Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:40:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers documentary!  (Read 2076 times)

padora

Rovers documentary!
« on March 29, 2019, 08:41:02 am by padora »
On the Rovers related Wikipedia page there's a passage that reads as follows:

" In the early 1980s there was a documentary about Billy Bremner as the manager of Rovers. The documentary is notable not only for the inside look at the pre-match preparations, warm-up conducted in the dressing-rooms, starting line-up read out as if it's coming to Bremner there and then, but for such rare footage of early 1980s Belle Vue, with a full-size Popular Stand and the Cow Shed still standing at the Town End"

Does anyone on here have a link to this online, please, or at the very least know the name of the documentary???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:58:53 am by Forum Admin »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers documentary!
« Reply #1 on March 29, 2019, 10:03:22 am by IDM »
I know I have seen snippets - the club made a dvd for when we left BV where I think this was partially included.?

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 29, 2019, 10:10:02 am by VivaRovers »
It was on YouTube for a bit, I featured it on the old Viva Rovers site, but it has unfortunately been taken down now. Sadly I can't remember who uploaded it.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 29, 2019, 10:20:36 am by Donnywolf »
I wouldnt know how to alter Wikipedia but there is an error on there

My old friend "Golden Goal" mentioned in relation to beating Dagenham and Redbridge.

I have often posted on here the actual program showing it was officially known as Promotion Goal. OK so it was the same as a GG - did the same job - but as far as I know we are historic in that I have seen no other reference ever to a Promo Goal - so if we have a bit of history - grab it I say

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 29, 2019, 10:21:36 am by tyke1962 »
Is my memory failing me guys so bear with me , as a schoolkid in the 70's I went to Belle Vue to watch our clashes almost every season , now then behind the Rossington End was there a little airport situated there that had light aircraft and gliders in operation .

I can also remember how wide the pitch was , made for wingers it was , although not necessarily ours as we seemed to lose at Belle Vue almost every season .

The best I can remember was a 2-2 draw in 1978 which was covered by YTV and even then we were 2-0 down at one point .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 29, 2019, 11:25:30 am by The Red Baron »
That game was against Barnsley. I think that was on YouTube but I can't find it now.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 29, 2019, 01:47:53 pm by idler »
I think that it was a YTV piece that you are thinking of.
I seem to remember Glyn Snodin joking about his goals that season.
Was it 19?
They used to show all the local teams goals on a Friday on YTV about 6:30 I think in those days.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 29, 2019, 02:40:34 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Is my memory failing me guys so bear with me , as a schoolkid in the 70's I went to Belle Vue to watch our clashes almost every season , now then behind the Rossington End was there a little airport situated there that had light aircraft and gliders in operation .

I can also remember how wide the pitch was , made for wingers it was , although not necessarily ours as we seemed to lose at Belle Vue almost every season .

The best I can remember was a 2-2 draw in 1978 which was covered by YTV and even then we were 2-0 down at one point .

Doncaster Airport was behind the Rossington End, Tyke.  And the pitch was once the biggest in professional football.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 29, 2019, 02:53:12 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

My old friend "Golden Goal" mentioned in relation to beating Dagenham and Redbridge.

I have often posted on here the actual program showing it was officially known as Promotion Goal. OK so it was the same as a GG - did the same job - but as far as I know we are historic in that I have seen no other reference ever to a Promo Goal - so if we have a bit of history - grab it I say
Just sorted that in one place, maybe there is another - pm me and I'll change it :) It'd be handy if you have a reference to that naming too.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 29, 2019, 03:05:22 pm by Geoff Blakesley »

Doncaster Airport was behind the Rossington End, Tyke.  And the pitch was once the biggest in professional football.
I remember queueing up at the tea stall that was at the top of the Rossington end. We called it the Kop. It was so cold up there in winter for a night match we were quite happy for the hot tea to fall onto our hands.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:07:28 pm by Geoff Blakesley »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 29, 2019, 03:10:45 pm by tyke1962 »

Thanks for that , a relief to know my memory hasn't played tricks on me even at my age .

:headbang:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 29, 2019, 04:49:33 pm by Donnywolf »

Hi BRR - yes I have the Page from the Program - (think it says Page One - and everyone will have it) and I have posted it on here many times

No matter how I try its still upside down lol - but have highlighted the sentence but the words Promotion Goal is in Orange and really cant be clearer !
Well done Sir Franny !
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:52:03 pm by Donnywolf »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 29, 2019, 04:59:25 pm by Donnywolf »

Thanks for that , a relief to know my memory hasn't played tricks on me even at my age .

:headbang:

....anyone with 62 after their name is not old

Aiport was there as people are saying and often during Games the Parachutists were out in force and sometimes were more entertaining than what was happening on the Pitch

My Wife (to be) randomly called out 7 - during her first Game at BV. I looked around for what she might mean. I could not see anything that would make her say "7" randomly

I failed and turning to my right I said 7 what - and her head was looking to the sky and she said  - "7 Parachuters up there" . I never took her again though I tried Wimbledon and Crewe away but for some reason she never took to it.

Her 4th and last game was Johnstons Paint Trophy - Millenium Stadium where we went 2-0 up in 7 or 8 minutes and she said "is that it - can we go now"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012