Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:33:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 4/10 see me!!  (Read 2146 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
4/10 see me!!
« on March 22, 2011, 07:35:36 pm by sha66y »
this season as been very poor in comparison to every one before it, i beleive that at this stage of our development as a \"Championship\" steady eddie, we should be at a stage where the bench looks like this:
oster
stock
coppinger
sharp
woods (goalie)
mills
Dumbuya

the first 11 should by now be well established, and anyone not on that list should have been plying there trade at whatever level they eventually aspired to..... instead we have a lot of \"not good enough\" players who have been found out, and will only suck the clubs finances dry
we need a \"cull\" and a severe one at that!!

rant over, just waiting for my season tickets to arrive for another wonderfull season of highs and lows  
:scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris

• Forum Member
Re: 4/10 see me!!
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2011, 08:30:00 pm by Chris »
Why should we be at a stage where Oster, Stock, Coppinger and Sharp are only good enough for our bench?

Any ideas on where we would find the money to bring in players better than all of these?

keepmoatman

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2011, 08:40:23 pm by keepmoatman »
beggers belief post really   :headbang:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2011, 08:48:51 pm by RobTheRover »
Although I dont agree with the \"bench\" analogy, I can see where he is coming from.  We have outgrown a few players, or have hung onto some for too long.

A bit of broomsmanship (and brinksmanship, no doubt) is required in the summer to clear the way and secure the players needed to kick us on.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2011, 10:21:17 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry I cant see where either of you are coming from? Is the OP saying that we should cut some of our high eaners (better players) and replace them with even better players - here we are of course talking premier league quality players, eg Yakubu, Bullard or aspirational lower div ones, Lambert, Mackail-Smith, where we would be looking at decent transfer fees and wages?
Or is he suggesting that we should be replacing existing 'squad' players with better quality 'squad' players - because that is not what I read into his post. Can anyone imagine Stock, Coppinger or Sharp being happy sitting on the bench at Rovers - or how much it would cost to be able to afford the calibre of player to replace them - in wages let alone transfer fees. Wishing is one thing, stupidity is another.

If we stay up this season will be 7/10 for me, who would have thought we would be in with a chance of the play-offs up until Christmas, but realise we are a small club with a small squad, not Real Madrid

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2011, 10:28:45 pm by RobTheRover »
I read it as what we all know to be true - that our strength in depth is just not there.  Having Stock, Martis, Sharp et al on the bench is lunacy - but not having players closer to their quality in the wings has been our downfall this season, plus a little bit of healthy competition for places can only be a good thing.  Our first XI have become a very good Championship side, but they can rest on their laurels a bit (when fit) if they were so disposed because the second string are a clear step down in quality.  That needs to be addressed in the summer.  I dont think anyone is advocating blowing the entire transfer budget (plus a ton more) on someone like Yakubu, but I'd be more than happy with a couple more rough gems like Dumbuya and Mills.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 23, 2011, 06:45:24 am by roversdude »
I agree with the fact that our squad has been stretched beyond belief this season due to injuries and the naive belief that Brooker would ever be fit (shame as in his cameo appearances he looked decent) but just remember a few years ago we didnt even have a kit

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 23, 2011, 07:51:10 am by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=147603
I read it as what we all know to be true - that our strength in depth is just not there.  Having Stock, Martis, Sharp et al on the bench is lunacy - but not having players closer to their quality in the wings has been our downfall this season, plus a little bit of healthy competition for places can only be a good thing.  Our first XI have become a very good Championship side, but they can rest on their laurels a bit (when fit) if they were so disposed because the second string are a clear step down in quality.  That needs to be addressed in the summer.  I dont think anyone is advocating blowing the entire transfer budget (plus a ton more) on someone like Yakubu, but I'd be more than happy with a couple more rough gems like Dumbuya and Mills.

Thought ROKs comments after the QPR game were interesting, he said that they had been following the lad who scored from his days at West Ham. SOD always says  that they have a list of targets (reinforced by ROK's comments yesterday) and generally they do good business in the summer when the budgets are set etc. It must be like playing the fantasy league but with a third of the budget of anyone else.
For me every season we stay in the Championship is at least 8/10

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
Re: 9/10 !!
« Reply #8 on March 23, 2011, 09:28:05 am by CusworthRovers »
9/10 for me. Take a Heads merit for your efforts. I think this season has been the most challenging, most demanding and most difficult.....yet with a near reserve team (and many clubs will consider our first team their reserve team), we are coming through it and heading for mid table comforts.

It's worth considering that our coaching staff have had to face the best of Prem 2 with a 2nd team, they've had to re-hash the way we have played for the last 5 odd years (and what we all know to be robotic to the players), and develop a system to allow the effective 2nd team to play/compete.

When we had our first team we were mid-upper Championship and holding our own there, it's only when the tsunami of injuries hit us, that the blip hit us......yet we have come through it.

Talking of a lack of quality in the squad, it's been a great opportunity for these players to show their mettle. Had we the perfect 11 un-injured, then I doubt Muzzy would have developed the way he has, Mills/Moussa/Euell/Killa wouldn't have been needed, with no need to try and sign. Now we have seen those players and Sean will know now if they are worthy of this team. Sam has re-found himself and made himself Mr Versatile. Friend, has been forced to play CH, and now look what's happening with him.

There are many positives to come out of this injury crisis.

As for strength in depth, yet again this thread akins to too many hours on Footy Manager and other Football Computer Games, resulting in posts that should go on a footy games forum rather than here. How on gods earth are we going to put 6 x 8-10k/week players to sit on the bench week in week out. To put them type on the bench, the first team would all be on something like £15k/week............hmmmm, currently I don't think so

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 23, 2011, 09:30:22 am by DonnyNoel »
I get the OPs logic and technically he's correct. To get 73+ pts over a 46(!) game season you need a very good squad. Even in this third season in the CCC there are games where I'm still shocked by the quality of some opponents benches.

In realistic terms though, we're struggling financially to have first teamers around the £7k-£10k p/w bracket. If those players suddenly become the backup, I dread to think what the new first teamers would be on.

I bet if you listed the wages of the 22 players on the pitch against Ipswich, the top 11 earners would all be Ipswich players. Like most, I see staying up as a minimum 7 out of 10.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 23, 2011, 11:46:19 am by MiKA »
Copps on the bench! you're having a laugh    :thumbsup: :) :laugh: :cheer: :lol: :woohoo: :side:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 23, 2011, 12:24:26 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=147623

Thought ROKs comments after the QPR game were interesting, he said that they had been following the lad who scored from his days at West Ham. SOD always says  that they have a list of targets (reinforced by ROK's comments yesterday) and generally they do good business in the summer when the budgets are set etc. It must be like playing the fantasy league but with a third of the budget of anyone else.

I agree completely.  What was telling at the start of the season is that some of the bookies had us down as a comfortable mid-table finish, after two seasons uf completely underestimating us.  But for injuries and slack late goals conceded over a fortnight period we could have surprised a few by getting into the playoffs - the margins are that fine.

I agree with Cussy that to survive with the team we have been forced to play with will be quite an achievement.  I cant remember the last time we played with anything resembling what I'd consider our first XI.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 23, 2011, 07:26:38 pm by hoolahoop »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=147642
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=147623

I agree completely.  What was telling at the start of the season is that some of the bookies had us down as a comfortable mid-table finish, after two seasons uf completely underestimating us.  But for injuries and slack late goals conceded over a fortnight period we could have surprised a few by getting into the playoffs - the margins are that fine.

I agree with Cussy that to survive with the team we have been forced to play with will be quite an achievement.  I cant remember the last time we played with anything resembling what I'd consider our first XI.

I agree with both you and Cussie, SO'D has done wonders considering the problems we've had. 8/10 from me all things considered the OP has a point but we quite simply don't have the money and btw Copps would be in many a 1st.11 at this level but I do see where he is coming from.

When/if the Board REALLY want to go for promo to the Prem. then we would need just those sort of quality players to achieve this.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 24, 2011, 01:13:44 am by DMnumber4 »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=147592
Although I dont agree with the \"bench\" analogy, I can see where he is coming from.  We have outgrown a few players, or have hung onto some for too long.

A bit of broomsmanship (and brinksmanship, no doubt) is required in the summer to clear the way and secure the players needed to kick us on.

The ones mentioned though would all be starters for me :S

just remember a few years ago we didnt even have a kit

while this is true, and we should appreciate how far we have come, we shouldnt ever want to stop wanting to progress. What we've achieved in 13 years is nothing short of phonomenal :scarf: , but when things move at such a rapid pace, progression is always to be expected.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 24, 2011, 06:40:06 pm by sha66y »
i am pleased that some actually read between the lines (RTR) :thumbsup: , and understood the direction of my argument ,
HOWEVER NOBODY EVEN CAME CLOSE TO BERATING ME FOR THE PLAYERS I SAW FIT TO CULL?

no screaming for inclusions, just an acceptance that all those involved in the cull, were the right lot............

the idea of the \"bench\" was an obvious hypothetical, merely pointing out that we should be developing and scouting players for the future, not hoping the mediocre we currently have , will somehow come good.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012