Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:44:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22811 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #360 on November 04, 2021, 06:12:40 pm by River Don »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/10/01/south-pole-coldest-winter-record/
   Get wrapped up.
 Just last year the papers were full of a massive sea ice chunk breaking off and heading to the island of South Georgia an old whaling station where they thought it would ground and slowly melt and change the whole eco system in that area and raise sea levels. I have not heard it has happened, could the scientists have been wrong just twelve months ago?
  In the last few years we have been subjected to scientists saying the earth is warming up, the present favourite, a couple of years ago we are heading for a small ice age due to sun spots that determined our weather patterns the then flavour of the year. Take your pick one might just happen.

The a South Pole experiencing the coldest winter on record is just another example of extreme weather, another example of the effects of global warming. Is this meant to reassure us?

Why don't you just admit, you really don't care?

There are very few who are prepared to admit it. I'd actually think more highly of your honesty if you did.

Edit: Selby, low lying, by the river Ouse. One of the most vulnerable places in the country to flooding.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 06:39:40 pm by River Don »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #361 on November 04, 2021, 07:04:46 pm by normal rules »
The wolds is an option. It’s a bit remote for the most part and gets some grim winters.plus the road network is pants.
Louth is very nice. But the Lincs wolds essentially becomes a Long Island, surrounded by water if predictions are right . North Sea to the east. Trent and witham valley to the west and south both of which will suffer with sea rise. Humber to the north of course.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #362 on November 04, 2021, 07:09:04 pm by River Don »
The wolds is an option. It’s a bit remote for the most part and gets some grim winters.plus the road network is pants.
Louth is very nice. But the Lincs wolds essentially becomes a Long Island, surrounded by water if predictions are right . North Sea to the east. Trent and witham valley to the west and south both of which will suffer with sea rise. Humber to the north of course.

Derbyshire it is then.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #363 on November 04, 2021, 07:14:50 pm by normal rules »
Interestingly , most of the west coast, NW NE and Scotland are relatively untouched, even with significant sea level rise. The east coast though, SE and parts of the midlands are pretty fecked. And it won’t take much either. The Humber and Trent valley will put paid to that . And the larger water inlets in the SE.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #364 on November 04, 2021, 07:25:19 pm by River Don »
Looking at the global map, there aren't many places more vulnerable than the UK to sea level rise in Europe. The Netherlands of course but not that many. France will be largely untouched. Then again France will be baking hot in the summer.

My sister lives in Tottenham. It's a shite hole if you ask me but it's bloody London. She has a neighbour who can remember when it flooded. It was probably the storm surge of 53.

They better hope that Thames flood barrier is sufficient for the next time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #365 on November 04, 2021, 07:38:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Stop the lunacy and get this signed.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/599602/signatures/new

What's the point?

If we don't try and do this then we're f***ed.

And we aren't really trying anyway, most of the measures are either green wash or put off into the future.

The point is, it's the next battle in the far right's Culture War.

They fired up the impressionable over Brexit. Then they got the same people wound up over COVID conspiracies. Now they are aiming to get the same folk out in the streets ready to defend their right to f**k the planet.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #366 on November 04, 2021, 07:55:17 pm by Ldr »
Page one in the Billy book of smears, ‘I don’t agree with it, therefore it’s far right’

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #367 on November 04, 2021, 08:04:07 pm by scawsby steve »
I can see all of you moving to Scawsby very soon.

Then you'll all be under my jurisdiction.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #368 on November 04, 2021, 08:08:32 pm by normal rules »
Looking at the global map, there aren't many places more vulnerable than the UK to sea level rise in Europe. The Netherlands of course but not that many. France will be largely untouched. Then again France will be baking hot in the summer.

My sister lives in Tottenham. It's a shite hole if you ask me but it's bloody London. She has a neighbour who can remember when it flooded. It was probably the storm surge of 53.

They better hope that Thames flood barrier is sufficient for the next time.

It isn’t. It designed to defend against a surge. Rising seas will just go round it. Not only that, but it is placed to protect central London only.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #369 on November 04, 2021, 08:18:36 pm by River Don »
I can see all of you moving to Scawsby very soon.

Then you'll all be under my jurisdiction.

I'm sure I read that Scawsby had a massive cloud burst of rain a few years ago. The fields above the area became saturated and then a slurry of wet soil slid into the houses.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #370 on November 04, 2021, 08:23:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Page one in the Billy book of smears, ‘I don’t agree with it, therefore it’s far right’

No. It's organised by the far right, therefore it's far right.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #371 on November 04, 2021, 10:13:21 pm by SydneyRover »
''Half world’s fossil fuel assets could become worthless by 2036 in net zero transition''

It's already happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2021/nov/04/fossil-fuel-assets-worthless-2036-net-zero-transition

The government has known this has been coming for how long?

''Up to 80 workers at New South Wales' largest coal mine have been ordered by BHP to accept transfers to interstate mines or resign from their positions.

''MELBOURNE, April 30 (Reuters) - As BHP Group (BHP.AX) looks at options to spin off or sell its thermal coal assets, the miner is facing pressure from climate conscious investors who want divergent paths and that's even before getting to the tough task of finding a buyer.

The world’s largest miner has been in talks with stakeholders on its plans to divest the Mt. Arthur thermal coal mine, its stake in a steel-making coal project with Japan's Mitsui (8031.T) and a stake in a thermal coal mine in Colombia.

Some large shareholders are pushing the miner to exit immediately while other investors want a slower exit, to ensure the mine is wound down responsibly''

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-16/bhp-tells-miners-in-nsw-hunter-valley-move-interstate-or-resign/100460530

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #372 on November 04, 2021, 10:39:36 pm by normal rules »
They will replace coal mines with cobalt mines. For electric cars. I believe oz is the second biggest producer in the world.
It has its own health issues, and it f**ks local water supplies where it is mined.
It’s another mineral that in small doses is a good thing, but pulling it from th3 ground in the quantities needed to supply the world hunger for electric cars will not end well.
Then there is how to dispose of it.

To say lithium-ion batteries will become the new oil, but a low-carbon future will almost certainly mean high-cobalt energy storage. In 2017, the world’s battery makers used 41,000 tonnes of cobalt (a third of total production). By 2025, this is expected to increase to 117,000 tonnes.

The surge in production will increase the dangers of exposure to high doses. To prevent this, more studies and better safeguards are needed now – particularly in Congo and other countries where people and habitats are most at risk. Failure to do this will mean batteries wreck lives rather than saving the climate.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #373 on November 04, 2021, 11:40:08 pm by albie »
Cobalt will be removed by new battery chemistries, because it is a high cost element.

The key to reducing costs is replacement of current battery technologies with new generation solid state;
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/29/solid-state-batteries-are-coming-solid-state-batteries-are-coming/

I agree that cobalt mining is highly problematic, but few think it is a long term player.
Innovation in the battery sector is backed by serious R+D budgets, and new chemistries have already been proven in the lab.

The pace of change is going to be rapid across the industry.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:56:09 pm by albie »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #374 on November 05, 2021, 09:08:55 am by Axholme Lion »
Cleethorpes, in the future.

That looks much nicer than Cleethorpes.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #375 on November 05, 2021, 01:13:51 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I still find it difficult to understand why people seem to not care about the environment and planet, I really do.  Maybe it's because I'm an outdoors person with a breathing condition affected by pollution.

The one thing that staggers me is that with Covid we've had isolation, masks, lockdowns etc to save lives.  It's estimated 4 times as many people die every year because of pollution than because of Covid.  It seems ok to accept pollution deaths but not Covid - that cannot be right.

Equally we shouldn't be removing quality of life because of climate change, pollution etc we should be investing properly in alternatives.  That doesn't just include to oil or coal, but to plastics, transport, energy, farming - literally everything.  As an outdoors person for example I need energy drinks (difficult to run marathons etc without them).  Why can I only get them in single use plastic bottles?  Why not reusable?  Why have we no alternative to flying using aviation fuel as yet?  It shouldn't be so hard to achieve.  We often talk about the risk of automation/technology in employment, so why not train many more people in permanent jobs to solve these problems?  If that means higher taxes so be it.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #376 on November 05, 2021, 01:49:55 pm by Axholme Lion »
I still find it difficult to understand why people seem to not care about the environment and planet, I really do.  Maybe it's because I'm an outdoors person with a breathing condition affected by pollution.

The one thing that staggers me is that with Covid we've had isolation, masks, lockdowns etc to save lives.  It's estimated 4 times as many people die every year because of pollution than because of Covid.  It seems ok to accept pollution deaths but not Covid - that cannot be right.

Equally we shouldn't be removing quality of life because of climate change, pollution etc we should be investing properly in alternatives.  That doesn't just include to oil or coal, but to plastics, transport, energy, farming - literally everything.  As an outdoors person for example I need energy drinks (difficult to run marathons etc without them).  Why can I only get them in single use plastic bottles?  Why not reusable?  Why have we no alternative to flying using aviation fuel as yet?  It shouldn't be so hard to achieve.  We often talk about the risk of automation/technology in employment, so why not train many more people in permanent jobs to solve these problems?  If that means higher taxes so be it.

We're being taxed to death as it is. It's the only tune they know.
It's like electric cars, they should prove to us the advantages so we'd all get one, but no all they do is ban ICE and if you can't afford electric it's tough. Hopefully hydrogen will come to the rescue.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #377 on November 05, 2021, 07:00:14 pm by River Don »
Cleethorpes, in the future.

That looks much nicer than Cleethorpes.

Yes, I think it's an island in the Pacific that has been inundated by the rising tides. I bet their fish and chips weren't as good.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #378 on November 05, 2021, 08:21:31 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Derbyshire it is then.

I already live here so suits me.  :P

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #379 on November 05, 2021, 08:27:29 pm by River Don »
So why did the Prime Minister have to get back to London from Glasgow COP 26 that he needed to charter a private jet?

The Daily Mail were interested, so they tailed him. He was met off the plane by an entourage of Range Rovers, that whisked him straight to London.

They went straight to the Garrick Club.

Yes, he wasted all that money and used all that CO2 to get back to his club for drinks. This is how seriously he takes it.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #380 on November 05, 2021, 08:41:29 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
How many foreign holidays has he had in the last few years too? During a feckin pandemic an all?!

I've been to Dunbar by car for 4 nights and spent a week in Westward Ho! in the summer but didn't go by helicopter. Citroen C3 was sufficient.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #382 on November 08, 2021, 09:40:10 am by normal rules »
Snakes in the grass.

There are more delegates at COP26 associated with the fossil fuel industry than from any single country, analysis shared with the BBC shows.
Campaigners led by Global Witness assessed the participant list published by the UN at the start of this meeting.
They found that 503 people with links to fossil fuel interests had been accredited for the climate summit.
These delegates are said to lobby for oil and gas industries, and campaigners say they should be banned.
"The fossil fuel industry has spent decades denying and delaying real action on the climate crisis, which is why this is such a huge problem," says Murray Worthy from Global Witness.
"Their influence is one of the biggest reasons why 25 years of UN climate talks have not led to real cuts in global emissions."

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #383 on November 10, 2021, 05:42:14 pm by normal rules »
Oz seem to be having trouble embracing electric cars.
https://youtu.be/fLflYkgnNBY

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #384 on November 10, 2021, 05:53:23 pm by River Don »
Apparently COP are struggling to come to an agreement on firm commitments to keep the goal of 1.5C alive.

It's very difficult to understand how this can possibly be. I know 1.5C is an arbitrary figure really, 1.5C is by no means ideal it might well be too high but they must be aware of the consequences in letting it slip and surpassing it. 2C is, they think, the crucial point, where they expect feedback loops and a rapid acceleration toward 4C and basically the end of everything.

Half a degree isn't much leeway.

Humans struggle with slow moving things, but often things do move slowly and then fast and all at once. Look at the history of the economy for proof of this.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:06:05 pm by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #385 on November 10, 2021, 08:28:39 pm by SydneyRover »
Oz seem to be having trouble embracing electric cars.
https://youtu.be/fLflYkgnNBY

More than that NR the government has trouble recognising CC at all, period. Their climate change response has more in common with Tommy Cooper's bottle glass, glass bottle routine.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #386 on November 10, 2021, 10:20:25 pm by normal rules »
Apparently COP are struggling to come to an agreement on firm commitments to keep the goal of 1.5C alive.

It's very difficult to understand how this can possibly be. I know 1.5C is an arbitrary figure really, 1.5C is by no means ideal it might well be too high but they must be aware of the consequences in letting it slip and surpassing it. 2C is, they think, the crucial point, where they expect feedback loops and a rapid acceleration toward 4C and basically the end of everything.

Half a degree isn't much leeway.

Humans struggle with slow moving things, but often things do move slowly and then fast and all at once. Look at the history of the economy for proof of this.

If you consider the global sacrifices that were imposed by covid lockdowns. The reality of what needs to happen to get climate change and global warming in check is like global lockdown, but multiplied many many times over. And for a considerable time.
Countries, governments , people, are simply not prepared to make this level of sacrifice. We will, as a race, pay a very heavy price for this.
They are saying that 2.5 degrees increase by end of this century is the current reality.
That will be catastrophic for eco systems across the globe.
Utterly devasting for Many low lying countries across every continent including the uk.
More extremes of weather. More drought, more floods, more famine. Extreme heat.
Biblical levels of migration.not economic, not fleeing conflict. But climate refugees.
Reports on the news tonight that Cape Town is the first major global city to run out of water. They are cutting down pine trees to try to stop them taking up,water.you cannot make this shit up.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #387 on November 12, 2021, 12:43:13 pm by sha66y »
People might take this a bit more serious if they labelled it correctly!

Saving the planet?…..NO!

Saving parts of Humanity………very Probably!

The planet is going nowhere and will take care of whatever new environment it gets saddled with, however huge amounts of people will die……it’s by time the media used the correct wording if only as an impact statement…

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #388 on November 14, 2021, 11:30:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
COP26 is looking like a disaster.

We are heading for a very bad place.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #389 on November 14, 2021, 06:53:20 pm by albie »
A disaster indeed.
Here is a useful thread from Climate Action Tracker on the extent of the problem;
https://twitter.com/climateactiontr/status/1458072899122655236

The vested interests hold the political process in hock to their donations and sponsorships, so no surprise if they succeed in deflection via these international corporate lobby festivals.

It always amazes me when people think that these fundamental questions can be resolved through the economic systems which brought them about....they can't.

Not much chance of the toddlers running our political parties and country seeing that any time soon!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012