Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:22:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Putting things into perspective  (Read 6070 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Putting things into perspective
« on February 23, 2016, 03:19:47 am by les@donr »
I've avoided making any comments to the knee jerk reactions going on here. Yes we are in a poor run of games. However, when Fergie took over we were 2nd bottom in the league and looking dead certs for relegation. Yes we could still be relegated, it is not impossible. However, I believe DF will turn our club around, he might just keep us up, but what is important is to give him the Summer to rebuild the squad as how he wants to take the club forward. He is still having to work with a number of PD signings whom I expect he will soon move on. We have to give the guy a chance, and let him do what he needs to do. I'm sure he is personally hurting every time we lose a game, because it reflects back on him. At this time DF needs our backing more than at any other time, not slagging him, which only achieves to demoralize him and the squad further.

:rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Putting things into perspective
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2016, 04:24:56 am by PDX_Rover »
Well said.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2016, 06:29:03 am by godlike1 »
I agree

in fairness I went to the Barnsley game expecting an improved performance and did not think we did that badly.

I went with the expectation we would get beat so I did not get too disappointed, however felt we were worthy of a point at least.

My dad who is an very harsh critic of rovers thought the same as well.

Somethings I did notice were:

You could tell Barnsley were full of confidence at the beginning and we weren't but we stuck in there and grew into the game. Not conceding an early goal definitely helped.

Cameron Stewart cannot defend, he showed willing but he's just not up to it and too easily knocked of the ball.

Did Harry Middleton play? I genuinely had to check the line up half way through the game to check and see if i'd read it properly. He made 1 good tackle and pass but I was really disappointed and he was right to be subbed at half time

Keegan is not a play maker, his passing and decision making was really bad, I think he is clearly lacking confidence and should be asked to just do what he is good at which is tackling and nothing else

Copp's when he came on he was one of the few (although he did make some mistakes) who showed some composure on the ball and can make a pass. id be tempted to start him in the middle next sat

Williams - he ran around a lot and did show determination, with not great service but when we did get the few chances we had he should be there taking them

Tyson - looked strong determined, unlucky to not get many decisions his way

Grant - disappointing, is he a defensive or attacking midfielder? can he play behind the front 2 at the top of a midfield diamond. He looks lightweight and could not pass. He also kept getting caught on the ball. I think him in this position with copps and keegan behind him could work

Cedric - one of the few bright lights but is still not a great defender hence why he has been moved to wing back

Lund - still looks lightweight but did ok defensively and as a wingback, he's not really got the skills as a wingback though.   

Stuckman - I think gets flustered as the other team start getting more shots than they should and makes misjudments such as the shot he tried to save which led to the goal

McCullough - I thought he showed a calm head and kept Barnsley at bay most of the time but when the midfield go missing in front of him like it did for the goal he is found wanting

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2016, 09:15:32 am by graingrover »
We have got the best combination of Board , CEO and Team Manager we have ever had . Once you have that you can start to build . Some basic beliefs have lead to strategies that augur well ... The  Community Club  strategy has lead to the development of Club Doncaster and ongoing support of local charities . Development of relations with schools and local sports club is ongoing .
               From a playing point of view we have recently recruited a proven Manager who is a positive thinker .

Our fan base is to be proud of ... Supporters Board , Black Bank .

It's obviously hard for some people  to ride disappointing results but when you look at the broader picture there are many reasons to continue to support the club and believe in those who own and run it . By the way , the older you get the clearer the view of the broad picture .. so stick in there young folk.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2016, 09:33:36 am by The Red Baron »
I think the long-term outlook is pretty good, but the short-to-medium term stuff is the problem. By that I mean we have a lot of players on two year contracts who have shown they are either not good enough or don't fit with how the manager wants to play.

It concerns me that another season scudding about the middle of this god-awful league, or worse still going down, will blow all those plans and good intentions out of the water. Because we seem to be losing the fans we drew back to the club over the last decade purely down to performance on the pitch.

This isn't me saying that the owners should spend even more money. I don't know what the solution is. But someone at the club needs to recognise the problem.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2016, 10:50:40 am by Colin C No.3 »
Fergie inherited a poor squad. Many of that squad will still be under contract next season, that'll be a concern for him. The younger players have been 'introduced' into a side that is struggling to get results, that puts added pressure on them to perform in order to 'influence' results positively, whereas in an ideal world they'd be playing in a team which is full of confidence grown from good results & performances which allows them to 'grow' as first team players at a pace consummate to improving them as players. This again will be a concern to Fergie, but he has few options at present.

The more experienced players, Copps, Williams, Butler, Tyson are struggling too. They're struggling because they've yet to find a system, intuitively, instinctively call it what you will, of playing 'off one another' & in doing so being able then to influence players around them to 'buy into' what is needed to build a team mentality that you can call on, rely on to get you through games.

Fergie intimated in interview when he first came that there were 'things' inside the club that he felt needed changing, not only on the playing side.

Now whether he's alluding to the scouting system, transfers not being dealt with promptly or properly, emphasis being placed on the wrong things at the wrong time, monies not being made available quickly enough I don't know.

But I happen to trust in this manager to get things changed for the better. I trust him to give us much better performances which in turn will bring  better results next season. I trust him to ensure we remain in this division this season.

It's been a tough watch for us this season. I'll not rake over all the why's & why not's, we all have our own take on things but I say, let's do 'our bit' for the remainder of this season. Cheer the boy's on, bite hard on your knuckles when things don't go right on the pitch, trust in DF & I truly believe we'll be a Championship side again by (if not before) season 2019/2020.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2016, 01:32:10 pm by mrfrostsdad »
We have got the best combination of Board , CEO and Team Manager we have ever had . Once you have that you can start to build . Some basic beliefs have lead to strategies that augur well ... The  Community Club  strategy has lead to the development of Club Doncaster and ongoing support of local charities . Development of relations with schools and local sports club is ongoing .
               From a playing point of view we have recently recruited a proven Manager who is a positive thinker .

It's obviously hard for some people  to ride disappointing results but when you look at the broader picture there are many reasons to continue to support the club and believe in those who own and run it . By the way , the older you get the clearer the view of the broad picture .. so stick in there young folk.

The best combination of board, manager etc we ever had was the first two seasons in the Championship.
And by far the best team we've had in the last 50 years

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2016, 01:39:34 pm by graingrover »
OK ... so ?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2016, 03:03:49 pm by bpoolrover »
Frosts dad got to agree with that,while I have no problem with the owners we certainly miss jr desire and buzz he brought to the club

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 23, 2016, 04:20:02 pm by the vicar »
I agree

in fairness I went to the Barnsley game expecting an improved performance and did not think we did that badly.

I went with the expectation we would get beat so I did not get too disappointed, however felt we were worthy of a point at least.

You could tell Barnsley were full of confidence at the beginning and we weren't but we stuck in there and grew into the game. Not conceding an early goal definitely helped.

Cameron Stewart cannot defend, he showed willing but he's just not up to it and too easily knocked of the ball.

Did Harry Middleton play? I genuinely had to check the line up half way through the game to check and see if i'd read it properly. He made 1 good tackle and pass but I was really disappointed and he was right to be subbed at half time

Keegan is not a play maker, his passing and decision making was really bad, I think he is clearly lacking confidence and should be asked to just do what he is good at which is tackling and nothing else

Copp's when he came on he was one of the few (although he did make some mistakes) who showed some composure on the ball and can make a pass. id be tempted to start him in the middle next sat

Williams - he ran around a lot and did show determination, with not great service but when we did get the few chances we had he should be there taking them

Grant - disappointing, is he a defensive or attacking midfielder? can he play behind the front 2 at the top of a midfield diamond. He looks lightweight and could not pass. He also kept getting caught on the ball. I think him in this position with copps and keegan behind him could work

Cedric - one of the few bright lights but is still not a great defender hence why he has been moved to wing back

Lund - still looks lightweight but did ok defensively and as a wingback, he's not really got the skills as a wingback though.   

Stuckman - I think gets flustered as the other team start getting more shots than they should and makes misjudments such as the shot he tried to save which led to the goal

McCullough - I thought he showed a calm head and kept Barnsley at bay most of the time but when the midfield go missing in front of him like it did for the goal he is found wanting
godlike why do you think they are with us, you say they make mistakes, if they din't they would be in the premiorship or at least the top end of the championship

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2016, 06:02:16 pm by RedJ »

The best combination of board, manager etc we ever had was the first two seasons in the Championship.

Imagine if we had Gavin as CEO at that time...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2016, 10:45:52 pm by drfchound »
I agree

godlike why do you think they are with us, you say they make mistakes, if they din't they would be in the premiorship or at least the top end of the championship

On the few occasions that I watch match of the day these days I see PL players make plenty of mistakes too.
Recently Curtis Main got lots if stick for a header he missed FOR OLDHAM for gods sake.
Only last week I saw a PL striker miss one just the same.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 27, 2016, 04:10:11 pm by les@donr »
I think the difference for me between PD and DF is that I never had the faith in PD to turn things around whereas I believe DF will turn things around this season, and plan for promotion for next season during the Summer, bringing in his own players, and getting rid of the below par players PD brought in.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 01, 2016, 11:51:21 pm by les@donr »
I think the current run shows the thinness of our squad and the lack of depth of quality of the players we have, most signed by PD. Therefore, DF has to get to the Summer before he can start building the squad how he wants it to be. I'm sure the Board will have the funds to back him.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 02, 2016, 12:11:44 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Imagine if we had Gavin as CEO at that time...

Will somebody please tell me what this guy has achieved?, i'm interested, because half of the fans have never met him. He was headhunted from a failing council, and suddenly he is Lee Iacocca!!.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 02, 2016, 08:24:44 am by bobjimwilly »
Making the stadium turn a profit for the 1st time
Facilitating fan engagement programmes and actually listening to supporters
Arranged bi-annual meet the owners events

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 02, 2016, 09:14:45 am by MrFrost »

Yep listening to supporters yet we still have issues with many of the things that are complained about. The catering and Rovers Player being two out of many.

The meet the owners thing is nothing new. I remember going to one at The Dome years ago. There were about 1500 there at that one. How many were at the last one?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 02, 2016, 10:37:24 am by TheFunk »
He is always walking around talking to fans on matchday. He certainly doesn't have any prawn sarnies pre match.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 02, 2016, 11:27:26 am by dickos1 »
I can't believe who some of you think are to blame for a poor run of form
If we were still winning all this nonsense wouldn't be happening and thats down to the manager and players nobody else

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 02, 2016, 11:58:58 am by mrfrostsdad »
He is always walking around talking to fans on matchday. He certainly doesn't have any prawn sarnies pre match.

Yes, we're making a profit on the stadium. The rest of it is warlocks. He's never engaged with me. I've been sat in the same seat since the stadium opened. I've been a STH for years and have been watching the team for 50 years.

He walks round and talks to the fans? Really? I've never seen him. And he listens to the fans? He may, but nothing really changes. The catering is still a shambles, the selling of our club none existent. And as I said on a
previous thread: the meet the owners nights are just for all the bum lickers and yes men to attend and say what a good job everyone is doing. Yeah. That's why we're in the position were in now.

One thing you could almost guarantee: if John Ryan had £600 million stashed away we wouldn't be staring League 2 in the face

TinyPortal © 2005-2012