Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:11:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1427 times)

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
Help!
« on January 25, 2011, 12:17:03 pm by DonnyRTID »
Any computer buffs out there please help.
My son has been on some undesirable site and i now have rogue security software on my computer and can't access any of my security settings or get on the internet, i have used system restore but it's still there, it has removed my anti-virus protection and i can't perform any updates.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:Help!
« Reply #1 on January 25, 2011, 12:38:43 pm by Filo »
It's easy to blame your son, isn't it Mr Glitter? :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 25, 2011, 12:40:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Without looking at it hands-on it's very difficult to say what you'd need to do to get rid of it as no-one can predict what you can do or what the virus stops you doing. Also, it might be something new. If you could get a name for the virus that'd help with knowing how to tackle it.

If there's nothing on the harddrive that's valuable or you'd want to rescue, I'd say fully format the HD and reinstall Windows and start from scratch. If there is anything you might want to try and rescue, the best thing would be to attach your HD as a slave onto another system which has some good anti-virus stuff on it to analyse your HD before attemtping to rescue any files. Malwarebytes is the best free software out there, it really scrubs drives thoroughly.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 25, 2011, 12:44:08 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Filo wrote:

:laugh:

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 25, 2011, 01:14:25 pm by DonnyRTID »
Filo wrote:

Knew someone would make a smart-ass remark.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 25, 2011, 01:22:17 pm by DonnyRTID »
Glyn_Wigley wrote:
Without looking at it hands-on it's very difficult to say what you'd need to do to get rid of it as no-one can predict what you can do or what the virus stops you doing. Also, it might be something new. If you could get a name for the virus that'd help with knowing how to tackle it.

If there's nothing on the harddrive that's valuable or you'd want to rescue, I'd say fully format the HD and reinstall Windows and start from scratch. If there is anything you might want to try and rescue, the best thing would be to attach your HD as a slave onto another system which has some good anti-virus stuff on it to analyse your HD before attemtping to rescue any files. Malwarebytes is the best free software out there, it really scrubs drives thoroughly.

I can't download any software cos i can't access the internet via the affected computer.
Do you work in IT?, i'd be happy to pay for your services if you can help.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 25, 2011, 01:33:38 pm by bobjimwilly »
go to www.bleepingcomputer.com, read their posting rules and post a topic on their forum. They should be able to help you out.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 25, 2011, 01:54:24 pm by DonnyRTID »
From reading info on there it would seem my computer is infected with window scan.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012