Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:07:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22860 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #180 on August 13, 2021, 06:12:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You are beneath contempt Hound.

Every single time we have a difference of opinion it comes to this. You claiming that I am deliberately trying to deceive. Every single time you are wrong. Every single time you just rinse and repeat. You have no intention of ever discussing anything substantive. You just stand at the side chucking you snide insults.

What people do you normally deal with on a day to day basis that has given you this obsession with reading the very worst implications into the opinions of someone you've never met, and a refusal to accept that they might actually be being honest? I haven't changed ANYTHING in my discussion of this. I said SOME of the people racked up for deportation by Patel were "minor" criminals, by which I meant they had served relatively short sentences. You, doing what you always do, frame that as a moral outrage that I am belittling drug dealing. I gave ONE example originally because it is the most egregious. I've just given another one to BB which you seem blissfully unaware of.

You COULD go and look up Damion Thompson. Howard Ormsby. The unnamed bloke from this week's deportation list who served a short sentence for possession with intent 10 years ago and has never committed a crime since, before Patel had him picked up last week. But of course you won't. Because you have no interest in anyof that. You just want to convince yourself I'm the sort of Kitson you want me to be.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on August 13, 2021, 06:15:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB. I confused two cases while I was reading  stuff quickly between jobs at work. I've corrected it. The main points (him coming to the UK as a young kid and serving a 7 month stretch for something he did as a 17 year  old) are right. But of course I don't expect YOU to believe anything I ever write. You're the Waldorf to Hound's Stadler. Offering nothing but jaundiced, snide observations at other people's expense.

If you're interested in Tajay Thompson, go and put your big boy pants on and look it up yourself.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:20:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on August 13, 2021, 06:23:05 pm by drfchound »
BST, my last word on this.
I don’t have to prove anything, everything I have said about the drug dealing thing is there to be read, if anyone is interested, which I very much doubt.
You clearly have changed your position from the original post.

If you don’t want to be corrected then please put what you really think rather than something vague, with the intent of upping your hatred of all things government.
You DID say that some people were set for deportation for minor offences such as drug dealing, not what you are now claiming to have said.

If you decide to change your story, that’s fine, but have the balls to admit that you have.

Also, if you don’t want to read what I write you could always block me, as you have allegedly done with Belton.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #183 on August 13, 2021, 06:32:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound. My last word also and apologies to everyone for this going so badly off topic.

I did NOT change ANYTHING in my story.

I said SOME people were being lined up for deportation because of drug dealing. SOME were.

I said that the cases were for crimes "as minor as" drug dealing. If you take your "Oooh! Outrageous! BST condoning drug dealing!" head off for a moment and think what that sentence says, it is f**king obvious. I'm using it as a relative assessment. The courts consider drug dealing on the scale that we are talking about to be a minor crime RELATIVE TO things like rape or stoving someone's head in. THAT was what I meant. But because you have this obsession with reading the very worst interpretation into everything I say, you process that as me belittling drug dealing as a crime and then back pedalling when you and you pal wade in.

I truly cannot understand what drives that obsession.

I WILL now block you because this isn't particularly healthy for anyone. I don't particularly like blocking anyone, because I am a big believer in robust, exchanges of opinion between people with different views. But it is very rare I ever experience that with you. By the way, what you mean by "allegedly" I have no idea, but I'm sure it makes some sort of sense to you.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:38:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #184 on August 13, 2021, 06:56:55 pm by drfchound »
Thank goodness for that, no more being trolled by bst.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on August 13, 2021, 07:12:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST, What is patently obvious is that you only deal in jaundiced, snide anti-government observations. You only deal in stories that tell of government failures because they are most probably the only stories you search for or at least only report on.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on August 13, 2021, 11:48:38 pm by River Don »
Climate change wasn't it?

Globally this was the hottest July ever recorded. The hottest of the warmest month of the year modern humanity has experienced.

Burn baby burn.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #187 on August 14, 2021, 12:38:13 am by SydneyRover »
BST, What is patently obvious is that you only deal in jaundiced, snide anti-government observations. You only deal in stories that tell of government failures because they are most probably the only stories you search for or at least only report on.

Maybe as head of the tory boys fan club you should be posting the good news stories about how well the government have implemented brexit, the numbers of trade deals they have signed, how well manufacturing is going and any other number of key indicators of a growing economy. You could wax lyrical about the how well the relations are going in the Irish border regions and how brexit has had a positive effect on the movement of goods in the region. When you start doing your job properly you may then be entitled to dictate what others on the forum should comment on, no?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on August 14, 2021, 06:14:01 am by River Don »
After the fire the flood.

The worst anyone in the region have ever seen, again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/13/turkey-flood-deaths-rise-fresh-fires-erupt-greek-island-evia

wilts rover

• Forum Member

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on August 14, 2021, 09:10:30 am by sha66y »

Globally this was the hottest July ever recorded. The hottest of the warmest month of the year modern humanity has experienced.

Burn baby burn.

How come we only got a handful of warm days……….. it’s not fair…in 50 years time whilst half the world burns under sweltering sun’s, and the other half has to learn how to swim….we will still be wishing for a bit of a nice summer…

Now’s a good time to look at investment potential , whether it’s dinghy’s or portable cooler boxes

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on August 14, 2021, 01:36:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Burn baby burn.

We've been in denial about this for over a century.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1426502611109359616

We need massive changes of policy now to avert disaster. Depressingly, the politicians and newspapers that brought you Brexit and the anti-lockdown arguments are now setting themselves to oppose net zero carbon. This is their next Culture War battlefield. They would literally prefer the planet to burn than miss a chance to bait the Left.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #192 on August 14, 2021, 01:48:44 pm by River Don »
Another day, another extreme flooding event. This one is affecting a couple of cities and over a million people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/14/million-urged-to-seek-shelter-as-floods-and-landslides-hit-japan

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #193 on August 14, 2021, 01:56:10 pm by River Don »

Burn baby burn.

How come we only got a handful of warm days……….. it’s not fair…in 50 years time whilst half the world burns under sweltering sun’s, and the other half has to learn how to swim….we will still be wishing for a bit of a nice summer…

Now’s a good time to look at investment potential , whether it’s dinghy’s or portable cooler boxes

It must just be me then. I thought we were having another really warm summer. I've been in t-shirts and shorts for weeks.

What is noticeable to me is the grey days are warm, between 65 and 75°F.

I remember summers when overcast skies meant there could be a chill in the air, even in July. That doesn't happen anymore.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on August 14, 2021, 03:20:50 pm by drfchound »

Burn baby burn.

We've been in denial about this for over a century.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1426502611109359616

We need massive changes of policy now to avert disaster. Depressingly, the politicians and newspapers that brought you Brexit and the anti-lockdown arguments are now setting themselves to oppose net zero carbon. This is their next Culture War battlefield. They would literally prefer the planet to burn than miss a chance to bait the Left.

Contrary to the people who never miss a chance to bait anyone who isnt on the side of the Left.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on August 14, 2021, 03:22:30 pm by drfchound »

Burn baby burn.

It must just be me then. I thought we were having another really warm summer. I've been in t-shirts and shorts for weeks.

What is noticeable to me is the grey days are warm, between 65 and 75°F.

I remember summers when overcast skies meant there could be a chill in the air, even in July. That doesn't happen anymore.

Me too RD.
Since April there has only been one day that i havent been dressed in shorts and tee shirts.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on August 16, 2021, 09:20:23 am by Not Now Kato »
  Speaking from experience a WUM should never change his handle,you need to be recognised  like what I am.

You're many things my friend, but you're certainly not a WUM. Recognised, yes, WUM, no.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on August 17, 2021, 09:01:38 pm by normal rules »
Food for thought?

Total fuel consumption of U.S. airlines is approximately 19 billion gallons annually.
Total fuel consumption for mining Ore for construction of electric car batteries is approximately 21 billion gallons annually.
The 21 billion gallons of fuel burned can only produce enough Ore to build 250,000 electric car batteries.

The lifespan of an electric battery is 10 years and is not renewable. By 2050 these batteries will fill landfills with 50 million pounds of waste that does not break down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on August 17, 2021, 09:57:07 pm by drfchound »
.....and there probably still wont be enough charging points either.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on August 19, 2021, 08:56:55 am by River Don »
The global emergency requires a new politics, but it is nowhere in sight. Governments still fear lobby groups more than they fear the collapse of our living systems.

That gets right to the heart of the matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/19/life-earth-second-place-fossil-fuel-climate-breakdown

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #200 on August 19, 2021, 09:21:37 am by SydneyRover »
Another step in the right direction

''‘Green steel’: Swedish company ships first batch made without using coal
Hybrit sends steel made with hydrogen production process to Volvo, which plans to use it in prototype vehicles and components''

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/aug/19/green-steel-swedish-company-ships-first-batch-made-without-using-coal

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on August 19, 2021, 12:10:31 pm by normal rules »
Get ready to pay for it though. Early assessments of production price of full-scale hydrogen-based direct reduction indicates a 20%– 30% higher cost compared with conventional steel production.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #202 on August 24, 2021, 12:18:48 am by SydneyRover »
sorry guys, another interesting clip from the paper

''Climate crisis made deadly German floods ‘up to nine times more likely’
Study reinforces the hard evidence that carbon emissions are the main cause of worsening extreme weather''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/23/climate-crisis-made-deadly-german-floods-up-to-nine-times-more-likely

It's good to see scientists are making direct links between the changing weather patterns and man made causes.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on August 24, 2021, 09:48:36 am by Axholme Lion »
Food for thought?

Total fuel consumption of U.S. airlines is approximately 19 billion gallons annually.
Total fuel consumption for mining Ore for construction of electric car batteries is approximately 21 billion gallons annually.
The 21 billion gallons of fuel burned can only produce enough Ore to build 250,000 electric car batteries.

The lifespan of an electric battery is 10 years and is not renewable. By 2050 these batteries will fill landfills with 50 million pounds of waste that does not break down.

Talking sense on here will get you nowhere. I'm still waiting for people's thoughts on little kids being used mining in Congo for cobalt.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/03/child-labour-toxic-leaks-the-price-we-could-pay-for-a-greener-future

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on September 03, 2021, 06:49:05 am by River Don »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on September 03, 2021, 10:44:48 am by normal rules »
And when the waters subside, they will all jump straight back in their v8 gas guzzlers.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on September 04, 2021, 03:15:32 pm by sha66y »
Food for thought?

Talking sense on here will get you nowhere. I'm still waiting for people's thoughts on little kids being used mining in Congo for cobalt.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/03/child-labour-toxic-leaks-the-price-we-could-pay-for-a-greener-future

Lolololol
Don’t let a real story get in the way of stat gathering….

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on September 06, 2021, 11:50:01 pm by River Don »
It might be an expensive winter, there are fears Russia is limiting its natural gas supply into Europe to push prices higher...

In theory this should provide incentive for a greater shift towards renewables but will it in practice?

I see in here in the UK on still hot days we are still having to fire up the Ratcliffe on Soar coal fired powerstation. Apparently this happened again today. We're not weaned off coal yet then.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/12/national-grid-fires-up-coal-power-station-for-first-time-in-55-days

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #209 on September 06, 2021, 11:54:23 pm by SydneyRover »
And RD as the world warms and traditionally colder countries have to use aircon ..........

TinyPortal © 2005-2012