a waste of money it has been on tickets and petrol if we're going to play calamity Woods in goal.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 16, 2012, 11:36:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Great. What a waste of money it has been on tickets and petrol if we're going to play calamity Woods in goal.

Can this guy get banned please. xx

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2012, 11:38:06 pm by DC- »
Agreed with the Baron. The youth players simply aren't ready (notable exceptions) and most won't be for at least a few seasons.  There's no point just having them there warming the bench unless they can come on and make an impact. We've struggled with depth in the squad before and for me having too many youth players is just as bad.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2012, 11:42:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Reality is we have 3 keepers on our books. If it was your budget, would you sanction the acquisition of a 4th without losing at least one of the other 3 ?

We have to be a bit patient in this department. The problem is identified and the solution is being worked upon. 

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2012, 01:16:11 am by RobTheRover »

Can this guy get banned please. xx

I think he's sweating already.  YAURS, you say.  Far from it, says I.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2012, 01:20:58 am by Alan_Rovers »
Why would I be bothered if I was banned from this forum. There is far more to life.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2012, 01:23:20 am by RobTheRover »
Do you think you've done something to warrant a ban, Alan?  Sounds like a guilty conscience there, Alan.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2012, 01:34:36 am by Alan_Rovers »
I have no guilty conscience because I have nothing to be guilty about.

It was only a few months ago that certain moderators on this forum were sending threatening and abusive messages to Viva Rovers, which forced him to close down what was an excellent Rovers site.

That proves the VSC and its moderators act as a dictatorship.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2012, 01:46:45 am by RobTheRover »
Hmmmm, another economy with the truth there.  A common theme in your posts, Alan.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2012, 04:18:17 am by dickos1 »

It was only a few months ago that certain moderators on this forum were sending threatening and abusive messages to Viva Rovers, which forced him to close down what was an excellent Rovers site.

Unbelievable the tripe that comes from you

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 17, 2012, 08:41:30 am by ArmthorpeRover »

I bet your the life and soul of any party.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 17, 2012, 09:24:13 am by hoolahoop »

Hardly very likely that there will be any party whilst this keeper is between the sticks. We have lacked a 'quality' keeper now for some 2/3 years and it's hightime this was resolved.

I bet your the life and soul of any party.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 17, 2012, 10:07:11 am by RobTheRover »
I think it's clear Dean thinks the same way,  Hoola. 3 loan keepers last season...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 17, 2012, 10:19:20 am by Filo »

Another bold statement from the master of fiction, I`m sure viva rovers can either substantiate or rebuff your allegations

TinyPortal © 2005-2012