Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:04:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Traffic and that bridge  (Read 4385 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Traffic and that bridge
« on January 13, 2011, 06:48:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
4 weeks that bridge at Barnby Dun's gonna be shut, added 20 minutes to my journey home from work that, chuffing hell.

No relevance but it's bloody annoying, I get out of Leeds to a bit closer and they make Donny a crawl  :angry:

More to the point, why do they do all the works at the same time?  They've closed that bridge and added roadworks coming out of Bentley making everywhere just crap.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pintolager

• Forum Member
Re:Traffic and that bridge
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2011, 06:58:09 pm by Pintolager »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:

More to the point, why do they do all the works at the same time?  They've closed that bridge and added roadworks coming out of Bentley making everywhere just crap.

The roadworks on Bentley Road are due to them f**king up and laying down the wrong size pipes meaning that the whole of the road needs re-doing. God knows how long it will take  :angry:

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2011, 09:02:59 pm by Old Popsider »
For my sins I'm exiled darn Sarf and work in Central London. You think it's bad back in good owd Donny? Try getting around London at any time - days or nights or bank holidays or weekends and you'll always find some kind of roadworks. Most of it unco-ordinated thus causing long hold-ups.

Example, Bishopsgate is where I work. For the past 18months there has been roadworks of some kind going on. At the junction with London Wall, this is a bloody big junction, quite often they close Bishopsgate completely with no prior notification & dig some of the deepest trenches you'll see. Usually up on Friday night and closed early doors Monday morning. The chaos that causes is incredible as Bishopsgate is a major East-West artery to Liverpool Street station and out to East London through The City.

There are various other roadworks that go on all over the city causing chaos. None of which is helped by pig headed ignorant cabbies stopping or doing u-turns right in the middle of the roadworks, buses squeezing through the smallest of gaps, people unfamiliar with the city and where they're going and pedestrians doing the chicken runs across the road dodging between cones and traffic.

Then there's the usual roadworks that there never appears to be anybody doing anything, familiar?

I'd love to move back home to God's own but unfortunately the job market isn't that great there at the mo, so have to soldier on down here. Still, not too far to go to the Rovers away games in the South!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2011, 09:52:32 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Old Popsider wrote:
For my sins I'm exiled darn Sarf and work in Central London. You think it's bad back in good owd Donny? Try getting around London at any time - days or nights or bank holidays or weekends and you'll always find some kind of roadworks. Most of it unco-ordinated thus causing long hold-ups.

Example, Bishopsgate is where I work. For the past 18months there has been roadworks of some kind going on. At the junction with London Wall, this is a bloody big junction, quite often they close Bishopsgate completely with no prior notification & dig some of the deepest trenches you'll see. Usually up on Friday night and closed early doors Monday morning. The chaos that causes is incredible as Bishopsgate is a major East-West artery to Liverpool Street station and out to East London through The City.

There are various other roadworks that go on all over the city causing chaos. None of which is helped by pig headed ignorant cabbies stopping or doing u-turns right in the middle of the roadworks, buses squeezing through the smallest of gaps, people unfamiliar with the city and where they're going and pedestrians doing the chicken runs across the road dodging between cones and traffic.

Then there's the usual roadworks that there never appears to be anybody doing anything, familiar?

I'd love to move back home to God's own but unfortunately the job market isn't that great there at the mo, so have to soldier on down here. Still, not too far to go to the Rovers away games in the South!

I'm so glad I managed to move back to gods country about 8 years ago after spending some 30 years down there.
It used to be a case of first job in the city for 9.00am  14 miles down the A13 leave home 06.30!!!!! and you might get there.
Then we got Mr Livingston finally admitting in the Evening Standard that the traffic lights in the outer boroughs of London had been rephased to make it look as if the congestion charge was working by restricting the flow of traffic into the city.

My Missus is a cockney and as she says Donny has its faults but theres no way she would move back  :)  mind you sometimes I wish she would  :P

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2011, 10:10:56 pm by Old Popsider »
Dagenham.Rover wrote:
Old Popsider wrote:

I'm so glad I managed to move back to gods country about 8 years ago after spending some 30 years down there.
It used to be a case of first job in the city for 9.00am  14 miles down the A13 leave home 06.30!!!!! and you might get there.
Then we got Mr Livingston finally admitting in the Evening Standard that the traffic lights in the outer boroughs of London had been rephased to make it look as if the congestion charge was working by restricting the flow of traffic into the city.

My Missus is a cockney and as she says Donny has its faults but theres no way she would move back  :)  mind you sometimes I wish she would  :P

Obviously Daggers you know the A13, well when I'm driving home after a Sunday night night shift I'm usually on the A13 by 0600-0615hrs. The traffic queues start at the Ship and Shovel flyover at Barking and continue out onto the elevated section over the Ford factory and beyond almost back to the M25!! Admittedly that's rare as far back as the M25 but most times there's a good 4-5 miles of queue. Then the next bit is where the A13 crosses/joins the M25. Queues back to the Tilbury turn off is normal, about 2 miles I reckon. How folks can do that every day I'll never know.

Fortunately I'm going out of London so the traffic is fairly light. Mind you, one Monday morning just before Christmas, there had been a 5 vehicle pile up on the Eastbound carriageway on the flyover at Pitsea. The queues went all the way back to the Tilbury turn off!!!!!! Fecking miles and miles of it and guess who was at the arse end of the queue? Yes, yours truly. Normally takes me just under an hour to drive from The City to where I live near Southend. That morning took 3 hours! Mind you the accident was that bad there had been 2 helicopter ambulances on the scene plus several paramedic cars and ambulances. Looking at the wreckage as I drove by you could see it had been carnage.

And yes, once past the scene the traffic on the other side was almost as bad as the police had closed the road for the helicopters to land.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2011, 10:21:52 pm by Ian H »
I live in Barnby Dun.

Yes the M60 around Manchester is crap, Sheffield Parkway is a bas**rd, the fcukin' M8 is shite at both ends, but I agree with BFYP the swing bridge closure is a fcukin' t**t!

Oh, and a net nanny that thinks that reversing the c & the u in the word F_U_C_K_I_N_G won't offend .... :D

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2011, 10:30:56 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Used to drink in the Ship and Shovel  :woohoo: (early mid 90's) as I spent a couple of years living on the Thamesview estate behind there before moveing to the posh bit of Dagenham up near Chadwell Heath  :laugh:
 And then the other bit of genius road planning .......lets widen the A13 into 3 lanes instead of the sort of dual carriageway  with lots of temporary flyovers it was, then we can reduce the speed limit to 30 on a 3 lane eachway carriageway and put a speed camera up every half a mile.....and who says its not a money making excerise  :)  Still go down there pretty frequently to the Missus's family but I tend to drive her in off the A406 through Ilford and down Green lanes just so she realises what shes missing  :laugh:

GM-MarkB

« Reply #7 on January 13, 2011, 10:53:36 pm by GM-MarkB »
Someone (not sure which utility service) has dug a hole at the end of my road in Cantley. Surrounded it with barriers and signs....and just left it ! It's put the road end at effectively one lane.

That was last week and they haven't been back yet.

Maybe it's part of the Council spending cuts....\"We'll dig the hole for you...you sort out the mess\"   :huh:

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2011, 11:04:13 pm by Mike_F »
I thought it was one of Boris's plans to ensure works were co-ordinated with various utility providers to keep disruption down to a minimum. I.e. you don't have Transco digging the road up one week, filling it in then BT turning up the week after and digging it back up. It makes sense if it can be enforced.

I hate the roads in London though. I went for a meal in Westminster just before Christmas and on the way back they had got Marble Arch down to one lane with every man for himself trying to merge. My boss's wife was driving and I wouldn't have swapped places with her for all the tea in China. Bloody chaos!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 14, 2011, 12:29:34 am by Filo »
4 weeks that bridge at Barnby Dun's gonna be shut, added 20 minutes to my journey home from work that, chuffing hell.

No relevance but it's bloody annoying, I get out of Leeds to a bit closer and they make Donny a crawl  :angry:

I take it you live in or around Barnby Dunn, and come down the A19 through Bentley and onto the power station road. If thats the case just take a left at the traffic lights in Askern and go through Moss and onto Stainforth and then from Stainforth to barnby dunn, there`s hardly any difference timewise, certainly not 20 minutes

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 14, 2011, 01:07:58 am by Old Popsider »
Dagenham.Rover wrote:
Used to drink in the Ship and Shovel  :woohoo: (early mid 90's) as I spent a couple of years living on the Thamesview estate behind there before moveing to the posh bit of Dagenham up near Chadwell Heath  :laugh:
 And then the other bit of genius road planning .......lets widen the A13 into 3 lanes instead of the sort of dual carriageway  with lots of temporary flyovers it was, then we can reduce the speed limit to 30 on a 3 lane eachway carriageway and put a speed camera up every half a mile.....and who says its not a money making excerise  :)  Still go down there pretty frequently to the Missus's family but I tend to drive her in off the A406 through Ilford and down Green lanes just so she realises what shes missing  :laugh:

Steady on Daggers 'posh bit of Dagenham' ?????????  Where exactly is that? I used to live in Chadwell Heath and certainly didn't find any of Dagenham anywhere near posh, only the bit round the fire station and council offices were anywhere near nice with the park there  - oh and the park a bit further down where you go past Dag & Redbridge ground to the roundabout & turn right, there's another park there.

Ilford & Green Lanes - little Pakistan! Awful area.

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 14, 2011, 01:10:44 am by Old Popsider »
Mike_F wrote:
I thought it was one of Boris's plans to ensure works were co-ordinated with various utility providers to keep disruption down to a minimum. I.e. you don't have Transco digging the road up one week, filling it in then BT turning up the week after and digging it back up. It makes sense if it can be enforced.

I hate the roads in London though. I went for a meal in Westminster just before Christmas and on the way back they had got Marble Arch down to one lane with every man for himself trying to merge. My boss's wife was driving and I wouldn't have swapped places with her for all the tea in China. Bloody chaos!

Boris & co-ordination don't go together in the same sentence. It was on the cards for that to happen but still hasn't. Probably be a few years yet before it does.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 14, 2011, 06:22:56 am by Dagenham Rover »
Old Popsider wrote:

Steady on Daggers 'posh bit of Dagenham' ?????????  Where exactly is that? I used to live in Chadwell Heath and certainly didn't find any of Dagenham anywhere near posh, only the bit round the fire station and council offices were anywhere near nice with the park there  - oh and the park a bit further down where you go past Dag & Redbridge ground to the roundabout & turn right, there's another park there.

Ilford & Green Lanes - little Pakistan! Awful area.

We lived near what was the Hinds Head I used the word \"posh\" very tongue in cheek.

Exactly why I drive in that way to remind the wife! Green Lanes has got nothing on Little Ilford Lane (runs between Barking and Ilford)  now that is frightening!

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 14, 2011, 07:10:49 am by coventryrover »
Old Popsider wrote:

Oooops I was involved in some of the work on Bishopsgate, apologies.

At least the public transport is there in London.

Still cant stand driving down there.  Probably because of the amount of uninsured drivers not giving a feck.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 15, 2011, 01:19:58 am by Thinwhiteduke »

More to the point, travelling from Bentley towards Barnby Dun brige, and earlier in the week you had no idea it was shut until a sign told you so...50 yds before getting to the Bridge.

I was so incensed at this on Monday I got out and told the 6 men in yellow jackets doing bugger all at said bridge that it was ridiculous, and why did people have to drive so close to the bridge before finding out its shut for 4 bloody weeks!?!? Not as if the simpletons could give a fair answer - just grunted and shrugged their shoulder!

Thanks to that bodge up, and the debacle going on on Bentley Road, it took me 50 minuted to travel from Argos on Wheatley Hall Rd, back to Bentley at 14:30 this afternoon. What a farce.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 15, 2011, 01:30:56 am by Filo »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

More to the point, travelling from Bentley towards Barnby Dun brige, and earlier in the week you had no idea it was shut until a sign told you so...50 yds before getting to the Bridge.

I was so incensed at this on Monday I got out and told the 6 men in yellow jackets doing bugger all at said bridge that it was ridiculous, and why did people have to drive so close to the bridge before finding out its shut for 4 bloody weeks!?!? Not as if the simpletons could give a fair answer - just grunted and shrugged their shoulder!

Thanks to that bodge up, and the debacle going on on Bentley Road, it took me 50 minuted to travel from Argos on Wheatley Hall Rd, back to Bentley at 14:30 this afternoon. What a farce.

There`s been a big yellow sign up on both sides of the bridge since well before Christmas informing of the impending closure

Argos to Bentley via Barnby Dunn, Kirk Bramwith, Moss and Askern is no more than a 20 minute run

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 15, 2011, 12:11:17 pm by Ian H »
I'd just like to say that Dun has only one \"N\" and whoever created all the diversion signs didn't seem to know that.

The Kirk Bramwith route is OK, I've used it most days since the closure, but it isn't signposted as an official diversion, so if you don't know where you're going you could get lost.

Last night even at 6.30 pm traffic was shite from Wheatley Hall Road round to Bentley Road so the official diversion was crap.
Today in Barnby Dun the South Yorks Digital boys have 3 way lights on at the Armthorpe Lane junction - you can't escape it.

Although (as Filo says) the notice about the bridge was up long before Christmas so regular users will have had plenty of time to figure out their best alternatives.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 15, 2011, 01:38:31 pm by MrFrost »
I was stuck on Wheatley Hall Road last night. Not amused. Over an hour to get to town from Kirk Sandall.

I find it pathetic that money was wasted on those electronic signs on the major routes in Donny and they are never used to advise of traffic problems. The only thing i've ever seen on them is Don't drink and drive. Thanks for that.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 15, 2011, 01:39:43 pm by Filo »
Re: the 3 way lights, total nightmare, i normally go to the Km by motorway from where I live in Stainforth, but due to an accident on Kirton Lane crossings i had to go via Bernby Dun, half an hour to get through the lights!

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 16, 2011, 10:45:06 pm by Old Popsider »
coventryrover wrote:
Old Popsider wrote:

Oooops I was involved in some of the work on Bishopsgate, apologies.

At least the public transport is there in London.

Still cant stand driving down there.  Probably because of the amount of uninsured drivers not giving a feck.

Well, get your arse back down here and finish the bloody job!! :laugh:  :laugh:

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 17, 2011, 09:00:15 am by moses »
It will all be worth it with the Digital Region work digging up the road eventually.
Fibre to every street cabinet (assuming no g*psy theiving) will make a real difference to our internet connectivity.
Without this programme the plan for Doncaster to get get \"superfast broadband\" was ...
There was no date.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012