Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:56:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Game off  (Read 12875 times)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: Game off
« Reply #90 on March 12, 2013, 03:26:30 pm by donnievic »
Did you actually read SM's post?  Postponing a game costs money, so why deliberately do that on for the chances of a better result later, when we've just got 3 points away from home at one of the best teams in the division?
no it didn't as I posted near enough the same time thank you for asking

OK fair do's.  I still don't think anyone wanted a postponement.
not saying they did but with the amount if games we have played in short space of time and last 2 being away gives players with niggles more time to recover and of course others who are injured a chance to have a fitter squad to pick from when it is eventually played in front of a bigger crowd to boot.

As the the heater people have said the cost alot of money to even hire so is it worth it to get them????

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on March 12, 2013, 03:30:37 pm by donnievic »
If you knew how much it costs the club to postpone a game on the day it should be played none of you would subscribe to the conspiracy theory. Rearranged games never draw the same crowd, nor do they attract the same people who pay for hospitality, or sponsors, or advertisers. The programme which has already been produced doesn't sell the same, extra costs are incurred by having to stand down all the match day staff, the ball boys, the mascots etc etc etc. The list is endless.

Some good points there, however should the rearranged fixture be an opportunity to seal promotion then some of those theories will be blown out of the window. More importantly lets try and take the positives, we have a blank week whilst our opponents on Saturday play tonight. It gives the squad an opportunity to recharge their batteries and I would strongly suggest the club try and have the re-arranged fixture played on Tuesday 9th April. The reason for that is that our opponents on Saturday 13th April (Crewe) are playing on Wednesday 10th April at home to Brentford so effectively the team would have an extra days rest on our opponents at Gresty Road.

that is near enough how I ment to put things across,end of the day it does us no harm at all not playing tonight apart from money which we should get more of an income through gate receipts with a bigger crowd when it is played??

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on March 12, 2013, 03:43:27 pm by MrFrost »
6 degrees outside now, and has been for several hours.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on March 12, 2013, 03:57:03 pm by donnievic »
Thanks for that Michael

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 12, 2013, 04:11:46 pm by MrFrost »
Thanks for that Michael

I'd like to ask the question how a game cannot be playable when the temperature has been 6 degrees above freezing for the majority of the day.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on March 12, 2013, 04:14:25 pm by vaya »
Thanks for that Michael

I'd like to ask the question how a game cannot be playable when the temperature has been 6 degrees above freezing for the majority of the day.

Maybe there's no direct correlation between air temperature and ground temperature?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on March 12, 2013, 04:16:45 pm by donnievic »
Thanks for that Michael
you can certainly ask but we don't know how hard the pitch was at 12 and even now with the frozen part no doubt being the south stand goal where no sun light will get.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on March 12, 2013, 04:30:55 pm by bobjimwilly »
Thanks for that Michael

Serious questions here - do you actually read other peoples posts?

I also made the point about having to let the away supporters now. All the club have to go on is weather forecasts, not hindsight.

Jesus wept, it seems I got the answer to my last post in this thread...

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on March 12, 2013, 04:34:21 pm by MachoMadness »
Just to clarify what I said earlier, I wasn't slating the ground staff for not getting the game on. However surely common sense should tell the officials that maybe just waiting an hour to make a decision would be better. I know there's away fans who need to know, but an hour, coupled with the temperature not being that low surely means the ground would obviously be fine by 7:45? It's been absolutely fine all day, surely the small part of the pitch that was in the shade was salvageable in nearly 8 hours.

I remember when England played Poland and it was pissing it down, they still delayed the inspection and decision by an hour to try and get the game on even though it was obviously never going to happen. Don't see why the officials couldn't have used the same sort of thinking in a far less extreme situation where there was a real possibility the game could be played. Again, not having a go at the groundstaff, far from it, I think they would have gotten the game on if allowed, but I still question the decision by the officials.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on March 12, 2013, 05:26:14 pm by hoolahoop »
Total journey time from Carlisle to Doncaster is c. 2 1/2 hrs. A pitch inspection at 3/4 p.m might have been better for a night match surely ?
Midday inspections are usually for afternoon ko's, judging from those facts it must have been obvious that the game was highly unlikely to take place when the decision for a midday inspection was decided upon yesterday.  :blink:

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on March 12, 2013, 05:35:03 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Total journey time from Carlisle to Doncaster is c. 2 1/2 hrs. A pitch inspection at 3/4 p.m might have been better for a night match surely ?
Midday inspections are usually for afternoon ko's, judging from those facts it must have been obvious that the game was highly unlikely to take place when the decision for a midday inspection was decided upon yesterday.  :blink:

My thoughts as well

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on March 12, 2013, 05:37:22 pm by donnievic »
That's ok for the fans just about but I think their players would have been setting off around 12ish

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on March 12, 2013, 05:45:42 pm by silent majority »
Thanks for that Michael

Ah Mr Frost, your confusing 'Sensible Heat' with 'Latent Heat'. If the pitch is frozen it would need a large chunk of energy without necessarily seeing a rise in temperature or a change of state.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on March 12, 2013, 05:48:41 pm by grayx »
If you knew how much it costs the club to postpone a game on the day it should be played none of you would subscribe to the conspiracy theory. Rearranged games never draw the same crowd, nor do they attract the same people who pay for hospitality, or sponsors, or advertisers. The programme which has already been produced doesn't sell the same, extra costs are incurred by having to stand down all the match day staff, the ball boys, the mascots etc etc etc. The list is endless.

Well if this is the case SM i think someone is not doing their job. This game should have been playable tonight.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on March 12, 2013, 05:49:41 pm by MrFrost »
Funny how the vast majority of other clubs haven't had a problem. Just saying.
Was the pitch covered? Sky Sports coverage suggest it wasn't.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on March 12, 2013, 05:51:56 pm by PDX_Rover »
You know what? Probably the best thing that could have happened. Gives the team time to rest and for those nursing injuries to get fit again, for the the final push.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on March 12, 2013, 06:03:18 pm by River Don »
You know what? Probably the best thing that could have happened. Gives the team time to rest and for those nursing injuries to get fit again, for the the final push.

Yep a little break won't do us any harm at all.

I'm not too disappointed either, it'll be freezing tonight.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on March 12, 2013, 06:05:47 pm by RedJ »

The vast majority of clubs don't play next to a lake, which I believe does make a difference (although I stand to be corrected).

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on March 12, 2013, 06:15:25 pm by silent majority »

Well if this is the case SM i think someone is not doing their job. This game should have been playable tonight.

But that's your opinion, which unfortunately doesn't fit the facts.

DaveOfDonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on March 12, 2013, 06:17:21 pm by DaveOfDonny »
It seems to me like there has been more postponements at the KM than there used to be at OBV...

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 12, 2013, 06:19:49 pm by River Don »
It seems to me like there has been more postponements at the KM than there used to be at OBV...

It has a big roof giving more shade particularly from the south stand. It's usually the southern edge of the pitch that is the problem.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on March 12, 2013, 06:24:45 pm by The Red Baron »
I agree with RD's point, but we've also had a succession of cold winters since we moved to the KMS. The chap from Donny Council who said that "global warming" would obviate the need for undersoil heating must go down with that A & R man at Decca who thought that "guitar groups are on their way out" after listening to The Beatles.

DaveOfDonny

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on March 12, 2013, 06:27:03 pm by DaveOfDonny »
There must be some cost effective way of preventing this happening too often, like renting them gas heater blowers they use on building sites to use on the problem areas, or something.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on March 12, 2013, 06:32:35 pm by hoolahoop »

Frosty if you look at the OS you will see that there were covers on the pitch. I take it that those are covers that have been pulled back in the background. Don't believe Skysports, it's like believing the Sun newspaper!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on March 12, 2013, 06:38:33 pm by Draytonian III »
Right what`s on telly tonight  ,BBC 1 . Eastenders
                                                             Holby City
                                                             Masterchef

BBC 2.   Great British Fixer
                                                             Alex Polizzi -The Fixer
                                                              The Railways

ITV .      Barcelona v A C Milan

CH4 .      Supersize vs Superskinny
                                                              16 Kids and Counting

CH5 .    New Cowboy Builders
                                                             Whale Adventure
                                                             CSI

Plus many more on Sky and Freeview etc.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on March 12, 2013, 06:41:51 pm by drfc1951 »
Are we still moaning about this it been 6hours now ffs.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on March 12, 2013, 06:45:55 pm by The Red Baron »
OK, let's look forward now. Is there anything that can be done to try to ensure that Saturday's game goes ahead? Looking at the weather forecast the temperatures should rise from Thursday afternoon onwards, which would help. However, will this be enough to deal with the parts of the pitch that are frozen?

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to have one game called off would be misfortune; to have two called off would be carelessness.

CJK

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on March 12, 2013, 06:46:34 pm by CJK »
Just to add a bit of weight to the argument about air temperature being cooler near water, I know a bit about this.

The temperature of water changes much more slowly than that of air. Because of this, water in lakes is usually significantly colder than the ambient air surrounding it. The colder temperatures of the water will usually lower the air temperature in the immediate vicinity.

I imagine that the lake does influence the micro climate in and around the lakeside area as opposed to further away from the lake. Obviously it doesn't help with the sunlight not getting to certain parts of the ground and the current state of the pitch, all considered its not surprising the game is off.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on March 12, 2013, 06:57:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
I walked round the lake this morning before 11am. The grass around the lake and near the Keepmoat was not frozen. Ruts in the mud were sgt and not hard.
The problem is the design of the pitch, which even without frost is hard. To keep the grass green pitch lights are required money should be made available if we continue with this pitch design. It's over now the game is cancelled, but the pictures from Sky shows the pitch is white. So was the pitch left uncovered? I doubt. Maybe the snow flurries before the inspection, when the covers had been removed, coated the pitch.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on March 12, 2013, 07:29:45 pm by grayx »

But that's your opinion, which unfortunately doesn't fit the facts.

I think you will find thats not just my opinion. But you're right we dont have access to all of the facts that you obviously have.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012