Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:38:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22802 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #90 on July 19, 2021, 11:33:22 pm by River Don »
And if anyone wants a sobering read, check out what Holocene Extinction is. It’s been happening for some time, thousands of years in fact. But the extinction rate is accelerating exponentially.

In The Future of Life (2002), Edward Osborne Wilson of Harvard calculated that, if the current rate of human disruption of the biosphere continues, one-half of Earth's higher lifeforms will be extinct by 2100.

Dunno about this but we can all see the majority of British men now appear to be forced to wear shorts throughout the summer months. It's a disturbing trend and clear evidence of climate change.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 19, 2021, 11:36:26 pm by SydneyRover »
A bus shelter in Solihull exploded due to the heat.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 19, 2021, 11:45:03 pm by River Don »
I think we all had grandfathers who would wear a suit and tie, even on the beach in high summer. Being true men, they would perhaps roll the trouser legs up and go for a bracing paddle in the chill of the North Sea. The only other time men had to show some leg was if they were doing sports or fighting in North Africa.

July, Brid in the 1950s.

Nowadays it's like the Bahamas all summer long.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:12:13 am by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on July 20, 2021, 12:14:39 am by SydneyRover »
I remember a mate telling me stories about the warnings of damage to the ozone from spray can propellant associated with global warming and that they used to muck about and empty cans wanting to bring it on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on July 20, 2021, 12:34:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
A couple of years ago, on the day we had the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK, I was on a ferry from Dover to Calais. Arrived at Calais and they couldn't open the bow doors to let cars out. They had expanded in the heat and stuck shut. Took us 3 hours to disembark. Our infrastructure is going to come under increasing strain as extreme heat becomes more commonplace.

And yes, I fully appreciate my own micro role in the climate crisis, driving across Europe.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 20, 2021, 06:17:44 pm by Janso »
And if anyone wants a sobering read, check out what Holocene Extinction is. It’s been happening for some time, thousands of years in fact. But the extinction rate is accelerating exponentially.

In The Future of Life (2002), Edward Osborne Wilson of Harvard calculated that, if the current rate of human disruption of the biosphere continues, one-half of Earth's higher lifeforms will be extinct by 2100.

Dunno about this but we can all see the majority of British men now appear to be forced to wear shorts throughout the summer months. It's a disturbing trend and clear evidence of climate change.

The real threat is men who wear vest tops in public in 12 degree 'heat'. They're the ones who really need to be stopped.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 20, 2021, 09:44:12 pm by River Don »
Everything is on Fire.

The driest conditions for 150 years have crated a tinderbox in Siberia.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/everything-is-on-fire-siberia-hit-by-unprecedented-burning

Shocking considering it's much the same in the Western US at the same time.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 21, 2021, 07:42:13 am by River Don »
More extreme weather.

This time heavy flooding in China. Imagine going to work on the tube and then having the carriages fill up with water. People have drowned on their commute.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/heavy-flooding-hits-central-china-affecting-tens-of-millions

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 26, 2021, 08:49:18 am by River Don »
Another deluge and flooding in London.

I don't think places like Doncaster can afford to ignore what's going on, it suggests there is going to be extreme rainfall again in South Yorkshire before long.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on July 26, 2021, 09:28:06 am by SydneyRover »
COP26 may be the last opportunity to make real change RD, if leaders of 'democracies' don't make the correct call who is going to do that. Will people around the world stand by and allow their leaders to squib on doing something positive, it can't be all left for the next few generations to clean up after the past few generations have done very little surely, there maybe no choice in the very near future.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 26, 2021, 09:38:48 am by GazLaz »
Another deluge and flooding in London.

I don't think places like Doncaster can afford to ignore what's going on, it suggests there is going to be extreme rainfall again in South Yorkshire before long.

I’d be interested to know at what capabilities the drainage systems around the country are capable of operating at. Nowhere near 100% I’d guess.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on July 26, 2021, 10:02:14 am by SydneyRover »
I don't think any drainage system could withstand those sorts of deluges GL, it's like rivers changing course and just undermining whole areas.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 26, 2021, 10:32:04 am by River Don »
The main concern in Donny has got to be the river and how easily populated areas around Bentley and Toll Bar flood.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 26, 2021, 03:57:10 pm by sha66y »
It looks like the great planetary reset is accelerating alarmingly and no matter how much money you throw at it, it doesn’t care….the balance has teetered to irreversible on this current trajectory,
in a 100 years time this shit pot planet will roast and floods in equal measure,

I blame that Greta lass,………bloody do gooder!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 26, 2021, 04:08:44 pm by drfchound »
That Mel Gibson film, was it Waterworld, might be turning into reality then.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 26, 2021, 05:11:13 pm by River Don »
It looks like the great planetary reset is accelerating alarmingly and no matter how much money you throw at it, it doesn’t care….the balance has teetered to irreversible on this current trajectory,
in a 100 years time this shit pot planet will roast and floods in equal measure,

I blame that Greta lass,………bloody do gooder!

It does look grim.

We know the recent northern heat dome effect in Canada and Siberia were predicted by the most pessimistic computer models.

We know the full effect emissions released today won't be fully felt for years. So we know things are certain to deteriorate.

We know emissions are not yet falling even. So things are certain to deteriorate further.

And we know the ice will continue to melt and distort long established weather patterns.

I'd say we're certain to be in for a rough ride from here on in.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 26, 2021, 06:30:57 pm by sha66y »
The leaders know what’s happening and they know that it’s practically irreversible whilst mass consumerism feeds our needs….
There is nothing I can do , I have no sacrifices left to give, so I will do all I can to give those I love and care about the best that I am able to provide….

I’m safe , my son and daughter are safe but my sons great great grandchildren will be living in a whole different climate….

Party like it’s 2099

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 27, 2021, 10:02:20 am by Axholme Lion »
It will be game over for mankind in fifty years maximum. Reason one is overpopulation. Every other problem is a symptom of this. Nature will take back the cities and in a few years the birds will sing and wildlife will walk the overgrown streets.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 27, 2021, 10:52:45 am by normal rules »
Everything will be ok though, cos we are all going to be driving around in electric cars soon.
And they are very climate friendly aren’t they . ?

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 27, 2021, 10:55:55 am by Redandwhite »
Over population is THE issue .
Everything else is a symptom of this .

They won't do anything about it, because for the whole monitory pyramid to not collapse, a constant supply of new workers are needed .

For the human species to advance to the next level, a whole paradigm shift is needed. 

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 27, 2021, 02:28:44 pm by River Don »
It will be game over for mankind in fifty years maximum. Reason one is overpopulation. Every other problem is a symptom of this. Nature will take back the cities and in a few years the birds will sing and wildlife will walk the overgrown streets.

There are suggestions we could soon be hitting tipping points that will lead to heat 5°c above the preindustrial average.

If that happens most parts of the globe would become unhabitable. For people, birds and a lot of other wildlife.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 28, 2021, 11:20:22 am by Axholme Lion »

There are suggestions we could soon be hitting tipping points that will lead to heat 5°c above the preindustrial average.

If that happens most parts of the globe would become unhabitable. For people, birds and a lot of other wildlife.

I'll bet the ants near my back door step will still be there.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 28, 2021, 02:04:51 pm by sha66y »

Ya just gotta look out ya window to see that 5 degrees warmer would be a welcome change, …ray ban and speedo have had enough out of me……it’s payback time!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 29, 2021, 07:06:02 am by normal rules »
We are simultaneously witnessing weather disaster in Germany, the highest temperatures for June in Finland and the US, the catastrophic heatwave in British Columbia, and extreme heat in Siberia.
These are all outlier events that exceed what one would expect if it were 'only' a 1.2C warming impact (that's the amount the Earth has already warmed since pre-industrial times).
Greenhouse gas levels are already too high for a manageable future for humanity.
Quite frankly, coronovirus will be a drop in the ocean compared to what is coming.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on July 29, 2021, 07:45:00 am by SydneyRover »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 29, 2021, 10:04:28 am by Axholme Lion »
this flood map looks scary

https://www.getthedata.com/flood-map/doncaster

Maybe they should stop building so many houses so there is somewhere for the water to drain off?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on July 30, 2021, 12:00:23 am by SydneyRover »
''Foreign control of North Sea oil licences threatens UK’s net zero goal
Study warns regulator must take action as private equity firms and state-backed groups begin to dominate''

I expect all these licences will be nationalised shortly.

''An investigation by Channel 4 news has uncovered deleted tweets from Steve Brown, the chief executive of North Sea oil minnow Orcadian Energy, which claimed that the global drive to meet the Paris Accord target to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050 is “insane”. The now deleted personal tweets are understood to have been posted before the company listed on London’s junior stock exchange last month''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/29/foreign-control-of-north-sea-oil-licences-threatens-uks-net-zero-goal

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 30, 2021, 12:44:53 am by River Don »
We are simultaneously witnessing weather disaster in Germany, the highest temperatures for June in Finland and the US, the catastrophic heatwave in British Columbia, and extreme heat in Siberia.
These are all outlier events that exceed what one would expect if it were 'only' a 1.2C warming impact (that's the amount the Earth has already warmed since pre-industrial times).
Greenhouse gas levels are already too high for a manageable future for humanity.
Quite frankly, coronovirus will be a drop in the ocean compared to what is coming.

News today that this year is turning out to be one of the warmest/sunniest and wettest on record in the UK.

We're losing our temperate, mild, dull conditions and things are becoming more extreme and less predictable.

We'll miss that fine rain that wets you through. Nowadays it's either baking hot or monsoon.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 30, 2021, 09:12:15 am by drfchound »
Plenty of that fine rain about this morning RD.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on July 30, 2021, 09:28:17 am by SydneyRover »
Plenty of that fine rain about this morning RD.

Did your siblings tease you a lot as a child hound?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012